Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

So it's agreed and 100% confirmed, Idris Elba will be cast as both the Doctor AND James Bond.

While also doing the Dark Tower series. He's gonna be busy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

So it's agreed and 100% confirmed, Idris Elba will be cast as both the Doctor AND James Bond.

In other words...

Idris Elba confirmed as the new Number Six! :neckbeard:

Really, though, I respect his approach to establishing new roles rather than picking up ongoing ones. I know, in this thread of all places...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've no doubt Elba would be very good as James Bond but I think he'd be too similar to Craig.

(Random observation that Craig has been Bond for as long as Roger Moore was and he's managed to get half as many movies out - hardly his fault obviously but an odd thing to think about.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 13, 2017

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

CobiWann posted:

Could you imagine running a malware/spyware check on the TARDIS? The Time Lords are the most advanced civilization in the universe but you know they have clickbaiters and spammers trying to take advantage.

I recall an audio where it turns out the TARDIS has a gigantic backlog of messages and the Doctor misses a lot of important ones because he's not willing to wade through all the spam.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cruel Rose posted:

I recall an audio where it turns out the TARDIS has a gigantic backlog of messages and the Doctor misses a lot of important ones because he's not willing to wade through all the spam.

Paper Cuts I think? I just finished listening to it and it opens with Charley reading the Doctor's e-mail backlog and him reminding her he can't ever be too late to reply to his messages since he's a time traveler :smug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

the tardis wiki is loving weird sometimes

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Plavski posted:

You just know that happened because somone had an argument on the internet and updated the wiki with their evidence. They have screenshots if you need them to prove it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

There's only one good fan wiki and it's the TFWiki, because they realise their hobby is a bit silly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've no doubt Elba would be very good as James Bond but I think he'd be too similar to Craig.

(Random observation that Craig has been Bond for as long as Roger Moore was and he's managed to get half as many movies out - hardly his fault obviously but an odd thing to think about.)

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far. Nor has he dressed as a clown to defeat the plans of Steven Berkoff, gone into space or had sex with Grace Jones, so it's a very mixed bag.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fil5000 posted:

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far. Nor has he dressed as a clown to defeat the plans of Steven Berkoff, gone into space or had sex with Grace Jones, so it's a very mixed bag.

agreed the Craig films are on the whole worse than Moore's

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboys_%26_Aliens

close enough

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

agreed the Craig films are on the whole worse than Moore's

I'm pretty sure I was clear on that.

(That loving sherrif is awful, mind)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

(That loving sherrif is awful, mind)

He's a mildly amusing side character in Live and Let Die but he's dire in The Man With the Golden Gun.

I think he was put in the latter because of the fuel crisis or something like that? I don't really know any of the details.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:siren: 8th Doctor Big Finish sale! :siren:

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Jerusalem posted:

Paper Cuts I think? I just finished listening to it and it opens with Charley reading the Doctor's e-mail backlog and him reminding her he can't ever be too late to reply to his messages since he's a time traveler :smug:

Man, Paper Cuts was great. I've always thought Marc Platt is extremely good at crafting a really good visual in his stories, despite the medium.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cruel Rose posted:

Man, Paper Cuts was great. I've always thought Marc Platt is extremely good at crafting a really good visual in his stories, despite the medium.

The Six/Charley run in general is pretty good. It's got one of my favourite Six moments in when at the end of Patient Zero he just HAS to go back and taunt the Dalek time controller and accidentally prompts it to let the station explode, scattering the viruses and creating the causal loop that started the events in the first place. Because Six CANNOT KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I can never decide if it is good news or bad news when I own everything on a sale

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CobiWann posted:

I kind of hope that they don't. I know the BBC will because of the publicity, but I want to see Capaldi explode in glowing light, fall behind the console...

...and up crawls Rupert Grint.

Rupert Grint would probably pull in the demographic the BBC is supposedly after, and would likely play the role well.

Vinylshadow posted:

As long as the actors work well together, their sex means nothing to me
'Course, the writing plays a factor in that and I hope it's on par with Series 10's scripts
A tall order, but I can dream, dammit

Forget all that, Catherine Tate to play the Doctor.

That's not even a joke, imagine Catherine Tate as the Doctor.

Then imagine telling yourself prior to The Runaway Bride that Catherine Tate would be ideal as the Doctor.

Then cry because it won't happen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Next Doctor: Robert Kilroy-Silk.

Next companion: Des from Diggit.

No reason other than I'm curious whatever happened to them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cleretic posted:

It's gonna be such a disappointment if after all the secrecy and buildup, it's just another youngish handsome-esque white dude they want to be the next Tennant.

You should probably prepare yourself for this.

Timby posted:

Chibnall isn't planning to begin shooting until early next year (last I read they were looking to do an autumn release so as to not run into something like the World Cup), so ... hot drat, that would be the mother of all surprises. And they wrapped the special yesterday, so...

Wait, they did? So they finished filming, and the director still doesn't know who the next Doctor is? Did they leave some room open to film one more scene? Is someone lying? Does it end on a regeneration cliffhanger?

Wheat Loaf posted:

He's also said he doesn't want the role, because he doesn't want to be the "first black Bond", and all the baggage that brings with it.

