Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

RedMagus posted:

I almost feel bad, but yea, glad we won't have to deal with that personality anymore. It always bothers me when a game has someone with that trait and no reason for people to put up with it as part of the group.

Onward to the story! Who locked the door? and why was there so much hot air? The answers to these questions and more await us!

Obviously, Hiyoko wandered in to the music venue and turned the heat up so she and Ibuki wouldn't be cold. Then she barred the door and tied herself to a pole to sleep, like she does every night. And of course earlier she spilled some pepto bismol on her kimono, but she couldn't clean it because she can't take it off without Mahiru.

Unless you think there was a murder or something like that. But why would anyone murder Hiyoko? She's so polite and unobtrusive, and certainly hasn't insulted each and every person on the island repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MegaZeroX posted:

So at this point I think I can share that, in development, Hiyoko was originally planned to be survive to be one of the "final students", but the developers ended up changing it. The reasons for this change are spoilers at this point, but thank god they changed it.

Hiyoko is the worst.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I get it's difficult to be the first person to raise the issue, but it really bothers me how no one calls out Hiyoko for the way she talks to Mikan, and to a lesser extent Souda and Akane. She's a little psychopath (look how she enjoys crushing crabs and killing ants) - and the games attempts to make her sympathetic like her embarrassment over being unable to tie her obi and the shrine falls flat because of her gross, brutal insults and lack of empathy for anyone else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think her bullying Mikan is supposed to be played for comedy. Except "Haha, the girl with self esteem issues is being called pig vomit!" isn't particularly funny.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Robindaybird posted:

I get it's difficult to be the first person to raise the issue, but it really bothers me how no one calls out Hiyoko for the way she talks to Mikan, and to a lesser extent Souda and Akane. She's a little psychopath (look how she enjoys crushing crabs and killing ants) - and the games attempts to make her sympathetic like her embarrassment over being unable to tie her obi and the shrine falls flat because of her gross, brutal insults and lack of empathy for anyone else.

I assumed that nobody calling her out on being a terrible human being is more of a cultural thing that doesn't seem right to western people, but may unfortunately seem normal to Japanese audiences.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I assumed that nobody calling her out on being a terrible human being is more of a cultural thing that doesn't seem right to western people, but may unfortunately seem normal to Japanese audiences.

Japan does have a huge issue of bullying, and a tendency to not socially want to stand out, but it's also a thing in the west - Bystander effect is a hell of a thing, but still it does leave a sour taste not even Maharu who puts herself out as the moral and most go-get 'em out of the lot says absolutely nothing to make Hiyoko stop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Japan does have a huge issue of bullying, and a tendency to not socially want to stand out, but it's also a thing in the west - Bystander effect is a hell of a thing, but still it does leave a sour taste not even Maharu who puts herself out as the moral and most go-get 'em out of the lot says absolutely nothing to make Hiyoko stop.

Well yeah, she wasn't a guy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I had managed somehow to overlook this thread up to now, but I am stoked to see it and read all of it up to this point in one go. Orenronen's thread back in the day was sweet, and this is too. I've played the game in the interim, so there are no surprises left, but reading about everyone coming in to the game blind and speculating is super enjoyable. We're very close to where the old thread left off, too.

As for Hiyoko... I don't really know why she doesn't get called out by the other characters. But I doubt her behavior would be considered socially acceptable in Japan either, if it really came down to it, but just like in many other cultures there's a tendency to mind your own business and not interfere even when something doesn't sit right with you. That's generally how people get away with bullying, and it's not exclusive to Japan.

For what it's worth, some of Hiyoko's free time scenes shed a little bit of light on why she acts like this - not that it changes how other people ought to react to her or anything, but at least it explains why she's such a little bitch. There's also way more game left to play.

Edit: Ah, is the deadpool not being updated anymore? I thought that looked fun.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 14, 2017

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I always thought it was partially that Hiyoko comes across mostly as a mean little child and then makes others uncomfortable if they try and call her out on it. She's awful but I can certainly see why people don't want to blow up on the girl who looks and acts like a 10 year old for the most part.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 14, 2017

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Edit: Ah, is the deadpool not being updated anymore? I thought that looked fun.

It was locked from any more guesses after the final free time in the first chapter, since when Byakuya started talking about the party, is was obvious that he was going to die, either from being killed or being the killer.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

BlazeEmblem posted:

It was locked from any more guesses after the final free time in the first chapter, since when Byakuya started talking about the party, is was obvious that he was going to die, either from being killed or being the killer.

