Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
maybe the whole series is just Ehrlich's opium dream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I thought what they did with Ehrlich was weird as poo poo, and i just found out tj miller was exiting. I don't read this thread often and i don't follow hollywood/show news with a couple exceptions so i'm surprised and unhappy. I like TJ Miller a lot, and the show will be less without him.

Really didn't like this season's narrative as much as the previous ones, but the jokes were still funny. Watching Richard being played as a way bigger shithead than in previous seasons kind of hosed up the general vibe of the show that I liked. I don't really want to see a vile shithead succeed against slightly different kinds of vile shithead while dragging down a bunch of overly loyal nerds with him. I mean yeah that's literally what silicon valley is in real life, but i'm not as much into watching that.

I'll see where S5 goes still but I hope they unceremoniously drop a lot of the character changes and plot conceits of this season.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Really didn't like this season's narrative as much as the previous ones, but the jokes were still funny.

I hated the narrative, and now with TJ Miller gone I probably won't bother with the next season, but seeing Richard arm Dinesh with the mobile pineapple was the hardest I laughed with ANYTHING for years.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think Jared is the most likable character on the show by far and the writers amping up Richard's rear end in a top hat tendencies is hard to deal with. Jared's struggle and whole resignation subplot was pretty emotionally resonant to me.

If the show is never able to get past the whole rubberbanding between disasters and miracles to do something more coherent, it's just going to amount to a collection of amusing gags and references. Which has some merit, but falls pretty short of the potential.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Sci Fi movie Man Vs on Netflix stars Russ Hanneman as a Les Stroud type survival tv guy going up against an alien or something in the woods.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Sci Fi movie Man Vs on Netflix stars Russ Hanneman as a Les Stroud type survival tv guy going up against an alien or something in the woods.

If that was in character as Russ it'd be a must watch.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

I still can't decide if I like TJ miller or even find him funny, but I finally read the THR interview, and it seems very clear Miller is aware that this move is a terrible career decision, but acknowledges mediocre voiceover work will pay the bills while giving more time and creative options for his own projects. The Yogi Bear quote very much reads as tongue in cheek.

quote:

I'm me, the guy that thinks all of this is sort of ridiculous. It was a joke. Leaving was a joke that I thought would be a good joke because the show would grow and change. It seemed like a funny trick to play on everyone. It's just like, what if Kramer [Michael Richards] left in the middle of Seinfeld's height? And also what if that guy never said the N-word on a stage? What if that was the end of this character? I just thought that would be really fascinating.

quote:

That's what America is. There is failure, but we pivot. My departure will do the same. Instead of dying, like everybody in my family would love, I go and make The Emoji Movie. It's worse for American culture..

quote:

Some people are like, "Ah, I guess he's got too much going on, he's too big for the show." What are you talking about? It's, like, the best show on television, in my opinion, and I'm going and doing The Emoji Movie — and you can publish that because Sony knows we down to get motherf—ing paid globally.

quote:

Websites like TV Overmind or something, and they're putting forth very reasonable, well-written logic for why this is so dumb and the only thing I'll ever be good at was this part in Silicon Valley. Yet none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D, so they're all talking and chit-chattering and squawk, squawk, squawk — but none of them have seen Yogi Bear 3D. So they don't know that I've already done the best thing that I'll ever do. And because of that, there is no fear about any move in Hollywood for me. I'm just on the downslope. This is all a downward spiral, career-wise.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The Yogi Bear 3D self-deprecation thing has literally been a part of both TJ Miller's stand-up material and a regular throwaway line of his on talk shows for about 5 years now.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
probably the worst thing about this season was propping up gavin as having any positive attributes. are we really supposed to believe he would have negotiated conjoined guy out of the hostage situation as opposed to being immediately taken hostage too the moment he tried to bring a macaque onto the factory floor to illustrate a metaphor about the dangers of individuality

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Gavin's always been able to "solve" problems by throwing money at them. I'm sure he just did the same thing here.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
I'm just pleasantly surprised​ that the China scenes weren't too racist.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What part of them was racist at all? China exists. Factories exist. They make tech products. Is any of that problematic for you?

