Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Sappo569 posted:

I mean look at this poo poo

RSI Aurora
This is an updated version of the Aurora. We previously didn’t think that we would have the time to complete this rework for 3.0.0, however, with the movement of our release dates we are now able to include this rework with 3.0.0.
ETA is 21st July

Ok, you DON'T have the time to complete it for 3.0 you loving dunces, THAT IS WHY YOU'RE SO FAR BEHIND!!!!

:pgabz:

what you think you can take artists who spent 7 years in ship design university can just up and work on other things? Do you have any idea of game development?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

If I go into a car dealership and order a car, and they say ok it will be here in 2 weeks.

Great good

Then I show up after 2 weeks and they say woops the factory hosed up, we had to push the production back by 2 more weeks.

BUT since we now have more time to make your car we decided to re-do the interior design, and change the body style.

You're welcome!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Carl Mark Force IV

Beet Wagon posted:

I no poo poo knew someone in Montana named Butts Glidewell

I knew a poor lady whose last name would be translated as "Dark rear end in a top hat."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sappo569 posted:

I mean look at this poo poo

RSI Aurora
This is an updated version of the Aurora. We previously didn’t think that we would have the time to complete this rework for 3.0.0, however, with the movement of our release dates we are now able to include this rework with 3.0.0.
ETA is 21st July

Ok, you DON'T have the time to complete it for 3.0 you loving dunces, THAT IS WHY YOU'RE SO FAR BEHIND!!!!

:pgabz:
Delayed: all the technical stuff that their small "actually building the game" team is unable to finish on time
New: poo poo their hundreds of idle artists can do in the meantime while waiting on a functional game to plug it into.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

July 7th Schedule Report

quote:

Completed: 5
Delayed: 11
Remaining: 19

July 14th Schedule Report

quote:

Completed: 2
Delayed: 7
New Tasks / Refactoring: 3
Remaining: 21

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Percelus posted:

with dialogue by chris roberts

Almost as bad as dialogue by George Lucas

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

It takes talent to have a 3D engine and still make it look like the guy is walking over green screen

http://i.imgur.com/S9lkyox.mp4

The latest in black and white fashion. Someone has stolen the clothes off that 'female model.'

And the thread's favourite:

http://i.imgur.com/5aMljC8.mp4

That was their best take.

Star Citizen really needs to stick with jpegs. Once it starts to grow into gifs and mpgs it really looks bad. :(

With all that motion capture you figure the animation would look good, but it all honestly looks keyframed by hand and just kind of awkward.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

remember who is directing the actors performing the mocap animations

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SelenicMartian posted:

Fidelity...

And it's well researched according to the office footage

Another episode of "what can our artists do to fake progress".

https://youtu.be/izCFvKfm-Cc

Or any one of another dozen liquid type plugins for whatever modeling program they're displaying there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sindai posted:

Say what you will about the Titanic, but drat those deck chairs were arranged really neatly.

What? What do people say now? :ohdear:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
is that sam doherty dude that british soap opera guy who was said to be joining the SQ42 cast a while back?

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I couldn't figure out why CIG and the citizens talk about Miles Eckhart like he's some amazing cool guy everyone's waiting to meet when he's just some bald jagoff with no personality and managing a bunch of pointless tasks.

But Chris really likes him and wants him in the game. And Chris has refactored his oh-so-cool leather jacket numerous times until it's just perfect. And you can't spell "Miles Eckhart" without c-h-r-i-s.

It's all so clear now.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ComfyPants posted:

I couldn't figure out why CIG and the citizens talk about Miles Eckhart like he's some amazing cool guy everyone's waiting to meet when he's just some bald jagoff with no personality and managing a bunch of pointless tasks.

But Chris really likes him and wants him in the game. And Chris has refactored his oh-so-cool leather jacket numerous times until it's just perfect. And you can't spell "Miles Eckhart" without c-h-r-i-s.

It's all so clear now.

Also can't spell it without "milk shart"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

radd posted:

I don't think you realise that this is being developed by CIG.