I mean the current score. The second trial is concluded, but only the results from the first trial have been entered and there hasn't been any culprit guessing lately.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I've been meaning to get around to that but as it turns out the spreadsheet was actually locked on the cells where I'd need to make updates. I have editing privileges but can't get through those locked cells. And the spreadsheet owner, Jimmy4400nav sent me a PM at the beginning of the year saying he'd be away for some time in basic training and unable to access the forums or spreadsheet. Basically, I think I'm going to just copy everything to a new sheet I can fully edit so that I can keep it up to date because, yeah, I realized that hasn't been happening.

Also I'm glad to have you on board reading the LP, Hyper Crab Tank. (Man that's a good username and avatar)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Double post, but I've gone ahead and done exactly what I said I would. The No-Spoilers Betting Pool has been updated to reflect our current situation in the game. I went ahead and made a duplicate of the original spreadsheet and then modified parts of it to be more clear. You can also begin putting in guesses for who you think the killer is this time on the Killer Guesses tab.

And come to think of it, we're basically at the point where the No-Spoilers pool and the Spoilers pool converge so I don't really have to hide the link anymore. The Spoilers Betting Pool has also been updated in much the same way as the No-Spoilers one and now has a Current Progress tab for later use as well as a Killer Guesses tab to try and predict who did it. The links to both pools have been updated in the OP as well so you don't have to find this exact post any time you want to access them.

Anyway, that gets the contest back up to date. Now to probably turn my attention to recording Trial 3. As it so happens, from this point onwards, I'll only be seeing the game for the second time. I played it once back in August 2015 and then started the DR1 LP that September. I briefly touched DR2 again with a friend but we only got up to this part before we stopped and haven't resumed. So in a way, I'm going back into this semi-blind too, which is always fun because while I remember the big overarching plot and events, I don't remember much else. (I basically played from Chapter 3's trial all the way to the end of the game in one night because it gripped me so hard and well, when you finish the game at 6am, you don't tend to remember the finer points.)

So yeah, it's going to be a good time. I hope you're all looking forward to it.

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I always thought it was partially that Hiyoko comes across mostly as a mean little child and then makes others uncomfortable if they try and call her out on it. She's awful but I can certainly see why people don't want to blow up on the girl who looks and acts like a 10 year old for the most part.

This'd make more sense if she was actually 10.. she's like.. 17

She's just a mean, psychopathic girl with stunted growth.. no real excuse for how she acts, I really wish anyone would've called her out on it

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Figured there was going to be more to this as soon as they found out the door was locked. Pretty much everyone had a motive to off Hiyoko so this will be a difficult one.

It's almost too bad. She was showing some signs of character development--more than Ibuki's one dimension anyway--and aside from that there was a point I was actually wondering whether they'd keep her around forever just to troll the audience. Sometimes I kind of enjoy it when awful characters aren't created solely to be killed to satisfy our kneejerk revenge instincts.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

So my first thought is that it could be Nekomaru since he's been gone for a while and would have had time to make preparations. I'm not sure how he could have rigged the device to show the suicide(?) though.

Edit: Also, Mikan's been acting strange, even more so than usual recently. She did leave Hajime right before he received the transmission, and Nagito's face when we saw him in the morning made it seem like he was desperate and scared when he saw the two of us before telling us in liar speak not to leave. Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's", although I don't know what the opposite of that would mean. That Ibuki never existed at all?

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 14, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So my first thought is that it could be Nekomaru since he's been gone for a while and would have had time to make preparations. I'm not sure how he could have rigged the device to show the suicide(?) though.

It was already rigged up. All he would have had to do is transmit it and maybe adjust the camera.

My initial guess before we get to the investigation is that this is a one-two murder. That is, Hiyoko either caused or witnessed Ibuki's murder (since Ibuki had the gullible despair virus) and was then murdered herself. Considering the venue the suspect list is pretty much anyone not busy taking care of the patients (Fuyuhiko, Mikan and Naegi.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's", although I don't know what the opposite of that would mean. That Ibuki never existed at all?

He has "Liar's Disease", not "Opposites Disease".

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I wouldnt put it past the writers to make at least one of his wildly outlandish lies partially and even possibly mostly correct with a few details wrong.

