Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Option to upload all, upload flagged, upload flagged plus configurable period before after?

I'd pay a lot more than I've paid so far for dashcams for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So the A119C is the recommended dash cam? Where is a reliable place to procure one?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

spog posted:

If you could make it so that if you press a button on the dashcam and it posts the last 30seconds straight to Facebook/Twitter along with an emoji, then i would probably invest in your company with my life savings.

Wouldn't be that hard actually. With a bit of setup on a phone app perhaps to link it, I don't see why this would be an issue.
One of the cameras I made in the past had a continual, configurable buffer for up to.. 2 minutes-ish. That was back before ram was dirt cheap.
The logic is still good though.

Krakkles posted:

Option to upload all, upload flagged, upload flagged plus configurable period before after?

I'd pay a lot more than I've paid so far for dashcams for this.

Depends on what you mean by flagged?

edit*

I am talking to my friend who I work extensively with, he thinks the 6-month timeline would be easily doable.

Any other features people find lacking in dash cams?

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 12, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

spog posted:

https://techinternets.com/copy_calc?do - have a play with the numbers, but you aren't going to dump an entire card in a hurry.

Also, I am jealous if you have wifi in your garage.

Don't be. My house is small, so I can cover the entire drat thing with one AP stuck high up in the garage.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Something happens, push a button, most cameras lock the file. I'd look at it as both a lock and a flag - this file should be uploaded. I'd add configurability to say "I also want the <x> minutes leading up to or after", as well.

In terms of other features, I know this is an existing thing, but put in a parking mode that records video when an impact is detected? Motion maybe, but if you park on the street or the sensitivity is wrong, it gets absurd.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't be. My house is small, so I can cover the entire drat thing with one AP stuck high up in the garage.

#FirstWorldProblems My wifi signal won't reach the servants quarters.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Something happens, push a button, most cameras lock the file. I'd look at it as both a lock and a flag - this file should be uploaded. I'd add configurability to say "I also want the <x> minutes leading up to or after", as well.

In terms of other features, I know this is an existing thing, but put in a parking mode that records video when an impact is detected? Motion maybe, but if you park on the street or the sensitivity is wrong, it gets absurd.

The GPS-enabled cameras with speed might sometimes also flag hard braking. The Blackvue DR550GW definitely does.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Couldn't you just do the deltas and only upload new items?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm getting a bit fed up with my Genius DVR-HD500D. It's a front-and-rear dashcam with a display, it records both the front and rear simultaneously, and the rear cam plugs into the dashcam using what looks like a normal headphone jack. What I want to know is, can I buy a front cam from someone else that would accept the video feed from that rear cam? Like is it a normal standard thing, or is it gonna be proprietary and only work with the Genius? The reason I ask is I'd really like to avoid de-wiring all the wiring work I did to get it set up: I've got the rear cam bolted through the headliner with tiny bolts, the wiring running under the headliner from rear to front, and all the excess wire hidden.

Failing that, my main gripes with the Genius are: I already had to replace the battery (which could only be bought on aliexpress), the window mount keeps falling off, it gets a ton of noise interference from my alternator (which might be my car and not the cam, admittedly), and now it's just apparently eaten a 32GB SanDisk card after like 1.5 years' use. Also the "night vision" mode is just turning on four front-mounted white LEDs, which is completely, totally 100% useless in a dashcam. Also I think it's not quite a wide enough field of view (130 degrees) - I'd prefer a bit wider, or else mount an extra inch or two back, or something.

The usual recommendation is the A119C but I want front & rear recording, a realtime video display, and - this may be asking for too much, but - significantly better build quality and longevity. I'd be OK paying $200+ for a dashcam if it's substantially better quality.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

Like is it a normal standard thing, or is it gonna be proprietary and only work with the Genius?

Proprietary

E: Well, it's probably just power, ground, and a video signal (either composite analog, or some sort of digital signal). If it's just composite, it's not necessarily non-adaptable, but most dashcams aren't going to support plugging in a second cam, and if they do it's probably not going to be the right plug for what you've got. But maybe you'll get lucky? :shobon:

Leperflesh posted:

it gets a ton of noise interference from my alternator (which might be my car and not the cam, admittedly)

Might also be the cheap-rear end USB power supply it comes with. If you wired it with a removable USB cable, you might try a name-brand USB charger rather than whatever bottom-dollar thing (I assume) it came with.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 13, 2017

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

Wouldn't be that hard actually. With a bit of setup on a phone app perhaps to link it, I don't see why this would be an issue.
One of the cameras I made in the past had a continual, configurable buffer for up to.. 2 minutes-ish. That was back before ram was dirt cheap.
The logic is still good though.

edit*

I am talking to my friend who I work extensively with, he thinks the 6-month timeline would be easily doable.

