Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Day 3-4, UI work on buying and selling from settlements. Other than enemy AI, probably the most key function of a buying and selling game

http://i.imgur.com/lJatKyX.mp4

Next up, the running part of rum running. I've got a hotel night and some airport hours coming up, need to make as much of them as I can.

Can anyone chiptune a sea shanty or two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I had a couple beers last night and didn't feel great about getting -too- far with stuff while not really fully focusing on it. I spent a few minutes getting WASD inputs and then preventing the player model from moving off-screen or above the horizon:

Stuck in a workshop all day today, so my goal is to get some sprites for other boats done today, and to animate the sea so it's clear that the player ship is always sailing forward.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

urgh. due to the stress of a gone-missing pet and a surprise trip interstate, i haven't done much of anything at all! will i still be able to grind out even the meagre-est of games? i want to be in the hall of game, not the wall of shame

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

alf_pogs posted:

urgh. due to the stress of a gone-missing pet and a surprise trip interstate, i haven't done much of anything at all! will i still be able to grind out even the meagre-est of games? i want to be in the hall of game, not the wall of shame

You've only lost a couple days and still have nearly 3 full weeks, so go for it. I only really just started scripting and basic placeholder pixels yesterday. Up until then it was mostly just brainstorming and putting together my design doc.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Day 4: More netcoding, things coming along nicely

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/manuelaxibanya/status/884681346844688384

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Built our player (rover) Character!

physics and handling of him are still in limbo.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Need to make a map editor so started on a thing to load the tiles in the NES CHR format (http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/PPU_pattern_tables)

Also an enemy that does nothing so far

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It's... something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wln38jNY48c

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnaBSr3ulwo&feature=youtu.be

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

I don't know what I expected.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Progress:

https://twitter.com/Afal/status/884884869423267840

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

We have a logo

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What's a bootleg?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
day 5:
collision, movement, couple mechanics and unnecessary polish dust effect thing for some reason.

also decided all the music I'm doing for this game is going to be SOUNDFONTS so that could be fun.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Day 5, dumb AI

http://i.imgur.com/x1k4wTb.gifv

Need to make sailing into the wind more punishing

http://i.imgur.com/vWAgsG1.gifv

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Taking a pleasant drive through the country.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
day 4/5:

made a field to car soccer on with a few cars for reference

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

So this just made it into my code:
code:
# Throb base and junk. This makes the junk wonky, but I like it.
I feel kind of dirty. But I don't disagree.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Day 4/5 progress:

quote:

Yes, indeed... it is called legsric... where the transitory lands of the lords of footwear converge... in venturing north... the pilgrims discover the truth of the old words... the laces untie... and the lords go without sponsors...

when the link of lace is threatened, the bell tolls... unearthing the old lords of footwear from their graves... The glass slipper, saint of the ice... boothead's undead legion, soccerwatchers... and the reclusive lord of the leather capital, bob the cobbler... only in truth, the lords will abandon their sponsors... the shoehands will rise... nameless, accursed barefeet, unfit even to be store attendants, and so it is... that boot seeketh butt...

My tentative plan is to draw really badly in mspaint a bunch of stuff, and have the camera pan over it, while i very badly voice act those lines, for the opening cutscene of the game. It's going to be terrible / glorious.

Also, unhappy with default unity character controller, i reworked the collision code so that the player is a cube. It took me a while, and multiple attempts, but I -think- i have working collision movement, which makes me very happy. Of course the sacrifice for this is the player can't walk on anything but perfectly flat ground... But who needs anything but perfectly flat ground?

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

anothergod posted:

What's a bootleg?

I really like the look of this.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Let there be botes.

The NPC boats will need to be dodged (no, the player ship's sails don't count in the hitbox), while police boats will be aggressive and will fire at you. Hopefully I get those up and running today.

The player will have to weigh two options: either they can dodge through the civilian traffic, police boats, and fire from police boats until they reach the end of the level with a full load of booze in the ship's hold, OR they can use individual bottles of booze as ammunition to fire back at ships, thereby clearing their way and making the level easier. The tradeoff is that each bottle of booze fired out of the cannon will reduce the player's profit at the end of the "run".