I mean they did make the idiot savant fortune teller last game.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Edit: Also, Mikan's been acting strange, even more so than usual recently. She did leave Hajime right before he received the transmission, and Nagito's face when we saw him in the morning made it seem like he was desperate and scared when he saw the two of us before telling us in liar speak not to leave. Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's", although I don't know what the opposite of that would mean. That Ibuki never existed at all?

What I'm wondering about is if something suspicious was going on that time you found Ibuki out in the hall and sent her to bed.

I"m wondering why Hiyoko's killer would even make it so public though when she'd conveniently announced she was going to be isolating herself in her cabin so that no one would consider it unusual to not see her for days. I guess she might have been randomly wandering about in time to witness or be involved with Ibuki's death? but that's a stretch.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Speaking of Nagito, there was that weird bit with the "Two Ibuki's"

I am proceeding on the assumption that was a joke concerning another murder mystery videogame, but on the other hand, I've said that I suspect the broadcast was sent from inside the hospital, which would involve someone pretending to be Ibuki, so :shrug:

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Zoe posted:

What I'm wondering about is if something suspicious was going on that time you found Ibuki out in the hall and sent her to bed.

I"m wondering why Hiyoko's killer would even make it so public though when she'd conveniently announced she was going to be isolating herself in her cabin so that no one would consider it unusual to not see her for days. I guess she might have been randomly wandering about in time to witness or be involved with Ibuki's death? but that's a stretch.

Plot twist: In a final bid to make the character sympathetic, Hiyoko commits suicide after coming to regret her decision to kill Ibuki. Two corpses, one killer.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The temperature, too. Is that meant to confuse the time of death?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just realized that I'd locked down both betting pools despite opening up the sheets to killer guesses. It should now be set up so that you can edit the Killer Guesses sheet and put in your trial 3 predictions if anyone cares to do that sort of thing.

No-Spoilers Pool
Spoilers Pool

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Yeah that made me think it was the nurse girl. I'm not sure anyone else would have been in position to lock the door after protagonist left there and went to the hotel, and she's probably the only one who would have thought of temperature being useful in determining time of death.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Bear in mind - most of Nagito's lies are actually references to the plot of the first game, like "The character isn't dead, it was their twin!" and "There is a secret 17th student on this island!"

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Zoe posted:

I assume it's because they can't actually leave the island without winning the class trial. I would guess they killed Hiyoko shortly after she quarantined herself, then waited a while and set up the fake Ibuki suicide (or actually convinced her to kill herself) and then used the heat trick to confuse the timeline of Hiyoko's death to throw off the trail. This theory might get thrown off by the Monokuma file, although if I recall correctly it does just say the time of death and not the date. As for the Ibuki thing, the killer could have just told her to go gently caress off somewhere and in her state she would. Then the investigation would be focused on a double murder/ people would cast blame on Hajime because he ran off to find them and bring them to the scene. Then everything will be back to square one when Ibuki suddenly shows up alive for the class trial.

Also, Ibuki wandering around last night could have been her returning to bed after filming the transmission that Hajime saw. The killer could have told her to play along with it, and set up that one conference room to look like the music venue. Then in the morning she's told to disappear, the killer rigs up a fake body, draws Hajime to the scene, and then moves Hiyoko's body to the venue.

I eagerly await all of this to be proven very wrong in the next update.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 15, 2017

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

Yeah that made me think it was the nurse girl. I'm not sure anyone else would have been in position to lock the door after protagonist left there and went to the hotel, and she's probably the only one who would have thought of temperature being useful in determining time of death.

Insertnamehere31 posted:

I assume it's because they can't actually leave the island without winning the class trial. I would guess they killed Hiyoko shortly after she quarantined herself, then waited a while and set up the fake Ibuki suicide (or actually convinced her to kill herself) and then used the heat trick to confuse the timeline of Hiyoko's death to throw off the trail. This theory might get thrown off by the Monokuma file, although if I recall correctly it does just say the time of death and not the date. As for the Ibuki thing, the killer could have just told her to go gently caress off somewhere and in her state she would. Then the investigation would be focused on a double murder, and everything will be back to square one when Ibuki suddenly shows up alive for the class trial.

It's entirely possible that the temperature difference is actually a mistake. Like the killer hid something in a vent without really thinking it through and that just messed with the ventilation, or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Happy birthday, Akane. :yotj:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Buried alive posted:

It's entirely possible that the temperature difference is actually a mistake. Like the killer hid something in a vent without really thinking it through and that just messed with the ventilation, or something.

