Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think "coffee shop IT guy" youtube coffee channel could be a cool schtick to be honest, if you wanted to step in front of the camera. An ensemble cast can keep things interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Martytoof posted:

If you have any amount of budget (like, get a nice camera and some cheap studio lights) and you have someone mildly photogenic I would wholeheartedly recommend a YouTube page instead of a text blog. Put up one or two videos a month, give them more than the basic production value, make it entertaining and you've got a much better chance of catching attention.

You don't even need content that's super unique. I'm subscribed to probably five or six cocktail channels that all basically post the same recipes; a few airsoft channels that all post the same kinds of reviews and videos; a bunch of gaming channels that all post similar content. If you can come up with something fresh then even better, but I bet a YouTube channel that's coffee centric, coherent, and more than potato-cam-in-basement quality will do okay.

I 100% agree with this over the idea of a text blog. Mostly because I've used a few of them to make buying decisions, seeing somebody work through using the machine or device helped me greatly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ILikeVoltron posted:

I 100% agree with this over the idea of a text blog. Mostly because I've used a few of them to make buying decisions, seeing somebody work through using the machine or device helped me greatly.

Agreed. I bought the Breville Smart Grinder because of the SCG video review. I've watched quite a bit of their videos on machine reviews, even ones I have no interest in buying.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Check out Stumptown's channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl8hPfs3o8c

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

I am so glad I've forgotten what this sounds like so it can't get stuck in my head anymore.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

We need a bot that posts this at regular intervals so no one can miss out on its amazingness.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mods pls

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Corla Plankun posted:

I am so glad I've forgotten what this sounds like so it can't get stuck in my head anymore.

That's just the stoner pour talkin'

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Martytoof posted:

I think "coffee shop IT guy" youtube coffee channel could be a cool schtick to be honest, if you wanted to step in front of the camera. An ensemble cast can keep things interesting.

Yeah... I've got one of those "faces for radio" (which bizarrely enough is a phrase I learned while working in radio) so that might not be a good idea.

These are all good ideas everyone, but I should point out that we are not a drop shipping juggernaut like SCG or a distribution darling like Stumptown so resources are pretty limited. The business originally was a pokey little specialty equipment store that you had to visit in person before I took them online. The owner has incredible hookups due to decades in the biz, but things are just starting out really. Our niche is deep, but not wide currently if that makes sense.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Has anyone had success getting a superfine grind with their Javapresse? I've been trying to make Turkish coffee, but the grind isn't coming out quite fine enough.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There Bias Two posted:

Has anyone had success getting a superfine grind with their Javapresse? I've been trying to make Turkish coffee, but the grind isn't coming out quite fine enough.

I haven't used it, but I find them be interchangeable with the alibaba chinese crap grinders in that $20-$30 range (e.g. EZE, Culinary Prestige, even the Rhinowares grinder), so it wouldn't surprise me if it can't do it. They've just spent more attention on branding than most.

Speaking of grinders, I've been spending more time with the Sette 270W. We loaned out our big shop grinder (Mythos Clima) to a big client for a grand opening event, so we've been using the Sette as our daily driver for the last two days. It's surprisingly okay actually, not as good as the Mythos but it doesn't cost $3000 either. It is loud as gently caress though. Like, possibly the loudest grinder I've ever heard.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Scaramouche posted:

I haven't used it, but I find them be interchangeable with the alibaba chinese crap grinders in that $20-$30 range (e.g. EZE, Culinary Prestige, even the Rhinowares grinder), so it wouldn't surprise me if it can't do it. They've just spent more attention on branding than most.

Speaking of grinders, I've been spending more time with the Sette 270W. We loaned out our big shop grinder (Mythos Clima) to a big client for a grand opening event, so we've been using the Sette as our daily driver for the last two days. It's surprisingly okay actually, not as good as the Mythos but it doesn't cost $3000 either. It is loud as gently caress though. Like, possibly the loudest grinder I've ever heard.

