Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley Alley behind the tavern

Feeling right at home in a poorly lit alley, Riley finds the darkest, most out-of-the-way corner and sits concealed among the trash. With her arms hugging her knees and her head resting against the wall, Riley falls asleep, perchance to dream of Leopold and the twins.

Riley enters the dreamworld to look for her friends. I'm using her flaw [-2 Acedia] to successfully find them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - Heading E > Greer's Stall

Nikita grunted at the "whatever your friend is" but declined to make an issue of it. Like someone with dwarfism had any place to stick their nose up about physical aberrations.

He cocked his head towards Isiah. "Mercenaries. Lots of labor needed in a merc camp, and I can do labor. Lots of wounded in a merc camp as well, and I can handle wounds and mending." It was at least something to put his thoughts toward, keep himself occupied if necessary. He returned his attention to the onion-man.

"Greer, tell me. What land is this? Who rules here? I was seized and brought here against my will, and nothing of this place is familiar to me."

Shardix fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 12, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Directly Outside The Smoking Remains of Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax
1 FP

"What the big guy said. We've just been arrested by an unknown party calling himself "The Master" who threatened to torture me to death. We're just trying to make sure we're not about to have a repeat experience. I'm happy to relay my experience to your Magus provided its not me being interrogated." Amerigo hoped he wasn't going to have to shoot more people before the day was done, especially since this one looked a lot more important than the "master" currently cooling into embers in the background, and he was seriously outnumbered now. Better play it cool until he understood exactly the political situation he was in.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 12, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Isiah Incipio - Heading E

Isiah fought down an urge to command the short gray man to provide his prince with a bath. The people here didn't know him or the proper forms of address, yet. He also ignored the Bone Blade's whispered suggestions that he follow the man home and then murder him so that he could use the man's bath. Instead, he assisted Nikita in squeezing all the information they could from the odorous little man. He had been trained from birth to sift truth from fiction and to interpret the sometimes deluded reports of scouts.

Directions secured, he would lead the way through the throng to the Black Army's camp and enlist with them at as high a rank as he could negotiate. Better to be a major than a platoon leader, but better any sort of officer than mere cannon fodder. Isiah had fought giant skeletons before, he had no wish to be amongst the unlucky first ranks who were invariably squished by the falling bodies if not by the giant's feet.

Heading out to join the mercs
Warrior Prince +4 to appear as martial and competent as Isiah's poor hygiene and penniless state allows

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 12, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Abdul the Unbound - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax | Promises: None! | FP: 1

In spite of all that had happened as of late, Abdul felt a dull sense of satisfaction at successfully aiding in putting out the flames. Of course, without the timely arrival of the apparent sorcerers, it could have been worse. Much, much worse. Even here, in this unknown and presumably distant world, magic could be the greatest tool when used properly. The golem is all too prepared to say his greetings, his gratuities for the help that his fellow prisoners have given, when he finds all of them surrounded by soldiers. That was… worrying. They did not seem hostile. Yet. But that could change all too quickly, as Abdul was aware of. He would prefer that it did not. Abdul motions for his fellow prisoners to step back as he moves towards the grey skinned elf. One hand raised in peace, the other raising a crown to his head.

“Excuse my companions. We have gone through a great ordeal in the past, oh, five minutes or so. They are rattled, wary. I, most likely, would feel the same if I was able to. I do, however, share their caution. While I would in normality come along most willingly, well… as he put it,” Abdul gestured to the warrior who freed him, “I would have an assurance as well. As such, speak from the heart before the Crown of Abdul-Sa’Ord: If we come along with you, you swear to do us no harm, nor will you aim to imprison us.”

OOC: Using the Crown’s Truth [+2] to ascertain whether or not this elf will screw us over if we go with him. If he passes the test, then Abdul will follow.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Ksenija Ceranic - Heading W -> With Old Sally

quote:

Ksenija calms down. Her visions of the bioprison overlaying her reality pop with sudden clarity. Everything was made of stone. Mundane stone out here. She took a deep breath. She stunk. Her clothes were ruined.

Glowing globes without any energy sources lit the way, then gave way to torches, then burning animal dung. Then darkness. The buildings were delapadated and the homeless, drunks, and dispossessed reminded her of her own home. Except the people were something out of a fantasy sim. Dwarves, orcs, kobold, elves. Her laptop cheerfully supplied passively through her implant.

A shanty town is soon evident. Burning barrels, hovels, and mats to keep the cold wind from one's bones. A blind albino human woman sniffs the air as you walk by her makeshift shelter. "Hey. Newcomer. Come here. Old Sally knows them new ones from the old ones." She wrinkles her nose. The slave brand on her forehead prominent. " We all smell of poverty here girl. But you... tears form in her milky white eyes. Did they hurt you too? The dark elves? Come here baby girl, we won't let them hurt you anymore." She beconed towards you. A small pot of stew was brewing and Ksenija's stomach growls.

Ksenija rubs her eyes. Sleep deprevation was starting to get to her. That had to be it. She didn't want to think about the other possiblity. Her stomach turns over in her belly. The stew is tempting, but she knows better. Everyone wants something. Even so, she is painfully hungry. She takes a step towards the woman, gripping the handle of her laptop. Her implant hums against the side of her skull.

Ksenija's Implant posted:

> source /opt/math/ar/arm1
loaded, run now? y/n
> n

Ksenija wasn't going to start anything, but by the code she'd finish it if she had to.

"Tell me, what did they take from you?" She says.

Ksenija's tongue tastes like roadkill. It flops around her mouth. Her eyelids are getting rebellious. She does her best to keep her wits about her, trying to sense if she's on the losing side of an ambush or if the food might be poisoned.

Ksenija will not eat the profered food yet, instead she will call on her Streetwise (+2) ways to try and gauge if this is some kind of trap.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 12, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Emilio Ughi - Heading W -> Alleyway w/ mugging
Flaw Points: 2

Emilio flashed his eerily perfect teeth, like he was wont in almost any situation. He spread his arms and took a friendly, non-confrontational swagger. "A slave? Good sirs, I am a slave to nothing but deals and profit, ahaha! I am Emilio, and an experienced practitioner of the mercantile arts. Indeed, the Merchant of Wonders, they call me", well, perhaps not yet, but this was as good a place to start as any, "Why, you might ask? Which, I must add, is a very good question", Emilio straightened his vest, "See, I deal in the magical, and the esoteric! The mystical and the mythical! Be it strength, youth, riches or beauty, I have it all in my emporium, for the most modest of prizes!" He winked, and made very deliberate eye contact with the hapless 'dwarf' (that is what they called these people, was it not?), "For example, I find myself rather short on staff. Power, endurance and prowess, as well as stable employment, all for the small prize of loyalty. Just say the word, and the deal will be struck."

Emilio smiled a wide, wide smile.

"Any takers?"

Social Chameleon [+2] (pfft attempted mugging? Will take more than that for Emilio to lose his cool in a social situation! He'll roll with it) and Merchant [+4] to convince the dwarf hobo to take the following sort of deal (and convince him that it's at least worth trying out, why not humor a crazy man who MIGHT be a wizard with a word or two): "Power and Endurance as well as general rear end-kicking ability for him, his loyalty for me." Better than being stabbed by a bunch of punks I'd say :v:

Wishmaster [+2] to make the Deal be reality, if it is counted to be part of this same action. Otherwise, feel free to only resolve that first part.

ALSO, if it works, I'd rather he merely temporarily incapacitate the thugs rather than kill them or make them run away. I have plans for them as well.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 12, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Isiah Incipio - Greer's Stall
&
Nikita - Greer's Stall

Nikita:"Greer, tell me. What land is this? Who rules here?"
Greer looked at Nikita thoughtfully. "Well you're in the Granite region of the under-realms. This is Slate-Iron city. Ruled by the council of six. Did you just say you were a slave? No reason. Just curious." There seemed to be more than curiosity in the last statement.

