Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wish Nintendo was better at online like Sony and Microsoft! *The mummified paw of a monkey slowly curls one of its digits closed*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blazing Zero posted:

we're getting the opportunity to give nintendo money just like sony and microsoft. be thankful for it

I don't think you get just how expensive and complex proper network infrastructure is. And that's without whatever SLA's the ISP's are bleeding them over. Nintendo's been able to cheap out on it because they had all of two dedicated online games. Pushing through a proper setup with several million active users across different games is a big step up from the halfassed job they did for Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Gaunt, Sickly Kirby Takes Leave Of Absence From Video Games Following Stomach Cancer Diagnosis

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
3rd party woes, a play in two acts

Act one

Gamingbolt posted:

Lawbreakers isn’t coming to the Nintendo Switch.

We haven’t announced that yet! Who knows? (Laughs)

But if Nintendo Switch sells well do you think there’s a possibility?

There’s a possibility for everything and anything in this world. I think the hardest part with the Switch is the controls. Look at the game that we have right now, and we just literally by the skin of our teeth put the entire game and the control pad that the PlayStation has. That means that we could probably make it work for the Xbox One in someway, right? But if you’re looking at the Switch the base controller that’s on the unit, it doesn’t have as many buttons.

Well, you know the beam that shoots out? You can use motion.

You could motion it, but you’re not looking at your screen anymore while you’re playing. I wouldn’t be surprised. If we ever did something like that we probably would have to look at it from, “Okay, how do we support this as a unique platform controller experience, and what could we take advantage out of it?” Who knows? I’m never going to discount anything.

Act two

https://twitter.com/lawbreakers/status/885305442364256257

I suspect some devs are passing the Switch because they're ignorant as hell.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I mean even without the Pro controller it still has the same number of buttons if you're playing in TV, Handheld or Table Top mode. :confused:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They must not have realized that two joycon mode was a thing (a glorious, comfortable thing).

[Edit: "Well, all we know about the Switch came from Vice article and we didn't think that our control scheme would work with sphincter inputs"]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 13, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think my favorite thing about that article is if you use motion aiming you have to look away from the screen for some reason? :psyduck:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It's hard to care about a game being ported if its devs don't know anything about the platform. Guess they're not aware of shooter that has ~terrible~ motion controls, Splatoon.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They must be thinking about turning left or right entirely when aiming instead of just using it for accurate shots.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lawbreakers is just another Battleborn in the making.

Legit had to look up Gearbox Softwares wiki because I had forgotten the name for Battleborn until I wanted to make that snide remarks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Lawbreakers is just another Battleborn in the making.

Legit had to look up Gearbox Softwares wiki because I had forgotten the name for Battleborn until I wanted to make that snide remarks.

Lawbreakers could theoretically steal some Overwatch players as they've been getting testy recently over Ranked Mode changes, from what I understand, but generally speaking it's going to have to be obscenely loving good to last longer than a month against it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People are always going to be pissed at balance changes. Lawbreakers will get the same kind of changes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The issue with trying to compete with Overwatch is that you can only introduce so many features and complexities to a team-based Hero Shooter before it's actually just a MOBA. And then you're competing with League and DOTA, instead.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lawbreakers thing reminds me of the Abe's Odyssey guy from a few weeks ago

what is it with all these devs who think it's some kind of dunk to not bring their loving awful games to the Switch? last I checked Lawbreakers beta did horrifically bad, it's not going to be a thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadly_pudding posted:

The issue with trying to compete with Overwatch is that you can only introduce so many features and complexities to a team-based Hero Shooter before it's actually just a MOBA. And then you're competing with League and DOTA, instead.

They're chasing the same cash-fueled dream several-dozen failed MMO's in the late 00's did with WoW's success, without understanding that they're just not going to swing that playerbase because it's already invested in its time-consuming addiction of choice.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's Cliff Bleszinski's new hero/class-shooter right? I know Gears of War had a multiplayer following but good luck trying to tear a chunk out of the Overwatch fanbase.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Pierson posted:

That's Cliff Bleszinski's new hero/class-shooter right? I know Gears of War had a multiplayer following but good luck trying to tear a chunk out of the Overwatch fanbase.

Good thing he's actually trying to cut a chunk outta the Souls fanbase
https://twitter.com/shacknews/status/875053275187490816

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I for one cannot wait for Cliffty B's Crime Doers now that I now it's the bloodborne of Overwatches

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wake me up when we get the Overwatch of Bloodbornes.