Any other features people find lacking in dash cams?

Something that records at least front/rear and uses common control/memory. Having a single brain that you could connect multiple cameras to would greatly simplify data collection and upload.

Maybe the possibility to expand to side cameras as well, so you can catch when some jackass tries to merge in to you and such.

Hell, making it so you have a common control/storage would allow you to reduce of the size of individual cameras significantly, which would give more options for mounting in more useful areas.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I'm getting a bit fed up with my Genius DVR-HD500D. It's a front-and-rear dashcam with a display, it records both the front and rear simultaneously, and the rear cam plugs into the dashcam using what looks like a normal headphone jack. What I want to know is, can I buy a front cam from someone else that would accept the video feed from that rear cam? Like is it a normal standard thing, or is it gonna be proprietary and only work with the Genius? The reason I ask is I'd really like to avoid de-wiring all the wiring work I did to get it set up: I've got the rear cam bolted through the headliner with tiny bolts, the wiring running under the headliner from rear to front, and all the excess wire hidden.

Failing that, my main gripes with the Genius are: I already had to replace the battery (which could only be bought on aliexpress), the window mount keeps falling off, it gets a ton of noise interference from my alternator (which might be my car and not the cam, admittedly), and now it's just apparently eaten a 32GB SanDisk card after like 1.5 years' use. Also the "night vision" mode is just turning on four front-mounted white LEDs, which is completely, totally 100% useless in a dashcam. Also I think it's not quite a wide enough field of view (130 degrees) - I'd prefer a bit wider, or else mount an extra inch or two back, or something.

The usual recommendation is the A119C but I want front & rear recording, a realtime video display, and - this may be asking for too much, but - significantly better build quality and longevity. I'd be OK paying $200+ for a dashcam if it's substantially better quality.

Can't comment on reusing the rear camera but Street Guardian is close to releasing a dual camera model, SG9663DC. They're generally regarded as having the best support on dashcam talk forums, and the developer actively posts there.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

MikeyTsi posted:

Something that records at least front/rear and uses common control/memory. Having a single brain that you could connect multiple cameras to would greatly simplify data collection and upload.

Maybe the possibility to expand to side cameras as well, so you can catch when some jackass tries to merge in to you and such.

Hell, making it so you have a common control/storage would allow you to reduce of the size of individual cameras significantly, which would give more options for mounting in more useful areas.

This is how my K1S works. The front and rear cameras connect to the DVR via microUSB. No idea if you'd be able to swap them for any other camera that uses the same interface, might be interesting. But yeah, it does mean that the cameras themselves are much smaller than most dash cams. Even people that know I have a dashcam have trouble finding it behind the rear view mirror. Can't do side cameras though. The DVR is a little box that sits in the glovebox, files are named the same with a _1 or _2 after the name it to indicate which camera it came from. It's not without its issues, the audio is terrible, it's not great at night, it's extremely picky with memory cards, and it seems like a not insignificant number of people have reported their DVRs dying/glitching out and having to get them replaced (I also recently had the video apparently cut out at the moment of impact during an accident, I'm still not sure if the impact caused the skip or not but it could be an issue). The Dashcam Talk review is pretty much spot on.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Hrm, not a bad idea. We could use USB-C along with the imx6 processor to handle up to 4 cameras and stitch all 4 of them together during recording. What do you guys think?

CharlesM posted:

Can't comment on reusing the rear camera but Street Guardian is close to releasing a dual camera model, SG9663DC. They're generally regarded as having the best support on dashcam talk forums, and the developer actively posts there.

Interesting, I will look into them. Shame about the garbo processor though. I can't find any information on it so I am assuming a DSP or a chineese part.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raluek posted:

Proprietary

E: Well, it's probably just power, ground, and a video signal (either composite analog, or some sort of digital signal). If it's just composite, it's not necessarily non-adaptable, but most dashcams aren't going to support plugging in a second cam, and if they do it's probably not going to be the right plug for what you've got. But maybe you'll get lucky? :shobon:
It is definitely just power, ground, and a video signal. I had the thing open a couple months ago - my wife accidentally broke it loading something in the back (I have a hatchback) and I had to re-solder all three leads back onto the tiny tiny circuit board. The issue is more whether the video signal itself would be compatible, because I can attach whatever plug it wants I guess.

quote:

Might also be the cheap-rear end USB power supply it comes with. If you wired it with a removable USB cable, you might try a name-brand USB charger rather than whatever bottom-dollar thing (I assume) it came with.

