Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

eames posted:

I'd say 4.0 Ghz on all 16 cores should be possible with good watercooling

Is there even a watercooling block on the market that could bolt onto that socket and actually cover the whole chip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If that's 4GHz boost, then I'm in. The IPC should be equivalent to my 4GHz Haswell-E, but I'd gain 10 cores and ECC.

eames
May 9, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

Is there even a watercooling block on the market that could bolt onto that socket and actually cover the whole chip?

Not that I know of. I'm sure they are being worked on. I wonder if it is going to be a challenge to keep all four Dies at the same temperature, probably not unless the coolant flowrate is too low.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If that's 4GHz boost, then I'm in. The IPC should be equivalent to my 4GHz Haswell-E, but I'd gain 10 cores and ECC.

Four core 4 GHz boost seems realistic to me, double that of a 1800X and one core per Die.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

Not currently on the market, but EK say they have a range ready to launch when TR does.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I'll leave the OC'ing to someone else, I just want those sweet, sweet cores. And ECC ofcourse.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just wish there was some decent higher frequency ECC RAM, PC-3200 would be perfect.

AMD published a video confirming the previously leaked prices and specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pJ_--nf5E

Early August.

videocardz commenter posted:

Cinebench scores comparison:
Ryzen Threadripper (16C/32T) ($999) - 3046
Ryzen Threadripper (12C/24T) ($799) - 2431

Skylake-X i9 7900x (10C/20T) ($999) - 2186

:rip:

the scaling in cinebench seems very close to 100%

eames fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 13, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

eames posted:

Four core 4 GHz boost seems realistic to me, double that of a 1800X and one core per Die.
Wait, I thought boost is all-core where as XFR gets you another 100MHz on a single (favored) core or something like that?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

eames posted:

But MAH FRAMES

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

I just wish there was some decent higher frequency ECC RAM, PC-3200 would be perfect.

AMD published a video confirming the previously leaked prices and specs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3pJ_--nf5E

Early August.

Yeah, I don't see how X299 survives this considering TR4 is just so much monstrous value and Intel's choices on Skylake-X end up making the extra absolute headroom more virtual headroom. I've never bought HEDT but I'm almost positive for the people buying into it, 60% more cores is more important than another 500mhz.

eames
May 9, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, I thought boost is all-core where as XFR gets you another 100MHz on a single (favored) core or something like that?

No, the 1800X for example only boosts over 4.0 with two cores. Look at the drop-off where it says "Number of Active Cores > 2". XFR uses various parameters like voltage and thermal headroom for even higher frequencies during boost. At least that's my understanding...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eames fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 13, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does 16core threadripper have two 8 core ryzen dies? So no disabled cores? Or is the threadripper four 8 core part with half of the cores disabled?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ihmemies posted:

Does 16core threadripper have two 8 core ryzen dies? So no disabled cores? Or is the threadripper four 8 core part with half of the cores disabled?

It looks like TR is 2 dies and Epyc is 4 from what I've been reading. Tracks with TR having 64 pcie lanes to Epyc's 128.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

eames posted:

It's a shame games don't scale well with threads (yet) or that'd be my go-to platform.

What the hell are game developers doing if their go-to platform are consoles with 8 core??????

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

incoherent posted:

What the hell are game developers doing if their go-to platform are consoles with 8 core??????

My understanding is games are perfectly capable of using a single thread for individual processes, like sound, networking, physics, AI. But each individual process doesn't need the same amount of CPU power, so you end up with certain processes that use way more CPU power than the others and you can only go as fast as the slowest process.

What games can't do is take the AI thread and make it run on 8 threads at once, since you can't just break your average game process into parallel chunks and have them complete ASAP, everything needs to be done in a certain order. It seems to be a fundamental problem with sequential programs that no one's really figured out how to get around yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Actually AI is a thing that can be easily parallelized. Each agent can be simulated on its own thread.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Actually AI is a thing that can be easily parallelized. Each agent can be simulated on its own thread.

Ah. I picked a poor example then. But the main problem for games seems to be that you can't easily parallelize all the functions of a game, so you end up with some sort of single threaded bottleneck someplace that slows everything else down.

Consoles work around this by liberal use of 30 FPS games.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

My understanding is games are perfectly capable of using a single thread for individual processes, like sound, networking, physics, AI. But each individual process doesn't need the same amount of CPU power, so you end up with certain processes that use way more CPU power than the others and you can only go as fast as the slowest process.

