Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure literally everyone is team rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Neat. The Splatfest power system is back but it places you after you play 7 matches. I wonder if it will be that way in the full game.

Edit: you don't get money for winning matches in the demo. You won't be buying gear so it makes sense nothing carries over.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

grand theft grotto posted:

Neat. The Splatfest power system is back but it places you after you play 7 matches. I wonder if it will be that way in the full game.

Edit: you don't get money for winning matches in the demo. You won't be buying gear so it makes sense nothing carries over.

All I wanted to do was change into some other headgear. Everyone wearing the same headband isn't fresh at all.

Keep getting matched into Pop vs. Pop matches.

Edit: Also, it seems it's purposefully matching people close by, so even if it's the JP Splatfest all the teams are mostly English.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

wow this game is, hard! i'm getting smashed by people who seem to know how to properly control the tilt controls

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm getting people from all over the world! Lots of "nameJP," the goon-favorite "nameJAP," and various different alphabets (some German and Russian names thrown in there.) probably like a 1:10 non-Japanese to Japanese ratio, hah.

Servers are rock solid, too. Thank god. I was worried after Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Are you supposed to be able to get in the opponents area in the Art place by jumping off the sculpture? It feels like it shouldn't work, but it's not particularly hard to do.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

squid yea moray towers just came into rotation :>>>

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.
I think ink rails are an amazing addition to Splatoon multiplayer and makes Moray Towers a lot more fun than the original. Playing with only two main abilities is really jarring though.

Owers fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 15, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Playing the Japanese splatfest and I have no idea what I'm doing but this is Hella fun and I'm loving it.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Zoran posted:

Death to the cake eaters

I'M STIIIIIIIILLLLL IN A DREEEEEEEAAAAAM
CAKE EATER

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Beelerzebub posted:

I'M STIIIIIIIILLLLL IN A DREEEEEEEAAAAAM
CAKE EATER

I wanted to make a spoof video of that intro sequence called "Snack Eater" with a big fat Naked Snake when that game came out, but "Cake Eater" sounds much better.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Frankston posted:

Playing the Japanese splatfest and I have no idea what I'm doing but this is Hella fun and I'm loving it.

*shella fun

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
I'm reconsidering my purchase of Splatoon 2 after this splatfest. I only played the last 40 minutes but I definitely wasn't having fun. Most matches I pretty much got instantly killed by guys with dual splats before I even realized someone was there. I got maybe two kills per round. And the matchmaking took forever. I think between being killed and the matchmaking I played only 15 out of those 40 minutes. I'll try the EU splatfest later tonight but the game's gone from a must-buy to a maybe for me.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Ended up at 88/99 for Pop. A few matches got dropped, but considering it's a demo and I'm playing the JP Splatfest it's not too surprising.

Also, the most important thing (Plaza photo spoiler'd in case you want to wait for your Splatfest):

:3:

pichupal fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 15, 2017

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

da beeper king BABY posted:

there's no excuse for not eating ice cream cake

Fixed.

Ice cream is clearly better than cake but the internet hates Pearl so I'm going with the underdog because I want quicker matchmaking times.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 15, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I liked this Splatfest quite a bit. I can't stay plugged into many games for 4 hours straight these days. Of course, I'm pretty new to Splatoon; I bought the first one but sold it within 10-15 hours of play because I just couldn't get comfortable wielding the giant Gamepad around. Pro controller and (especially) split Joy-cons fixes that.

I think my favorite thing was how the plaza got neon decorated in everyone's miiverse-esque posts.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is there a good writeup for tips for new players on how to play (like how to best take/hold territory, how to make best use of weapons) and how the motion controls work? I love the game but it's super-clear when there's an experienced guy on the other team.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"

Pierson posted:

Is there a good writeup for tips for new players on how to play (like how to best take/hold territory, how to make best use of weapons) and how the motion controls work? I love the game but it's super-clear when there's an experienced guy on the other team.

Do what I plan to do, paint all the ground and run to others to do the killing for me!