It just had a cigarette lighter dongle (no USB) on the power end) which I tore open and then soldered the power leads into a couple spare spots in the fuse box under the drivers side. Easy enough to remove but I didn't have a replacement handy. I'm guessing some kind of rectifier or filter or something would fix the issue.

CharlesM posted:

That sounds interesting! Especially having access to the developer. Thanks for the recommendation.
e. This dashcam includes GPS data logging in all recordings.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 13, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

You mean that there are dashcams with wifi and that’s not what they use it for? :psyduck:

Mine will show you a near-live image on the phone so you can make sure it's aimed properly. Can't remember if it does anything else, but it certainly doesn't card-dump to a home network.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ratbert90 posted:

Hrm, not a bad idea. We could use USB-C along with the imx6 processor to handle up to 4 cameras and stitch all 4 of them together during recording. What do you guys think?

Separating the camera from the brains would definitely be nice in a multi-camera setup, and I'm definitely in favor of USB-C as the interface. That would also allow for other forms of expansion, like OBD2, or GPS for those who consider it worth the risk.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Has anyone heard much about the Goluk T2 cameras? Can't find too much information about them online, but I really like the form factor.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ratbert90 posted:

I think this is a fantastic idea and is something that would probably convince me to actually spend money on a decent setup.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

That sounds interesting! Especially having access to the developer. Thanks for the recommendation.

The GPS is an external unit and you don't have to use it. Unfortunately everything is in one thread on dashcamtalk forums and includes many many off topic posts so it's kind of hard to sort through. The product is not out yet, so any product page may not be final spec.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CharlesM posted:

The GPS is an external unit and you don't have to use it. Unfortunately everything is in one thread on dashcamtalk forums and includes many many off topic posts so it's kind of hard to sort through. The product is not out yet, so any product page may not be final spec.

Ah, I see. The product page doesn't make that clear (and lists a price of $499, which... yikes!). Since I don't want that feature, though, I'd rather not pay for it, and... yeah, $200 or so seems OK, $500 is way too much.

It also claims the included 64gb high endurance SD card is a $90 value, which lol.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

It just had a cigarette lighter dongle (no USB) on the power end) which I tore open and then soldered the power leads into a couple spare spots in the fuse box under the drivers side. Easy enough to remove but I didn't have a replacement handy. I'm guessing some kind of rectifier or filter or something would fix the issue.

If it's just USB on the camera end, you might experiment with a high quality cig lighter phone charger with a discrete USB cable, just plug it in without routing the cable or anything to see if the noise goes away. But yeah, a big capacitor should act as a decent enough low pass filter, might be worth sticking one across the power input to see if that fixes your existing supply.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raluek posted:

If it's just USB on the camera end, you might experiment with a high quality cig lighter phone charger with a discrete USB cable, just plug it in without routing the cable or anything to see if the noise goes away. But yeah, a big capacitor should act as a decent enough low pass filter, might be worth sticking one across the power input to see if that fixes your existing supply.

Thanks. I'll fiddle a bit. What exactly constitutes a "big" capacitor? Like, in terms of microfarads or whatever... I've got tons of them lying around from various poo poo so I can probably find something appropriate.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

every camera I have used with GPS has the option of displaying Coordinates, speed, or nothing.

I keep the GPS disabled unless Im doing a track day :v:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Ah, I see. The product page doesn't make that clear (and lists a price of $499, which... yikes!). Since I don't want that feature, though, I'd rather not pay for it, and... yeah, $200 or so seems OK, $500 is way too much.

It also claims the included 64gb high endurance SD card is a $90 value, which lol.

That's Australian dollars but yeah still is a lot.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks. I'll fiddle a bit. What exactly constitutes a "big" capacitor? Like, in terms of microfarads or whatever... I've got tons of them lying around from various poo poo so I can probably find something appropriate.

Like 4700uF I'd guess? Try whatever you've got laying around and see if it helps :shobon:

E: Make sure it's rated for at least 20V! I wouldn't feel safe using a 16V cap for "12V" automotive.

I wonder if a clamp-on ferrite deal would help too. I've never used one, but people seem to think they help. Just winging it here, so grain of salt and all that.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 14, 2017

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey guys;

I am writing up an engineering specification for the dash cam right now.

Currently, for connectivity features, I have:
Wireless
- Bluetooth 4.2
- 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4ghz/5ghz
- Wifi Direct
Wireless will support:
- AP/WPA-E/WPA2 and WPS setup.

Wired
- USB-C

Other
9-axsis Accelerometer/Compass/Gyroscope module.
MicroSD card reader.