I know, friend. But say what you want about CIG, they are still a top tier modding group. FPS games are a heck of a lot easier to mod into CryEngine than a totally custom MMO in space.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
My favorite part about the GameStar article is that there's a significant chance that none of it ever sees the light of day.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Sappo569 posted:

My excerpts from the german article:

It is planned
Normally you would
In the Demo they have problems with the elevators and the physics grid, so they had to use commands.
In one room they find the corpse of the missing person. (Sadly the interaction system in the demo fails) But now 2 enemies are coming from behind and start to fire at you.
Now the people from Gamestar are allowed to play 3.0 by themselves.
Shortly after they used the new nox bike, the game crashed.
With a console command, they teleport to an outpost, which might be part of a mission in 3.0
Not everything that will be in 3.0 could they test. (trading, insurance and stamina).
Many apps and improvements on systems are missing in the demo.

This is good for 3.0

Ship it!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Nicholas posted:

"Doors and airlocks" gets an extra * around its "feature complete" status (2 total).

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My favorite part about the GameStar article is that there's a significant chance that none of it ever sees the light of day.

how much of last years article is in the game

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

Seriously, how is it these assholes are still making bullshots instead of working on a loving game?

I figured you would have read when I called it last year that when your game team is comprised of really good artists and totally incapable programmers, your artists work overtime to fake progress.

However as you know when I called the 3.0 demo lie, when it comes time for the players to actually get this stuff, it is miraculously not playable yet. Because it's not really a game at but a nice cutscene. Sometimes it's multiple cutscenes connected together, possibly by small amounts of gameplay between them that triggers when the player hits an event trigger radius.

It's all very pretty. But it's also pretty deceiving. :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

big nipples big life posted:

remember who is directing the actors performing the mocap animations

Stephen Hawking?

Yeah I know I'm going to hell.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

doingitwrong posted:

I love the implied game design of this trailer. A universe of wrecks, each one unique with stories you can discover about the dead crew. I love thinking about the procedural story system they'd need to make that even slightly work. I'm imagining the mad libs scenarios they'd develop and then run over and over across all these random spawns across all these places.

They should sell backers the possibility that one of *their* names could show up in the stories of these salvage ships. Imagine! Verse immortality? What do you think that would go for.

"I'm." "Captain." "Gil." "I live on this ship and it's fun, but we just hit a." "Asteroid." "And are now crashing. I hope we can make it because I had a good understanding with the." "Stanton Station." "And I look forward to some day buying more DLC."

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I still have no idea what the gently caress Item 2.0 is or what it is supposed to do, I only know that it feels like they've been talking about it and working on it for 3 years now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Nicholas posted:

Completed: 2
Delayed: 7
New Tasks / Refactoring: 3
Remaining: 21
Furthest ETA: Aug 10th

Aug 25th looking good!! After the upcoming Cyclone sale, they will update the end date you see. They forgot to do that this week, as they're so busy. :allears:

Nick, do you have a diff yet? I am on mobile and can't be arsed to do one.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I figured you would have read when I called it last year that when your game team is comprised of really good artists and totally incapable programmers, your artists work overtime to fake progress.

However as you know when I called the 3.0 demo lie, when it comes time for the players to actually get this stuff, it is miraculously not playable yet. Because it's not really a game at but a nice cutscene. Sometimes it's multiple cutscenes connected together, possibly by small amounts of gameplay between them that triggers when the player hits an event trigger radius.

It's all very pretty. But it's also pretty deceiving. :(

Yes, yes, you call it. All of it. We are in agreement.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Have we all called our parents?!!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Saddest Robot posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress Item 2.0 is or what it is supposed to do, I only know that it feels like they've been talking about it and working on it for 3 years now.

I think I've read three different explanations for what it is.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

quote:

It's a system to make the internals of the ships more "realistic". Actual pipes that go through the ship to supply power to components etc. It will also make all internal systems more uniform.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5835j6/what_exactly_is_items_20/

Umm.. Gravity goo? Also it requires CryEngine to be completely rewritten?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

D_Smart posted:

Aug 25th looking good!! After the upcoming Cyclone sale, they will update the end date you see. They forgot to do that this week, as they're so busy. :allears:

Nick, do you have a diff yet? I am on mobile and can't be arsed to do one.

