Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

How many players does the game support on a single Switch at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

what brings the dualies down compared to the default gun because it seems almost exactly the same just with a dodge roll. Does it have a shorter range or worse spread?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Crawfish posted:

Why the tooth brushes though?

Everything's gotta be fresh, including your teeth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Brothers, plural.

They're getting a Zelda switch bundle each. Splatoon 2 for their birthdays in August.

I fully expect fistfights to result from the Splatfests.

Hold out a bowl of ice cream in one hand, and a slice of cake in the other. Drive a wedge between brothers as they must choose a side :unsmigghh:.

irlZaphod posted:

How many players does the game support on a single Switch at once?

Four-player splitscreen in local play, but I can't remember if you can have multiple players on one console online.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Futaba Anzu posted:

what brings the dualies down compared to the default gun because it seems almost exactly the same just with a dodge roll. Does it have a shorter range or worse spread?

It has a wider spread. When using them, notice the crosshair is two circles, one for each dualie. When you roll, though, they come together for a short time, making them better than the default gun because you shoot faster.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Pearl confirmed for rap goddess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl57zJ9IFPU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Four-player splitscreen in local play, but I can't remember if you can have multiple players on one console online.
Cool, thanks. I'm hoping for at least 2 players online like MK8DX, but we'll see...

Nov 24, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping for at least 2 players online like MK8DX, but we'll see...

Sorry to rain on the parade but I just checked this. It's one player per switch.

I also suspect that playing Salmon Run anytime with friends refers to local multiplayer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

226 posted:

Sorry to rain on the parade but I just checked this. It's one player per switch.

I also suspect that playing Salmon Run anytime with friends refers to local multiplayer.

No, they've actually said you can make your own private lobbies online and do whatever you please together.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Yeah, the option to just have your own fun with your online friends was there from the first Splatoon, there's no reason why that wouldn't be possible this time around.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

226 posted:

Ahhh that's a shame. Not a big deal though, I was just curious. Thanks for that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Ahhh that's a shame. Not a big deal though, I was just curious. Thanks for that.

It's a fair question, considering ARMS and Mario Kart 8DX both had 2P Online.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a fair question, considering ARMS and Mario Kart 8DX both had 2P Online.

I think Splatoon requires taking in a lot of on-screen information, and having half of it cut off in favor of a second player would be detrimental to play. There's no way they didn't experiment with it at least once in development.

Nov 24, 2014

Announcing limited times for Salmon Run, and saying "Play anytime with friends!" made me instantly think it meant local multiplayer only (since Salmon Run is perfect for local multiplayer). Cool to hear that's not the case though.

irlZaphod posted:

I was disappointed too, since the Switch Pro Controller actually has Gyro, and the Map has been moved to a button, so you actually can have multiple players on the one console with the standard controls.

Edit: Formatting

226 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Takoluka posted:

I think Splatoon requires taking in a lot of on-screen information, and having half of it cut off in favor of a second player would be detrimental to play. There's no way they didn't experiment with it at least once in development.

Yeah this isn't a case of the system not being able to handle it or any technical issues like that, even the original Splatoon's local two-player mode (which was it's own weird thing) used the TV and the gamepad as separate screens rather than doing split-screen. That's got to be more taxing on the hardware than a split-screen mode would have been, I'm sure. It's absolutely a design thing, too much compromise to playability for it to be usable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah this isn't a case of the system not being able to handle it or any technical issues like that, even the original Splatoon's local two-player mode (which was it's own weird thing) used the TV and the gamepad as separate screens rather than doing split-screen. That's got to be more taxing on the hardware than a split-screen mode would have been, I'm sure. It's absolutely a design thing, too much compromise to playability for it to be usable.

The switch dock really should have 2 HDMI outs so me and a friend could play Splatoon 2 on two side by side 60" plasma TVs without having to spend a fraction of the price of those TVs buying a second system and game like a god drat chump.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I wonder if Splatoon 2 will finally be my time to Git Gud with the bucket or paintbrush. I wanted to like those shotgun-type weapons in the first game, but I kept going back to the regular submachine gun archetype because I didn't have the patience to be an ambush hunter lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think I will occasionally make a new profile and use it to utterly obliterate n00bs for a couple hours and then delete it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The blaster is closer to a shotgun than either the bucket or brush.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Internet Kraken posted:

The blaster is closer to a shotgun than either the bucket or brush.

