Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

for peace of mind, i'd say yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Someone (I think Digital Foundry?) tested the loading times using Zelda as a benchmark on internal memory, SD card, and cart. They loaded fastest to slowest in that order iirc, but even on the long 30 second loads, the difference wasn't more than like, 2-3 second between the internal memory and the cart.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are the differences between something being on internal memory, on an SD card, or on a game card really that significant?

IIRC If it's an online game it doesn't matter at all. The game will wait for everyone to load.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

itd make menu navigating and poo poo a bit faster, and i might as well utilize the space since it's there is my reasoning

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Article here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-best-microsd-cards-for-switch-loading-time-comparison

So yeah the internal memory is faster by a few seconds (think they said usually like 14 % faster compared to game carts) than both SD and game carts with SD cards having a slight advantage over carts.

Doesn't really matter for online stuff though, yeah. It's also super-annoying that you can't switch stuff from internal to SD card without loving re-downloading it; JFC

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Should've tested loading different games after another too, but that is interesting.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are the differences between something being on internal memory, on an SD card, or on a game card really that significant?

No

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't believe that SMRPG is finally getting a sequel

No lie, I had no idea that's what this enemy was supposed to actually look like. I saw the thing on his head as slick black hair (with the silver being the shiny part of his hair), and his fur as a red suit. I thought it was suppose to be like a "suave" looking kong that was imprisoned.

I mean, it's kind of hard to tell when the sprite is this small.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I don't really see the big difference in loading times between options. It's only a few loving seconds.

get physical carts so you can at least trade/sell them in the future if you want.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hopping between games on a whim in the span of a few seconds is a great thing, I'm learning. Finally finished Kamiko while waiting for Gonner to download, then had some fun trying Gonner out.

I love my portable indie device.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I hope they port Furi and Hyper Light Drifter over

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Unless *maybe* if you want to get the absolute best speedrun time, you're really not going to notice a meaningful difference between cart and digital..

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Trying to download the Splat2 test, Zelda update and Killing Floor 2 (on PC) at the same time. Things aren't going great, haha.

I finally added my code to the list. Everyone should add me because I play almost every month.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the Switch is surprisingly small for a console, and surprisingly big for a handheld

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's just right

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

So I finally got a Switch, and (stupidly) digital versions of Zelda and stuff.

I got it on Wifi and started the initial update, and it basically held at "Estimating download time" for a couple minutes. I did the internet speed test thing on the Switch and got several mb/s up and down, and went back to the update ststus which was then estimating like 300 minutes to completion.

It's dropped a lot since then but was still at about 120 minutes when I last looked which still seems kinda long??? Is this some weird thing for the initial update where it's huge or the download is extra slow or everyone's trying to download splatoon 2 right now so I bought my Switch on the wrong day or something?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It definitely shouldn't be taking that long. Maybe restart your router? Did you update the system first?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It definitely shouldn't be taking that long. Maybe restart your router? Did you update the system first?

This is the initial update, just powered it on.

Also I think I just solved it by moving it literally next to the router instead of next to my TV which was maybe 7 feet away with no walls between them. I double checked and it seems like the switch can only connect tot he 2.4GHz network from my router, so that might be the issue. I live in a big apartment complex with 40 zillion different wifi networks and generally things on 2.4 seem to perform perform badly compared to 5.0., my 3DS actually does the same thing.

I might invest in a wired adapter for my dock.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Magna Kaser posted:

Also I think I just solved it by moving it literally next to the router instead of next to my TV which was maybe 7 feet away with no walls between them. I double checked and it seems like the switch can only connect tot he 2.4GHz network from my router, so that might be the issue. I live in a big apartment complex with 40 zillion different wifi networks and generally things on 2.4 seem to perform perform badly compared to 5.0., my 3DS actually does the same thing.

grats on the switch!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Magna Kaser posted:

The Switch is indeed 5Ghz-compatible and should be able to connect to your router via that wavelength.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Switch is indeed 5Ghz-compatible and should be able to connect to your router via that wavelength.

Weird. It's showing up now that I check again, but I swear it was not before.

But even without switching over, downloads seemed to get better after that first update. No idea if it was just the system restarting or some firmware update along the way. The weird update to use whatever SDXC card I have and then actual games were pretty fast in comparison.

Either way, excited to finally start playing some games!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If only there were some games on the Switch...

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Just beat Zelda, took me a month

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/jackboxgames/status/885984804235247616

JB1 is real good
I can take or leave JB2

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What indies can folks recommend on the switch?

Is Vaccine any use?

MarkVega
Jan 1, 2008
Just lookin'.

Golden Goat posted:

Is Vaccine any use?

I myself like it. It reminds me of a roguelike HUNK run from re2 where the deadline gets shorter and shorter. The bestiary is pitifully low but the runs usually are within 15 minutes each play. Theres some silly rpg stats leveling with a silly cap and 4 weapons. It also looks like rear end if you dont dig 90s polygonfests

It's poifect on da sweetch.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I'm probably late to the party with this, but I just noticed you can earn My Nintendo points for physical games by going into the game menu on the home screen! It makes you put the card in the Switch to confirm.

Now all I need is something to redeem them for.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Golden Goat posted:

Is Vaccine any use?

Cave Story+ if you've never played it before.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Golden Goat posted:

Is Vaccine any use?

Solid games based on my experiences and from what I commonly see recommended in the thread:

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Blaster Master Zero
Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth +
Kamiko
Thumper
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Cave Story+
GoNNer

Many others are also pretty solid if you like the genre. Check out the second post of the thread for a complete listing (though it's missing this week's eShop games).

Also major props to Al Borland Corp. for all the hard work with the first two posts.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 15, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I'm watching my progress through the Hero's Path DLC in Zelda and it's crazy how many named areas I've missed so far. Even on the Great Plateau itself :psyduck: this is gonna extend my play through so much

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 15, 2017

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
neo turf masters is top 5 switch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also, mighty Gunvolt burst is phenomenal and only ten bucks!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

neo turf masters is top 5 switch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loving BUNDLE THEM, JACKBOX

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't believe that SMRPG is finally getting a sequel

Is that Leo Luster's younger brother?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

2 has Quiplash XL, Fibbage 2, and Bomb Corp., which all own the most.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zelder posted:

How would you say it compares to Mega Man X? That seems to be the sweet spot in the series for me.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

NofrikinfuN posted:

How would you say it compares to Mega Man X? That seems to be the sweet spot in the series for me.

It's not as good as mega man x but few games are. It does have that games speed (if you play as beck, he can do an air dash), though not at first. Make sure you do the propeller stage first and unlock the aerial option power up. It should honestly be available from the start, but much like the dash boots in X being locked in chill penguin's stage, it's a small issue I'm willing to overlook.

If you like mega man x I think you'll like this game, it's probably the game mighty number 9 should've been from the start

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zelder posted:

It's not as good as mega man x but few games are. It does have that games speed (if you play as beck, he can do an air dash), though not at first. Make sure you do the propeller stage first and unlock the aerial option power up. It should honestly be available from the start, but much like the dash boots in X being locked in chill penguin's stage, it's a small issue I'm willing to overlook.

If you like mega man x I think you'll like this game, it's probably the game mighty number 9 should've been from the start

I was wondering where the gently caress air dash was. I've done like 4 levels already past the intro one.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Zelder posted:

I'll throw that in, had seen positive feedback but not enough so far in the thread to have included it at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I was wondering where the gently caress air dash was. I've done like 4 levels already past the intro one.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the customizable parts. I found another traversal skill in them. Double Jump

• Locked thread