Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
no no he didn't used the Designated Racist Terms That Identify Real Racism so obviously it's cool, it's kosher

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ElGroucho posted:

Hubris is a motherfucker

Mayweather may be a terrible person, but all of his poo poo talking in boxing are backed up by Ws

Yeah he's 51-0

49 in the ring and then his wife, twice

He belongs in jail and the schadenfreude is on us because he makes Nevada so much money they would probably overlook him killing someone in a drunk driving incident if he didn't gloat about it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm from the US and I have no idea what that phrase insinuates.

I'm not from the US, but let me try:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy#Race

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Velocity Raptor posted:

I'm from the US and I have no idea what that phrase insinuates.

Calling an adult black man 'boy' is an extremely loaded term that asserts they are inferior and undeserving of respect, and directly references its use as an explicitly racist term.

It's real bad and I hope he loses teeth.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Velocity Raptor posted:

I guess it sucks they don't teach racist phrases? :shrug:

It's called history, most people agree that learning the bad stuff is as important, if not more important than the good stuff.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dillbag posted:

Lol if you don't think the boxing match has been 100% a work from the start. My guess is Mayweather will go down once in the early rounds, then KO McGreggor, setting up a rematch to take another nine figures each out of all the idiot marks pockets.

look out guys, this dude knows all the wrestling words

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Beeswax posted:

look out guys, this dude knows all the wrestling words

I dunno what's worse; Him using them or you recognising them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm sorry, is the fact that you think MMA/boxing is fixed somehow related to your absurd ignorance of racist terms here in the US?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want to know what soft milk suburb you guys are from that you don't know "boy" can be a pejorative for black men

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Inflammatory comments sell fights and generate buzz. It goes way back. Mayweather himself started making the big money when he started a campaign against mexico.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Elohssa Gib posted:

How expensive was that?

I was really curious too and managed to find an article: http://mashable.com/2017/07/13/14th-factory-selfie-art-fail/#2uSrMfAa2iqK

quote:

A visitor to the 14th Factory in Los Angeles, California, caused $200,000 worth of damage when she knocked over a display while attempting to take a selfie a few weeks ago.

According to the museum, three sculptures were "permanently damaged" in the incident.

The whole thing was captured on security cameras, and later shared to LiveLeak. In the clip, a woman can be seen crouching in front of a row of sculptures placed on pedestals, presumably trying to take a selfie. She loses her balance, and knocks the pedestal directly behind her over, which then in turn creates a domino effect, knocking over at least 10 pedestals topped with art.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Novum posted:

Inflammatory comments sell fights and generate buzz. It goes way back. Mayweather himself started making the big money when he started a campaign against mexico.

Fun fact, his uncle, Roger Mayweather, made his bones fighting the best Mexican boxers. They called him the "Mexican Assassin". So the Mexican angle was good poo poo talk, and sold plenty of tickets.

McGregor could be the god-king of MMA, but that doesn't mean poo poo in boxing, because they are completely different sports. I don't recommend any of you dignify this farce with your money.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Novum posted:

So...that makes it okay?

I know Mayweather is a ridiculous rear end in a top hat and deserves to get kicked in the face a whole bunch of times. But that does not excuse what McGregor has been saying about him. Regardless of how much of an absolute piece of poo poo a black person manages to be, it still doesn't mean that they deserve to be referred to in blatantly racist terms. I cannot believe I need to say this.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Some people never forgave Ali for the racist stuff he said about Joe Frazier, he basically turned the black community against Frazier.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Conor McGregor of the clan mcgregor

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Joe Frazier was a great man, and didn't deserve what Ali did to him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Huh, I never really thought about boy as a racist term. Always figured it was just a condescending way to talk to adults. Looking back though I've only ever seen it used as an insult towards black men. Never looked st the race thing

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So...that makes it okay?

I know Mayweather is a ridiculous rear end in a top hat and deserves to get kicked in the face a whole bunch of times. But that does not excuse what McGregor has been saying about him. Regardless of how much of an absolute piece of poo poo a black person manages to be, it still doesn't mean that they deserve to be referred to in blatantly racist terms. I cannot believe I need to say this.