Isiah got a little more information from Greer on the subject of the mercenaries. Directions and a name. "Gaol the Black. Rumor has it he was once a batallion commander of the enforcers. Tall orc. Red. Can't miss him or his temper. So please mind you manners. He is a friend of mine."

If you're both ready to go once Nikita finishes with Greer and there isn't anything else we can move to the merc hq.

Patak - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax
&

Abdul the Unbound - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia DruralaxFP: 1
&

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax
1 FP

Patak: "What assurances do we have we will be able to leave if we desire, with all we carry with us now?"
The elf looked taken aback by the admission. "Are you admitting to being a fugitive from justice? That you robbed and murdered the lawfully appointed representative of this prison and were the direct cause of the irreparable damage to this district? Regardless of any other circumstances, acts, or real or imagined grievances and situation? This you admit here. Now. As you try to hide your criminality by righting your own wrongs, separate and irrespective of anything else anyone else has done? Two wrongs do not make right and furthetmore-"
Amerigo chimed in timely confirming Patak's story.
Amerigo: "What the big guy said. We've just been arrested by an unknown party calling himself "The Master" who threatened to torture me to death. We're just trying to make sure we're not about to have a repeat experience. I'm happy to relay my experience to your Magus provided its not me being interrogated." 
The elf goggled for a moment.
"You too admit!? No one has ever heard of this 'Master' before. Had you not murdered all witnesses we could have investigated. Punished under the law. It does not excuse your crimes, your killings, your theft. There is no justification for this mayhem and destruction. Innocents died. Defenders if this city died to contain this. Now you admit you all are the cause?"
Abdul:“I would have an assurance as well. As such, speak from the heart before the Crown of Abdul-Sa’Ord: If we come along with you, you swear to do us no harm, nor will you aim to imprison us.”
The elf gestured to all city defenders and firemen present. As one all either too up defensive positions, casting positions, or offensive positions around you. Now the elf was angry.
TRUTH [+2]: Abdul got more truth than he could ever bargain for. "You believe I don't know a compulsion or geas when I see one? I would have guaranteed your safety regardless. We would have considered you heroes!" He spat angrily.

"We are a civilized society of Rules and Law! We would have arrested and prosecuted this master. Criminal scum! But now you try to enslave me on top of your other admitted crimes! The gall! I'll tell you now, you all will come and be judged or we will grind you down to dust no matter how many of us you kill. You will be taken. You will be arrested. You will tire. No power is infinite. I swear by the ancient kings and the undercourt, that justice will be served! You can surrender your magical objects and plundered weapons and come in peace or we will take you."

A couple disc riders already had left to send word of this new turn of events. There were many innocents as well as enforcers between you all and safety.

:siren:This is where flaws can fuel or de-escallate a dramatic scene.
Patak; Justice[-2] If Patak feels he has been done unjustly and fights, for every 20 men killed he gets 1 Flaw Point. If he chooses not to fight and that these people are just, erase any FP and get one single upshift to banked for any future act.
Abdul; Pacifism[-2] If any of your companions choose to fight, you will hinder them giving them [-2] to any rolls. You can erase all FP. If you convince your companions not to fight, you erase any FP and gain an upshot to be banked for any future act.
Amerigo; Pride and Stubbornness[-2] This isn't right! If you fight Erase any FP. If one of your companions joins you: Amerigo gains two upshifts to be banked on a future act. If not: No free upshifts.

Silth - Host/Thomas -Sewers

"I'm Torn-ear!" The kobold proclaimed as he led you deeper into the tunnels. Eventually they widened and got darker. While Silth didn't need much light to see, the pitch blackness was impenetrable. The kobold held host-thomas' hand, leading him the rest of the way. "Here it is! Here! Safeness!"

Silth was led into a large area lit by lichen and a glowing moss. Several other kobold gasped in fear and hid at the sight of Silth's host body. Many hissed in fear but Torn-ear spoke out. "This tall one is like us! He can helps us with our problem if we hides him." The kobold gathered around and started pulling and guiding Silth to a side passage. In it there was a wall with a tall lever. "Can you pulls it?" Asked Torn-ear hopefully.

What will Silth do?

Hakon - Orphanage

"Who is that? Oooooh a maaaan!" The greybearded female coped letting her nightgown open. When her eyes fell on the eye, she grew quiet and stared into it's depths unblinking. Hakon felt the will leave the female. To be replaced by his own.

First thrall! .

The dream touches her friends faintly as if locked behind glass or underwater. The twins were worried about Riley but they were ok. The connection was tenuous and soon the dream faded as Riley was being kicked awake by a black armored dwarf. "Hey! No vagrants! I catch you around here again and you'll catch more than a beating!" The dwarf leaned in closer so witnesses couldn't hear. "Here take this coin. Get somewhere warm and far from here girl." He pressed a few copper coins into her hand. Straightening he bellowed, "Now off with ye!"

Riley discovers a mysteryThe dream world is broken off here. As if where she came from and where she is are wholly different universes. Which is incorrect. All dreams should go to the dreaming place. An interesting turn of events..

Ksenija Ceranic - Old Sally's Hut
No trap detected

Ksenija. "Tell me, what did they take from you?"
Sally sighed and put out two bowls for each of you. She spoke as she began to eat. "My innocence, my maidenhood, my beauty and youth, and when that was gone...my sight. Transferred in a healing ritual to a noble." She took another bite. "They used me hard girl. What did they do to you? Come. Sit. You can rest here. I will hide you from them. You sound hungry and tired."

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway w/ mugging

"I'll do anything to make it stop!" The dwarf agreed. The book shattered the silence if the night with a thunderclap. An underdog bated mournfully in the distance. Nothing happened.

"Bullshit." Said one of the toughs as he went to kick the dwarf again.

A fist the size of a large ham grabbed the leg as the now 8 foot tall powefully built dwarf rose above the gang. He threw the boy screaming into the rest as he delivered a very brutal but non-lethal beating. To each of them. The last scream was cutoff as he slapped the youth unconscious. The dwarf walked over to Emilio, towering over you.

"Is thank you wizard but I do not know your name. My name is Athrogate. Athrogate Stern. Call me Stern all my friends do. I owe you my life and will follow you wherever you go. Master."

]You have gained a follower! Athrogate Stern. His loyalty enforced by your artifact.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

quote:

Sally sighed and put out two bowls for each of you. She spoke as she began to eat. "My innocence, my maidenhood, my beauty and youth, and when that was gone...my sight. Transferred in a healing ritual to a noble." She took another bite. "They used me hard girl. What did they do to you? Come. Sit. You can rest here. I will hide you from them. You sound hungry and tired."

Ksenija rubs her temples. Maybe her hunger was making her paranoid, making her mean. She shakes her head and takes a seat across from Old Sally. Her laptop goes between her legs, close enough for her to feel comfortable, and for it to interface with her implant remotely. She takes a bowl of stew and starts eating.

"They took my home, my girlfriend, my career, my life." She says.

Safe, technically true things. No mentioning the laptop, the portal, how she got here. She thinks of Hannah's hands. Those wonderful hands. They got even better after she had the twitch wires installed, specially tuned by Ksenija and maybbbeeee she put sec-grade firmware on them. That red and silver hair spilling over her shoulder after she got home work. The way it looked tangled with her own black and blue hair.

"I guess no matter where you go rich people are all the same. We're all meat for the machine to them."

She works on her food slowly and thinks. Maybe she'll take the offer for a bed for the night, but only for a night. She needs to keep moving.