They explicitly say they're capable of the superfine flour-like grind needed for Turkish coffee, so if they really can't, it's a clear case of false advertising rather than a misleading statement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well see now I have a problem. I got exposed to espresso and I love it, only I'm going back three, four, five times a day. What can I do to retain the absolute punch-me-in-the-face-with-coffee flavor but in something that lasts more than thirty seconds?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Well see now I have a problem. I got exposed to espresso and I love it, only I'm going back three, four, five times a day. What can I do to retain the absolute punch-me-in-the-face-with-coffee flavor but in something that lasts more than thirty seconds?

Most independent shops in Toronto will do a pretty good Long Black, which will split the difference between a straight espresso shot and and Americano. It's still only going to be a 6-8 oz drink, so it won't last forever, but it may be what you're looking for.

Maybe just double check that they aren't going to pull the shot longer, because you'll just end up with something bitter and kind of weak.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Definitely going to try this, thanks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The answer is always another espresso.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

The answer is always another espresso.

Tattoo "double espresso" on my forehead for convenience then. I'll just point to order.

I was just thinking about the fallacy that is when someone says I should buy an expensive machine by comparing it to how much I pay for drinks on a daily basis. Unless I strap this machine to my back it's going to live at home but most of my coffee is drunk at work. I'm totally open to buying an expensive machine I just don't think I buy the "you'll save money down the road" line though. I'll end up buying coffee anyway unless I travel home every hour for another shot.

Also in the week that I've been a coffee drinker I actually started going for espressos with both my CEO and my VP of technology and I've made some amazing connections. It's like smoking in that it helps expand a circle of friends, but it'll probably kill me by caffeine instead of cancer. If I ever take up smoking just shoot me though.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 15, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh yeah I was totally lying about that part. Any money you'd save you'll just spend on more, better espresso. I'm the scorpion baby.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Not you specifically, I've had like twelve people tell me that in the past week :haw:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You won't save money at all, but you can always aim for the darkness by avoiding the light spots.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

You won't save money at all, but you can always aim for the darkness by avoiding the light spots.

Kill me pls

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Amazon prime day has now allowed me to smart control my espresso machine. I can now start heating it up by voice command from bed. Feels good man.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

rockcity posted:

Amazon prime day has now allowed me to smart control my espresso machine. I can now start heating it up by voice command from bed. Feels good man.

I'd avoid wiring your house up with smart devices like that, generally. Maybe it makes me a luddite, but there will be people exploiting vulnerabilities in them before long, and I imagine it wouldn't be all that difficult to blow up your espresso machine. Not that I'm saying you're at risk or anything, it just strikes me as a bad trend.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

yeah i'm sure the terrorists are coming for rockcity's espresso machine :rolleyes:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

We sold a fancy machine to a guy who uses one of those smart switches. He's a high-powered consultant always flying around so he sends it an email from the airport and the machine is ready and warmed up by the time he gets home.

The new Jura machines are also compatible with a blue tooth modem add-on that you can control stuff from an app. The commercial grade ones will report drinks served, water level, email on alerts, etc.

The really high end ones can come with a GSM modem that works over cell phone like a dial up modem (e.g. you sent it AT=xxxx commands) so we can reprogram the drinks from remote.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

dik-dik posted:

yeah i'm sure the terrorists are coming for rockcity's espresso machine :rolleyes:

Oh *that's* not what I'm worried about. More along the lines of an easily spread virus that indiscriminately damages smart devices.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah nobody's breaking out stuxnet on coffee goons but there's a definite danger of getting your device compromised and used in DDOS attacks or just digitally vandalized.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

There Bias Two posted:

Oh *that's* not what I'm worried about. More along the lines of an easily spread virus that indiscriminately damages smart devices.

