Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't think I would call any of them 'freaking great'.

And no I think the first one is actually really bad, watching it again it's so loving wooden and Megan Fox is atrocious.

Zebulon posted:

Oh my god I just got around to reading Salvation. Trypticon at the end is the best. :3:
Yeah I really enjoyed the twist.

On the other hand the ending was a giant eyeroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zebulon posted:

Oh my god I just got around to reading Salvation. Trypticon at the end is the best. :3:

Yeah IDW Trypticon is awesome

kinda annoying that they killed off one of the Dinobots for no real reason, but pointless deaths are a problem embarrassingly common in the franchise

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There has never been a Transformers comics continuity - or a large comics continuity in general - without deaths that are hard to keep track of and sometimes randomly undone.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There has never been a Transformers comics continuity - or a large comics continuity in general - without deaths that are hard to keep track of and sometimes randomly undone.

Even Transformers vs GI Joe is guilty of this a little

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
bob

https://twitter.com/spriteling113/status/885045882974031872

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ok these guys are going a bit too fast now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean they had the tlk voyager megs KOOS before it was officially available right

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zebulon posted:

It really is a :3: ending.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah but that doesn't mean he doesn't give a poo poo, or he just does things "just cuz". None of the Transformers movies have felt in any way "phoned in" from a directorial standpoint, to me. You look at any of the behind the scenes materials or interviews about Bay on the set, and he's right there with the actors giving them instructions, framing shots, etc. it's not like he's just sitting in the director's chair all day and letting the second unit director do all the work while he just reviews the dailies and lets it all get fixed in post.

People like to poo poo on Michael Bay a lot, and I get a lot of why, but I've found that my enjoyment of the Transformers movies (and Bay's work in general) has risen immensely when I step back and look at the movies framed around Bay's strengths, and just don't let the weaknesses get to me.
Yeah the continuity from movie to movie (or even scene to scene) is shaky, but so was the G1 cartoon. And when taking the movies on a scene by scene basis, and taking the movies as more of an emotional and visual spectacle rather than a logical narrative, they're freaking great.

And in the grand scheme of cinema, there's really nothing like them - and a lot of that draws from the source material. The movies consistently treat the Transformers as aliens first, and robots second. The series is about humanity reacting to an alien invasion, and as the series goes on it's got an interesting and largely pragmatic reaction to what's happening, and I dig it.

Frankly you just have really low standards for what a movie can be if you believe all this. That's cool and all, you do you, but Bay is a terrible director outside of slam-bang in-camera action direction, which to be fair is unique to him at this point in an industry of greenscreen and "fix it in post" philosophies. Some would argue he ruins those action sequences in the edit bay, but I've never found his editing preferences to be all that jarring in terms of following the action. But when it comes to literally anything else - story, plotting, pacing, theme, character, dialogue, tone, humor, really anything - he's one of the worst working today in the AAA tentpole space, and he's gotten worse in the last ten years as he's realized these movies don't actually have to make sense or be any good as long as stuff blowed up real good (although TLK's box office indicates people have finally wised up, even internationally). At this point he's essentially Zack Snyder without a fear of going outside. I respect Bay's ability to shepherd a massive army of cast and crew to do large scale action in a way most directors simply do not bother to do anymore, but that doesn't make him a good director on its own, and his shortcomings far outweigh his strengths in that regard because an action sequence you don't care about isn't good for anything except getting the stunt coordinators their next gig.

People use that "emotional and visual spectacle" line, or the more common "turn your brain off and have fun" routine all the time with these movies, and I don't see where that comes from. I'll give you visual spectacle, but these movies have no emotion to them. They have huge stretches where nothing whatsoever happens. They're stone dead boring outside of the 15-20 minutes of actual action that happens, and about half of that tends to be brainless cannon fodder combat that's about as engaging as watching someone speedrun a Call of Duty level. I like a lot of movies that are silly and stupid but tons of fun. None of Bay's films, TF or not, are that. They're bloated, plodding, self-important nonsense that is occasionally impressive on a technical level. And is anyone really buying the "G1 was lovely, too" bit at this point? Shouldn't a $200 million motion picture be held to a slightly higher standard than a 30 year old toy commercial, regardless of how much we may have loved that toy commercial in our formative years? I would have thought Beast Wars would have taught us that lesson long before Michael Bay came along to ignore it for a decade.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My MPP10 showed up today and HOLY poo poo that's a good toy. Definitely a worthy centerpiece to a collection.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

My MPP10 showed up today and HOLY poo poo that's a good toy. Definitely a worthy centerpiece to a collection.