I'm saying Mayweather doesn't give a poo poo because it means money. No more, no less.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

ilmucche posted:

Huh, I never really thought about boy as a racist term. Always figured it was just a condescending way to talk to adults. Looking back though I've only ever seen it used as an insult towards black men. Never looked st the race thing

Coming from the South I've heard the term "boy" used by older white men to younger white men, in the same way you might say "son", i.e. "You best be on your way, son". But it definitely takes on a whole new level when it's directed at black men. Especially if it's a younger guy calling an older guy "boy".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep hearing that Mayweather somehow needs the fight to pay the IRS for like one year of unpaid taxes but I just don't understand how that's possible with all the money he's made in the past decade.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Voyager I posted:

Calling an adult black man 'boy' is an extremely loaded term that asserts they are inferior and undeserving of respect, and directly references its use as an explicitly racist term.

In 1979, Muhammad Ali was in Australia for an awards show and Bert Newton (Australian entertainer) said something along the lines of "I like the boy!" in an endearing manner. Ali was understandably upset and Bert thought he was going to get flattened, with no idea why. Being Australian in 1979 was an excuse to not know that calling an adult black man "boy" was offensive as gently caress. Being alive in 2017, people should know better.

Anyway.

Maybe if there are signs saying don't stand near the backblast of a plane taking off, don't stand near the backblast of the plane taking off

The signs look like this.

The woman was blasted back and smacked her head on concrete, and never woke up.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/eOWASfX.mp4

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
These are the delicious tears of a man that shouted "TAKE OFF THE loving BURKA" and harassed a Muslim couple in Oregon

video in story: http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/tak...f1egnjE.twitter

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
He's probably a decent guy, I bet he'd be crying about it even if he hadn't gotten caught

Re: jets; they are scary, avoid

E: Better image. Intuition tells me to be skeptical of the idle intake danger zone, but having seen what happens when people go into jet engines tells me experimentation isn't worth it

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jul 14, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
"Don't stand behind jets when they take off", got it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is the rear end in a top hat fight gonna be boxing vs mma styles, i.e. kicking and grappling and poo poo, or is it just gonna be punching?

Seems kinda dumb either way, but especially so if it's just punching.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
just punching

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Then I'm guessing the schadenfreude is going to be on anyone paying to see the fight, cause drat that's kinda hosed up. Competing styles I could kinda understand, but having a guy who's not trained as a boxer come in and try to fight a guy who's a champ at that particular sport isn't gonna end well.

It's like getting an olympic fencing master to have a sword fight with that dude who played Darth Maul, and having it only use olympic rules.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Novum posted:

just punching

thread title IMO

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
this fight is going to be as dumb, bad and disappointing as the pacquiao fight and yet people are still going to pay ridiculous amounts to see it and then whine about it after

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

"Don't stand behind jets when they take off", got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBm9iNLMriY&t=180s

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Isn't McGregor Irish, and don't they use boy quite differently?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Granted, I haven't been, :goonsay: but I don't see the fun in watching boxing live unless you get one of the good seats right up next to the ring. All the good matches end up on youtube. Why pay? I bet it's just to say you went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPan-yeptRw

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude

Wasabi the J posted:

He should be aware of racist terms from every country especially America! He should also only trask talk using the most respectful terms.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Toys For Twats posted:

He should be aware of racist terms from every country especially America! He should also only trask talk using the most respectful terms.

I don't want to end up being the racist apologist, so if it turns out that I'm mistaken, I'll say that I can't wait for either of them to get punched out.

Sadly, Connor isn't a real boxer, and Mayweather isn't a knockout hitter, so Someone can enjoy my eventual disappointment.

Toys For Twats
Sep 30, 2007
One awesome dude
Yeah, it will definitely be a terrible fight.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Toys For Twats posted:

Yes, if you live in and work in a particular country, you should be aware of things you should not say there.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
Five Nights at Freddy's Drive Through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WZcAa52bFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, they use boys to plant bombs in the subway.