Fil5000 posted:

Hey, the clown thing was actually great. Also, what's wrong with having sex with Grace Jones? Uh, other than the age gap, but that's not even the worst sex age gap in that movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 14, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Next Doctor: Robert Kilroy-Silk.

Next companion: Des from Diggit.

No reason other than I'm curious whatever happened to them.

Didn't Kilroy go off the deep end with Brexit? <googles> Oh, right. He made a political party called... Veritas. :stare:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, they did? So they finished filming, and the director still doesn't know who the next Doctor is? Did they leave some room open to film one more scene? Is someone lying? Does it end on a regeneration cliffhanger?

Moffat said that Chibnall will write the regeneration scene (apparently he wrote the Matt Smith moment for The End of Time) and that he doesn't want to know about it because he's tired of the burden of keeping secrets, but I can't imagine that they get a new director just for those scenes, so it's definitely weird.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

Moffat said that Chibnall will write the regeneration scene (apparently he wrote the Matt Smith moment for The End of Time) and that he doesn't want to know about it because he's tired of the burden of keeping secrets, but I can't imagine that they get a new director just for those scenes, so it's definitely weird.

Sure, it makes sense to get Chibnall to write the scene. I just figured they'd get that worked out before they filmed the episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, it makes sense to get Chibnall to write the scene. I just figured they'd get that worked out before they filmed the episode.

Yeah, it's weird. Moffat's discussion of it makes it sound like they phone and email a lot but haven't even met in person to discuss the switchover, and if they've wrapped on filming, you'd really think the director would have known about it. They've definitely already cast the Doctor, but I don't even know who "they" includes besides Chibnall.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

From memory Moffat did say the plan was to handle the regeneration in exactly the same way RTD handled his handover. RTD and his crew filmed David Tennant's final scene, then they all filed out and Moffat and his crew came in with Matt Smith to film his part. I think there was a bit on Confidential about it which included Tennant seeing Matt Smith walking onto set wearing Tennant's wardrobe and commenting on how strange it felt to see another actor not only occupying the role but literally wearing his clothes too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Hey, the clown thing was actually great. Also, what's wrong with having sex with Grace Jones? Uh, other than the age gap, but that's not even the worst sex age gap in that movie.

That's (part of) why he quit - he was filming A View To A Kill discovered he wasn't just older than the Bond girl; he was older than the Bond girl's mother (the other reason he quit was that he though the movies were getting too violent - he's supposed to have really, really hated the scene where Christopher Walken machine guns a bunch of people while cackling insanely).

Have actually been watching The Saint lately and it's not hard at all to see why Roger Moore was apparently on their radar to succeed Connery throughout the 1960s.

I was actually a bit surprised to find myself deciding that Moore played a fairly decent Holmes in Sherlock Holmes In New York City (co-starring Patrick Macnee as Watson).

The_Doctor posted:

Didn't Kilroy go off the deep end with Brexit? <googles> Oh, right. He made a political party called... Veritas. :stare:

Oh, I'm fairly sure Kilroy-Silk went off the deep end long before Brexit was a glint in Sir James Goldsmith's eye.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

What fresh hell is this?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A scene from an episode from this season?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

Those things were all fun things about the Moore era, the only one that was negative was the sherrif.

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's (part of) why he quit - he was filming A View To A Kill discovered he wasn't just older than the Bond girl; he was older than the Bond girl's mother (the other reason he quit was that he though the movies were getting too violent - he's supposed to have really, really hated the scene where Christopher Walken machine guns a bunch of people while cackling insanely).

Have actually been watching The Saint lately and it's not hard at all to see why Roger Moore was apparently on their radar to succeed Connery throughout the 1960s.

I was actually a bit surprised to find myself deciding that Moore played a fairly decent Holmes in Sherlock Holmes In New York City (co-starring Patrick Macnee as Watson).

Wasn't it even more specific than that and he'd actually dated or played opposite Tanya Roberts' mother?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I'm fairly sure Kilroy-Silk went off the deep end long before Brexit was a glint in Sir James Goldsmith's eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GUE93Yd20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fil5000 posted:

Those things were all fun things about the Moore era, the only one that was negative was the sherrif.
I will never understand why they thought J.W. Pepper was a good idea. Let alone twice.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love how (relatively) cheap Who stuff is in London. Hotel didn't have my room ready on time, so I killed an hour in Forbidden Planet and came out with Power of The Daleks, Nightmare of Eden, Time & The Rani (forgive me), The Visitation, and The Daemons for £8 each (~$10.50). All cheaper than their US counterparts (and Eden is OOP), and the only caveat is having to play them in my region free player.

Also picked up a 5.5" 12th Doc fig in his best costume; check trousers, hoodie, pink tee :getin:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh what? I was just in there this lunchtime!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh what? I was just in there this lunchtime!

You probably walked right past me, I was there from 12-1ish.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Your daughter's at the altar… and you threw black ink all over her wedding dress?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
13th Doctor is getting announced Sunday

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

After the Wombledon men's final

So it's guaranteed to be a man, I mean why have a female doctor show up after the MEN'S final?

:thunk:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/885907569696440320

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I was going to say it felt like a last-minute announcement and I was wondering if the BBC got word that the name was going to leak, but that's a far too slickly produced video for that to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, just so we're clear, still Kris Marshall, right? :v:

• Locked thread