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

God Hole posted:

The Yogi Bear 3D self-deprecation thing has literally been a part of both TJ Miller's stand-up material and a regular throwaway line of his on talk shows for about 5 years now.

Ah, ok- I haven't seen his stand up special yet. It just seemed like there were some posts taking that Yogi Bear quote at face value.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure why anyone would expect this show to be racist, either.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I guess if you were looking for something to call a stereotype, the opium den maybe?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Fine, pretend I didn't say "too".

Snak posted:

I'm not sure why anyone would expect this show to be racist, either.

Silicon Valley techbros tend to be terrible to anything Chinese.

e: vvv but he or his writers can easily pick up and reflect it, like they have everything else in SV.

Whiz Palace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 11, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You realize that Mike Judge is not a Silicon Valley Techbro...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Um pretty sure he dabbled in it back in the day.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, fair, but late 80s, early 90s SV isn't quite the same as the modern climate which I thought was being alluded to by "Techbro".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This Jian Yang character is highly problematic...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I liked how Judge handled the "but there's no female lead character!" criticism from Season 1 by introducing a female lead character in Season 2, getting a bunch of positive "Silicon Valley is no longer problematic" stories from a news cycle, and then 2 weeks later writing off the character completely

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't get why this thread is still obsessed with straw men haters of this show.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

I liked how Judge handled the "but there's no female lead character!" criticism from Season 1 by introducing a female lead character in Season 2, getting a bunch of positive "Silicon Valley is no longer problematic" stories from a news cycle, and then 2 weeks later writing off the character completely

Ahh yes, that news cycle. I remember it well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like this because it pokes fun at Silicon Valley culture and has funny characters and situations.

Like... a lot of weird positive responses as if this show's humor comes at the expense of women or asians. I don't see it. Like what show are you guys watching?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

whalesteak posted:

I still can't decide if I like TJ miller or even find him funny, but I finally read the THR interview, and it seems very clear Miller is aware that this move is a terrible career decision, but acknowledges mediocre voiceover work will pay the bills while giving more time and creative options for his own projects. The Yogi Bear quote very much reads as tongue in cheek.

TJ Miller generally seems to operate/base his comedy on a pretty ego-forward brand of nihilism, where things like Yogi Bear 3D being one of his biggest paydays translates into "if this is considered valuable and important, then clearly nothing matters". On top of that he also had an undiagnosed brain hemorrhage with a high mortality rate during that period, which might have also messed with him a bit.

In general I'd agree that if I hadn't happened to see a headline that TJ Miller was leaving, his progression toward exiting the storyline would have been hard when mixed with Richard's self-inflicted downfall.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mike Judge has a history of being racist in his shows

King of the Hill's neighbors were Asian stereotypes (and they never even said whether they were Chinese or Japanese)

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Ein cooler Typ posted:

King of the Hill's neighbors were Asian stereotypes (and they never even said whether they were Chinese or Japanese)

You're joking right? I only ask because it's so badly done I thought there was a chance you were being serious.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They were from Laos, stupid. It's a landlocked country in South-East Asia.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
If you've seen Idiocracy you can tell he is also racist against poors and sports drinks

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
One of the main characters of King of the Hill butchers the Spanish language as a joke. Racist af.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ein cooler Typ posted:

You're supposed to source your quotes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You're from what ocean?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It's worth it to say that TJ Miller is not exactly playing with a full deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9N5AWprG8

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Snak posted:

One of the main characters of King of the Hill butchers the Spanish language as a joke. Racist af.

Sounds like a bad hombre. What did the Spanish do to him?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I know this is a troll and all but goddamnit this is so wrong it still makes me angry. So... god job? I guess?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ein cooler Typ posted:

*squints and looks this post up and down*

He's Laotian.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

a joke about how terrible she is

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

They were from Laos, stupid. It's a landlocked country in South-East Asia.

yeah but are they Chinese or Japanese

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

This right here is exactly the kind of racism we're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Snak posted:

This right here is exactly the kind of racism we're talking about.

I didn't say naturally.

• Locked thread