It's too big.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

It's too big.

NEVER HAHAHAHAHAHA

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DoctorWhat posted:

It's too big.

It's getting its own shelf area with the oversized Megatron that's coming out, it's perfect.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
They should make a KOOS Triggerhappy that's so big that you can fit actual Triggerhappy in the cockpit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

It's too big.

You're too small.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

You're too small.

Lol, i wasn't gonna go there...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm not interested in being juked into buying into a KO-only upscale in my fairly cramped NYC apartment, especially when sufficiently-large Decepticons are as rare as they are.

edit: oh fun, dick jokes!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In the end, it's always about dick jokes.

We're gonna buy a house in April or May and I'm going to have an entire ROOM for Toys.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

We're gonna buy a house in April or May and I'm going to have an entire ROOM for Toys.

We're moving into a 4 bedroom apt in October and I get my own room for comics and Transformers too!!!!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

i just put up shelves (which overflow into the entire living space). Devastator lives next to the living room TV and my MPs tend to end up on a little lip where the plaster wall ends and the nice brooklyn brick wall begins.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

We've been slowly working toward calling you a size queen and you just pull it out like that? Just ruined the dangling joke.

Also unless they confirm cross play pattern between KOOSHMs they don't belong on your shelf. I am interested in that voyager Megs though, but the thread on the subject was nigh unreadable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm not interested in being juked into buying into a KO-only upscale in my fairly cramped NYC apartment, especially when sufficiently-large Decepticons are as rare as they are.

edit: oh fun, dick jokes!

It actually wasn't a dick joke. Some of us are just bigger than the small folks in society, and need big toys for big boys. :smugdog:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently TLK is doing so bad it isn't even in half the theaters on tfcon day.

I hope you're looking forward to night driving, phy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

We're moving into a 4 bedroom apt in October and I get my own room for comics and Transformers too!!!!

Here's a sample of what we're looking at. If we didn't have the wedding to pay for first we'd probably toss an offer in on this one tomorrow.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6611-Winchester-Rd-Fort-Wayne-IN-46819/73191469_zpid/

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

It actually wasn't a dick joke. Some of us are just bigger than the small folks in society, and need big toys for big boys. :smugdog:

I'm fine with big toys when it matters - combiners and titans and the leaders - but the toys represent characters that talk and fight and hang out with each other and that is best served by restraint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
IT'S CALLED MASS SHIFTING

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mass-shifting makes so little dramatic sense. Why wouldn't Megatron be 300 feet tall ALL THE TIME?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Mass-shifting makes so little dramatic sense. Why wouldn't Megatron be 300 feet tall ALL THE TIME?

Because it guzzles energon, DUH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also for being a sneaky infiltrating duder. Like the Insecticons.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Because it guzzles energon, DUH.

Lawyered!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm fine with big toys when it matters - combiners and titans and the leaders - but the toys represent characters that talk and fight and hang out with each other and that is best served by restraint.
fuckin' nahhhhhhhhh

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well Cap, you've never exercised restraint in your entire posting career so that doesn't surprise me.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

Frankly you just have really low standards for what a movie can be if you believe all this. That's cool and all, you do you, but Bay is a terrible director outside of slam-bang in-camera action direction, which to be fair is unique to him at this point in an industry of greenscreen and "fix it in post" philosophies. Some would argue he ruins those action sequences in the edit bay, but I've never found his editing preferences to be all that jarring in terms of following the action. But when it comes to literally anything else - story, plotting, pacing, theme, character, dialogue, tone, humor, really anything - he's one of the worst working today in the AAA tentpole space, and he's gotten worse in the last ten years as he's realized these movies don't actually have to make sense or be any good as long as stuff blowed up real good (although TLK's box office indicates people have finally wised up, even internationally). At this point he's essentially Zack Snyder without a fear of going outside. I respect Bay's ability to shepherd a massive army of cast and crew to do large scale action in a way most directors simply do not bother to do anymore, but that doesn't make him a good director on its own, and his shortcomings far outweigh his strengths in that regard because an action sequence you don't care about isn't good for anything except getting the stunt coordinators their next gig.