It can't actually control the machine, it just controls the outlet, so at most they would just damage my $20 smart outlet or turn on the outlet to heat up the machine. I mean, having it on for some crazy amount of time would be bad but they can't actually make the machine do anything.

maseca
Mar 18, 2017

i started roasting green coffee in a cast iron skillet a couple weeks ago if anyone else is curious about trying it out for themselves. it is actually very straightforward, and basically how the pioneers roasted their coffee. pictured here is guatemalanan huehuetenango at full city

Only registered members can see post attachments!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

maseca posted:

i started roasting green coffee in a cast iron skillet a couple weeks ago if anyone else is curious about trying it out for themselves. it is actually very straightforward, and basically how the pioneers roasted their coffee. pictured here is guatemalanan huehuetenango at full city

How's it taste compared to pre-roasted?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If they've just roasted they should let the beans outgas a bit before brewing

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

If they've just roasted they should let the beans outgas a bit before brewing

They said they have been doing it a few weeks.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Recommendations for K-cups for work? I will dive off the deep end for home stuff soon for normal stuff but just need some bulk k-cups to keep at work for now.

Also, may be a silly question, but if I like my coffee cold, can I just stick it in the freezer out of the keurig for a little bit or is that sacrilege in the coffee world?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Cbear posted:

Recommendations for K-cups for work? I will dive off the deep end for home stuff soon for normal stuff but just need some bulk k-cups to keep at work for now.

Also, may be a silly question, but if I like my coffee cold, can I just stick it in the freezer out of the keurig for a little bit or is that sacrilege in the coffee world?

Whatever flavors are available at Costco. K-cups are already sacrilege enough, so if you like it, do it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

IIRC the whole "let your beans outgas before brewing them" thing is bull. I definitely read something to that effect from a reputable online source at some point. In any case, every since I read that I've brewed coffee (even espresso!) immediately after cooling and it's always tasted fine and brewed fine :shrug:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dik-dik posted:

IIRC the whole "let your beans outgas before brewing them" thing is bull. I definitely read something to that effect from a reputable online source at some point. In any case, every since I read that I've brewed coffee (even espresso!) immediately after cooling and it's always tasted fine and brewed fine :shrug:

I would disagree with that. We've got 4-5 varieties we roast in town at another location. One time there was a screw up, and they could only get us beans that had been roasted that day about 2 hours earlier, and we were out of everything else. The roast I'm thinking is one I've been drinking every day for the last year or so, and it was markedly different that fresh. The grind was totally different, and the flavour was really undeveloped. Almost sugary and lacking any real body compared to how it normally is. Two days later it was just like it had been every day for the last year.

Cbear posted:

Yeah as said, you're doing k-cups anyway so it really doesn't matter. It's like worrying about if your fly is open after committing necrophilia in in a busy intersection, the actual sacrilege moment has already passed. The green mountain donut shop is okay, they have some yirgz I've never tried but heard is good.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dik-dik posted:

I can never wait 2 days when I do a pound in my Behmor, (those beans smell so drat good!) but it's definitely tastier 36-48 hours after roasting. That's just one old man's opinion, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So my whirlwind discovery tour of coffee shops in the area has revealed a pattern of which espressos I like and which ones I don't. There's one place right by me that I've been to twice, and each time I get an espresso there it tastes.. green? I don't know how else to describe it. Very much tastes like there's grass in my coffee. Is this a thing that happens with different roasts or what is happening? I'm just not going to go there, much like I stopped going to starbucks because their espressos taste like an ashtray 75% of the time.

Which is a shame because my condo is literally on top of a starbucks so I'd love for the to make me some good espresso.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Starbucks is great if you just think about it as a place for milkshakes

900 calorie milkshakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Martytoof posted:

So my whirlwind discovery tour of coffee shops in the area has revealed a pattern of which espressos I like and which ones I don't. There's one place right by me that I've been to twice, and each time I get an espresso there it tastes.. green? I don't know how else to describe it. Very much tastes like there's grass in my coffee. Is this a thing that happens with different roasts or what is happening? I'm just not going to go there, much like I stopped going to starbucks because their espressos taste like an ashtray 75% of the time.

Which is a shame because my condo is literally on top of a starbucks so I'd love for the to make me some good espresso.

Talk to the baristas. Talk to them about how things taste and ask them about it! It is entirely possible that the grassiness is intentional (all sorts of things are possible and they could like the green flavors, or it could be they don't know and have something screwed up and nobody told them).