There's also a barrel powerup floating along too, but I'm working on getting the spawner for it to work correctly (right now it only spawns the first one and then never repeats). Picking up floating barrels will very slightly replenish the ship's stock of booze, allowing for a player to take sortof a medium path between shooting everything and dodging everything.

I'm tinkering with the idea of also using cash as a resource for ammunition, which dips into the player's profits directly. Cash could be used against police boats (as a bribe), and booze could be used against civilian boats. Not sure if I like this yet or not.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 12, 2017

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Rob Filter posted:

Day 4/5 progress:
Also, unhappy with default unity character controller, i reworked the collision code so that the player is a cube. It took me a while, and multiple attempts, but I -think- i have working collision movement, which makes me very happy. Of course the sacrifice for this is the player can't walk on anything but perfectly flat ground... But who needs anything but perfectly flat ground?

Don't ever quote me on this because I know next to nothing about real deal Unity coding, but I'm positive that there's a way to make the player's collision code a sphere that "rolls" on uneven ground, but maintains a normal forward and backwards motion, similar to like, Donkey Kong Country movement. Something about circle colliders and the Fixed Angle setting?

Check this blog post out around the Figure 7 part for what I'm thinking about :

https://msdn.microsoft.com/magazine/dn781360

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

anothergod posted:

What's a bootleg?

This is gorgeous!

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
day 5 late night "i should really go to sleep" update: i got user control in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULXHFX7NGTo

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

seems alright.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I got some movement and stamina mechanics working!

You can boost!

You can jump!

You can boost AND jump, but they use the same meter so you don't go as far or as high!

My next step is to figure out why there's so much goddamn visual tearing going on at high speeds.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random floor.

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

Crudus posted:

I'm gonna scratch an itch I've had for years and finally try making a game. Spent this morning making a mock-up for my take on "boot-legging" - a rhythm based cowboy side-scroller/dueling game with the camera permanently focused at boot level. Probably going to try using game maker for this.

Good luck. I hear rhythm games can be deceptively tough to program.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Gonna make a bootleg Space Jam game except it's going to be called Base Jam and Lonnie Smith is going to be the cocaine-fueled hero of the story.

This idea came to me in a dream last night.

Holo
May 9, 2013
Tables! and people drinking nothing!

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/EntranceJew/status/885326203221102596

the ball is too stronk, but at least the basket boys have a way of dealing with their separation anxiety from the ball

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

blaise rascal posted:

Good luck. I hear rhythm games can be deceptively tough to program.

I've got things synced up now as long as I use tempos that play nice with being divided into 60 seconds. With the first loop sample I was using at 106bpm, things were slowly slipping out of sync due to dividing time elapsed in the music by a (not accurate enough) float representing the length of a single beat in seconds.

I feel good about having a functional prototype by the weekend though!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Day 6:
more like a game, added little crowds, shadowy hiding spots, a vignette, barely got started on AI and spent some time messing around with LMMS and soundfonts.

ALSO TOILETS. gif is zoomed in to make smaller gifs, it's not so claustrophobic really.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Day 6: In every great story, there must be a foe. My video game has one now too.

Tomorrow I shall make it spawn, shoot, kill and die. I will be as a god to these poor objects.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Day 6:

I'm exhausted, so I'm just gonna repost my status report from the discord

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I've been working really hard on this obscure videogame remake/remaster homage passion project.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I think the irony is I've actually been working hard on another Zelda like game but bootleg jams is helping my sprite making soul.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Options! Some of them even work temporarily!

And a lesson learned late: think about your target resolution before you start making your assets. I'm likely going to continue rolling with 1024 x 600 because I didn't spend five minutes of thought upfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
You might have missed it with the new Awful Jams front page but we've got a new award category this year!

Most Polish
Your game is so clean I could eat off it. Bonus points for: Dealing with multiple aspect ratios, defaulting to windowed mode, actually having video options, no crashes, well tuned controls, a handsome main menu, and a secret Jerry Seinfeld artfully hidden in your game.

So be sure to spit shine those games.

• Locked thread