Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

As much as I'm enjoying the show the hell stuff is the most interesting. I thought Eugene being sent to hell was just a way to get rid of the character so he wouldn't be killed by the explosion. I wonder if he will run into his daddy down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

mallratcal posted:

I wonder if he will run into his daddy down there.

That would be a lot more interesting if Sheriff Root was the paranoid racist hardass ("Martian niggers!") he was in the comics rather than the well-meaning but ineffectual guy we got on the show.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
.....Did they just make me feel a little bad for Hitler?

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I think the only big loss I can see in his they're portraying hell is that it limits how well they can show the Saint's backstory from the mini-series if they ever decide to explore that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They already did that in huge detail though?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Data Graham posted:

They already did that in huge detail though?

They showed his back story while he was alive. In the comics (not spoiling because it doesn't look like there's any way they're going this direction), he becomes the "Saint of Killers" when the desire for revenge is so deep that it freezes the fires of hell. Fire and brimstone horned Satan and the Angel of Death are hanging out, the Angel of Death talks about how he wants to quit his job. Long story short, he offers his job to the Saint and allows him to return to Earth to get his Vengeance, then he takes the Angel of Death's place collecting souls.

Beginning of the comic the angels bring back his "physical" form to go after Jesse.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Supreme Allah posted:

They showed Hell in a lot more detail in the Saint of Killers mini-series, yeah it was all traditional fire-and-brimstone. I don't think that would work for this type of show, I like their version.

This is the second best rendition of hell currently on TV.

First being Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell on Adult Swim.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Medullah posted:

They showed his back story while he was alive. In the comics (not spoiling because it doesn't look like there's any way they're going this direction), he becomes the "Saint of Killers" when the desire for revenge is so deep that it freezes the fires of hell. Fire and brimstone horned Satan and the Angel of Death are hanging out, the Angel of Death talks about how he wants to quit his job. Long story short, he offers his job to the Saint and allows him to return to Earth to get his Vengeance, then he takes the Angel of Death's place collecting souls.

Beginning of the comic the angels bring back his "physical" form to go after Jesse.

Haha, right. One of my favorite bits was Satan's expression on THE loving FIRES ARE OUT

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Dave Syndrome posted:

That would be a lot more interesting if Sheriff Root was the paranoid racist hardass ("Martian niggers!") he was in the comics rather than the well-meaning but ineffectual guy we got on the show.

That's one part where the show dropped the ball. Root should have been the vile piece of poo poo he was in the comics.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I think the only big loss I can see in his they're portraying hell is that it limits how well they can show the Saint's backstory from the mini-series if they ever decide to explore that.

Not it doesn't. They could just put the Saint into a room that shows a flashback of that day, over and over. And then he goes nuts and freezes hell over.

They'd have to like CG the demons and stuff but they could do it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

counterfeitsaint posted:

The fact the hell's punishments are basically the same in Preacher and Lucifer brings us that much closer to the crossover of my dreams.

Jesse and Tulip team up with Lucifer and Maze when :f5:

Bonus scene where Cassidy gives Amenadiel the Fiore treatment :buddy:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Gordong Dongbay posted:

This is the second best rendition of hell currently on TV.

First being Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell on Adult Swim.

No way, best one is The Good Place.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

I've always thought the way Hell was portrayed in the Bill & Ted sequel was really cool, and this is basically like that, down to the gray hallways!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Krowley posted:

I've always thought the way Hell was portrayed in the Bill & Ted sequel was really cool, and this is basically like that, down to the gray hallways!

Please let Eugene scream,"CHOOSE YOUR OWN YOU FAG!" at Satan at some point this season :pray:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Krowley posted:

"Best of 7?"
"YOU'RE GOD DAMNED RIGHT"

Love that movie so much.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is Arseface a villain in the comics? Seems like they might be setting him up for it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not really. He's got a vendetta for Jesse for about 10 minutes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Invalid Validation posted:

Is Arseface a villain in the comics? Seems like they might be setting him up for it.

Really for all the build up he gets early on he barely makes an appearance in the comics. IIRC after his father dies he blames Jesse and swears revenge but nothing really comes of it and then he joins a band for a while, retires and settles down with a woman who only has one eye.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That comic seems schizophrenic. I'm sure it's fine but the show seems like what it wanted to be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A problem with the comic is that it was clear that Garth Ennis didn't really have an overarching plan for the series so it would just meander around doing story arcs that don't really build off each other that much. So it mainly becomes a series of vignettes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Really for all the build up he gets early on he barely makes an appearance in the comics. IIRC after his father dies he blames Jesse and swears revenge but nothing really comes of it and then he joins a band for a while, retires and settles down with a woman who only has one eye.

I really dug the scene in the comic where he confronts Jesse and they're doing the typical "let's laugh at the guy with an rear end in a top hat for a face" thing and then he begins sobbing about how Jesse killed his dad, and they all realize that this is a loving person with thoughts and feelings and not just a comedy prop joke, and that they're huge assholes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm enjoying the hell out of the show, but I don't get the reverence for the comic. I've never read it, but every time someone talks about the differences or just the comic in general, it sounds incredibly dumb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was a fun comic, I didn't think it would translate all that well into a TV show though but I love how they've adapted the spirit of the story and then run with entirely their own thing, just using the comic as a guideline rather than a slavish 1:1 recreation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm enjoying the hell out of the show, but I don't get the reverence for the comic. I've never read it, but every time someone talks about the differences or just the comic in general, it sounds incredibly dumb.