Actually no wake me up in two days for that good Splatfest poo poo it's gonna rule.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

My farts from the Brazilian Steak House are the Dark Souls of farts.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The switch doesn't have the horsepower to run Lawbreakers or most modern shooters.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
That's fine all I need is Spla2n

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make the Ultra Street Fighter 2: The Final Challengers equivalent for Switch but make it Quake Arena

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Raged posted:

The switch doesn't have the horsepower to run Lawbreakers or most modern shooters.

To be fair neither have the other consoles.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DLC Inc posted:

Lawbreakers thing reminds me of the Abe's Odyssey guy from a few weeks ago

what is it with all these devs who think it's some kind of dunk to not bring their loving awful games to the Switch? last I checked Lawbreakers beta did horrifically bad, it's not going to be a thing.

Hey now, just because Lorne messed up his wording doesn't mean Abe himself is awful.

One day we'll have Abe as a fighter in a platform mascot fighting game. Whether that's in a far off Smash or PSASBR2, whatever way I wanna see the guy make it into one.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're chasing the same cash-fueled dream several-dozen failed MMO's in the late 00's did with WoW's success, without understanding that they're just not going to swing that playerbase because it's already invested in its time-consuming addiction of choice.
For an extra layer of irony, they're also going up against the same company.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Hey now, just because Lorne messed up his wording doesn't mean Abe himself is awful.

One day we'll have Abe as a fighter in a platform mascot fighting game. Whether that's in a far off Smash or PSASBR2, whatever way I wanna see the guy make it into one.

He'll be in one of those random Bandai ones with like, the green Zyuranger, Yusuke Yurameshi, the California raisins and mighty mouse

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Unlocking Smokey Bear was a bitch in that one.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Concerning Lawbreakers:

You'd think someone that both grew up playing and lived through as a developer various eras of paradigm changing games coming out and seeing how every similar game that came out shortly after was labeled a "Clone" even though they might not have been; be more careful releasing a game that seems so similar to one that's recently come out and been such a hit. It doesn't matter that the mechanics and gameplay are super different from Overwatch, the masses take one look at the game and go, "Oh, you're after a slice of that Overwatch pie huh?"

Lawbreakers doesn't remind me of Battleborn so much as it does Drawn to Death that came out a few months ago. A project lead by a guy who's already "Made It" in the industry, sank into relative obscurity for the past few years only to come out with a new independent project in the style of the big trend of the moment that also interests him as a player.

Like none of these guys saw survival horror get big and make a game in that genre cuz they ain't that interested in playing that I guess. It's all about the competitive multiplayer.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pierson posted:

Wake me up when we get the Overwatch of Bloodbornes.

That actually sounds fun as loving hell. More games need to look at Bloodborne as it is the Perfect Game.

Except for the last chalice. gently caress that last chalice.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Concerning Lawbreakers:

You'd think someone that both grew up playing and lived through as a developer various eras of paradigm changing games coming out and seeing how every similar game that came out shortly after was labeled a "Clone" even though they might not have been; be more careful releasing a game that seems so similar to one that's recently come out and been such a hit. It doesn't matter that the mechanics and gameplay are super different from Overwatch, the masses take one look at the game and go, "Oh, you're after a slice of that Overwatch pie huh?"

Lawbreakers doesn't remind me of Battleborn so much as it does Drawn to Death that came out a few months ago. A project lead by a guy who's already "Made It" in the industry, sank into relative obscurity for the past few years only to come out with a new independent project in the style of the big trend of the moment that also interests him as a player.

Like none of these guys saw survival horror get big and make a game in that genre cuz they ain't that interested in playing that I guess. It's all about the competitive multiplayer.

There's only so much room for this sort of game in pop-culture so I think it's a pretty safe bet that this thing is F2P within 18 months of release. Cliff really strikes me as the sort of guy who thinks he's got the industry pedigree to go out there and eat some of Overwatch's lunch and god knows it could even mechanically be a more interesting game and not come close to displacing the number of players necessary to overtake, let alone co-exist with the current reigning titan.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Someone should really make a team based shooter with a simpler, cartoony art style that makes it easy to port to whatever, even if your laptop is from 2007. Hmm...

:thunk:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
BRB designing the Bubsy of Minecrafts

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Loss?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always forget it until I'm actually playing one, but Kirby is the best Nintendo franchise.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Are the Splatoon joycons not coming to NA? I feel like a dork caring about the color of my controllers, but with the way the Switch recognizes the color of the things, it'd actually be kind of neat to have 4 different colors instead of 2 and 2 or 1-1-2.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Imagine only owning grey joycons...

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I feel like my Kirby avatar is one of the best Kirby avatars on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus Christ

ok so I guess it's Evo weekend which brings me to my next question, where the gently caress is Smash Bros

• Locked thread