I used the one posted on reddit

https://www.diffchecker.com/91Bl6TQY

and you totally called it lol

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder what they'd say if they knew some of the most vocal and well-known E:D goon griefers are SC true believers and well entrenched already :allears:

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MilesK posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5835j6/what_exactly_is_items_20/

Umm.. Gravity goo? Also it requires CryEngine to be completely rewritten?

Reddit posted:

Nearly everything in the game will be an 'item' of some kind. To achieve the complexity, functionality, and efficient communication between items, they had to rip out the existing entity system in CryEngine, and replace it with their own one, designed specifically for the task of managing 'things' in the game. An item could be a rock, a jacket, a ship, a space station, a scope, a coffee mug.. you get the idea. An item has attributes, slots for other items, specific logic, and a set of actions relevant to the type of item it is. The item system must be able to represent, manage, and manipulate every type of thing in the game, and do it well. It must also handle all of this in beautiful harmony with the networking part of the engine (which is also being gutted and rebuilt because it cannot scale to the needs of an open universe). The system CryEngine comes with didn't meet the requirements, so they ditched it. Item 2.0 is in development and is supposed to partner perfectly with the new StarNetwork module. In the end, what this all means is better performing game code on a much larger scale.

So it is basic core functionality that they turned into a buzzword and spent years not being able to implement.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
It's a slow night, and I've been catching up on various things. Jesus loving Christ, I've just been catching up on the on-going OSC smackdown. That guy is Tier 1 Shitizen aggro

https://reddit.com/u/OldSchoolCmdr/comments

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

Star Citizen really needs to stick with jpegs. Once it starts to grow into gifs and mpgs it really looks bad. :(

With all that motion capture you figure the animation would look good, but it all honestly looks keyframed by hand and just kind of awkward.

It is all keyframed cuz none of the mocap data works in a live environment.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Kromlech
Jun 28, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine how thrilling it'd be to play a pirate in star citizen. After a gripping battle, you're treated to the privilege of manually grabby-handsing 80 crates of loot, one by one.

Truly a game for adrenaline junkies autistic germans.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Couple of interesting points in the GameStar article:

They are trying to downplay the PC spec requirements for the game. Saying they don't want to have the reputation like Crysis, and reiterating that you only need a Quad-core CPU and 2GB GPU. It's almost as if having a reputation that your computer can't run the game is bad for business. Especially when the game does actually run well on lower end systems (netcode aside), it's based on an old engine after all.

The actual big news is that Chris's aim for release is 5 - 10 star systems. Which is the lower end of backers expectations for the MVP. It's going to be fun waiting for the other 90 hand crafted, procedural systems post release if its going to take years just to get five out the door.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Tokamak posted:

Couple of interesting points in the GameStar article:

They are trying to downplay the PC spec requirements for the game. Saying they don't want to have the reputation like Crysis, and reiterating that you only need a Quad-core CPU and 2GB GPU. It's almost as if having a reputation that your computer can't run the game is bad for business. Especially when the game does actually run well on lower end systems (netcode aside), it's based on an old engine after all.

The actual big news is that Chris's aim for release is 5 - 10 star systems. Which is the lower end of backers expectations for the MVP. It's going to be fun waiting for the other 90 hand crafted, procedural systems post release if its going to take years just to get five out the door.

they never said 100 star systems, just 100 systems; they have over 100 planetary, planetoid, and moon systems!!!! they all screeched into the refund subreddit as CIG slow shrinks into a fisher price dollhouse

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You have your crate system, your sandworm system, the furry rabbit sexdoll system, the mop system, theres going to be 100+ at least

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
So many systems all residing in one great big cistern.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

So it is basic core functionality that they turned into a buzzword and spent years not being able to implement.

I read that bit you quoted and thought I'd traveled back in time to when I was starting my computer science degree and getting a lecture on the basics of object orientated programming again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

It's a slow night, and I've been catching up on various things. Jesus loving Christ, I've just been catching up on the on-going OSC smackdown. That guy is Tier 1 Shitizen aggro

https://reddit.com/u/OldSchoolCmdr/comments

Dunno Derek, OSC seems every bit as damaged a person as many of those guys. I mean, he's right, but he has an insufferable way of arguing.