Software Features:
- Automatic sync to a NAS when connected to a pre-defined wireless network.
- User-configurable buffer up to whatever I figure out is the max.
- One push button to automatically upload the user-configurable buffer to Facebook/Twitter (to start) using your cell phone to do so.
- Automatically flag recordings to prevent them from being overwritten in the case of a sudden shock. (User defined)
- Any LED's will be user configurable to turn off or on.
- RTSP capabilities.
- Easy to configure using a web-interface (Android/iOS apps to follow after release)
- Standardized JSON-based API to write your own applets if you so desire.

I don't think an LCD screen is necessary for a first gen product. Especially since you will be able to
view the camera using any standard player that supports RTSP. This will reduce cost, both in engineering
and to the consumer.

I will also be using an automotive grade CPU to help prevent heat death.

For the second product, I really like the idea of having a central black box to record too that can be placed anywhere in the car.
That black box will have 4 USB-C ports on it that will allow you to connect up to 4 Dash cams, and stitch the video feeds together
before saving them.

As a side note:
If anybody is concerned about a IOT dashcam and security, I would agree with you. That's why all of these products will be running
Embedded Linux (I'm an embedded Linux engineer), with SELinux, and LibreSSL to start. I take great pride in making network connected
things as secure as they can be. I will also have a guaranteed 4 month product update cycle at a minimum, and any major CVE's will be patched
as soon as possible.

Anything else to add would be greatly appreciated!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ratbert90 posted:

Anything else to add would be greatly appreciated!

Supercap (no batteries!) to allow for graceful shutdown when power is cut, and also not require an always-on power source. I assume it will be USB powered like most things?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

Supercap (no batteries!) to allow for graceful shutdown when power is cut, and also not require an always-on power source. I assume it will be USB powered like most things?

Hrm, not a bad idea. It will indeed be USB powered. If I can get away with it I would like to not have a battery in the device if possible.
Extreme temperatures make batteries poo poo, and it makes customers poo poo all over you if the battery dies in 6 months even though
they leave the thing on with the windows closed in 120F temps.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
In fact, would it be a good idea to just make a thread about this?

I don't want to poo poo up this thread. :unsmith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either or, I'm very interested

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If you actually get that made, it will be a literal industry changer. There will be entire social media accounts dedicated to dash cam daily uploads.

I love you

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

- 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4ghz/5ghz

If you're going to support 5 GHz, why not add 802.11ac? I know it's a bit finicky, but it has the potential to have much higher transfer speeds.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you're going to support 5 GHz, why not add 802.11ac? I know it's a bit finicky, but it has the potential to have much higher transfer speeds.

Cost. I can get a module that supports a/b/g/n and bt 4.1 that doesn't have to be FCC certified.

I can't do that with ac (yet)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:catstare:

I guess I assumed FCC certification was required no matter what.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I wonder if being able to support sata, compact flash, or even standard SD might be a better idea than microSD, especially when you're talking about recording multiple HD capable video streams at a resolution that would be useful for most scenarios.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MikeyTsi posted:

I wonder if being able to support sata, compact flash, or even standard SD might be a better idea than microSD, especially when you're talking about recording multiple HD capable video streams at a resolution that would be useful for most scenarios.

When you can get a 256GB microSD, that seems kind of unnecessary? The only reason I could see significantly changing the interface is if you are writing so much data that you'd saturate the ~800mbps the card can do, but at even modest compression rates that should be fine.

Or am I talking out my rear end? :shrug: I just don't forsee exceeding the capabilities of microSD with what amounts to a cell phone camera, even if you have a few

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:catstare:

I guess I assumed FCC certification was required no matter what.

Fun fact: If it's a canned module that's already been FCC certified, you don't have to certify it. That saves me over 10,000$ right there.

Raluek posted:

When you can get a 256GB microSD, that seems kind of unnecessary? The only reason I could see significantly changing the interface is if you are writing so much data that you'd saturate the ~800mbps the card can do, but at even modest compression rates that should be fine.

Or am I talking out my rear end? :shrug: I just don't forsee exceeding the capabilities of microSD with what amounts to a cell phone camera, even if you have a few

Correct. I think I will leave the sata interface to the black box product.

I think I will make a new thread.

EDIT:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827126

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 16, 2017

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Made a nice drive this past Sunday morning in the Eastern Highland Rim around Center Hill Lake in eastern middle Tennessee. The video is from my Dod Tech LS470W+ cam, in the original 1920x1080x30fps. I have the audio turned off, so no sound.

I love to find hilly curvy 2-lane roads to nowhere. Here is 23 minutes of two of them (TN 96 and TN 141) made primarily to demonstrate the quality of the video from the cam.

https://youtu.be/WxWB23YHeXk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So a third party was selling this cam in used - good condition for a nickel with free shipping. It shipped last night. Is there a scam I am not seeing or did I just have someone mail me some anthrax?