I felt like it was more of a grenade launcher. I used it for a while, too. I liked that one that was bedazzled lol

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I liked blasters since they were one hit kills and god drat if I didn't need that with Japanese lag. Had to give up my inkbrush for S+ :smith:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I think I will occasionally make a new profile and use it to utterly obliterate n00bs for a couple hours and then delete it.

But that's a hella rude thing to do.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Is the umbrella gonna be the actual shotgun equivalent. I loved splatoon 1 but I love to run shotgun (and shotgun equivalents) in shooters

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Wrong thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends! Finally made my way over to this thread. I've added the couple of you who added me from their U friends lists too.

Played this back in Jan as well as during the stress tests and love it as much as ever, and happy the new controls didn't seem to take much getting used to. Could very well see myself sinking a similar amount of hours as the first one into this (hundreds) if I'm not careful.

Gone for Ice Cream in the Splatfest although the correct answer is obviously both together because the ice cream makes the cake less dry and it's a delicious combo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wendell posted:

But that's a hella rude thing to do.

No it's not. They need to learn to get gud. They will be forged in the fires of being splatted repeatedly. They will learn ways to be splatted they did not know existed, and they will internalize this knowledge rise above their peers. Their rank and skill level will improve faster because of my tough love.

Or they won't and they'll just get owned and not learn from it at all idk

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The real trick to being good at Splatoon is to game the time zones so that a not-insignificant portion of the Japanese players will be like, 8 year-olds.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

enojy posted:

That's like 15% bummer (that saves won't get you anything in the full game) and 85% adorable (wtf is a super sea snail?)

Zaphod42 posted:

Now in Splat 2 abilities are more like gems from diablo, so I wonder if sea snails will also be used to remove or implant abilities as well.

The tumblr post for the super sea snail says you need snails to add slots and scrub secondary abilities. A previous post regarding Murch, the new gear-modifying urchin, laid out how gear modification works.

Adding slots seems like it'll work exactly like Splatoon 1, just dropping snails to add slots to gear that doesn't come with three. Rerolling has been completely reworked, though. You scrub the secondary abilities from a piece of gear by paying Murch. Each ability you scrub generates ability shards. Collect enough shards of a certain type and you can fill in a slot with that ability. Combined with the drinks Sean sells which increase the chances of getting certain ability rolls I think the new system is by far a better one, there is a way to influence the RNG and if you invest enough effort you can slot the exact abilities you want.

tldr: you collect the cute snails and feed them to a sea urchin who eats them alive

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

The tumblr post for the super sea snail says you need snails to add slots and scrub secondary abilities. A previous post regarding Murch, the new gear-modifying urchin, laid out how gear modification works.

Adding slots seems like it'll work exactly like Splatoon 1, just dropping snails to add slots to gear that doesn't come with three. Rerolling has been completely reworked, though. You scrub the secondary abilities from a piece of gear by paying Murch. Each ability you scrub generates ability shards. Collect enough shards of a certain type and you can fill in a slot with that ability. Combined with the drinks Sean sells which increase the chances of getting certain ability rolls I think the new system is by far a better one, there is a way to influence the RNG and if you invest enough effort you can slot the exact abilities you want.

tldr: you collect the cute snails and feed them to a sea urchin who eats them alive

Yeah crafting the perfect set of gear seems like it will be much, much easier than in 1.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

Yeah crafting the perfect set of gear seems like it will be much, much easier than in 1.

murch, murch easier.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Bloop posted:

No it's not. They need to learn to get gud. They will be forged in the fires of being splatted repeatedly. They will learn ways to be splatted they did not know existed, and they will internalize this knowledge rise above their peers. Their rank and skill level will improve faster because of my tough love.

Or they won't and they'll just get owned and not learn from it at all idk

Yeah, you're rude. I don't like that.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://twitter.com/y_agc/status/885501165202321408

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

....but why

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
game theory: marina is the DAUGHTER of Octavio?!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

WarpedNaba posted:

A'ight, so my little brothers managed to get a Merit and an Excellence on their mid-terms. Guess what I'm buying them.

Pearl amiibo for merit.
Marina amiibo for excellence.

deadly_pudding posted:

I didn't have the patience to be an ambush hunter lol

The reason you were bad at it may have been because you misunderstood the weapon?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People gotta cool their jets about the cartoon teen pop stars.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

LethalGeek posted:

....but why not?

Fixed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

Pearl amiibo for merit.
Marina amiibo for excellence.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't have those announced along with the Pearl and Marina reveal in the last Direct.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wendell posted:

Yeah, you're rude. I don't like that.

I'm very not rude in life but on the splattlefield all is war.

I still don't seabag though because that's a low class move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Because it's weird