Well my mind jumps to something really obvious there, but I'd have to go back and see whether vents are even an examinable object and how big they are if so.

With access to Ibuki, plenty of reason to hate Hiyoko, and repressed enough I could easily believe in her snapping completely, Mikan does seem like the obvious suspect here. But this is mystery fiction so all that guarantees is that she's the most likely to be innocent instead.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 15, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong dong ding*

: A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!

*Ding dong dong ding*

: A body has been discovered! Now then, after a certain amount of time has passed, the class trial will begin!

Two body discovery announcements in a row... That means...

The hanged body with the hemp bad on its head...

Hiyoko's suspended body...

Both of these bodies...have been discovered at the same time.

: Wh-What...what is thiiiiis!?
: H-Hiyoko and...! Who the hell is that other one wearing the hemp bag!?
: Could it be...two victims?
: B-But...when I was here earlier, I didn't see Hiyoko's body... I only saw that hanged body over there...! N-Not even ten minutes passed! But still, why...?

: Kyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
: Wh-What is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssss!?
: Impossible, impossible, impossible, impossible... It's impossible for killings to happen on this island...
: Shut up, idiot!

: For now...we should lower that person wearing the hemp bag to the ground. Leaving it like that...is just too sad.
: Y-Y-Yessssssssss...!
: Ah, but...what about preserving the scene of the crime?
: ...Who loving cares about that!?

: Th-There's a control panel for the baton lighting on the wing of the stage...you can lower the body with that...
: ...That one!

Fuyuhiko ran over to the wing of the stage and pressed a button on the control panel.

*Rooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrr...*

With a motorized sound like the growl of a starving beast, the baton lighting slowly descended. When it descended enough for us to reach it, we all worked together to lower the body...

: Now...I'm going to take off the hemp bag, okay?

: ...Ugh!

Even though I expected it...I still didn't want to confront that reality. Under the hemp bag, there was no denying that the face I saw belonged to...Ibuki.

: D...Dammiiiiit!
: U-Ughhh...it's all my fault... If only i did a better job...watching over Ibuki...
: Y-You're wrong...it's not your fault, Mikan... No matter how we feel, the one at fault is...

: Jeez! It feels like someone died in here or something.
: So you finally showed up! The root of all evil!
: How dare you call your brother the root of all evil! I even went to the trouble of bringing everyone for you!

Bringing...everyone...?

: AH...AHHHHHHHH...! Wh-What the hell is going on here!?
: I-Ibuki...and Hiyoko!?
: Tch... So two people have been killed...!
: Whoa there... That's not all. I've also summoned the others who were at the hospital.
: The others...

: Looks like another serious incident occurred while I was unaware.
: I-I can't believe...they did such a horrible thing...!
: Nagito, Akane...are you okay!?
: Huh? Of course.
: What do you mean, "of course"!?

: Are you talking about the Despair Disease? Jeez, you guys. That stuff is totally over now.
: O-Over...!?
: Yeah, cuz I got bored.
: For that silly reason!?

: And now that the killing has started, there's no need to keep that motive around anymore. Yeahhhh...that Despair Disease is gone now, so you don't have to worry about it anymore.
: Wh-What the heck...? That's impossible...! How can you spread a disease and cure it so easily...?
: Aw, who cares about the itty-bitty details? What matters is that it's already been cured.
: Sooooo let's go back to our main topic and proceed as usual!

: The Monokuma File!
: Puhuhu, I'll be waiting at the class trial. Do your best to investigate. *leaves*

: A-Again...? We...have to do this again...
: We have no choice. Like last time...if this means one of us killed these two...
: Then...we cannot let this be.
: Uh...gh...wh-why do we...have to do...this...!

: Thinking like that won't do anything. We have to do this...
: If we don't do anything, we'll all be executed...!
: Ughh...ugh...
: Abandon your overdependence and complaints this instant... Those have no place in this world.
: B-But...what about Nekomaru? What's going to happen to him? Is he not going to participate this time? Is that even allowed?

: N-Nekomaru...
: ...Huh? That's strange...I'm cryin'... What happened to me?
: Looks like...lingering aftereffects of the Despair Disease. It's nothing for you to worry about.
: Are you okay?
: Fortunately, it seems like I have nothing to worry about.
: Since you had the Liar Disease, your aftereffects could be lies...maybe?

