Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

No Mods No Masters posted:

If you can't beat 'em

see I understand that in Ranked, but I'm experiencing it in Casual and its soul-crushing

I'm honestly a bit worried about this game's future if a new player's initial experience is something like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Monsters have so much raw power it's absurd. I've had consume decks beat me even when I shut down everything and shackle/burn their leader. And gently caress grave hag. It's trigger timing is impossible to stop unless you have card advantage

Sadly all the variety I was seeing in decks is slowly dissipating. Shame, it was cool to see a lot of weird decks.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for reply on Isengrim dudes, just a question on the ambush cards. I know Toruviel is pretty decent and I've had a lot of success using her in various decks, but what makes Morenn so good? 5 power feels a bit low, or is it more to do with the fact she procs before the enemy deploy ability does? What sort of interactions am I looking for here?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Thanks for reply on Isengrim dudes, just a question on the ambush cards. I know Toruviel is pretty decent and I've had a lot of success using her in various decks, but what makes Morenn so good? 5 power feels a bit low, or is it more to do with the fact she procs before the enemy deploy ability does? What sort of interactions am I looking for here?

Ideally you try to trick your enemy into playing around Toruviel when it's Morenn and vice versa since they're often run together. For example a monsters player might want to lock Toruviel with fiend, but if it's actually Morenn she'll shoot and kill the fiend before it can even do damage.

On the other hand if the monsters player knows it's Morenn they can play e.g. Woodland Spirit and the shot will go off on one of the wolves achieving pretty lovely value.

Honestly considering monsters dominance right now and the amount of weenies they can spam it's probably not a great card in this meta. But it could be pretty sick if, say, dwarves were dominant and you could kill a mahakam defender off of it.

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 14, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah, you'll catch newbie monster players off guard and eat a harpy once in a while, but it's pretty easy to play around once you've run into it a couple times.

Most ambush players are really bad at fake outs too, like 99% of the time they play a card face down between two others it's Toruviel, though to be fair it's also pretty easy to get an early point lead and just pass to make their Toruviel whiff if they don't set it up like that, which usually gives them the win but forces them to go at least 1 card down.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

morenn is hard to use at an expert level, but at the same time she is an easy 11 point swing. I prefer to use morenn when I'm up, especially early in a round. it depends on what deck you are playing against, but like other people mentioned, you can get pretty important pick offs from sloppy players.

one of my preferred combos is getting lucky on my first hand to get 2+ elven wardancers and then either playing isengrim + morenn or just putting morenn down. your opponent will almmost always have to play something that morenn can kill or weaken, and even a simple 11-1 lead lets you dictate the round for a while.

edit : blue mountain commandos also do this real well as a way to give yourself a lead right away

(if you are up in an important round and you have a decoy you can be a real scumbag and decoy her as long as you aren't playing against radovid!)

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 14, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think I've bitched about this before, but Rethaz came out and directly said that the current and future balance patches have been to address the rock-paper-scissors of some decks in current past metas. It aligns with how they've been nerfing cards but it makes me happy regardless to see them say it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6mxlsr/to_all_the_people_overenthusiastic_about_current/dk55mzz/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I feel so dirty now, but I've been playing Monsters pretty much exclusively from the start and it's the only faction I have basically every card for. Dagon is so obnoxiously good right now, though, so I'm not looking forward to the next round of nerfs because they haven't really demonstrated an ability to do anything besides smash a good deck completely into the dirt or accidentally make it even better, so.

For some reason I am not seeing many mirror matches in the sub-3k range, though. Mostly I see a lot of reveal Nilf, which this deck just takes a steamy dump on.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Minrad posted:

I think I've bitched about this before, but Rethaz came out and directly said that the current and future balance patches have been to address the rock-paper-scissors of some decks in current past metas. It aligns with how they've been nerfing cards but it makes me happy regardless to see them say it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6mxlsr/to_all_the_people_overenthusiastic_about_current/dk55mzz/

Like most good PR that was an awful lot of words to say very little beyond that tokens are being considered for spawned units.

It seems kind of silly for Rethaz to criticize the 3rd party play/win data as flawed but then not show or even allude to what the actual numbers are. I'm sure the 3rd party data isn't perfect, but since he's a PR person it's always in his best interest to not acknowledge if one faction is over-represented in usage and winrate.