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
About having an account from a separate region: does that mean you could theoretically join different Splatfests when the full game comes out or no?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think the real question is do you have to rebuy the game to play in different regions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty sure ownership doesn't transfer over regions, and not over the separate accounts required to download in different regions. So if you want to play in US, JP, and EU you need to buy the game 3 times.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Well dang.

e: looks like Team Rock won

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 15, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Rock wins!

Score system is Popularity, Solo Matches, and Team Matches. So one point per victory, for 2-1 total.

151-149 by old ranking system, which is really close.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Pierson posted:

Well there's a couple of things about squid form. Remember to jump while climbing walls to go up faster, while in squid form using a subweapon causes you to very briefly pop into kid form so you can use that for hit and runs if you're not comfortable with what you're facing and you have momentum as a squid, but if you release the button and hit it immediately you can shift directions faster. Oh and in the initial bit of the round ink towards the enemy base, you can do your own after you get splatted and check the icons on screen to see the status of your enemies and your team.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Pierson posted:

https://youtu.be/_YC8vhdRWB4

Not a write-up, and it's really long, but it's definitely informative. I'd be willing to bet most of it will remain relevant in 2.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blank Construct posted:

Well dang.

e: looks like Team Rock won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY

Pierson posted:

Check your map every so often, make sure there isn't some cheeky little poo poo running behind your team undoing all your hard work. If you're gonna run with something that includes Tenta Missiles, jump back to the Spawn Point first so you're in a nice safe spot that affords you an angle that'll likely hit all four Bad Guys.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I didn't know it was so easy to make an account in a different region, time to lag up some EU matches

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

pichupal posted:

Rock wins!

Score system is Popularity, Solo Matches, and Team Matches. So one point per victory, for 2-1 total.

This is a good system. Unfortunately that also means no more crushing victories. Oh well.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

pichupal posted:

Rock wins!

Solo matches? How is that tracked?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Denim Avenger posted:

Solo matches? How is that tracked?

There are separate matchmaking pools for people who jump in solo and for people who jump in as a team of four. If you and your three friends queue together you'll only ever see other four-stacks.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

I hope they make that less rigid down the line. I only have one friend that owns a Switch and is also interested in Splatoon 2, so it will be a bit annoying to try to be on the same team.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Anyone know how much mobile data this takes up? About to embark on a 4 hour coach ride that coincides with the European splat fest and it would be kickin' rad if I could pass the ride playing splatoon.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is there no option to play with 1 or 2 friends during a Splatfest? Does it have to be either solo or a full team?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

You can adjust the pitch of the music on the "Waiting for players" screen with the left stick :allears:

...and it's already Ice Cream vs Ice Cream :smith:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

jetpackhewy posted:

I hope they make that less rigid down the line. I only have one friend that owns a Switch and is also interested in Splatoon 2, so it will be a bit annoying to try to be on the same team.

Dugong posted:

Is there no option to play with 1 or 2 friends during a Splatfest? Does it have to be either solo or a full team?

I'm only going by what I read on the Splatoon Tumblr, which seemed to indicate that a full squad of four squids was required. Splatoon 1 accommodated two or three player lobbies outside of splatfests and I have no reason to believe Splatoon 2 is gonna be different.

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 15, 2017

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm grouchy that I'm going to be working during the US Splatfest. And I'm a manager so I can't just call in sick.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Frankston posted:

Anyone know how much mobile data this takes up? About to embark on a 4 hour coach ride that coincides with the European splat fest and it would be kickin' rad if I could pass the ride playing splatoon.

Online multi-player games bandwidth tend to take very little space as long as you dont download new assets or patches.

I would not be surprised to see 4 hours straight only take up a quarter of a gigabyte.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So quick question, can we do 4 player party up for this one? I'm up for joining a group in USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be letting a few of my Switchless friends try out splatoon during this 'fest so I wouldn't be a good teammate this go-around, but during the real splatfests I am down