"You know anyone whose got work for a mechanic who can get places she's not supposed to be?"

Ksenija will eat the food and converse with Sally.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - Greer's Stall

Nikita's eyes narrowed. "No. I didn't. And if I should ever find slave takers hunting me, I know exactly which onion-eating cripple to talk to about it. In fact, I don't really care for you to speak of me at all."

He raised a hand and carved sigils in the air, chanting in the Old Tongue. Nothing seemed to happen. Just a cold stillness lingering in the air. Nikita turned towards Isiah, paying no more heed to Greer. "At your leisure. Let's see this 'Gaol the Black'."

Witch +2 to hex Greer, so that he is utterly unable to speak about Nikita. Any attempt to describe him or discuss what was said between them will blank Greer's mind - like having a word just on the tip of your tongue.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley clutched at the coins with feigned desperation. She squeezed the dwarfs hand and pleaded with him. "Please mister, I'm not a vagrant. I'm not even from around here. I don't know where I am or how to get back."

Riley sniffled and pretended to be on the verge of tears. Some marks you hit by taking advantage of their unawareness, and some marks you hit by taking advantage of their pity.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon - Orphanage

At first Hakon almost didn't believe it. He was frozen, just trying to process that the legends were true, that in the palm of his hand he held a power which would let him take anyone and leave them putty in his hands to shape as he pleased. However, as the reality of the situation came upon him, it took all his self control not to break out laughing. This was more than he had ever dreamed possible, everything he ever wanted was now within reach. It was time to put this new power to use. First he had the dwarven woman invite him inside and then set to work indoctrinating her into her new place in life.

He told her she was his thrall, that she lived only to serve him, that every fiber of her being burned to do his will. That nothing in the world matched the pure bliss she felt when she obeyed, or matched the intense feeling of happiness that came the more loyal and devoted she felt towards him. He taught her that the mere fact that she was his slave would fill her with a wonderful feeling of contentment and purpose, that the existence of any will other than his own was a curse a disease that must be eliminated. He ensured she knew that there was no greater gift that could be given than to have one's will overridden by his own like had happened to her.

Through it all, Hakon took exquisite care, even as he made sure she loved him more than life itself and worshiped him like a living god, to ensure that the dwarf woman's feelings were and would always remain entirely platonic. He simply had no such interest in women to begin with, but on top of that he was looking to create an instrument of his will, not a lover.

Once he was satisfied that the programming was complete, Hakon allowed the dwarven-woman to awake from the trance reborn. He quickly gave her some instructions. "Gather the orphans in one of the common rooms so that they can be enthralled." Before she could leave he added, "Do not inform them of the true reason for the gathering or allow them to become afraid and suspicious. They are still burdened with the curse of a will other than my own, and they do not yet understand just what a gift they are about to be given. Now go."

Once the orphans were gathered he would enter and use the gem on them in the same way he had on the dwarven woman, make them thralls with similar programming to hers.

Programming the dwarven-woman. tl;dr she's Hakon's thrall, exists to serve him, worships him like a god, feels bliss at obedience and intense happiness at devotion to him, thinks that being Hakon's thrall is the best thing possible and that not being dominated by him is a terrible curse. Hakon's also making sure her feelings are and will always be entirely platonic.

Sending her to round up the orphans for mass enthralling Eye of Davos[+2] to trance and program them in the same way as her.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Greer's Stall

Directions secured, Isiah lead the way through the throng to the Black Army's camp. As they walked he nodded approvingly at Nikita. "That was well done. I've dealt with his sort often enough to know they'd sell their own mothers if they thought it was safe. On the balance, I think I'd prefer not to mention his name or how we arrived in 'Slate-Iron City' when we find the Black Army. When we do, follow my lead. I've fought with mercenaries many times and I know something of what they're looking for in new blood. To wit, a steady courage and previous combat experience. I know you have bravery enough for two men and the scars our captor provided us with will likely pass well enough for battle scars on first examination."

Heading out to join Gaol the Black's mercs with Nikita
Warrior Prince +4 to appear as martial and competent as Isiah's poor hygiene and penniless state allows

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Disregard see below

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 15, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:siren: If I'm posting your flaw I'm invoking it if it's not clear. If I don't say otherwise you reduce your count by 1FP unless I'm throwing you a bone and erasing all of it and offering other bonuses.

It's not a trade off.

It's being invoked.

If there's a split choice for flexibility and role play it's a IF the situation goes one way or the other. Hope this clears things up.

I need see your flaw referenced in some way .

:siren:

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 14, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Thomas - Sewers

Host/Thomas hesitated for a beat, then gripped the lever and pulled. What the lever was for did not ultimately matter to Silth, and so it saw no reason to refuse the request. It would not bargain or extort, as humans did.

Silth still had questions, however. It would not be kept in the dark indefinitely.

"Where am I? Who are the disk riders? Who governs this city? And what can you tell me of Inter-dimensional Travel?"

Silth will Pull the lever. Silth will engage all the host's muscles and then some for a bit of Parasitic [+2] strength, if a roll is required.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 14, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway w/ no mugging

"Ah, marvelous, just marvelous!" Emilio clapped his hands together after Stern was done with his work, "You've done exceedingly well my man haha, keep up the good work!" Emilio paced about, scratching his chin as he peered at the unconscious teenagers, "Now tell me, Stern, how are the keepers of the law in these parts? Have they magicks to divine perpetrators of crime? And if they do, would they use it, say, if a number of young men from the better districts were to disappear? Asking purely hypothetically, of course, ahaha!"

Stern shook his head, "I've heard of them having such a thing, Master. They only use it if important people get offed though, these three as a whole would probably qualify however."

"Now now, Stern, I didn't mention these three did I?", Emilio pursed his mouth in thought for a moment, before flashing his smile again, "BUT since you mentioned them, you could as well shake them awake though, and remember to take their weapons. There are deals yet to be made."

When the trio of elves managed to open their eyes at Stern's gentle prompting, they were greeted by Emilio's wide grin. A confident grin, but not smug or smarmy. Good natured, but not apologetic or plaintive. Indeed, Emilio knew how to make a smile work for him, including having it tell utter lies.

"Good morning, young gentle-elves (these strange people were called elves, right?)! We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot. Apologies for that, but I just felt like you absolutely had to get first hand proof of my abilities", Emilio gestured at Stern, never easing his beaming smile, "So no hard feelings yes? I certainly have none ahaha, for as I already proclaimed, this deals and profit I seek, not grudges!"

Emilio leaned in a bit, "So hear me out, young sirs! Just as my new friend here got his wish for but a small price, so can you! And as you're some of my very first customers in this fine, absolutely stunning city, you will even get an opening weekend discount! Yes, no matter what it is you wish for in your lives, I can help you with! Perhaps you have some lady you wish the attentions of? Some rival you wish to put in their place? Somebody to impress, riches you wish to gather? Yes, any of this you can have, and all I require is that you not harm me in any way, that you keep your silence about me, except for doing some... discreet advertisement. Spreading rumors, of the Merchant of Wonders, who can help you out of any jam, no matter if you're rich or poor! And you will bring me some suitable clothes of local flavor, and some local currency for my own is not accepted here. A paltry price for what I can give, indeed, you're a lucky few, to get so much, for so little. Indeed, I will even heal your current wounds and straighten your scruffles on top of it all, to sweeten the deal! "

Emilio smiled, "Of course, I'm in no hurry, and am not opposed to bargaining..."