It's too bad about monsters dominating at the moment because you get the impression that the other 4 factions have pretty good balance against one another. Matches go interesting ways, you think of something new to try or watch out for the next time you play NR/NG/SK/ST. Monsters are just on a different level when it comes to deck synergy though, and every match against them feels ever more tedious. And yeah it is a little worrying they didn't anticipate the problem of having only one faction being able to poo poo out cheap units en masse.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I think the biggest issue is that like 75% of the meta besides monsters is some super greedy "make a couple gigantic-rear end units" with reavers / axemen / spotters / etc., so all of the removal people are bringing is meant to combat that (which is probably the right call if you aren't seeing monsters like literally every other match or something), while all of that stuff is dead in hand against monsters most of the time. Scorch is more likely to hit your own poo poo, and even Gigni won't have a good target in a lot of games if you are careful about your positioning.

Like the mechanisms of getting there are all different, but this meta feels very same-y when it comes to actual win conditions, which I think ends up making it a lot less diverse than it looks on the surface.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

A lot of this game just needs to be redesigned. So many mechanics are just weird or half baked at the moment (ambush and trio come to mind, but there are lots of others), but there are also just issues core to the game itself, like the coinflip being too important, the mulligan system being weird, and imo the deck size being too small (especially in a game with so much deck thinning available).

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

EvilMike posted:

and imo the deck size being too small (especially in a game with so much deck thinning available).

I agree with most of your points and CDPR acknowledges these problems but I don't agree with this. Consistency in draws is a good thing and reduces 'draw RNG' when decks get most of their tools every game. Few decks draw everything they have, anyway.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Leader is henselt, the gameplan is play sergeant t1 and henselt him to summon all the blue stripes and ves, then play siege engines between two sergeants for double boost or ballistas for triple shots, then play the siege platforms on them and do it again. I had considered regular ballistas instead of the siege towers, but since the gold I own are all damage dealers, I sometimes got into the situation of the enemy having nothing left to shoot.

Wondering if anyone has ideas for improvement / next crafts? Aard geralt is only there because my other 2 golds are triss and regular geralt, and he can sometimes help set up ballistas getting multi hits. I've got witchers, johnny, cyprian wiley, sile, cow, decoy, and dimeritium bomb for alternate silvers.

The obvious guess for a gold or silver to craft next would be something general like geralt: igni, but I don't think john natalis or stennis would be hugely useful since I only have 5 or 6 machines. I'm not too high rank right now, so I'm not seeing a lot of weather monsters, surprisingly. Mostly discard skelligers, dwarfs, and mulligan elves.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/24356-update-3-reaver-rush-with-sergeants

get rid of that overdose

it's bad

alternatively you could try running a version with all 3 witchers + operator

keira metz is also a decent gold

machines are really only used in the radovid control deck right now

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/24863-new-radnarok-top-20-world

General Morden fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 14, 2017

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
I'm not very familiar with your deck but you could cut Overdose and perhaps even the towers and platforms. You usually want only 15 bronzes in your deck for consistency.

Margarita Laux-Antille is a better Cleaver. Thaler is a good pick to gain more CA. As for golds, get something to replace O'Dimm and Aard - Keira Metz and maybe Ciri or Igni?

If you plan on keeping more than 25 cards in your deck (I still would avoid this), slot a Royal Decree so you have a better chance of getting to your golds.

Trogdos! fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jul 14, 2017

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

37 card NR deck is dead no reason to go above 25 anymore

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captainicus posted:

Leader is henselt, the gameplan is play sergeant t1 and henselt him to summon all the blue stripes and ves, then play siege engines between two sergeants for double boost or ballistas for triple shots, then play the siege platforms on them and do it again. I had considered regular ballistas instead of the siege towers, but since the gold I own are all damage dealers, I sometimes got into the situation of the enemy having nothing left to shoot.

Wondering if anyone has ideas for improvement / next crafts? Aard geralt is only there because my other 2 golds are triss and regular geralt, and he can sometimes help set up ballistas getting multi hits. I've got witchers, johnny, cyprian wiley, sile, cow, decoy, and dimeritium bomb for alternate silvers.

The obvious guess for a gold or silver to craft next would be something general like geralt: igni, but I don't think john natalis or stennis would be hugely useful since I only have 5 or 6 machines. I'm not too high rank right now, so I'm not seeing a lot of weather monsters, surprisingly. Mostly discard skelligers, dwarfs, and mulligan elves.

Using henselt to draw all your Sarges is a strong opening move but don't put them all on one row for the sake of drawing Ves, you'll just get Ingi'd and lose the lot of em. Plus the blue stripe trio ability sucks anyway. My suggestion: you're most of the way to a decent reaver deck, - drop the siege stuff, and put reaver's and Temerian infantry instead, bring Operator to duplicate one of the reavers.