: Please leave Nekomaru to me! Everyone must focus on investigating, so I must do my very best!
: All righty! I will definitely bring back Nekomaru and win everyone's trust! *leaves*
: It seems we should leave Nekomaru to Monomi.
: What about guarding this area? Do we still need it?

: I'll stay... I still...don't feel good yet...
: Um...it's better if I stay here too, right? I should perform the autopsy again, right?
: ...Then I'll leave that to you.
: Then let's get started. So we...can end this nightmare for good.

That's right...we need to end this... We need to finish this...once and for all. I know there's no way we can believe that one of us did this...

But for those two's sake, we need to find the truth! And then, we need to end this nightmare once and for all!

: Like...I've been putting up with this for a while...
: But why is it so drat hot in here!? I hate being hot!

It's because your clothes are so smothering...

: Guaahhhhh, I seriously can't stand it! I'll let you guys investigate this place! *leaves*

And so, Kazuichi left the music venue under a cloud of grumbling complaints. But...it really is hot. In fact, it's swelteringly hot. Why is it *this* hot?

: No...before that, I need to check the Monokuma File first.

CAUSE OF DEATH

-There are two victims this time: Ibuki Mioda and Hiyoko Saionji.

-Ibuki Mioda's cause of death was a crushed windpipe as a result of choking. There are no other external injuries.

-Hiyoko Saionji's cause of death was blood loss due to her throat being slit by a sharp-edged tool... It appears her death was instant.

What the...? Is this it...? I already knew the cause of death from the beginning, so this isn't going to be a useful clue...

: ...It's strange... Why did the killer kill two people?
: Huh?
: I mean...the more people you kill, the more clues you'll leave, right?
: So...I don't think it's really necessary to kill two people and take that kind of risk.
: I agree with that...

: Or...was there a reason that they *had* to kill two people?
: A reason for killing two people?
: Regardless, something like this shouldn't be forgiven...so...
: I will definitely find the truth behind this case...
: ...That's what I can think.

Seriously...I'd really prefer if she had a more confident-sounding catchphrase.

: Two murders at once? This sucks... :( But we have to investigate so let's begin by checking out the stage.

: The stage itself has a huge number of things to examine. So many, in fact, that we won't get to them all in this update. But let's start by figuring out why the heck it's so hot in here.

: This looks like the music venue's A/C unit.

That's right...you might be able to adjust the hot air in the music venue with this... All right, I should mess around with it a little...like so...

: ...It's running as a heater! Over 86 degrees Fahrenheit!

Now I know why it's so drat hot...!

: I better turn off the heater for now. That should cool things off a little.

: I wonder if the temperature was in Celsius in the Japanese version. I assume so.

: Let's see what Chiaki has to say.

: ...

With her arms crossed and a thoughtful look on her face, Chiaki was silently staring at the stage floor.

: ...Did something drop on the floor there?
: Nothing dropped...it's just dirty.
: ...Dirty?
: See? Take a cloooose look at the floor.

: If you look closely...
: You're right...there's a smudge as if something was wiped off... Wait...this isn't "something"...
: ...Is this a bloodstain!?

: Well, a bloodstain isn't strange. Hiyoko's neck was slashed not far from here...
: Rather, what's strange is...why did the killer try to hide it?
: ...Hide it?
: If they weren't trying to hide it...they wouldn't have bothered wiping it off.

The reason the killer wiped off the bloodstain... As long as the body is nearby, there's no way they'd be able to conceal the crime by wiping off a bloodstain... So...what was the killer trying to hide?

The stepladder is tipped over on its side...

This must be the stepladder that Ibuki used in the video I saw.

: Ah...isn't that a bloodstain?

: Look, there's blood around the left side of the stepladder.
: As I recall, Ibuki didn't have any external injuries. If that's the case...
: ...Then it must be Hiyoko's blood.
: That's the only thing I can think of.

A bloodstain that probably belongs to Hiyoko is on the left side of the stepladder... What does it mean...?

There's a massive candle positioned near the front of the stage.

The dull light in that video must've been coming from this candle. A candle this huge might be perfect for lighting but...they didn't need to bother using a candle. They could've just used the normal stage lighting...

: This looks...familiar.

Ibuki had a hemp bag on her head and was hanging from the ceiling... But...why did she have a hemp bag on her head?

: ...Wait, huh?

