Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

eddiewalker posted:

I borrowed one. It functioned but leaked and it was pretty scary to lower since the difference between "holding" and "falling" was like a 1/16th turn.

Do you have an exposed beam available? The HF beam trolley+manual chain hoist works very well and it's much easier to store.

Ha, I had been using a poo poo 1-1/2 ton HF racing jack for a decade plus so I'm used to the binary hydraulic release.

No beams overhead, working outdoors. I figure I can get the 1-ton and a load leveler for $130 with some aggressive couponing, which is about the cost of renting a hoist for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

monsterzero posted:

Anybody have experience with Harbor Freight's engine hoists?

I'm pulling a Subaru H6 and think i should be able to get away with the 1-ton, since it can lift 500lbs 50" out. Is there any compelling reason to get the 2-ton? I can't imagine I'll ever pull anything heavier than a 500lb LM7.

The main difference to me is the physical size. The 1-ton is pretty small/compact. I bought one, then realized that it literally couldn't reach the middle of my engine without taking the whole front of the car apart. So I got a 2-ton, which reaches fine with some to spare. But with a little subaru it's probably fine. Check craigslist too; you can sometimes find lightly used stuff for cheap. I got my 2-ton from someone for $100 from someone who needed to clean out their garage, and it hadn't even been stored outside or anything.

E: Also, consider that the load rating is 1 ton at the shortest boom setting. It's 1/4 ton (500lb) at the farthest setting. So going to a bigger hoist will let you lift, say, a 500lb engine with a trans without exceeding its limits with the boom extended all the way.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 11, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

The main difference to me is the physical size. The 1-ton is pretty small/compact. I bought one, then realized that it literally couldn't reach the middle of my engine without taking the whole front of the car apart. So I got a 2-ton, which reaches fine with some to spare. But with a little subaru it's probably fine. Check craigslist too; you can sometimes find lightly used stuff for cheap. I got my 2-ton from someone for $100 from someone who needed to clean out their garage, and it hadn't even been stored outside or anything.

E: Also, consider that the load rating is 1 ton at the shortest boom setting. It's 1/4 ton (500lb) at the farthest setting. So going to a bigger hoist will let you lift, say, a 500lb engine with a trans without exceeding its limits with the boom extended all the way.

Yeah. I'll break out the measuring tape and check the depth issue. The Subie should be no problem but it might not reach high/far enough for my Silverado. I didn't think about pulling with the transmission, which is a good point.

I wish I could find one used for cheap. I've been watching CL and FB groups since I knew this was going to happen, and everything for sale is as much or more as a new HF one with coupons. I need more wrenching friends, because in a perfect world I should be able to borrow one for two weeks for a case of beer.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

monsterzero posted:

Yeah. I'll break out the measuring tape and check the depth issue. The Subie should be no problem but it might not reach high/far enough for my Silverado. I didn't think about pulling with the transmission, which is a good point.

I wish I could find one used for cheap. I've been watching CL and FB groups since I knew this was going to happen, and everything for sale is as much or more as a new HF one with coupons. I need more wrenching friends, because in a perfect world I should be able to borrow one for two weeks for a case of beer.

Well, if you're in the bay area you can borrow mine :shobon:

Your profile says Chico, though, so probably a bit far

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Raluek posted:

Well, if you're in the bay area you can borrow mine :shobon:

Your profile says Chico, though, so probably a bit far

Yeah, just a bit. Would you deliver for two cases of Sierra Nevada?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

monsterzero posted:

Yeah, just a bit. Would you deliver for two cases of Sierra Nevada?

I think it would cost me about as much as the value of the hoist to drive up there and back (no overdrive, shaped like a brick), so I don't think so :v:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

monsterzero posted:

I used the 1 ton HF lift during my ez30d swap and it worked fine on a gc impreza. I don't remember if it was fully extended or not but it cleared everything fine with the car on jack stands, also with the HF load leveler

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Here is something awesome none us realized we needed until JUST NOW:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFFR7C2

Use coupon code JOEEPL3H and it's only $9.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

toplitzin posted:

Here is something awesome none us realized we needed until JUST NOW:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XFFR7C2

Use coupon code JOEEPL3H and it's only $9.

Half the fun of working is the mouth full of screws and bolts.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Is that blood taste the bolt or me?"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bought a concrete grinding disc from Amazon. The English translation is pretty great all around.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Larrymer posted:

Bought a concrete grinding disc from Amazon. The English translation is pretty great all around.

Is the risk of shattering this really worth the $30 you save?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I just got a HF 44" cabinet with 18" side cab from a coworker for cheap and it makes me regret buying my lovely craftsman top/bottom combo at all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

CarForumPoster posted:

That thing is a ticket to early retirement. I mean that in both good and bad ways.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CarForumPoster posted:

the first rule of dealing with spinnamathings is DON'T STAND IN THE DEBRIS PATH.