Social Chameleon [+2] (picking on cues to figure out what these alien people like and value) and Merchant [+4] (got to close those salessss) to try and make a base deal where these teens will not rat me out or harm me in any sort of way, as well as get out the word about me, as well as bring me suitable clothes and enough money to get by in a pinch. Of course, Emilio will try to wring as big a deal as he can get out of these teens, the more power they try to hoard for themselves, the more loyalty he expects of them (their powers, most likely social in nature, or at least that's what Emilio will try to steer them towards, of course, will make them even better at advertisement and rumourmongering). Talk them ALL the way into getting tongues coated in actual silver if I can, but word it so that they can only ever use it for my benefit, that sort of thing :v:

Wishmaster [+2] to make the deal a reality.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 14, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Patak - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax

Patak hated the mage’s tone. He clenched his fists. Patak suspected Law and Justice may not be hand and hand in this place. He gritted his teeth. “You twist my words. You miss my meaning. You threaten instead of command. You cannot tell a scry from a geas....”

Patak gave a glance to the intellectual beside him, catching his eye. He had killed the Master, and that afforded him much respect. What he saw was a similar anger, a glance at the innocents, and the spark of an idea. Patak gave a subtle nod. [We went over that exchange in discord]

“We have committed no crimes here. Our intentions are noble. Our homicide is justified. Where others would flee we stayed to keep the Master’s flaming legacy from spreading. It is a shame that his final act was to destroy the physical evidence of his crimes. It is vile that his cowardly act cost the lives of stalwart defenders of this place.” He raised his fist in a salute to the Fire-Dwarves.

Patak focused on the Mage again and dropped his weapons. “I would go with you to clear my name, but I will accept no irons until final judgement is made. I will surrender these weapons, but my Banner is mine. I pledge on my honor I shall not use it until final judgement is made, and if your court of law should be in error and find me guilty I will surrender it.”

Patak looked to his fellow frantically searching his book.

[I] Going to counter-invoke Justice to gain 1 FP which gives me a +2 to aid in this negotiation of the terms of our surrender if I understand.[/B]

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Directly Outside The Smoking Remains of Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax
1 FP

Amerigo raged internally, they were accused of capital crimes not an hour after escaping. There was no way the cops had no idea of the torture gulag operating in the GIANT SKULL FORTRESS in the middle of town. He was the son of a lawyer and member of the nation's legal body, and here he was being accused of grotesque acts of criminality by this two-bit thug in a uniform!

Fuming, Amerigo tries to think quickly...yes! It was infuriating when pulled in the Consillium, but maybe legal babble and street lawyering would work. The big guy had mostly said what he was thinking, up until the surrender part. If they were going to surrender he intended to do it from every position of strength possible. That included being treated as "Witnesses" not "Suspects"

If the Tactica couldn't find some obscure loophole in the law to get us out of this it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on, lets see if we can overload this low-ranking cretin's brain. He opens it to Vol II: The Law vs Justice. There it was, pg IV, new words glowing in the margin. "If you gentlemen will notice, The General Peacekeeping Act specifically includes exceptions for escaping disasters and Acts of the Gods. The fact we were here attempting to contain the blaze qualifies for discretion per the Undercity Fire Act and furthermore..."

Okay, I'm giving this one turn before we have to get violent. Rolling [Tactica Transoceania: Governance +2] to find a loophole and Sovereign Citizen my way out of getting arrested while my ad hoc team does their own thing. Basically trying to get us back to "go see the Magus" without doing it in handcuffs or w/e

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 15, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Abdul the Unbound - Directly Outside Prison Fortress Pandemonia Druralax | Promises: None! | FP: 1

Worry turned to mild frustration as Abdul listened to the elf speak. Yes, perhaps the golem had been overzealous with his use of the Crown, accustomed to the more lax laws and customs of his original land. Yet that did not justify such… bitterness in response. Admittedly, that was not taking into account what his two compatriots had confessed, but still. Besides, while the taking of the Master’s life (the one that had imprisoned them, not His Master) may have been unneeded, unnecessary, they were hardly fugitives from justice. Well. Abdul wasn’t, at least. He would not speak for the others, nor the ease they moved to respond with violence. They hadn’t done so yet, thankfully. If this could still be settled with words, then the golem would try.

“As the warrior says, I do not seek to enslave nor enforce upon you my will. The Crown compels from others, yes, but only the Truth and nothing more. If you believe otherwise, then I am afraid your experience is simply mistaken.” Abdul frowns as the warrior goes on, saying, “And though I would hesitate to claim our homicide was ‘justified,’ your immediacy to see us slaughtered without hearing our case nor investigating the situation further reflects poorly on your ‘civilized society.’ Especially when as we have done you no harm, and in fact, quite the opposite in our efforts to contain the flames, minimize the damages that we are indirectly responsible for. Not all of us imprisoned by this Master had such noble intentions, as the warrior puts it.”

Abdul, having no weapons to drop, merely holds his wrists out in surrender. “The warrior may not accept irons, but I have no qualms in doing so. For I have no desire for conflict, now or otherwise. You desire to ‘grind us down to dust,’ if needed. Yet none of us three have risen blade, fist, or…” The golem paused, unsure as to what the instrument of destruction possessed by the book-wielding man was actually called. “...other implements. There is no need to escalate matters. We, if not innocent, are victims in this situation. Taken and imprisoned against our will, without legal cause. If you will listen, you will understand that.”

OOC: Abdul surrenders to prove a point, because he is genuinely annoyed with the elf’s response and views it as excessive, while reprimanding said reaction. Since Amerigo is unable to do it, using Heart of Guileless Gold [+2] to try and sway the crowd to our side, and convince them that if nothing else, this elf is seriously taking things way too far.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 15, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
:siren: Sorry for being scarce. Work has been hectic due to RL dumb. Here is the update!

Isiah Incipio- Merc Hollow
&
Nikita - Merc Hollow

Greer tried to speak to Nikita again but as soon as a name formed in the dwarf's mind he had a mini stroke. Soon he was left sitting, slack faced when he tried talking to the both of you. The cumulative effect of the hex taking it's toll.

It wasn't long before you both reached the encampment located in Merc Hollow. The guards looked at Isiah curiously but his warrior aura carried you both through. A toad faced human missing both his ears guided you to the leader's tent. From outside an argument could be heard. Mostly about the losses in the wilds beyond the city. "Go on." Said the man. "But be respectful, the company may be on hard times but we are still the best in the six cities."

How you want to make your entrance is up to you both.

Patak - the Black Tower
&

Abdul the Unbound - the Black Tower
:

&

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: the Black Tower

As Abdul continued talking the commander looked pointedly at the golem and said. "Shut. Up. No one cares. What you have to say is meaningless. You just did what you did and used some of the most powerful magic we have ever seen on our minds. There are laws here you automation. Your surrend-"
Amerigo jumoed in and suddenly seemed to have quoted the most obscure laws, some of which had not been invoked in centuries. Patak's additional assurances and the fact that none of you erupted into violence gave the leader pause. "One moment." He turned his head and spoke into his sleeve. "Really. Really. Hmm. I guess if used in that way. Fine." He didn't look angry anymore. He pointed at Abdul and spoke to Amerigo and Patak. TRUTH [+2]"A word of warning before speaking to the Magus. Don't confess to anything, and don't let this one speak for you. We don't care about words of protest or innocence, we have the evidence. You have one chance to tell your story. One. Casting charges and aspersions on the dead is meaningless. So unless you have a time mage playback the crime scene, shut up. You all likely couldn't afford one anyway. So unless you have actual proof that isnt a confession to a crime, keep it to yourselves."

The leader then turned to his men. "Let them keep their weapons. We will escort them to the tower to see the Magus. Upon my word. Let them not come to harm before speaking with him."