That hemp bag... Upon further inspection, there's a Monomi decal on the fabric. It looks like...this isn't just a normal bag.

It's the rope that was tied to the baton lighting on the ceiling... Ibuki hanged herself with this rope and died.

: From what I can tell...it looks like a regular length of rope with no unnatural features. But despite the fact this music venue has a storage room, there shouldn't have been any rope in there. Which means...was it obtained from the supermarket? Did the killer bring it from there?
: That means anybody could've obtained this rope, and it means it'd be difficult to use this as a clue.
: ...I wonder if that's true.
: ...Huh?
: Oh, I just noticed a little something. Is it okay if I confirm it?
: Excuse me, Mikan! Do you have a moment?

: U-Um...what's happened?
: There's something I want to ask you... There's no doubt Ibuki's cause of death was being hanged by this rope, right?
: Y-Yes...she had no other external injuries, so there's no doubt she died from hanging herself.
: I see, I see... So Ibuki died by hanging herself.
: That...was obvious the moment we discovered the body. You might not have seen it, but we all saw that she hanged herself.
: You're right! Yep, I got it! So this rope won't be much of a clue. ...Then I might as well search another place.

Jeez... As usual, I have no idea what he's up to...

There's a black curtain hanging at the far side of the stage... This curtain... It's not wide enough... It can't reach from one edge of the stage to the other.

: ...It's not really a full-length curtain.
: This curtain wasn't originally here, right? If it was, it's strange that it doesn't fit properly.
: It was probably obtained from the furniture section of the supermarket.

: See, the back of the curtain is taped for temporary use, just like the curtain at the supermarket.
: It's hard to see at this picture resolution but the tag does say "Rocketpunch".
: So you're saying someone took the time to actually bring that curtain from the supermarket?
: If they went that far...this was probably something that the killer really needed for this crime.
: Why did they need it?
: ...Who knows?

Well...it wouldn't be a mystery if the answers came easy.

: We'll finish the update by examining Ibuki's body for clues.

Ibuki's body lay atop the stage. She's wearing the hospital gown she was wearing when she was sick...

: ...Hm?

: What's this on Ibuki's feet?

I didn't notice when she was hanging, but the soles of her feet are dirty...

: It's...blood, right?

But there shouldn't be any external injuries on Ibuki. If that's the case... This blood...belongs to someone else.

: Hey Hajime...can I talk to you for a sec? You already discovered the body before you met up with us, right?
: Yeah... At first, I didn't know it was Ibuki because of that hemp bag, though...

: But I knew right away she was dead since she was hanging from that rope...

: Which means Ibuki must've died before Hiyoko was tied up...
: That helps... There's no time of death written in the Monokuma File this time... So I went really sure who died first. *leaves*

It's true, their estimated time of death wasn't written in the Monokuma File this time... But I should know when Ibuki died because...I personally saw it.

In that video, Ibuki was climbing the stepladder on her own, so right after that...

Wait...hold on. If Ibuki climbed that stepladder and died right after...

: Does...that mean she committed suicide?

...No, that's impossible. Because...even if Ibuki committed suicide, it doesn't explain Hiyoko's death afterward.

: ...

Two different deaths happened at the same time... There's no way that's a coincidence.

: Next time, we keep examining the music venue.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh duh. Gullible virus. Why tell them to do one thing when you could tell them to do two?

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 16, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Well if there was any doubt the initial broadcast was staged the lack of blood everywhere removes it. Especially since ibuki had blood on her shoes and thus had to have died 2nd. Fuyuhiko is being a tad dense here, not that that's particularly new for him.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Oh duh. Gullible virus. Why tell them to do one thing when you could tell them to do two?

Oh! That would be an excellent way to confuse things wouldn't it? Get her to kill someone else, than make her kill herself. Most of the cast would probably have a difficult time thinking of that as a possibility.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ibuki didn't deserve this. :smith:

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ibuki didn't deserve this. :smith:

:smith: :hf: :smith:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

: I wonder if the temperature was in Celsius in the Japanese version. I assume so.

Yep. 30 degrees to be specific.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I noticed a significant difference in this game compared to orenronen's translation. I guess it will be important.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Man I've read a full LP of this and I know who did it and these clues still confuse the gently caress out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
That curtain is probably from the hospital. Maybe somebody used it to move a body from the hospital to the concert hall. Nobody's turned the curtain around, except for the corner.

• Locked thread