Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

226 posted:

On the Japanese Nintendo site Splatoon 2 is listed as having 1 player in TV, Tabletop, and Handheld mode.
Arms is listed as having 1-4 players in TV and Tabletop mode, and 1 player in Handheld mode.

Until there's some confirmation either way, I'm just gonna assume no splitscreen.

Ugh, that sucks.

Oh well, my friends already have Switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Upcoming Splatfest Schedules :siren:
  • US/OC Cakes vs Ice Cream @ July 15th 15:00 PT - 19:00 PT / July 16th 8:00 AEST - 12:00 AEST
  • EU Cakes vs Ice Cream @ July 15th 17:00 GMT - 21:00 GMT
  • JP Rock vs Pop @ July 15th 17:00 JST - 21:00 JST
Since this is basically a test fire, the festivities will last for a shorter period than in previous happenings. So make due. Following tradition, the results should appear a hour later.

Due to the regional nature of the Splatfests, you can't join the other fests and vice versa unless with another account in that region I guess.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 14, 2017

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I'm undecided on squid girl or octopus girl, but I know the right answer to the question.

:rock: ROCK :rock:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Since the Switch isn't region locked, you can technically create a JP and EU profile, download their Splatfest Demo, and then play it.

It's a nice option if you happen to be busy during your region's Splatfest.

Nov 24, 2014

Thanks!

Edit: I'm an idiot.

226 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 14, 2017

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Rexroom posted:

:siren: Upcoming Splatfest Schedules :siren:
  • US Cakes vs Ice Cream @ July 15th 15:00 PT - 19:00 PT
  • EU/OC Cakes vs Ice Cream @ July 15th 17:00 GMT - 21:00 GMT / July 16th 8:00 AEST - 12:00 AEST
  • JP Rock vs Pop @ July 15th 17:00 JST - 21:00 JST
Since this is basically a test fire, the festivities will last for a shorter period than in previous happenings. So make due. Following tradition, the results should appear a hour later.

Due to the regional nature of the Splatfests, you can't join the other fests and vice versa unless with another account in that region I guess.

Just a minor correction: OC (Australia/New Zealand) are participating in the US splatfest, not EU. We were always put together with the Europeans in Splatoon 1, but it seems they've made an exception for this splatfest because our daylight hours don't correspond with GMT very well.

See you on the battlefield, yanks. We'll try not to lag your splatfest too much. :australia:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

200ms ping rip splatfest

Nov 24, 2014

Edit: I'm an idiot × 2.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like this thread is gonna get horney about video games and that's not good

Jokes on you, I've already bought all 5 of his books

Admittedly because he's p fuckin' good at backgrounds and worldbuilding, but the titties help.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Owers posted:

Just a minor correction: OC (Australia/New Zealand) are participating in the US splatfest, not EU. We were always put together with the Europeans in Splatoon 1, but it seems they've made an exception for this splatfest because our daylight hours don't correspond with GMT very well.

See you on the battlefield, yanks. We'll try not to lag your splatfest too much. :australia:

Well, drat. I wonder if this is a one-off or a major shift. We'll have to wait and see.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I tried drawing at the mailbox, but I had to erase it because there was a game patch and you can't upload a drawing from an unpatched game, so there's a couple hours' work gone. Some of the drawings I see are really similar to official or existing art, are people using some kind of program to print these things? One was a greyscale version of the Pearl/Marina reveal art

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

bandaid.friend posted:

I tried drawing at the mailbox, but I had to erase it because there was a game patch and you can't upload a drawing from an unpatched game, so there's a couple hours' work gone. Some of the drawings I see are really similar to official or existing art, are people using some kind of program to print these things? One was a greyscale version of the Pearl/Marina reveal art

Time and patience, basically.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

bandaid.friend posted:

It's meticulous, but the game gives you pixel-perfect control with the d-pad. It could be that some folks are generating a b&w image in photoshop or some other program, putting a grid over it for reference, and using that to slowly punch in each pixel rather than drawing.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Zelder posted:

Marshmallows suck. They ruin Smores. I don't care who I anger with that, the truth deserves to be free

What the gently caress

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
You can use the touch screen to draw, so anyone with a stylus that works on a capacitive screen could most likely use one on the Switch.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Any word on amiibo dlc outfits like splatoon 1 had?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Zeruel posted:

Any word on amiibo dlc outfits like splatoon 1 had?

It'll have similarly themed amiibo outfits like in Splatoon 1. Well almost: The samurai outfit has been replaced by a ninja uniform, and the power armor looks like it escaped from Battlestar Galactica. The school uniform will be still there, at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

It'll have similarly themed amiibo outfits like in Splatoon 1. Well almost: The samurai outfit has been replaced by a ninja uniform, and the power armor looks like it escaped from Battlestar Galactica. The school uniform will be still there, at least.

What do the original splatoon amiibo unlock exactly? Is it the outfits from the first game, or just the same respective outfit their respective new version does?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I actually prefer cake, but not enough to side with the gremlin, Pearl.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm flying to the UK this evening, I'll be playing football most of tomorrow but I may have a bit of time between 5 and 8pm for some Splatting (if the hotel wifi is not terrible).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What do the original splatoon amiibo unlock exactly? Is it the outfits from the first game, or just the same respective outfit their respective new version does?

I don't know. We'll find out in a week's time anyway!

In other news, Nintendo of Europe published details about the incoming Splatfest. These might or might not apply to the other regional Splatfests.