Early attempts at multi-threading game engines worked like that, with a dedicated thread per subsystem, but most modern engines have moved on to a task-queue or task-graph architecture instead. The idea is to launch a general-purpose worker thread for each CPU core then have idling workers pull tasks from a shared list of poo poo-that-needs-doing, the advantage being that the workload evenly balances across the CPU cores provided the tasks are granular enough and there aren't too many inter-task dependencies. But there's an overhead to managing a task, so they can't be too granular.

In theory these engines can use any number of threads, but in practice the task granularity will be tuned for the 7 threads available on consoles.

eames
May 9, 2009

I think Amdahl's Law describes this problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

and a quick look at steam's hardware survey shows dual/quadcore processors at 94%, granted that includes a lot of laptops but still.
I think ideally you'd want a game engine that's well threaded to begin with and then uses extra cores to scale up/down features that can be parallelised depending on the available core count.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

and a quick look at steam's hardware survey shows dual/quadcore processors at 94%, granted that includes a lot of laptops but still.
I think ideally you'd want a game engine that's well threaded to begin with and then uses extra cores to scale up/down features that can be parallelised depending on the available core count.

aka Gustafson's Law - in practice, the scope of a task will expand to fit the available capacity. You can't run the serial portions any faster but you can drastically increase the amount of parallel tasks with little impact on performance.

The problem with this for games is that whatever you're scaling basically can't have any impact on the game (eg AI or game mechanics) or else you are creating an unpredictable single-player experience and ruling out multiplayer between dissimilar clients.

PhysX had much the same problem - it was essentially only used in cosmetic poo poo (throwing particle debris from explosions, making Batman's cape flutter or paper blow in the wind, etc) because you couldn't rely on it being present. They open-sourced it a couple years ago, but it still hasn't got much uptake for core game mechanics apart from maybe PUBG (not sure what it does in that game).

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

eames posted:

I think Amdahl's Law describes this problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amdahl%27s_law

Neat, I just read a blog post about that Law where a user's mouse stopped working with 24 core system.

https://randomascii.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/24-core-cpu-and-i-cant-move-my-mouse/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Better not be some bullshit changes introduced to make that Linux subsystem stuff work. Process creation and tear down is already heavy-handed as is in Windows.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Someone on /r/amd noticed a clever trick AMD are using on Epyc (and probably Threadripper)

There are actually two versions of the Zeppelin die, mirrored vertically to allow for much tighter routing between the Infinity Fabric interfaces. I assume they can even use one set of masks for both versions by just flipping them upside down as needed.

Jim Keller :worship:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

They open-sourced it a couple years ago, but it still hasn't got much uptake for core game mechanics apart from maybe PUBG (not sure what it does in that game).

PhysX isn't just fancy particles, it's general physics engine just like Bullet or Havok. Unreal 4 uses it for its physics calculations and quite few other games do so as well.

Nvidia-only GPU accelerated parts of it are very very rarely used nowadays. Last commercial game I recall using that was Batman Arkham Knight.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 14, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, the last game I played with Nvidia-only goodies was Borderlands 2, quite a while ago.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So with X variant threadripper starting at $800 and $1000 repectively. Could we potentially see the low end 16c at $900 and maybe lower end 12c at $650-750? Now sure how two 14c variants are going to fit between a low end 16c and high-end 12c.

SinineSiil posted:

Nvidia-only GPU accelerated parts of it are very very rarely used nowadays. Last commercial game I recall using that was Batman Arkham Knight.
Killing Floor 2 uses some Nvidia physx processing. On my Titan XP at 3440x1440 max detail setting on everything my frames drop into the single digits.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 14, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

with how the CCX works I'm not sure we're going to see anything but multiples of 4 in practice

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

with how the CCX works I'm not sure we're going to see anything but multiples of 4 in practice

We already have 6c units made from two CCXs. They just have one core disabled on each CCX. There's no reason why you couldn't use partially functional CCXs in a 14 core or 10 core thread Ripper. That's how their making the 12 core units anyways.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 14, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The really neat part of the CCX system is that what used to be "single core turbo" is now "single core per CCX turbo". So on a 16C/32T TR4 box, "single core turbo" is actually four cores active (one per CCX).

