Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

precision posted:

Hey they got Sting!... :smith:

And Flyin' Bryan! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show was really pleasant--not sure how else to describe it. Like I'm not head over heels for it but it's a nice little show that's mostly entertaining and has likable characters (though half the girls were underdeveloped).

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Reinanigans posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if next season was double the length, or switches to an hour long format.

I hope not -- part of why this show was so good was how brisk the episodes were

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

precision posted:

Hey they got Sting!... :smith:

All his teammates turn on him during the fast money round. It was a brutal betrayal.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Finally got around to watching the 2012 documentary on GLOW and holy poo poo can you see all the story beats for the series in there. The characters are all in a blender, but they're there, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SlipkPIe posted:

I hope not -- part of why this show was so good was how brisk the episodes were

I could see them being more lenient on the time, or just upping the order to 13-14 if it gets renewed.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I'm cracking my rear end up at every person who says Alison Brie isn't wearing makeup on this show. She's wearing tons, it's just in natural/neutral colors that make it look like she isn't.

Yes, it's a tiny, petty, ultimately meaningless thing to nitpick. Awesome show. I really loved that little moment at the end when Bash swipes some glitter on his own eyeballs. :swoon:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Not wearing makeup in front of lights required for filming will make you look like a zombie.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 15, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Watched the season a second time and I think I enjoyed it more on a re-watch. The comedy works so much better than on OITNB which helps a lot. Though I'm actually starting to think that basing it on the real promotion of GLOW is just going to hold the show back since in real life it pretty much just fizzled out without much fanfare. I really want to see these ladies work their way up to the big time. Though I guess they've taken enough liberties with it already that they could go in a completely different direction.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Not wearing makeup in front of lights required for filming will make you look like a zombie.

You will also be reflecting those lights like a disco ball after about 3 minutes. That poo poo gets loving HOT.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Just finished up this show last night and loved it. The whole time I kept trying to figure out what felt so refreshing about the show and it finally hit me in episode 6 or 7. Outside of Ruth loving Debbie's husband, none of the drama of the show is really derived from the characters in it being horrible to each other. They're mostly all flawed people in their own ways, but there's not this horrible character to character drama that so many shows these days focus on. Rhonda and Sam's relationship is never a real focus and even ends without any sort of real fall out (it was also great to see her character having a great understanding of that relationship), Bash turns out to be a genuinely caring person, Cherry's marriage is basically perfect, and hell even Ruth basically does everything right in terms of navigating her relationship with Debbie after the affair.

It was just cool as hell to watch 10 episodes of a show where people aren't just constantly being poo poo to each other in order to create drama.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Stage acting has taught me makeup is best left to the makeup artists, because as an actor I'll be the first to say actors are stupid and will end up treading towards being vampires or wearing almost blackface if left to their own makeup.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ouhei posted:

Just finished up this show last night and loved it. The whole time I kept trying to figure out what felt so refreshing about the show and it finally hit me in episode 6 or 7. Outside of Ruth loving Debbie's husband, none of the drama of the show is really derived from the characters in it being horrible to each other. They're mostly all flawed people in their own ways, but there's not this horrible character to character drama that so many shows these days focus on. Rhonda and Sam's relationship is never a real focus and even ends without any sort of real fall out (it was also great to see her character having a great understanding of that relationship), Bash turns out to be a genuinely caring person, Cherry's marriage is basically perfect, and hell even Ruth basically does everything right in terms of navigating her relationship with Debbie after the affair.

It was just cool as hell to watch 10 episodes of a show where people aren't just constantly being poo poo to each other in order to create drama.

I dunno, people are constantly being lovely towards each other, they just sort of get over it and move on, though, like adults. The best part is when they cliffhanger the stolen camera as some major dramatic moment and absolutely nothing comes of it other than "well that was a dumb thing to do".

Bash is also really good, it's super rare to have that kind of smarmy trust fund kid just be a genuinely nice guy who's really passionate. Even if they do go a bit overboard with the cocaine and eccentric future house just because it's a period piece.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Phenotype posted:

I dunno why they didn't just make it a straight-up comedy.

After watching the documentary I'm amazed they didn't go with a lot more depressing drama with this show.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hakkesshu posted:

I dunno, people are constantly being lovely towards each other, they just sort of get over it and move on, though, like adults. The best part is when they cliffhanger the stolen camera as some major dramatic moment and absolutely nothing comes of it other than "well that was a dumb thing to do".

Bash is also really good, it's super rare to have that kind of smarmy trust fund kid just be a genuinely nice guy who's really passionate. Even if they do go a bit overboard with the cocaine and eccentric future house just because it's a period piece.

Yeah, I didn't mean to say no one was lovely, because they were. Just that those events weren't treated as main plot points for the most part and were resolved without much issue/screen time. In other shows stuff lie the camera being stolen would have been a whole episode, or Ruth would have done some really dumb poo poo like putting herself in the middle of Debbie and her husband trying to mend things (or decided to keep the baby). There were several points where I figured they'd have the characters do something dumb to create tension/drama but the person went for the more adult/mature action.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, the two most immature characters are the obvious ones: Melrose and Justine. Justine because she's literally a teenager whose biggest concerns are abandonment issues and being worried she'll choke while giving a blowjob and Melrose because she's a loving trainwreck of arrested development issues.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's a show about a bunch of really flawed people coming together- there's a warmth and generosity to it. Debbie's husband is the only real bad guy in the thing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Bash's future house was worth it just for Carmen going "Thank you!" in robot voice. :allears:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hakkesshu posted:

It was really refreshing to have Bash be the guy who tells Sam "no" to his Wrath of Kuntar script and basically be right, as opposed to some clueless producer who doesn't understand the creative mind. Yeah, he's still all in on gimmicks inspired by harmful stereotypes, but that was the 80s for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I watched the pilot of the original GLOW on youtube after seeing this show and not only is it more amateurish than how they made it look, it's even more stereotypical

There's a terrorist woman wearing a hijab called PALESTINA

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show was really pleasant--not sure how else to describe it. Like I'm not head over heels for it but it's a nice little show that's mostly entertaining and has likable characters (though half the girls were underdeveloped).

Yeah. It was good, I'd watch more.

Felt kinda weird that ALL of the promo materials for the show showed characters that you never actually see though

• Locked thread