With that scores of soldiers and a squad of disc riders escorted Abdul, Patak, and Amerigo through the streets to the tower. As the trio walked through the streets, they passed dozens of guard posts, patrolling guardsmen, and large red skinned elite orc enforcers. Had they fought they may not have made it out alive, the elf's words about his manpower not a boast.

Brought through three sets if large gates the size of small mountains, you are escorted below deep into the fortress-mage tower. It is practically teeming with magi, warlocks, and sorcerers. Troops of many stripes rush about their duties. Before long you are brought before two large brass doors. An elf guardian pounds on a large bell with a hammer.

Silence reigns in the hall as the door grinds open. The hush is oppressive in the dark space beyond. Suddenly two large bright sources of light appear and zoom in close. A thunderclap accompanies light as the space becomes visible. An extremely ancient golden dragon sitting on mounds of molten metal regards you.
"So, you have come. Tell me why you have disrupted the life of my city. I hear you fought the fire but may also be it's cause. Have a care, if you cannot prove what you say. You will suffer the consequences."

Don't gently caress this up now. The dragon before you is one of the council of six. It is beyond most mortals and runs the law enforcement arm of this government.

The lever is pulled and fresh water flows into a basin below. The creatures all rush and drink thirstily. "Thanks you!" It says. "You is in slate-iron city. Ruled by the six. Dunno bout the rest of its. You hit your head meats?" The kobold asks curiously.

Hakon - Orphanage

The children are gathered, sleepy eyed. They start to ask who you were, but the Eye stops all of that. The indoctrination is easier than the grown dwarf, Hakon realizes. Children had less will and were more apt to be told what to do. Mistress Greybeard bowed low before you. "What do you command master of masters?"

You Now possess an orphanage.

If it wasn't apparent, the dwarf was being watched. His face contorting into a visage of rage he began beating you. Cursing you. Repay his secret kindness with outing him to the nobles. He'd teach this street rat a lesson. Riley could hear it all muttered from the dwarf's breath. It would be a savage beating.

You can take a beating or enter combat.

"I might know of someone. His name is Julto. A Smith to be sure, but a weird one. Come now it is time to sleep. I'll give you directions in the morn.

The night passed and you found sleep restful for the first time in a long time. Sally gave you some packed food from her meagre stores and directions to the shop. "Be careful. And I hope you find your girlfriend." She hugs you before you go.

You can go the short path through the slums or the long path around them.

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway

Stern shook the boys awake. When you made your offer it was hard to believe. But when they saw Stern they had to. Each of the noble children thought then asked for almost the same thing. Their inheritance now. They would provide clothes, money, and tell their friends. Not quite as creative as Emilio would hope. And no request for supernatural power, but Emilio could use any of the nobles' estates provided he could get them control.

]Seal the deal? Y/N? Or try for something deeper?

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon - Orphanage

Hakon's smile grew only wider as the minds of the orphans were molded to his liking. There would be time to instruct them on what their new purpose in his service would be later. For the moment, he dispatched them to run him a bath, prepare him a meal, and to clean his clothes. As for the matron, he began to inquire as to this strange new world, looking at first for basic information: physical traits like day/night cycle, seasons, weather, etc. Once he had that down he moved to more complex questions, basic political information, the nature and extent of supernatural powers like magic, and a basic layout of the economy. Then he inquired if the matron knew anything of the local criminal element.

Sending the orphans to handle the scut-work for making Hakon look presentable (preparing a bath, cleaning his clothes, etc.) while he pumps Mistress Greybeard for basic info on this new world he finds himself in. Not sure any qualities really apply here.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The fresh, clean water reminded Silth that its host was filthy. Acceptable for blending among the sewer-dwellers, but a hindrance on the street above. For a brief moment, it remembered the cool waters of its homeworld. But such things were not to be.

"Yes, I hit my head meats. I have no knowledge of this city," Host/Thomas replies. "Who would have the answers to my questions? Can you tell me how to find them?" He pauses a moment. "Also, is there somewhere I can clean up?"

Time to find someone who's brain I can pick. :v:

Caufman
May 7, 2007

It wasn't going to be pretty, but Riley decided not to break character. She went down and curled into a ball, sobbing for mercy.

"I'm sorry! Please, I don't need to be beaten."

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Patak - The Black Tower | 1 FP

Patak fell to his knees at the sight of the Dragon. To onlookers it would seem he had an existing veneration for the creatures. In truth Patak had never seen a metallic dragon, for in his home plane they were once champions of law, justice, and order. They were also long dead.

He laid his Banner before him and spoke. "Magus, we have been taken from other worlds against our will. I hope it is evident we are out of place, for we find ourselves strangers in this underground world. To not see the sun, or sky, or clouds. To not feel the blowing of the wind, the warmth of the sun, or the wetness of rain ever again all terrifies me. My plea is one of mercy."

"We escaped our captivity and found ourselves escaping the flames to your city. Upon our arrival we found the valiant Firefighters working to contain the blaze and for reasons each our own decided to help. I for honor of the couragous Dwarves."

He held his arms wide, palms up and raised his head to expose his neck. It was apparently a respect or worship pose. "My name is Patak, and in the interest of Justice to satisfy the demands of your government and of our inability to prove our complete innocence I ask to be placed in service. Our- I cannot speak for the others but they are as capable as I, though the Golem is unable or unwilling to bring harm to another- my skill as a warrior and leader, with my Banner here as well, would be a great asset to one worthy of my fealty." He dared to look the Magus in the eye. "I hope you are that one."

Going with a plea deal. I contend I did nothing wrong, but I cannot prove a drat word of my story but hopefully what condensed version I gave has some merit. Going to Justice +6 to put it all on the line and gain 3 FP in the process.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Merc Hollow

Isiah waited until there was a pause in the argument within then stepped inside with my head up and shoulders back. "Pleased to finally meet you Gaol the Black. You're reputation as the leader of the best company in the six cities has spread far and wide. My friend and I have traveled from distant lands to join you. In my own land I was a Diademed Battle Lord, a leader of men and victor of more battlefields than I have moons. A sudden outbreak of peace brought me in your direction. Nikita, I met along the road, when he slew several bandits that were attacking me and we convinced the survivors to follow us until our victories made them rich enough to retire. Never have I encountered a tougher man, and only a few stronger. We faced many dangers to reach you, and slew more than our share of evil sorcerers. We want nothing more than to make our weapons, our skills, and our experience available to you, the best mercenary captain anywhere. And get rich doing so, of course."

"I for example, have fought giants more than once." Isiah gave the best sales pitch he could. All he could do now was wait to see how it was received and negotiate his price up as high as he could. Not that he had much to negotiate with; as his battle worn prisoner-rags made uncomfortably clear.

Sales pitch to get a job as a merc

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 17, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Ksenija Ceranic - Old Sally's Hut -> The Long Way Around The Slums

quote:

"I might know of someone. His name is Julto. A Smith to be sure, but a weird one. Come now it is time to sleep. I'll give you directions in the morn.

The night passed and you found sleep restful for the first time in a long time. Sally gave you some packed food from her meagre stores and directions to the shop. "Be careful. And I hope you find your girlfriend." She hugs you before you go.

You can go the short path through the slums or the long path around them.

Ksenija can't resist Sally's mothering anymore. She sets an alert if her laptop leaves the interface radius while she sleeps and lets herself drift off. Her dreams are of Hannah, her twitch-wire stutter, long walks down the Sinisas Way during dark hours, scrounging for food together during the bad times. When she wakes up, part of her almost expects to see Hannah next to her.

No such luck, at least her laptop is still there. She prepares to leave, and can't resist Sally's insistence on a hug.

"Thank you, for everything. It was nice to remember the world has good people." She says.

After they come apart she picks up her laptop.

"I promise, when I can. I'll repay you."

She listens to the directions, and saves a text copy to her implant.