I'd rock it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

It's not a thin cutoff wheel. A billion other reviews on amazon say good or at least ok things, and none mentioned it exploding. I need to grind a small area so it seems appropriate.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQQR3DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better believe I'll be wearing a good mask, goggles, gloves and using a dust shield/shop vac with it, though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CarForumPoster posted:

I bought the same one and did my garage floor with a hand grinder. It's fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Larrymer posted:

It's not a thin cutoff wheel. A billion other reviews on amazon say good or at least ok things, and none mentioned it exploding. I need to grind a small area so it seems appropriate.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CQQR3DW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Better believe I'll be wearing a good mask, goggles, gloves and using a dust shield/shop vac with it, though.

No one who posted a review had it explode.

Or...

No one who had it explode was physically capable of posting a review :v:

I've bought and survived worse.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

haha, just enjoy the lovely translation and if you keep seeing me poo poo posting then you'll know it was fine. THE END

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Some parents get teary eyed when they send their kids away to college.

Clipped out a 20% coupon off and a free flashlight and sent my son off alone into the bowels of Harbor Freight.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I just bought a vacuum pump there to ward off the a/c gremlins that lurk in South Texas summers.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Got my prime day haul last night. Multimeter, cordless screwdriver and an electric ugger dugger. I will now over tighten all the things until it burns out because it is poorly made hence being on prime day for $120 off.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This won't work for every phone (especially if you use a case), but as I work out of my truck, this is friggin amazing and worth every penny:

Forrader C3 Qi Car Charger Cup Holder Wireless + Wired 2 in 1 Charger for Samsung Galaxy S6, iPhone 7 and Other Qi-enabled Phones, Black (Be Applicable with Phone Less Than 5.3 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JXECBA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZSnAzbF27PND7

Maybe a stretch of "tools" for the average definition, but in my case it definitely is a useful tool.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
How does that work on the (advertised) iPhone 7? Didn't think those came with wireless charging.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oh I dunno about that stuff, I have a Samsung s6 active with built in Qi charging. I know they sell adapters, never used those though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What's the logic behind picking a sledgehammer? I'm standing in HF trying to decide between the $20 8lb and the $30 12lb.

I'm not a large man, so for general knocking stuff, would I be better off with the lighter one I can better control, or the heavier one for some mechanical advantage?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do they not have a 20 pounder? Maybe you're in the kids section.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
They do not. 8, 10, 12. So you're saying just man up and get the biggest.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I'd guess it's precision vs. power.

The guy who gave you advice is like a 6.5 foot tall giant IIRC for reference. Factor in personal fatigue here.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You pick a sledge weight almost entirely based on what you're hammering. IE: Knocking down drywall and framing will probably be easier with a 12lb, whereas if you have to get rid of 500 linear feet of 3ft tall masonry wall, you'd probably want to opt for a 30lb sledge.

Your personal size or strength shouldn't have too much to do with it, as long as you're a normal, healthy adult; You let the gently caress-off heavy tool do most of the work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

eddiewalker posted:

What's the logic behind picking a sledgehammer? I'm standing in HF trying to decide between the $20 8lb and the $30 12lb.

I'm not a large man, so for general knocking stuff, would I be better off with the lighter one I can better control, or the heavier one for some mechanical advantage?

With which weight can you do the most convincing impression of Thor?

Test them all in the shop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

spog posted:

With which weight can you do the most convincing impression of Thor?

Test them all in the shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHqPXcYTv3c&t=38s

Put an electromagnet in it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If it's car stuff you probably want two sledges, one 4-5 lb. one with a small handle you can use to whack on things when there isn't much clearance and another 10+ lb one with a long handle for when 'this god drat tie rod end is coming off one way or another'. Also consider a deadblow or plastic/rubber mallet for hammering on soft metals.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 15, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
A rubber mallet is surprisingly helpful, and rather cathartic

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

3lb sledge and a rubber whackin mallet generally do it for me for hammers on car work. I've only had to pull out the 15lb long handled monster once so far, and all it did was snap the breaker bar.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Pull a kastein and chop the handle on a heavier one to counter clearance issues.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

The way I see it, momentum is usually what’s doing the work.

There are two ways to double momentum: double the mass of the hammer or double its speed.

The difference is that swinging a hammer twice as fast takes four times as much energy, but swinging a hammer that’s twice as massive at the same speed takes only twice the energy.

So I grab the biggest sledge that’s reasonable for the job.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Mo hammers = mo better.

I've got a 3# steel that I love, 2# plastic dead-blow, multi-face (plastic and rubber) dead-blow, smaller brass hammer, regular claw hammer (rarely used in the garage), a tiny little ball-pien, and a short-handled 8#. The 8 doesn't come out that often, but it usually gets the job done when it does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

I use my upholstery hammer an awful lot, and never for upholstering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've broken or lost nearly every hammer I've ever bought. Lost my sledge and gympie(mini sledge), broke 3 (a wood handle claw - old one of my dads, a ball peen - supposed to be a decent minimax brand one, and a cheap panel beating hammer I was pounding on the falcon dent with.)
The only hammer I have left is a all metal ball peen hammer I made in highschool shop class in 1989
I miss my gympie

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jul 15, 2017