Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

maybe get fancy and hinge it somehow. Have all the dimensions somewhere but not on hand with me.

Hate to sound like captain obvious here but a set of pre-hung double steel doors would probably be the simplest (and most code-compliant) way to achieve this. Don't know if you have a Menards nearby but they have a set with a nominal opening of 72x80 for under 500 bucks. Any kind of lumberyard is going to have other cheap options like that.

Mostly I'm just jealous of you and the other guys who have/will have huge basement workshops that you can drive your cars into; I can barely stand up straight in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bennyfactor posted:

Hate to sound like captain obvious here but a set of pre-hung double steel doors would probably be the simplest (and most code-compliant) way to achieve this. Don't know if you have a Menards nearby but they have a set with a nominal opening of 72x80 for under 500 bucks. Any kind of lumberyard is going to have other cheap options like that.

Very much an option I'm looking at, just need to convince the fiance they'll work and aren't that hideous. Being code compliant would be nice and would be a step up since the flimsy cheap as hell door they have on there now is very much not to code and one of the things we're bringing up at final negotiations.

Tossed dimensions in floorplanner, I have space to play with. White are E30 except the bigger one is E28, black blob of pixels is wife's tacoma. Dimensions accurate but placement of doors, stairs and water heater are approx.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 8, 2017

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Larrymer posted:

Got the asbestos tile removed from my garage floor today. Only it wasn't everywhere in the garage and there are random concrete patches.

Before:

After:

Going to see an epoxy guy soon and see what can be done. Hopefully it's salvageable.

Careful with the sanding because there might be asbestos in the adhesive they used to lay down the tiles as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Why was the asbestos removed in the first place? If it's sealed then it's fine... I feel that taking it up would've produced a whole lot more fibres than not taking it up and possibly sealing it forever under concrete.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why was the asbestos removed in the first place? If it's sealed then it's fine... I feel that taking it up would've produced a whole lot more fibres than not taking it up and possibly sealing it forever under concrete.

Because it was cracking the tiles when I used a jack and breaking up in chunks. So, yeah.

Cached Money posted:

Careful with the sanding because there might be asbestos in the adhesive they used to lay down the tiles as well.

Mastic was tested, didn't contain asbestos. Still, the epoxy and floor grinding is going to be contracted out. Should happen next week. There's still a few spots that I'm going to grind myself and try and fill (low spot by the door on one side) but either way I'll be wearing a mask and having a dust collector for the grinder.

Last night I worked on the areas where I'm seeing wet drywall (water is coming up from the floor near the front side door and on the one exterior wall, looks like between the garage slab and the blocks of the foundation around the perimeter) and trying to divert water away outside. Seems like it's wicking in the wooden baseboards and going up to the drywall so I'm debating going with a different material for them on reinstall. Any suggestions? Thought about PVC or maybe just not even reinstalling them (since the water isn't high enough to get the drywall wet, there's a 1-2" gap from the floor to the drywall) so I don't have this problem again. Already I've tried to fill in the gap between the slab and the block with a bit of cement and did other measures outside the garage so hopefully I don't have this again, but I don't want it to gently caress up my drywall again in any case.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 12, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Bought a new house a couple of months ago with a triple attached garage. It has a pull through 3rd bay with back yard access which is going to be super handy.

In process of pouring a 30' long pad (20x30) behind that bay. My concrete contractor wanted to do it in 2 stages, in no small part because of limited access his crew is moving the concrete by hand with wheelbarrow.

1st half got finished last night. Started to pour at about 17:00 (wanted to wait for the direct sun to be gone), finished pouring at about 19:00, wrapped up with the finishing about an hour after that. It's basic with a broom finish. Now that I see it taking shape, I'm even more sure this was a good move. 6" thick at the house edge, about 5" on the slab edge, and between 4.5-5 for the bulk of the slab. It'll be mostly used as a patio with maybe the rare vehicle parked on it every now and then so it'll be ample for that. The biggest load it will probably have on it is going to be when I do my landscaping yet this summer which will require a skidsteer, so I want to wait about 3-4 weeks until it's about 90% before I even consider it.

Just finished throwing some water on it and will be continuing to do so for the next couple days.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Drive through garages are the best! My buddy has one and I'm super jealous. Besides being able to move projects/equipment into the yard, his has been used as indoor patio space when a storm interrupted a BBQ party. Also, I really like having the garage open while working for light and fresh air, but not being open to the street so you don't have to worry about lookie-loos or dogs/kids escaping.