The great thing about NR with Henselt is you can thin so well in round one that you can basically guarantee what you'll draw for rounds two and three, and very few decks beat a reaver bomb for round three (you can even keep ves and use it for that if you like)

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

Using henselt to draw all your Sarges is a strong opening move but don't put them all on one row for the sake of drawing Ves, you'll just get Ingi'd and lose the lot of em.

Ves protects them from igni if they don't damage her first (she's 7, they go up to 6), and so far no one has done that yet (surprisingly!).

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I know O'dimm is bad, but I have fun with him, and even win the guess most of the time! I was only running more than 25 to see which bronzes I liked better, just for tweaking it a bit. Radovid control in particular looks interesting, I guess I'll work towards that. Is overdose really that bad? 12 points for a bronze if you have at least 6 other guys out isn't that uncommon with blue stripes and such. Perhaps it'd fit better with temerian infantry + witchers or somesuch?

Bloody Baron seems like a good fit for what I've got going for now, as does Thaler, since he has a bunch of strength to bounce from with phillipa. Now all I need are the scraps...

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN

Captainicus posted:

Is overdose really that bad? 12 points for a bronze if you have at least 6 other guys out isn't that uncommon with blue stripes and such. Perhaps it'd fit better with temerian infantry + witchers or somesuch?

Thunderbolt potion does the same thing more reliably, can be used to stagger unit strengths and you already have too many bronzes. TBP and Immune Boost are better.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Captainicus posted:

Ves protects them from igni if they don't damage her first (she's 7, they go up to 6), and so far no one has done that yet (surprisingly!).

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I know O'dimm is bad, but I have fun with him, and even win the guess most of the time! I was only running more than 25 to see which bronzes I liked better, just for tweaking it a bit. Radovid control in particular looks interesting, I guess I'll work towards that. Is overdose really that bad? 12 points for a bronze if you have at least 6 other guys out isn't that uncommon with blue stripes and such. Perhaps it'd fit better with temerian infantry + witchers or somesuch?

Bloody Baron seems like a good fit for what I've got going for now, as does Thaler, since he has a bunch of strength to bounce from with phillipa. Now all I need are the scraps...

Baron is good in the meta, beats swarm and consume monsters (I could stop here to be honest) but also plays well against reveal and spy NG.

It's a tight deck though, better players know how to make it hard for you and keep your baron small which then leaves you really having to think through to R3. Also Vermicelli (Gold dragon, kill highest after 3 turns with the stupid name) is really key to the deck as that and baron is your best finisher.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

The average card quality for monsters, across all rarities, is just so much better than other factions. I think Swim said it best: the other factions would probably play Harpies as a silver, even after it has been nerfed twice.

This game won't be ready for release in a long-rear end time.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I hadn't played the last week. As I had read the meta now is Monster deck and especially Dagon I built for myself a half crippled Dagon semi-weather deck. I don't have Caranthir, Geels, Caretaker or Woodland Spirit, for example.
Even then I just won 6 games in a row, four of them in ranked. It's hilarious how this unoptimized deck I slapper together in a minute works because the meta right now isn't using clear skies because weather in theory wasn't worth it anymore.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Captainicus posted:

Just in case you weren't aware Mogwai has a video on YouTube playing this deck. He's a pretty good deck teacher and doesn't sound like a turbo nerd. One of the very few I can stand to watch.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Captainicus posted:

GIgni is rampant at higher levels and all they have to do is damage her at all and then they can pull 36 points of yours off the board, which is probably a game losing moment for you. It's putting all your eggs is one basket for the sake of a 7 point silver.

Also, aside from that card it also makes you supremely vulnerable to lacerate and other cards that affect the whole row.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

GIgni is rampant at higher levels and all they have to do is damage her at all and then they can pull 36 points of yours off the board, which is probably a game losing moment for you. It's putting all your eggs is one basket for the sake of a 7 point silver.

Also, aside from that card it also makes you supremely vulnerable to lacerate and other cards that affect the whole row.

Nah in theory it's pretty sound. You can hurl out 42 points in 2 turns and blind pass. Few deck can get close to matching that and Nobody likes playing 2 cards after their opponent passes in r1. It's a 100% tempo play and I think it'll see decent use.

Theoretically an epidemic could clean the row, but you'd need to be packing an epidemic yourself and not have played a unit with a value under 5.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nah in theory it's pretty sound. You can hurl out 42 points in 2 turns and blind pass. Few deck can get close to matching that and Nobody likes playing 2 cards after their opponent passes in r1. It's a 100% tempo play and I think it'll see decent use.