Just sayin, but maaaaybe if you read it you might get it?

Jerusalem posted:

It was a fun comic, I didn't think it would translate all that well into a TV show though but I love how they've adapted the spirit of the story and then run with entirely their own thing, just using the comic as a guideline rather than a slavish 1:1 recreation.

That's half the fun of the show though; that the comic was considered unfilmable and seeing how they adapt it. What stays the same and what they change, and how they change it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

Plus a lot of it was a product of its time like iirc Eugene in the comics shot himself because of his friend and Kurt Cobain committing suicide

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Yeah, and the show nods to stuff like that with Arseface having a Nirvana smiley face sticker in his locker.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I really dug the scene in the comic where he confronts Jesse and they're doing the typical "let's laugh at the guy with an rear end in a top hat for a face" thing and then he begins sobbing about how Jesse killed his dad, and they all realize that this is a loving person with thoughts and feelings and not just a comedy prop joke, and that they're huge assholes.
And then Ennis uses him as a comedy prop joke for the rest of the series.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was very much of it's time, and a lot better than most of the Marvel/DC stuff being released back then.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

It's a fun ride, but not perfect, and some things need to be viewed with the time in mind - Arseface being changed does not bother me, because his whole deal in the comics is tied with current events and his whole arc is about fame and how we exploit those we propel into fame. It was cool, but would be weird in the television series.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It also always felt super weird when he started talking all erudite like when he went off on his vigilante superhero/villain spree ("thereby hangs a tale"). Like he became a whole different person post-shotgun. He was just some depressed teenager beforehand.

Know what it reminded me of (or really what reminded me of it): Anakin -> Darth Vader

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Data Graham posted:

It also always felt super weird when he started talking all erudite like when he went off on his vigilante superhero/villain spree ("thereby hangs a tale"). Like he became a whole different person post-shotgun. He was just some depressed teenager beforehand.

Know what it reminded me of (or really what reminded me of it): Anakin -> Darth Vader

I didn't even remember it until you mentioned it, but it was a really weak moment in the comic. I would say the show could do the whole "you killed my Dad, you're the villain of my story - and you ruined my life with an off hand comment, ruined my life again" thing better but now it won't match up.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Essentially his arc goes depressed kid > sweetheart trying to make the most of his new 'circumstances' > briefly trying to be dime store Batman > 15 minute pop sensation > ripped off by his manager and bankrupt > finds true love and happiness in the shithole Odin ran before Jesse arrived. He was very much a minor, recurring background character though as the series was focused all around the interactions of Jesse, Cass, Tulip, the Saint, and Starr.

They're clearly going off on their own thing and keeping him around but it might have just been better to blow him up with the rest of the folks of Annville.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Capn Beeb posted:

Bonus scene where Cassidy gives Amenadiel the Fiore treatment :buddy:

homoerotic drug binges?

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

After watching the other show, I've realized there are two things I really like about Preacher.

First is that it's the real world where everything is two notches more hosed up than reality, and second is that the most efficient way to send an actor to heaven is to shoot him in the chest.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I haven’t really liked this season. The gore has been too over the top and while I’m a fan of killing, I don’t care for senseless killing. Like how everyone they meet on this road trip seems to die.

And then the Uptown Girl fight scene happened and everything was right again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Krispy Kareem posted:

I haven’t really liked this season. The gore has been too over the top and while I’m a fan of killing, I don’t care for senseless killing. Like how everyone they meet on this road trip seems to die.

Hey, the gas station attendant only lost his tongue!

...and his cat. >.>

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

"While I'm a fan of killing..." :goonsay:

Its the Saint of Killers. It... needs to be that way? That's his whole character.

Krispy Kareem posted:

And then the Uptown Girl fight scene happened and everything was right again.

At least you're not completely lost :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

"While I'm a fan of killing..." :goonsay:

Its the Saint of Killers. It... needs to be that way? That's his whole character.

At least you're not completely lost :)

I’m just not a fan of “road trip where everyone we meet dies”. The first season took a while to ramp up to this level of destruction and I’m not sure if the show can keep up this kind of pace.

This last episode was nice in that not everyone who crossed paths with Jessie, Tulip, or Cassidy died. It says something when the episode with Hitler is one of the more positive ones.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

I’m just not a fan of “road trip where everyone we meet dies”. The first season took a while to ramp up to this level of destruction and I’m not sure if the show can keep up this kind of pace.

This last episode was nice in that not everyone who crossed paths with Jessie, Tulip, or Cassidy died. It says something when the episode with Hitler is one of the more positive ones.

That's a very specific thing to not be a fan of!

Why can it not keep up the pace? What is the problem with people dying if the show moves locals often? Even if they stayed alive, if you move, those characters aren't getting much screentime.

Like they may as well kill them off, right? It costs nothing. It changes nothing.

Why is that nice? I dunno if this is the show for you friend.

Krispy Kareem posted:

while I’m a fan of killing

You're a weird one, Krispy Kareem.

I'm a fan of killing, but I like the happy episodes where nobody dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

What is the problem with people dying if the show moves locals often? Even if they stayed alive, if you move, those characters aren't getting much screentime.

Like they may as well kill them off, right? It costs nothing. It changes nothing.
The fact that it changes nothing would be why it's a problem; it's a waste of time if nothing else. If it serves some purpose - like if someone is deliberately killing everyone that this person interacts with and that's going to lead to something later - that's fine. But if it's just "we're done with this character, may as well kill them" then why bother?

• Locked thread