I'm finally getting around to putting a PC in my garage. And I might have a lead on a big solid workbench (with a vice...).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I kind of want to knock down the back wall for my garage and make it drive through

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Are you going to throw a fence or something around that basement window? I feel like I would walk out the door and promptly fall into that hole.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I kind of want to knock down the back wall for my garage and make it drive through

:same:

Except it would be into my den.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Are you going to throw a fence or something around that basement window? I feel like I would walk out the door and promptly fall into that hole.
You know it never even crossed my mind. It's a bit of an illusion, it's probably over 6' away from the door and it swings in but it's not an insane idea. I'll probably live with it for a while. If I see it as a genuine risk, I'll figure something out. I've never had a house with Wells before (and my basement has a 9.5' ceiling) so they and any hazards the bring are new to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've fallen down one once, and got extremely lucky that I landed squarely on my rear end without any actual injury. At least put a lid of some sort on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That is a spare bedroom so we can't really cover it for light and fire escape reasons, but if need be I will probably design some sort of decorative rail or something.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

How about a grate? Would have been nice when you had the slab poured to put a little lip around it that you could just drop it on. Light gets through and it could lift right off.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slidebite posted:

You know it never even crossed my mind. It's a bit of an illusion, it's probably over 6' away from the door and it swings in but it's not an insane idea. I'll probably live with it for a while. If I see it as a genuine risk, I'll figure something out. I've never had a house with Wells before (and my basement has a 9.5' ceiling) so they and any hazards the bring are new to me.

Good plan, I've never owned anything like that either.

Larrymer posted:

How about a grate? Would have been nice when you had the slab poured to put a little lip around it that you could just drop it on. Light gets through and it could lift right off.

Yeah I would think like this would be fine

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah that's what I meant by covering it. Enough that nobody falls in but it's still a viable escape route.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That might look a little odd I think with the window being half exposed above grade. I think if a guy went with a decorative railing or something like some 2-3' flower pots or something might be an option.

Either way, I'll see if it's an issue or not. It's just my wife and I (no kids or anything) so the risk is small, BUT since it was brought up I could see it in a worst case like walking by in the middle of a black as hell night drunk and forgetting about it or something.

I do think it was wise of you guys to mention it, like I said I never considered it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Just don't turn into the literal goon in the well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

goon in a weeping tile

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

slidebite posted:

goon in a weeping tile

Goon in a French drain

Edit for seriousness: I think some tall planters would be perfect there. But yeah, especially since it's a straight shot from the door to falling rear end-over-tits into a hole, you should put something there.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 17, 2017

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Question for those with dedicated shop garages. I can fit a 19x24 (External) garage on my property. A 2 post lift is required, do you think it's going to be horrible working around the posts? I can go inground lift, but I don't really want to if I can save the money.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mine is like 24x26 and it's tight with 2 vehicles in there. and a wall full of shelves on one side.

Although my vehicles are a little more....full figured.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'd say if you can afford it, you won't regret it especially in a small space. You can certainly work around it if necessary but yeah a lift is in the way whenever you don't need a lift.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My old garage was 24' wide. We had a legacy, Tacoma, and some 18" deep shelves on one side so not exactly jam packed. It will be tight and awkward with 2 vehicles in it with a post lift permanently installed but you could do it. If you don't have shelves on either side it would help.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

24 deep with a lift in the 'back' spot would be pretty nice and is what my Dad is looking at doing. 24 wide with a lift on one side shouldn't be too awkward either. We had a 2-post at the shop that was right around 25' wide (about 20' deep) and it wasn't bad at all. Looking at a couple 2-posts total width is 12' or less so unless you had huge shelves taking up side space I think it would work good.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I should have been clearer. This is only for one car.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
I just ordered a MaxJax lift for my new garage, don't have it yet so can't give you any firsthand info but one of the main selling points is that you can unbolt them fairly easily and roll the posts out of the way when not in use. They're also relatively cheap (got mine on special for $1699 delivered) and seem to get great reviews.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just looked at that and they seem cool if you have to remove it after you are done. Maybe a bit pricy but if you have limited space it is a good option.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

FatCow posted:

I should have been clearer. This is only for one car.
So you're only using the whole garage as a 1 car garage? No problem if that's the case. Using it as a 2 car garage with the lift in one bay would be a little tight.