At least that's my understanding of it. They really need to release the Zen BKDG already...

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SlayVus posted:

We already have 6c units made from two CCXs. They just have one core disabled on each CCX. There's no reason why you couldn't use partially functional CCXs in a 14 core or 10 core thread Ripper. That's how their making the 12 core units anyways.

It has to be across all CCXs though, so you can't have a 3+3 paired with a 4+4 or 2+2. Keep in mind all EPYC CPU's work in multiples of 4 as well. There is a rumor for an 8 core TR4 part as well.

Also apparently the 7401P 24C/48T will come in @ 1075$, only somewhat more expensive than the 1950X. If Epyc and TR4 share a compatible socket then I can only wonder how Intel will get sales on X299 at all.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

Someone on /r/amd noticed a clever trick AMD are using on Epyc (and probably Threadripper)

There are actually two versions of the Zeppelin die, mirrored vertically to allow for much tighter routing between the Infinity Fabric interfaces. I assume they can even use one set of masks for both versions by just flipping them upside down as needed.

Jim Keller :worship:

Wait a minute, I was promised "every die is only one hop away from another die", how do those traces work going from top-right to bottom-left?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I can see them avoiding unbalanced configurations because that might give unpredictable performance. With 12 and 16 they've got two dies with two CCXs with 3/4 cores each, which keeps everything equal. They could go down to 8 or 4 but there's little point, the only advantage over Ryzen would be support for more memory, and those customers would probably go for lower end Epycs instead for even more memory.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Also apparently the 7401P 24C/48T will come in @ 1075$, only somewhat more expensive than the 1950X. If Epyc and TR4 share a compatible socket then I can only wonder how Intel will get sales on X299 at all.
if they do make them pin compatible and there's actually no difference in pin assignments, I'd wager that threadripper might work on epyc boards (with only 4 DRAM channels/64 PCIE lanes instead of 8/128) but not vice versa

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
What's gonna happen to the mouldy stock of FX parts? They were hard to move in the first place, now I can't imagine any of them being sold at all, with Ryzen being out and priced competitively.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
so, i updated my bios and finally got my ram to 3200 from 3000. now my 1600x fluctuates between 30 and 40 degrees several times a minute. How do I fix that?

E: Actually, it will drop to 28 C according to ryzen master if I don't do anything. If I swap focus to chrome and do nothing else, it will go to 38 and cool back to 28 by 2 degrees every update tick.

E2: even dropping it back to 2933, my computer sounds like a leaf blower at idle :l. Considering rolling back my bios to pre AGESA 1.0.0.6 because even though it wouldn't do 3200mhz on my ram, it wasn't a jetplane at idle

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 14, 2017

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

What's gonna happen to the mouldy stock of FX parts? They were hard to move in the first place, now I can't imagine any of them being sold at all, with Ryzen being out and priced competitively.

I'm gonna go with "top off that hole in the desert full of ET cartridges"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Well they're being sold at like $80 so yeah once that doesn't work out ET hole it is.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R3 hits July 27th, but still no APU information. I had thought for sure R3 was going to have integrated graphics, but it looks like they're just 4C/4T SKUs.

LISAAAAAAAAAAA you're tearing me apart!

Fake edit: how have we not been doing The Room quotes for AMD? "Oh hai Mark(Papermaster)"

Now that press event season is largely over, I'm sad I've missed this opportunity.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Vega, you're tearing my PSU apaaarrrt!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SinineSiil posted:

PhysX isn't just fancy particles, it's general physics engine just like Bullet or Havok. Unreal 4 uses it for its physics calculations and quite few other games do so as well.

Killing Floor 2 and Fallout 4 have some Nvidia only particle/debris effects. There was also a lack luster Warhammer 40k game that had it, and that Free to Play Ghost in the Shell game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

R3 hits July 27th, but still no APU information. I had thought for sure R3 was going to have integrated graphics, but it looks like they're just 4C/4T SKUs.

LISAAAAAAAAAAA you're tearing me apart!

Fake edit: how have we not been doing The Room quotes for AMD? "Oh hai Mark(Papermaster)"

Now that press event season is largely over, I'm sad I've missed this opportunity.

Given what we now know about things in general, I don't understand why R3 parts *aren't* the APU line.