"Thanks, be careful Sally."

Ksenija sets out, she'll move around the slums. You never go into a slum as an outsider with valuables if you can avoid it, and food is definitely a valuable. She feels sharp, clear, her fingers twitch idly as she walks, and she lets her instincts guide her through the streets.

Ksenija will take the long way and listen to her Streetsmarts (+2) in an effort to stay out of danger.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 18, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - Merc Hollow

Nikita wasn't sure if the matter with Greer troubled him or not. Nothing in this land had softened his view of it as a rotting cesspool of degenerate slavers, but breaking a man like that was perhaps beyond the pale. Had he misspoken and his magics warped? Or was Greer somehow far more susceptible to hexcraft then a normal person? Well, whatever. What was done was done.

Nikita crossed his arms and stood besides Isiah as he spoke, feet planted wide and a disinterested look on his face. Not that these mercenaries were likely able to tell one mood from another on a face like his.

"The Lord might be overselling my capabilities a bit. A bit. I can break a man if needed, but my skills lie in a strong back and a strong work ethic. Hire me on and I can promise you this: your quarter master will be furious only that you didn't find me years ago." He idly scratched his chin, tentacles slowly undulating behind him. "That aside. I know herbs and warding, hexcraft and healing. And while I see no signs it might be valuable to you, should you need a ship-wise man, there is nothing that floats on water I cannot crew or pilot."

As he spoke, he focused his will. It was incredibly difficult to work his magic without sigil or speech, but it was possible. Usually he got a splitting headache for his troubles. He weaved subtle illusions over his companion, trying to smooth over the rough spots. Make his armor and clothing seem less worn and travel stained. His bearing more ferocious. His words more resonant. Here was a purported lord of Men. Let him fit the part more aptly.

Witch +2 to subtly support Isiah and make him more an appealing recruit in the eyes of these mercenaries.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway

Emilio clapped his hands together mirthfully, despite (or perhaps even because of) the teenagers' macabre suggestion. "Good, good! Excellent even! See, I knew we could come to an understanding, and I do indeed possess the ability to have the local inheritance rules, shall we say, go in your favor", a conspiratorial wink, "And if that is where you wish to end our dealings, then that is fine as well, however..." Emilio allowed a silence to hang just long enough to build a little suspense, "it would be crass of me not to offer a word of advice. See, as scion to inheritance and holder of it both, I have both experience and vision that you might lack. See, it is altogether different when you're the one in charge of the riches. People will start looking at you differently, conspiratorially, even. You will have to be far more wary than currently."

Emilio flashes his smile, "Not to worry though, my good gentlemen! Even a small edge over your rivals and enemies will make it far easier for you to properly enjoy your well-earned riches, rather than having to spend time and effort on droll paranoia. A bit of skill over words and hearts, intuition for the intrigue, a little boost goes a long way my friends! And suffice it to say, the lowered prices are still in effect..."

Emilio will ACCEPT the current bargain if it comes to it, BUT he will make a last ditch effort to rope convince the kids into more ambitious deals on top of the inheritance thing (with corresponding, more ambitious prices for them to pay of course), whilst taking care not to push too much (his position is till shaky, so better play it safe than go for broke). Social Chameleon [+2] (making suggestions the kids would find relatable and non-objectionable even though he still is rather clueless as to local culture and norms) and Merchant [+4] (GOT TO CLOSE).

Wishmaster [+2] to make the deal a reality.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Isiah Incipio- Merc Hollow
&
Nikita - Merc Hollow

"Ganelon, we will speak later." The man who could only be Goal said to a white bearded human warrior. The man left in a huff. Turning to you, Goal listened to your pitch. "You lads are lucky we need bodies now. You're hired, but will need to pass basic muster. A series of warrior tests and how you fare at them will determine what rank you start at. Promotion is common, due to the high mortality rate amongst the men."

"If you agree we can get you tested, fed, and rested. What do you say?"

There will be a test of:
Strength
Agility
Guile
Strategy
Character

They won't be the same for both of you and will be independent of each other.

Patak - the Black Tower
&

Abdul the Unbound - the Black Tower
:

&

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: the Black Tower

Patak: "Captivity?" The dragon asked puzzled. The plea was felt. Patak knew within his heart. But the dragon focused in on the detail like a gold coin missing from it's hoard. It could make the just decision but had to be sure. Justice

The dragon looked to Amerigo and Abdul. "What of the two of you? Tell me."

The Kobold thought for a moment. "You can cleans here!" It exclaimed pointing at the water flowing. "Up above there is the book place. I could show you where." It added helpfully.

You can also just get directions if you want to ditch the kobold.

Hakon - Orphanage

As the orphans started their work, mistress Greybeard imparted the tale:

"Long ago the lands below once were the above. All manner of life lived on the surface and we had the love of the gods as we loved and honored them. But the kings of old grew wicked and the people sinful. The gods turned their backs from us. Then the great Adversary came. Without the protection of the gods he scourged the surface lands with fire and hate. All would be destroyed with all life ended.

But the ancient dragons and all of the archmagi banded together with the technologist and artificers, along with the clockwork emperor and they devised the way.

Sealing the power of elements into crystals of power they struck back with their magic, science, and armies. The Advesary was wounded. But he had one lasting punishment in store for the races. With a mighty display of power he sank the lands above into the lands below. So deep none can escape. In the chaos and underwars afterwards the new kingdoms formed. Each claiming a crystal with an element. This was in a time beyond remembering. The balance of power is maintained by each country having their crystal and able to deny that element to the others and them in turn.

The light crystal reaches across the whole underrealm to light the central stones of every capital each morn for example."

Hakon asked more questions. Areas outside the major cities had to get their own light. Otherwise everything existed in darkness, the way lit by the light you carried. There were underground rivers, lakes, and seas. There was rain and storms underground as the "skies" were so high and moisture formed and fell down below as rain.
There was ice and snow, but only near the Crystal of ICE and it's city. Lava and fire near the Crystal of Fire and it's city. Wonderous and dangerous creatures flew the 'skies' of underrealm and many monsters roamed the wilds away from civilization.

Mistress Greybeard knew mostly generalities from her education at the church of darkness. She didn't know much about geography or the names of lands outside her own home. Slavery was a punishment for debt, being poor, or breaking laws. Law was absolutely enforced. Life was hard in underrealm but ultimately needed the order imposed by the kingdoms.

Part myth, bedtime story, and actual information.

Riley A cage, slave processing

A fist was the last thing Riley saw as she was knocked into undreaming unconsciousness. When she awoke she was in a cage packed full of people. They were moaning in despair and misery. A large red orc clad in black armor with a golden eye emblazoned on the front of it shook the cage mightily. It laughed and cackled like a demon. As it pointed to the sign leading underground. It said in elegant dwarvish script: Slave Processing

All of Riley's belongings were missing. However under her clothes, it seemed they had missed her artifact.

The cart came to a halt and a cadre of chaos orcs surrounded it. A fat red-bearded dwarf addressed the caged filth and dregs.

" Well, you broke the law and now here you are." A man in the cage started to protest but was soon cut short by a sword thrust into his gut. The impaled man sprayed blood on everyone in the cart. People pressed and screamed before the dwarf silenced them with a shout. He continued. "You'll be stripped. Shaved. Inoculated. Branded. Chained and sold. Your lives are over, because you made a choice. Now they will be made for you." He gestured to the orcs.

"Process them."

People were dragged from the cage. Riley was small and there was an opening between one of the orc's legs. The gate to the outside loomed open. Riley had one chance to escape. If she wanted to.

You could escape, or try to talk to the Processor General.