Theoretically an epidemic could clean the row, but you'd need to be packing an epidemic yourself and not have played a unit with a value under 5.

If you spread them out you still get 38 points, don't add a useless 3 point card to your deck, and protect yourself from GIngi. Also you can take a better silver than Ves.

Blind passing with that deck might work if it had cards powerful enough to win rounds two and three if your opponent kept playing to win round 1, but the deck is essentially a one shot and done. I can't see the handful of machine cards it has as powerful enough to come back if they don't win round 1.

Dwarves and Consume decks I should think would just keep rolling in round 1 and set up an unstoppable round 2 that he couldn't stop even if he had card advantage.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I was about to give up on NG reveal, then I put in letho and dbomb. The feeling of banishing queensguards, huge resilient dwarves, behemoths and everything else is exquisite. Works well against control too, you lock in your power and make their removal worthless. You can gently caress up bloody baron too, though I haven't had the opportunity.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Class Warcraft posted:

If you spread them out you still get 38 points, don't add a useless 3 point card to your deck, and protect yourself from GIngi. Also you can take a better silver than Ves.

Blind passing with that deck might work if it had cards powerful enough to win rounds two and three if your opponent kept playing to win round 1, but the deck is essentially a one shot and done. I can't see the handful of machine cards it has as powerful enough to come back if they don't win round 1.

Dwarves and Consume decks I should think would just keep rolling in round 1 and set up an unstoppable round 2 that he couldn't stop even if he had card advantage.

No sorry I was referring just to the K.Sgt -> Henselt with Ves = 45 points in 2 moves opener in general, not the rest of the deck. That's insane tempo and I think its going to start showing up a lot more.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Subvisual Haze posted:

No sorry I was referring just to the K.Sgt -> Henselt with Ves = 45 points in 2 moves opener in general, not the rest of the deck. That's insane tempo and I think its going to start showing up a lot more.

Yeah I use as the opening in my reaver deck and it owns, but then I follow it up in later rounds with temerian infantry , witchers, and reavers for just an avalanche of points. 60% of the time, it works everytime

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
That henselt combo is legitimately insane and does show up at high ranks (usually without Ves). It's fragile though, you can get screwed by anything that kills your first Sergeant, Scorch/Epidemic or just a bad mulligan.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, my experience was no-one wants to damage ves and then scorch, but some people were aware of this combo so they'd always kill the first seargent if they could. When I didn't have ves, I felt like it got scorched a lot. Did get epidemiced once too, against a scoiatel all-spells type deck.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i Played alot of ranked this morning and I now believe i have 4 different mmrs.

there is my real rating, which actually seems to be 2 different values that are always about 1-2 matches apart.

there is my rating that shows when I go to leaderboards, which right now is 200 mmrs below my current rating.

and then when I rank up, it displays my mmr as being ABOVE the required rating for the next level. I think this is just a bug, but it's still weird to get to 3100 for the third game in a row and then see my mmr suddenly jump up to 3411.

also as I get higher and flippantly playing toruviel isn't so good against people who aren't dumb, it still remains really effective to set it up so toruviel is the 5th elf on the board and you pull Aelirenn.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Up Circle posted:

i Played alot of ranked this morning and I now believe i have 4 different mmrs.

there is my real rating, which actually seems to be 2 different values that are always about 1-2 matches apart.

there is my rating that shows when I go to leaderboards, which right now is 200 mmrs below my current rating.

and then when I rank up, it displays my mmr as being ABOVE the required rating for the next level. I think this is just a bug, but it's still weird to get to 3100 for the third game in a row and then see my mmr suddenly jump up to 3411.

I get this bug constantly. I hate it because I essentially have to rank up twice in order for it to read properly

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Wild Hunt is such dogshit right now

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Nilfgaard:Dash mirror match was quite a bit of fun. I brought Dimeritium Shackles though, and my opponent did not.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Rank 20 :woop:

Weather monsters is still fantastic. I think I have one of the best versions too, although obviously I'm biased :D

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

King Pawn posted:

Rank 20 :woop:

Weather monsters is still fantastic. I think I have one of the best versions too, although obviously I'm biased :D

Wow. Nice job!

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
So as a monsters main who hasn't touched gwent since the last big update, what's up?
I thought they made weather garbage, Goodharpy even lost another point - why is it winning everything?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

The Gorp posted:

So as a monsters main who hasn't touched gwent since the last big update, what's up?
I thought they made weather garbage, Goodharpy even lost another point - why is it winning everything?

Weather was the only thing keeping it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

no it wasn't

SK savage bear was