Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

are the kingdom hearts games good if you aren't into disney characters?
Not really, most of the appeal IMO is seeing Disney characters interpreted through the jrpg lens. I never found the FF fan service to be nearly as fun and you can't get poo poo out of the narrative without being crazy about it. The gameplay isn't great either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

past the first one which was all disney all the time they're basically disney-themed final fantasy games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

There are already people making those lovely "don't move" levels for Mega Man Maker............................... :oh:

Nice, they ruined it before I even heard of it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Doorknob Slobber posted:

It's a confusing as hell "plot" throughout and the gameplay/feel of the first one may put you off before you even really get going. most of Sora's moves have to be earned and he controls really poorly until you get some, and even then the game looks really kiddy but is also entirely capable of cheap bullshit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mordja posted:

I think I'd be down for a plateau in graphical fidelity if it meant getting rid of stuff like texture/model pop-in and LOD scaling. I find that stuff way distracting.

I'm not sure we're ever gonna get rid of that because of software bloat always being ahead of hardware capacity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
KH1 is a really heartwarming story that follows the typical hero's journey and then almost every single aspect of it (if not *every* single aspect of it) gets retconned by future titles into this massively overcomplex shitheap of a plot with some neat gameplay and good music

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if you don't mind the fact that nearly every world you go through is disney themed, and long cutscenes are either kiddy disney stuff or convoluted exposition... i guess the core action gameplay can be pretty fun and it's fine if you completely ignore the story.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I gave up on kingdom hearts after fighting Cerberus in the first one cause Sora controlled like crap and I didn't really want to do another gummi ship minigame. I was told to just jump to the second game but I'm not even sure it'd be worth it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why the hell can't we get another good AVP game!? The last decent one came out literally 16 years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

Why the hell can't we get another good AVP game!? The last decent one came out literally 16 years ago.

Predator Concrete Jungle is legit good but no alien and also only on console.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

KH1 is a really heartwarming story that follows the typical hero's journey and then almost every single aspect of it (if not *every* single aspect of it) gets retconned by future titles into this massively overcomplex shitheap of a plot with some neat gameplay and good music

I judge, I judge very much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

al-azad posted:

Predator Concrete Jungle is legit good but no alien and also only on console.

There is a alien.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

There is a alien.

spoilers!

I should finish that game.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

spoilers

its not good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

imagine being these people

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

an actual dog posted:

I'm not sure these aren't bots attempting her to write the worst possible songs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

an actual dog posted:

I wonder if you can. No need for greed or hunger, a brotherhood of man. Imagine all the people sharing all the world.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

RIP Lurdiak. We had too many rangers anyway. :911:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

...oh. I guess I had Lurdiak saved twice in my character pool. Welcome back! :psyduck:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiaks never truly die.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

all i know about eromanga sensei is what people have said about it which is "it's by the author of Oreimo" and "it goes exactly where you think it does"

i have not seen oreimo but i know in the old zorak era of ADTRW even talking about it would get you probated i think (zorak was overcompensating for how little chill there was at the time and how much handwringing there was over every problematic element of each scene of each episode of each anime of each season)

the "my sister is _____!" thing has died off a bit but there's still like one series every other season that tries that poo poo

it's been overtaken by every fourth anime being about a nerd who gets trapped in an MMO

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 16, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Lurdiaks never truly die.

I mean, one did very much.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

all i know about eromanga sensei is what people have said about it which is "it's by the author of Oreimo" and "it goes exactly where you think it does"

i have not seen oreimo but i know in the old zorak era of ADTRW even talking about it would get you probated i think (zorak was overcompensating for how little chill there was at the time and how much handwringing there was over every problematic element of each scene of each episode of each anime of each season)

the "my sister is _____!" thing has died off a bit but there's still like one series every other season that tries that poo poo

it's been overtaken by every fourth anime being about a nerd who gets trapped in an MMO

Nice.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Quest For Glory II posted:

"Help! I'm trapped in Playstation HOME!"

There's a conga line of people behind me that haven't loaded in yet and at least two of them are holding Subway sandwiches.

One of them may very well BE a Subway sandwich.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's a good video game for me to play ??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Mega Maker.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mega Man is so much nothing to me. I have no history with it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

If you want something like Mega Man but modern and indie, try Copy Kitty then!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you want something like Mega Man but modern and indie, try Copy Kitty then!

They are nothing alike other than shooting lasers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

They are nothing alike other than shooting lasers.

Ehhh I disagree, but okay.

Play Shovel Knight, it's also modern and indie and Megaman-y. And very good!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The gameplay is still fun I think but I can't imagine what else you'd get out of it if you aren't into Disney. It's the entire appeal of the games.

Although if you don't like the idea of hanging out in the 100 Acre Woods with Winnie the Pooh you can go straight to hell :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jay Rust posted:

angels with scaly wings.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

I had a Master System instead of a NES so I missed a whole lot of cool games. I only got to play the OG Megaman with The Wily Wars on the Genesis. :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Samuringa posted:

I had a Master System instead of a NES so I missed a whole lot of cool games. I only got to play the OG Megaman with The Wily Wars on the Genesis. :(

Man that game is like K-mart Mega Man.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I gave up on kingdom hearts after fighting Cerberus in the first one cause Sora controlled like crap and I didn't really want to do another gummi ship minigame. I was told to just jump to the second game but I'm not even sure it'd be worth it.
Yeah both of those are problems though they're a bit alleviated later in the game. After the first few worlds you get an unlock so you don't have to repeat gummi ship levels anymore, and Sora continues to get better and easier to play as you unlock more moves. Still it's the most awkward of the series in a few ways. I wouldn't worry about doing them in any particular order though since the story interplay is a trash fire. If you have to pick only one then I'm guessing BBS is probably the best choice.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What were people's First Video Game?

Mario World here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ducks ahoy on colecovision

• Locked thread