Ksenija Ceranic - Julto's Shop

"It took longer than Ksenija thought to find the smithy. By the time she got there the shop was closed. Most of the craftsmen & merchants were closing up shop. A few taverns were just starting their nightly libations. Ksenija could wait here or try to spend the night in one of the taverns. In any case, the smith's sign said he would open 8 hours past stone's first light. Whatever that meant.

Shop is currently closed, it took all morning and afternoon to circumvent the slums. But no one molested you. Ksenija can either wait outside the shop or try one of the taverns.

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway

The offer rolls off of the first two. "Just want my money now!" One of them said. However one of the boys thinks it over. "I'll take it." He said hastily. The book glows and soon the deal is sealed in thunder and sparks. The boys look at themselves. "I don't feel no differently." The other two said.
"Sure ya do." Said Lordling Silver-tongue.
And they did. The lad smiled and thanked Emilio. "Come by our estates whenever you have need." The lad said politely. "After the funerals of course. I'll send your clothes and money. The others as well." He handed Stern a bulging coinpurse. "For the master of the deal, take care of him Stern."

With that the lads left.

One of them goes for it. He is lordling Silver tongue

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 19, 2017

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Thomas ahh'd. Books! It knew what books were. And the book keepers would no doubt contain useful knowledge themselves.

But first, cleaning up. Host/Thomas would likely not get far reeking and covered in filth. So Host/Thomas cleaned up, as best he could with what limited resources he had. Better than being caked in grime, at least, for passing unnoticed.

"Directions will do fine, thank you. Risking yourself is unnecessary."

Washing up, getting directions from the kobold, and heading that way. To the Library!

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Abdul the Unbound - The Black Tower | Promises: Dragon Service for Not Getting Nom’d? | FP: 1

A dragon. Abdul was familiar with such creatures from his world, and he had handled more than a few fangs, claws, and even a heart once while serving his once Master. Yet, the golem had never met a live dragon before. He was not sure how to react. With awe? Fear? Respect? If this dragon was as powerful as the beings from his world, then it deserved all of that and more, even ignoring the fact that its breath was almost certainly potent enough to pierce Abdul’s stony skin. Dragons were intelligent. They were cunning. They were mighty. They were dangerous. And they were very, very prideful. If this dragon was the ruler of law here… then breaking said laws was an offense indeed. The golem would have to be cautious.

It was not entirely unsurprising that the first of them to speak would be the warrior. Patak had proven himself a brave man more than once now, and thankfully not an entirely senseless one either. As the dragon addressed Abdul more directly, the golem followed Patak’s lead and began to kneel, or at least lower himself as far as his rigid body would go.

“An honor, Magus. I am Abdul, and as my companion has said, we were brought here from another place, another world without our consent. Upon our arrival, we were immediately set upon and assaulted, captured and imprisoned by forces unknown. Forces, so I believe, whom brought us upon this realm with purpose and malicious intent. Else, why were they already prepared with acid and methods to generate electric currents when I was summoned?”

The golem thought about that as he spoke. It was rather odd, come to think of it, that his captors had the perfect tools to subdue him. For some reason, they wanted him in particular among the countless others in his world, and had prepared accordingly. But why him?

“I do not know why I and my fellow prisoners were brought here, but when held against our will, it came only naturally to seek freedom. So, we sought, and we found. Yet for reasons unknown to this one, the facility exploded as we fled. If that was all, then I would have thought little of it. However, with the explosion came great flames that engulfed the city. And while it was presumably through no direct fault of my own, I believed it only right to aid in quelling the flames. Whether we were responsible or not, I have never cared to see lives lost.”

And now came the final part of Abdul’s speech: What was to be done with the golem?

“As Patak has discerned, I will not harm another, for it goes against that which I am. Yet, I will not contest that our actions have caused a great deal of damage to the city, even if we were forcibly seized from our worlds. As such, recompense is demanded by the law. I cannot, and will not, act as enforcer or criminal deterrent. But, if you are Just, Magus, then I can serve as I have done for countless villages in my homeland: as a Determiner of the Truth. If there is one trait that I will claim for myself, it is honesty. I do not speak falsehoods, and neither do others who bask in this Crown’s presence. For the damages we have committed, I offer my aid and assistance until you deem our crimes repaid.”

OOC: Much like Patak, I am attempting to trade not getting nom’d by this dragon in return for assisting the law with my Crown (and good heart.) I am also going into a little more detail about our capture and the events shortly after, because while we may have only been trying to save ourselves, Abdul does feel that he and the others are at least partially responsible for the fire. Trying out Heart of Guileless Gold [+2] here, since I don’t think Pacifism really applies?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - Merc Hollow

"Ha! You've got yourself a deal." Nikita grinned despite himself. It was rare to find anyone who adhered to the concept of a meritocracy. And the man had made no comments about his appearance. Insults didn't trouble him much, but it was an appreciated gesture when folks didn't harp on the issue. Like they thought he'd never looked in a mirror in his life or something.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

Ksenija Ceranic - Julto's Shop -> Tavern

quote:

It took longer than Ksenija thought to find the smithy. By the time she got there the shop was closed. Most of the craftsmen & merchants were closing up shop. A few taverns were just starting their nightly libations. Ksenija could wait here or try to spend the night in one of the taverns. In any case, the smith's sign said he would open 8 hours past stone's first light. Whatever that meant.

Shop is currently closed, it took all morning and afternoon to circumvent the slums. But no one molested you. Ksenija can either wait outside the shop or try one of the taverns.

Ksenija shrugs. Better to be late than dead because you got shanked over a little food. Then she hears something familiar; drunken laughter. The sounds of gambling. A grin grows on her face. She was a professional mathematician, more than halfway to a doctorate when her life was destroyed. Not to mention her implant, designed explicitly to handle math that would give most people a nosebleed. These people probably couldn't tell a differential equation from their rear end. There would be blood on the table, purely metaphorical blood.

She steps into the tavern, then she remembers she has no money. It still doesn't unstick the smile from her face. Just means she needs to find some seed money first. The bar might look a little bit different, but they're all the same in the end. There's always money floating around. People desperate for an ear, someone loose with their credcard. All she had to do was wait for the right moment, or make it. She still had arm1 loaded from last night. All it would take was one thought. Ksenija bites her lip. The smell of her own filth makes her sick, and that's what pushes her over the edge.

> /arm1
running arm1...

A popping noise in her ears, the smell of ozone in her nose, her implant and laptop vibrate softly in her skull, in her hand. The interference she's come to expect from running Anti-Real Math equations starts. She grits her teeth as it fills her mind.

I WaS A LONELY CITY AND YE GAVE ME EYES. THERE WAS NEVER A SEA SO SUNLESS AS THAT ONE. wE are EVERything

After that, it becomes simple electronic screaming in her head. She learned to filter it out a while ago, but it's still annoying. She tries to keep her eyes peeled for a good oppurtunity to make a little money off the chaos.

Ksenija will use Murphy's Law (+2) to attempt get her hands on some seed money to gamble with.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 19, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon - Orphanage

It was interesting, Hakon had never even imagined a world like this one, but here he was. He supposed as a thief he should enjoy a life of constant night, but he had found it sort of disorienting, he was used to day and night, not the constant twilight that characterized the city. Still, no matter what else, this was better than being a prisoner of those damned monks.

Once he had gotten a change to clean himself up, and enjoyed a meal and clean clothes, he gathered his thralls. "Now that I am refreshed I will show you your new purpose in life." He looks out over the orphans, you are going to be my eyes, seeing all over this area." He smiled, orphans could be excellent spies, but they were rarely used as such. After all, children were fickle and prone to talk out of turn, not necessarily a reliable spy. However, Hakon was confident that his spies would be the soul of discretion and would happily die before even considering betraying him.

