Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GrandMaster posted:

He's also doing it on a brakeless track bike, which makes it even more badass.

I was wondering why he used his feet to slow the rear tire before he puts his feet back on the pedals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like Richard D James is losing his touch

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

GrandMaster posted:

He's also doing it on a brakeless track bike, which makes it even more badass.

Yeah that's a brakeless fixie, you can tell not only by the lack of brake levers but also because the crankset continues to rotate as he coasts. He only has one gear ratio through the whole race which should put him at a serious disadvantage making him even more badass. This does however mean that his rotating assembly has a lot less frictional resistance due to the lack of a derailer setup if you're crazy enough to take your feet off the pedals. I ride the same kind of setup around the hills of San Francisco and it takes a hell of a lot of strength and training to do that style of riding for leisure much less in a competitive setting. If I ever accidentally get my feet out of the straps on a downhill and am going too fast to do the shoe on the tire trick like he did I usually just aim for a bush or soft looking pedestrian.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's how you're supposed to rollerblade on hills too, huh?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Bicycling with an erection decreases wind resistance by ~.04-.08% depending on the exact length, yaw and girth of your boner

Lol if your cockmeat isn't so big it decreases wind resistance by at least a full percentage point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Think this has been in the "Bad rear end" picture thread, but since we're on the subject here:

Rollie Free breaking the 1948 Land Speed Record for motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

edit:
Oh, by the way, he's going ~150mph in that photo.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 02:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

James Woods posted:

Yeah that's a brakeless fixie, you can tell not only by the lack of brake levers but also because the crankset continues to rotate as he coasts. He only has one gear ratio through the whole race which should put him at a serious disadvantage making him even more badass. This does however mean that his rotating assembly has a lot less frictional resistance due to the lack of a derailer setup if you're crazy enough to take your feet off the pedals. I ride the same kind of setup around the hills of San Francisco and it takes a hell of a lot of strength and training to do that style of riding for leisure much less in a competitive setting. If I ever accidentally get my feet out of the straps on a downhill and am going too fast to do the shoe on the tire trick like he did I usually just aim for a bush or soft looking pedestrian.

Maybe you should buy brakes for your bike.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Randaconda posted:

Lol if your cockmeat isn't so big it decreases wind resistance by at least a full percentage point.

I was of course citing the meat of the bell curve. Some Olympic level cyclists can achieve a full 2% reduction. This requires a circumcised microcephaletic glans with a deeply flaring shaft to achieve the perfect "cock cone". The testes are stored in the abdomen ("landing gear up, " as they say) during the race.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It is strange and alien to me that bikes without gears even exist. No breaks is just silly.

I don't even think I've ever seen such a bike.

Except in Denmark but their country is entirely flat and Danes don't give a gently caress about anything so it works out for them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Solice Kirsk posted:

Think this has been in the "Bad rear end" picture thread, but since we're on the subject here:

Rollie Free breaking the 1948 Land Speed Record for motorcycles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

edit:
Oh, by the way, he's going ~150mph in that photo.

Total-body road rash on salt would be like a living death sentence.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

He was probably shitfaced and/or high like everyone back then so I doubt he'd notice.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Total-body road rash on salt would be like a living death sentence.
But at least he's wearing a helmet.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't go a single day without hearing about bondage chairs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Randaconda posted:

I can't go a single day without hearing about bondage chairs.

Which part of Germany are you from?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Tiny Legs You've Been Hearing About

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Chard posted:

Maybe you should buy brakes for your bike.

It's actually never really a problem since I can slow myself down any hill I can confidently ride down and lock my rear wheel or even power slide to a stop in an emergency. Some bikes of this type don't even have the ability to mount brake hardware to the frame and fork. It's just a different style of riding and part of the fun is the challenge. The only time I actually had to put myself into a bush was when I was riding in a Critical Mass going down the windy part of Lombard and had a strap break so I took a dive to avoid hitting anyone else.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't even think I've ever seen such a bike.

Here have a look at Hipster Bike 9000 in all it's glory.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

James Woods posted:

It's actually never really a problem since I can slow myself down any hill I can confidently ride down and lock my rear wheel or even power slide to a stop in an emergency. Some bikes of this type don't even have the ability to mount brake hardware to the frame and fork. It's just a different style of riding and part of the fun is the challenge. The only time I actually had to put myself into a bush was when I was riding in a Critical Mass going down the windy part of Lombard and had a strap break so I took a dive to avoid hitting anyone else.

Here have a look at Hipster Bike 9000 in all it's glory.

Yeah that's cool I bike commute and you're the kind of people that make drivers swerve at me. Get some loving brakes.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Hueh.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Back in grad school a bunch of bike hipsters would ride brakeless fixies for the hell of it. I remember one guys pants got caught in the gear and since he couldn't break or free wheel he broke his leg in several places. In a cast for months and out of thousands in medical bills. It's hard for me to see the point

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That's why. Doesn't matter how unsafe it is for them, or more importantly the other people they put in danger.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randaconda posted:

That's why. Doesn't matter how unsafe it is for them, or more importantly the other people they put in danger.

hiptsers live their lives on the edge, and they don't care how many people die in their quest for the ultimate high

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I disconnected the brakes from my car because I like a challenge

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-m7mBSw-5k
?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Goodpancakes posted:

It's hard for me to see the point

The "tragically hip" have been a thing forever and the name is well earned.

(and googling it now just brings up the Canadian band)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

cohsae posted:

I carry a broom handle to jam into the spokes of my alloys when I go too fast

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

cohsae posted:

There was a time when braking in a vehicle was a luxury only afforded by the aristocracy.

In celebration of those who preceded me (the blue collar, down to earth working folk who earned every inch of progress through blood and grit and determination) I choose to drive as they did - without the upper-class frills that modern society blithely takes for advantage - during my sojourns to purchase beard wax and indigestible organic goods.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Myth of the Scofflaw biker

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every time you pull up to a stop sign it's like that scene from Indiana Jones

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Where the guy his heart torn out and dunked in lava?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

No, it's "keep your eyes shut, don't look at it!"

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

The German fighter plane passing in the tunnel?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Shia LeBeouf swinging from vine to vine with bad cgi monkeys faster than a speeding car?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Wilford Cutlery posted:

No, it's "keep your eyes shut, don't look at it!"

don't sign your posts

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot
memememememes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Gorilla Salad posted:

Where the guy his heart torn out and dunked in lava?

This is pretty common.