Map Rotation
  • 17:00 – 19:00 GMT Starfish Mainstage + Inkblot Art Academy
  • 19:00 – 21:00 GMT Moray Towers + Humpback Pump Track
Weapon sets
  • Tentatek Splattershot w/ Splatbomb & Inkjet
  • Splat Roller w/ Curling Bomb & Splashdown
  • Splat Charger w/ Splat Bomb & Sting Ray
  • Splat Dualies w/ Burst Bomb & Tenta Missiles

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think people are going to treat it a lot more seriously this time around, now that monsters who voted for Marie know that there's actual in-universe consequences for their thoughtless actions

Callie is coming back for you monsters.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Want my squid to wear a gas mask + school outfit & wield a minigun covered in glitter like in the first game

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The gas mask, like the boonie hat, is decidedly unfresh and should not be worn. I will not be seen with gas masks or boonies they can go hang out in the alley with the other trash

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Boonie Hat was for unfresh tryhards in Splat 1

Amiibo armor was also a sign of a stale goober

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

WarpedNaba posted:

Jokes on you, I've already bought all 5 of his books

Admittedly because he's p fuckin' good at backgrounds and worldbuilding, but the titties help.

Books? Worldbuilding?

Is this a famous (in indie circles) guy?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So with how the gear system works now, you can effectively make any piece of equipment as good as any other one, right? because i'd rather just look good than be optimal, but if i can do both, thats even better

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Kelp Plankton posted:

So with how the gear system works now, you can effectively make any piece of equipment as good as any other one, right? because i'd rather just look good than be optimal, but if i can do both, thats even better

Basically yeah. You can even get gears with a random main ability through SplatNet. All it takes to have blindingly fresh gear is time, sweat and tears. And Super Sea Shells.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

chaleski posted:

What the gently caress

Oh, yeah, that's the stuff. Time to saddle up for the best part of the Splatoon thread. Splatfest shade throwing.

Ice cream is an inferior dessert because it causes ice cream headaches. It also melts. It's reliance on temperature is it's downfall.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait there are people that don't roast hot dogs

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I mean marshmallow is the way to go, but roasted hot dogs own????

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Roasted hot dogs are the main course and roasted marshmallows are the dessert, the entire question is a false dilemma.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Supercar Gautier posted:

Roasted hot dogs are the main course and roasted marshmallows are the dessert, the entire question is a false dilemma.

Nah, this is one of those "what would you bring with you to a desert island" questions. You gotta pick one or the other, and live with it. That is the terrible curse of the splatfest.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

Nah, this is one of those "what would you bring with you to a desert island" questions. You gotta pick one or the other, and live with it. That is the terrible curse of the splatfest.

if it was a desert island, I'd have to go with marshmallows because they'd stay good longer

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Ice cream is bad because if you eat it too slow it melts but if you eat it too fast you get a headache. You can eat cake at any speed.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
nintendo should do lean vs xans for lore reasons, tbh

NormenKD
Jul 14, 2013
I asked this a while ago in the Switch thread, but i'll try again here:
Do you know any Writeups/Videos of the Splatoon 1 Story? I ain't gonna buy a Wii U.

Last time i asked i got "Octarians are bad" and the OP doesn't give much more.
Surely there is more to know, considering how invested everyone is in the Squid Sisters...

or is everyone in here delusional and the game is gonna be hollow an charmless after all?
:negative:

jk, very excited for this game

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ore junk to collect

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/885884655974666240

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

NormenKD posted:

I asked this a while ago in the Switch thread, but i'll try again here:
Do you know any Writeups/Videos of the Splatoon 1 Story? I ain't gonna buy a Wii U.

Last time i asked i got "Octarians are bad" and the OP doesn't give much more.
Surely there is more to know, considering how invested everyone is in the Squid Sisters...

or is everyone in here delusional and the game is gonna be hollow an charmless after all?
:negative:

jk, very excited for this game

If you want something to watch, here's a playthrough without commentary I just pulled up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrD_jsmRpFE
It even shows the Sunken Scrolls which have a bunch of backstory stuff and where a solid chunk of the charm comes from.

If you want something to read, here's a very barebones overview:
Cap'n Cuttlefish is a veteran from a war quite a while back where Inklings and Octarians fought against each other. The Octarians lost, eventually. A little before the start of Splatoon 1 the Great Zapfish, the source of power for Inkopolis, had gone missing and Cap'n Cuttlefish knows it was the Octarians while everyone else doesn't believe him. At the start you're dubbed Agent 3 and basically told not to worry about Agents 1 and 2. Over the course of the campaign you get threats from the big bad who eventually reveals himself to be DJ Octavio, as well as hear little tidbits from Agents 1 and 2. Around the last chapter Cap'n Cuttlefish disappears and Agents 1 and 2 step in. By the last boss fight it's revealed they're Callie and Marie (though you've almost certainly figured out it's them before that) and you rescue Cap'n Cuttlefish, imprisoning DJ Octavio.

It's a pretty simple story, but the stuff that makes it really good isn't apparent in a quick overview like that. The levels are fun to play, the boss fights are interesting and unique, there's a good chunk of lore to be found in the Sunken Scrolls if you want, and the writing is charming. I definitely recommend watching a playthrough, even if it's not the one I linked above.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Overbite posted:

Ice cream is bad because if you eat it too slow it melts but if you eat it too fast you get a headache. You can eat cake at any speed.

If you wanna eat lovely sweet bread I guess that's fine? Ice cream is good plain but all the "best" cakes always have non cake stuff in and on them to make them better. People love plain ice cream but how many people like plain white cake with no frosting?