So, Hakon taught the children their new place in the world. He taught them how to see and how to remember, how to avoid notice and how to get places. They were all eager students, with the total focus only thralldom could bring. He would fashion them into his Eyes, gathering information without drawing suspicion to themselves or their master. Information was after all, the the commodity he needed the most at the moment.

Remaking the orphans into Hakon's Eyes, tiny spies using their innocuous appearance to gather information for their master. Former Thief[+4] for teaching the basics of information gathering (from experience with finding things to steal and casing places and identifying who to pickpocket etc.) and getting around without being seen. Practiced Con-man[+2] for teaching them how to avoid and deflect suspicion if they are noticed and pumping people for info without them noticing their being pumped.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah Incipio - Merc Hollow

Isiah, unaware of Nikita's working, appreciated the courtesy of not mentioning their ragged appearance. He grinned broadly and shook Gaol's hand. "I look forward to the opportunity to demonstrate my value and gauge that of your testers."

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley A cage near Slave Processing

After watching the man get impaled for speaking out of turn, Riley decided being a slave in this country was as good as being dead. She would have to take the opportunity to escape, but there was one trick she wanted to try to gain the advantage. She reached under her clothes to push the whalebone flute as close as possible to her mouth. Doing her best to conceal the flute from the orc and the dwarf, Riley played the softest note she could manage.

Attempting to use the flute of [+2 Resurrection] to bring the dead man back to life and [+2 Sneaky] to escape out the gate in the confusion.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: The Black Tower
1 FP

Okay, this day was getting worse, somehow. He was now facing a giant, likely carnivorous beast with the full backing of a police state behind it. His two comrades had spoken, and while the brute had been a little more circumspect, that idiot rock with a martyr's deathwish had practically confessed, so what was now required was the legal performance of a lifetime. He took what the pointy eared goon said to heart, say as little as possible while answering the question, confess to nothing.

"Magus, as was said, I was taken from my homeland and I escaped. I have no love for disorder or chaos and so I aided the dwarves as it was the right thing to do."

Getting out from judgement in a police state would probably incorporate [Full Frontal Liberty+4] to talk my way out.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Emilio Ughi - Alleyway -> Inn, at least hopefully

Emilio offered the teenagers a bow that was perhaps just a touch too flamboyant as they left, "Ahaha! Believe me, young gentlemen, the pleasure was all mine!" His gleaming smile did not let up even a bit as he watched the boys leave, until they were out of sight behind the corner. Then he turned to his new assistant.

"Now, Stern, my good man, it seems I have stranded myself in some sort of unknown underground society, with little to my name except my considerable powers over reality. In this, you shall be tasked to help me. First, should you know the local area, I'd have you guide me to a local innkeeper of some sort, preferably one who is desperate and doing excessively poorly. One that would be willing to give most anything for... our modestly priced slivers of success and peace of mind."

Emilio chuckled, "And whilst we are going, Stern, I'd appreciate a brief on this society I find myself in, at least in the capacity you're capable of giving. What is it called, what sort of peoples and cultures are present, who claims to rule and who actually rules, that sort of thing."

Having Stern guide me to a desperate Innkeeper of some sort, whilst giving me an exposition dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Isiah Incipio- Proving Grounds

"Good, Isiah. Follow your guide to your testing ground." Isiah was led down to a parade ground. Around it were weights and large objects. Several large men and orcs were attempting to pick up and throw a large iron ball with handles on it. The men cheered and or jeered based on how far. The guide explained: "This is the test of strength, how far you can throw the iron will determine how well you score. Simple enough right?"

Test or refuse

Nikita - The Pit

"We shall see how you fare. Follow your guide." Nikita was led to a wooden building nearby. Inside there was smoke and cheering. It looked like a cross between a fighting pit and a tavern. An thin elf stripped to the waist was wrestling with a large brute in a loincloth. The rules seemed simple. You won by pinning your opponent, pushing them out of the ring, or making them submit. The elf had technique but the raw barbarian power saw him thrown from the ring. The winner threw his arms in the air and the crowd began chanting: "Ogre-sun! Ogre-sun! Ogre-sun!"

Your guide pointed at the ring. "This is your test of strength. Win and it will improve your starting standing among us."

Test or refuse.

Patak - North Exit
&

Abdul the Unbound - A dark forgotten room
:

&

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: East Exit

To Patak and Amerigo the dragon squinted then seemed satisfied. "You may go." The dragon gestured with a claw to the sorcerers. "They seem more likely to cause each other trouble, release them separately at opposite exits."

And so Patak was deposited at the northern exit and Amerigo at the Eastern one.

Looking at Abdul the dragon sighed. "You my friend talk too much and can prove nothing. You will spend the night as our guest as we parse through your very verbose, long and unprovable story. We see how you have tried to sink these other two almost purposefully and we would know why. We sense no evil from you but yet you seem to be a source of it." It turned to a phalanx of guards and mages. "Take our guest to his quarters. I must ruminate on it's bullshit."

The elf captain that had counciled the trio looked pissed. "There goes my loving weekend you damned alien garbage. Follow me." Abdul was led to a barren room, the guards removed the light and shut and locked the door. Sitting in the dark, Abdul heard footsteps walking away. It was quiet. Very quiet. Testing the door, Abdul found he could open it quite easily if he wanted. He could look around and see what this place was about. Maybe learn something before being seen again. A pile of bones in the corner let Abdul know he might end up waiting a long time to be seen again by the dragon.

Amerigo and Patak are free to go. Abdul is a guest waiting to be seen again or not by the dragon it is extremely long lived and Abdul may end up waiting a very long time. The door is flimsy though and easily opened by a golem. You can look around if you wish.

Silth - Host/Thomas -Bookshop

Silth navigated the sewers as best he could after cleaning up. His clothing was still torn but at least he didn't smell of garbage anymore. He surfaced into the market square in an alley behind the bookshop. Making his way around the front and into the store he was greeted by multiple stacks of books. A clerk could be heard in the back of the shop. There were few patrons this early in the light cycle.

At the bookstore!

Hakon - Orphanage

The children took his instructions well. Some might get damaged or lost but there were more thralls to be had. Hakon's net was cast.

Add one mortal quality: Minor Spy Ring [+2] This can be used sparingly to get basic information about a target or a tip to find something Hakon is looking for specifically. Within reason, they are children after all.

Riley Escape! Slave Processing

The man resurrected and screamed. Whole and healthy! The guards spun around and all eyes were focused on killing him again. The soft tone resurrected the man again. Screaming. Half the chaos orcs ran around in confusion while the other half butchered the man into pieces. The scene was chaotic enough that Riley was able to escape unnoticed. As she ran through the streets she came upon a run down looking building. On the outside read a sign: Mistress Greybeard's home for wayward children. A light was buring in a couple of windows.

Perhaps she could find help here.

Ksenija Ceranic - The Pink Bear Tavern

A giant pink dancing bear in a cage at the far corner of the tavern raged against it's magical enchantment. The smell of smoke, cheap booze, and unidentified sweat greeted Ksenija. It looked like a scene out of the movie Space Wars with all the different races sitting around drinking and gambling. A patron got up to leave, dropping his coinpurse right at your feet. The man got too close to the cage and suddenly found himself being mauled. After the commotion, both the bear and man were dead. The bodies were taken out back and the tavern went back to business.

You got coinpurse. Their bad luck is your good luck. Luckily the roll didn't see your divine use get too out of control

Emilio Ughi - The Golden Crane Inn

Stern took Emilio to a fine inn and got Emilio a bath, room, and comfortable clothing. Food was ordered and stern told Emilio what he knew.

You can look at all posts previous to this one and have society/world information not in spoilers.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jul 20, 2017

• Locked thread