People use that "emotional and visual spectacle" line, or the more common "turn your brain off and have fun" routine all the time with these movies, and I don't see where that comes from. I'll give you visual spectacle, but these movies have no emotion to them. They have huge stretches where nothing whatsoever happens. They're stone dead boring outside of the 15-20 minutes of actual action that happens, and about half of that tends to be brainless cannon fodder combat that's about as engaging as watching someone speedrun a Call of Duty level. I like a lot of movies that are silly and stupid but tons of fun. None of Bay's films, TF or not, are that. They're bloated, plodding, self-important nonsense that is occasionally impressive on a technical level. And is anyone really buying the "G1 was lovely, too" bit at this point? Shouldn't a $200 million motion picture be held to a slightly higher standard than a 30 year old toy commercial, regardless of how much we may have loved that toy commercial in our formative years? I would have thought Beast Wars would have taught us that lesson long before Michael Bay came along to ignore it for a decade.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I'm not saying Bay's TF movies are the pinnacle of cinema, or that they're the best possible TF movies we could hope for, but I see it as a pretty bizarre dissonance when people claim that Bay is just cashing a paycheck or that he doesn't know exactly what he's doing, or that he doesn't know about or care about "the source material".

I also definitely disagree that the Bay movies are lacking in "theme"; heck, there's a whole thread in CineD devoted to debunking that.

Yes the Transformers movies get a bad wrap for having serious issues compared to even other summer action blockbusters, but I maintain that the series as a whole has a lot of neat ideas contained in it. The evolution of the relationship between the Transformers and humanity is really neat and makes a lot of sense (and AOE in particular juggles three very different antagonists, each with their own motivations), the downward spiral of Optimus' relationship with the humans is pretty well realized, and the series really effectively sells the premise that anything could secretly be a robot (hostile or otherwise), and Bay's directing is really good at blending practical destruction like flipping cars, debris, etc with giant CGI robots, which goes a long way towards selling the illusion that they're "real".

poo poo, even TLK had a lot of neat ideas bouncing around in it - the movie reveals that humans are literally living on Transformer Hell - Unicron. Cade and the Autobots are the "good guys" only because we, the audience, are humans and are steered towards rooting for them because Earth might literally be Hell, but it's OUR Hell, drat it. Megatron isn't evil just to be evil, he (and Quintessa) are being pragmatic in the face of an enormous threat.

And Earth being Unicron is one hell of an existential threat (even if the Prime cartoon did it first), and totally upends the recurring claim made by humans throughout the first 4 movies that "this is OUR planet".

I also totally get the complaints that the movies focus on the humans too much and that the robots (especially the Decepticons) don't get enough characterization.
I largely agree, and would certainly love to see, say, a live action adaptation of MTMTE that had no humans in sight, but I'm also not really bothered with the direction the Bay movies have taken. The G1 cartoon and comics focused on the robots because the toys were the focus, and while MTMTE certainly demonstrates that viable storytelling can come from that route, I do think that showing humanity's reaction to an alien infiltration in plain sight is an interesting angle to take.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Well Cap, you've never exercised restraint in your entire posting career so that doesn't surprise me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Those are both kettles.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
my response to any Michael Bay argument: Bad Boys 2

Ride together, die together. 'nuff said.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Those are both kettles.
One is a coffee pot you boob

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Maybe if you'd posted seven petabytes of Pot-and-Kettle fanart I'd be better able to tell the difference.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDK posted:

my response to any Michael Bay argument: Bad Boys 2

Ride together, die together. 'nuff said.

the Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Maybe if you'd posted seven petabytes of Pot-and-Kettle fanart I'd be better able to tell the difference.
I don't see what that has to do with anything, you salty petty baby. Just accept the oversized superior figures as your lord and you can move on from this unfortunate, shameful stage of your existence.