BigPaddy posted:

Just looked at that and they seem cool if you have to remove it after you are done. Maybe a bit pricy but if you have limited space it is a good option.

I have a Quickjack and it's pretty trick. Obviously cant get the height a true post lift can but it's high enough to do anything I want to do, including dropping transmissions, motors, etc. It's a little bulky but portable.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems/bl-5000slx-portable-car-lift.html

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 18, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Also, took the forms off and saw cut the slab. Pretty much done now! Pretty stoked to have this completed, I can't wait for another 3 weeks so I can get the pad to 90%+ set so I can drive the skidsteer on this thing and get rocking on the rest of the landscaping.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

I have this Bendpak that I really like. (just for more lift data points)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I finally got some new to me pallets to tidy things up a bit around my place.

These little electric forklifts are so loving handy.

Looking pretty functional around here finally.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I've been looking at getting a mid-rise scissor lift like that for the new place for working on things. Other than maybe being tricky for doing driveshaft/exhaust work do you have any complaints?

I looked at the Max Jax but for the height and everything else a less expensive scissor makes more sense and is much easier to store (can put it under the fiance's truck).

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Also, took the forms off and saw cut the slab. Pretty much done now! Pretty stoked to have this completed, I can't wait for another 3 weeks so I can get the pad to 90%+ set so I can drive the skidsteer on this thing and get rocking on the rest of the landscaping.

Edumacate me: what is "saw cut the slab" and why is it done?

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I have this Bendpak that I really like. (just for more lift data points)

Noice. What's the wooden frame for?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

bolind posted:

Edumacate me: what is "saw cut the slab" and why is it done?

Allows for expansion due to temp without cracking, as well as allowing movement for the slab settling into the ground.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

Noice. What's the wooden frame for?

I was wondering the same but it looks like it's for driving the car onto which helps centre it a bit perhaps?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I was wondering the same but it looks like it's for driving the car onto which helps centre it a bit perhaps?

Probably raising the car up a little as well to get the lift under it since it's a tiny little MR2.

Working on my garage more this week. Putting in some new drywall, ripped out the baseboard trim and am going to go with something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ROPPE-Self-Stick-Black-4-in-x-20-ft-x-0-080-in-Vinyl-Wall-Cove-Base-Coil-HC40C51S100/100123333

This way I can have toolboxes/workbench right up against the walls (hey man, it's a small 2 car and all that space counts!). Need to get the drywall taped and mudded then hopefully paint before epoxy guy comes next Wednesday. I also need to do a little grinding before he comes. He's going to grind the slab but as pictured earlier in the thread there are uneven patches. I want to try and smooth them out a bit and also there's a low spot near the door which allows water in that I want to fill. I bought some of this stuff from Legacy Industrial (popular on garage journal).
http://www.legacyindustrial.net/products/concrete-repair/hd-110-epoxy-concrete-patch.html

Will definitely post some more pictures once I'm getting closer to completed. I'm going with a dark grey epoxy with white and black chips, so I'm thinking of painting the walls a grey/silver and do a white ceiling.

I know most of you serious garage bros are like "who gives a poo poo, where's the lift?" but it drives me crazy that I had a lovely chipping tan floor and tan walls/ceiling. Beige everywhere! :argh: I just want my garage to not have water issues and have a good floor that doesn't crack anymore. Then I'll mess with adding more lighting and electrical in there and maybe a scissor lift if I can find one that fits in the space and makes sense. I still want to be able to park 2 cars in it daily.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Larrymer posted:

Probably raising the car up a little as well to get the lift under it since it's a tiny little MR2.
I know most of you serious garage bros are like "who gives a poo poo, where's the lift?"

Pretty much all my cars except to X5 and Dually need a little help to get over the thing. Saw it on a Corvette forum, simple little 3" rise rigid box around the lift made of 2x4's and 2x12's.

Also, epoxy floors are the best. I was prepared and expected to do it to whatever house we bought down here, but the PO had the floor polished, and I've been trying to keep up the finish. It makes cleaning up oil super easy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BigPaddy posted:

Allows for expansion due to temp without cracking, as well as allowing movement for the slab settling into the ground.

And if a crack were to happen it would stop at the cut. They also like to cut them at stress risers like inside corners (for example, the corner of that window box) where a crack would be likely to form.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've done nothing useful to my 9'x24' since the last thread fell into archives, it's heading more towards a wood workshop than wrenching space due to size anyway. Still plan to put a car port on the side to work out of the rain at some point.