Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Unordinary's world is like some bizarre version of the My Hero Academia world where everyone is not only allowed, but encouraged to constantly fight using their quirks and dominate those weaker than them.

It is a wonder their society functions at all.

That's actually where it gets really interesting. There's this ever-looming threat of 'the authorities' over people that keeps them in line but there's this undercurrent about "What if?"

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/unordinary/episode-50/viewer?title_no=679&episode_no=53

There's cracks in the society and I'm sure that the titular book that's been banned actually exposes and widens those cracks in a way that 'the authorities' didn't like. Which makes me all the more intrigued about it.

I'm curious what'll happen once John's power is revealed - right now he's playing the underdog card pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

khy posted:

I'm curious what'll happen once John's power is revealed - right now he's playing the underdog card pretty well.

Well, that escalated quickly.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Ytlaya posted:

Unordinary's world is like some bizarre version of the My Hero Academia world where everyone is not only allowed, but encouraged to constantly fight using their quirks and dominate those weaker than them.

It is a wonder their society functions at all.

There's been some implications thus far that it functions because the whole highschool grinding each other down and petties fights over status is entirely crafted by the people in charge to ensure that no one questions what they could really do with their powers.

I like Unordinary but it's not like, the best comic evil.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I finally got around to starting Noblesse and it's hilarious / fun.

Good job, good job.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bernardo Orel posted:

Well, that escalated quickly.

I'll say. John fighting back was not unexpected.

The level of viciousness displayed between the wind blades, the impalement, and letting some girl fall to her possible death? WAY more than I anticipated. I almost wonder if his power is more intricate than mere copying, and there's more going on like some level of illusion or something that lets him attack and defend without worrying about accidentally killing someone?

khy fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I'll say. John fighting back was not unexpected.

The level of viciousness displayed between the wind blades, the impalement, and letting some girl fall to her possible death? WAY more than I anticipated. I almost wonder if his power is more intricate than mere copying, and there's more going on like some level of illusion or something that lets him attack and defend without worrying about accidentally killing someone?

If I had to guess, I'd say that his ability is just copying stuff, but stronger. There seemed to be some emphasis on the fact that he was using the same abilities, but stronger/better than their original holders. It's the only thing that would really explain how he was able to defeat a whole class of people or whatever (since if it was just regular copying it wouldn't make much sense for him to be better than a crowd of people with the same abilities).

I gotta say I'm a little confused by John's characterization. Like, the extent to which he flips from "totally passive, nothing ruffles him" to completely losing his poo poo isn't really normal. I feel like something interesting could be done with this (if he was actually portrayed as having some sort of serious flaws/issues, rather than this just being a "the nice guy was pushed too far" situation), but I'm not sure if I trust the author to successfully take that angle.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ytlaya posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that his ability is just copying stuff, but stronger. There seemed to be some emphasis on the fact that he was using the same abilities, but stronger/better than their original holders. It's the only thing that would really explain how he was able to defeat a whole class of people or whatever (since if it was just regular copying it wouldn't make much sense for him to be better than a crowd of people with the same abilities).

I gotta say I'm a little confused by John's characterization. Like, the extent to which he flips from "totally passive, nothing ruffles him" to completely losing his poo poo isn't really normal. I feel like something interesting could be done with this (if he was actually portrayed as having some sort of serious flaws/issues, rather than this just being a "the nice guy was pushed too far" situation), but I'm not sure if I trust the author to successfully take that angle.

I think it's been clearly set up that he perceives a lot of unfairness in the world and this is part of his massive rage against society accidentally getting some targets. I think it's also not so much that he can copy abilities and make them stronger so much as he can combine the abilities he copies, which makes him possibly stronger against groups.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I don't think it's all that sudden considering how he's treated and also seeing as he almost snapped at least twice that I can recall since Seraphina was sent away.

That said I think this is supposed to be a low point for his character, based mostly on the flashbacks. When getting more power has turned you into an rear end in a top hat the solution isn't to try a clean reset without actually ditching the power (which obviously isn't possible here), it's to genuinely reflect and try to become better. At least that was my read on the flashbacks, as he still seems to think it all went wrong because he was betrayed and he had too much power, not because he was an rear end in a top hat to the point were his friend turned on him.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Absum posted:

he still seems to think it all went wrong because he was betrayed and he had too much power, not because he was an rear end in a top hat to the point were his friend turned on him.

I agree with this being a low point for John.

My take on the whole situation is that The green-haired girl made friends with him solely because of his high power ranking, but he did something she didn't agree with (Likely trying to use his power to dominate all the others in his class/school/whatever). She couldn't go up against him directly so she tried to get half his class to gang up on him in retaliation. She asks him to come to the field, reveals that she was never his friend, she only supported him because she was afraid of him, etc. They all got beaten and John takes a year off where he decides "if people only want to be my friend because I'm powerful, I'll pretend to be weak".

Enter Seraphina. Out of all of Wellston, she befriends him when he's weak and a cripple. He sees this as a TRUE friendship where she didn't just befriend him to use him for his power. Suddenly she's whisked away and he loses that support, the only friend he has that he can trust to be his friend for him and not for his power. Arlo steps in to 'befriend' him with his ulterior motives, and John sees this as the second time his 'friend' betrayed him because of power. Cue John going postal and quite possibly killing one girl, severely injuring the other boy, and god knows what'll end up happening to Arlo.

Another thing. In Episode 35 they do a wellston Top 10 power ranking; Seraphina's listed at the top, and ??? is second. Arlo is #3. Since Arlo is 'king' and Seraphina is 'Queen' (When she isn't passing the buck to Remi), they're likely the two strongest known-about students. That makes it seem likely that John is #2 and Seraphina's power is still stronger than his.

khy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

I think it's also not so much that he can copy abilities and make them stronger so much as he can combine the abilities he copies, which makes him possibly stronger against groups.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't make the connection that the wind blade was probably some hybrid of the claws and the wind powers.

khy posted:

Another thing. In Episode 35 they do a wellston Top 10 power ranking; Seraphina's listed at the top, and ??? is second. Arlo is #3. [spoiler]Since Arlo is 'king' and Seraphina is 'Queen' (When she isn't passing the buck to Remi), they're likely the two strongest known-about students. That makes it seem likely that John is #2 and Seraphina's power is still stronger than his.

If his power actually is to copy and combine powers, it seems like he would inherently be stronger than her as long as anyone else was around at the same time (since he would have her time bullshit plus the other power.

By the way, what is up with that newspaper guy's "hunting" power? We've seen it lets him track things, but it also...lets him stop a giant truck with his bare hands? And if he's that strong, why was Arlo able to hold him up with one arm despite having a power unrelated to being physically strong?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

If his power actually is to copy and combine powers, it seems like he would inherently be stronger than her as long as anyone else was around at the same time (since he would have her time bullshit plus the other power.

Going back even further, if you look at Episode 45, in the expulsion record they explicitly state 'do not activate your ability when handling situations involving John'. That implies John's copy power is limited to when someone around him activates their ability and in the world of unOrdinary everyone's first instinct is always to use their ability. A large group of people could probably just massacre him if they took him on with fists alone. Or possibly someone with a gun or knife could handle him if they don't activate their abilities around John. I suspect that's going to be his powers' big weakness, if he gets in a fight without abilities he's just a more or less normal guy. That might also be why we see him training with the punching bag at home; to compensate for his powers' weakness.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I was thinking about this. It makes him incredibly hard to take down - it basically would rely on one person with a very difficult to use ability - that way he can't use it very effectively. An extra limit is he needs to have never interacted with a similar ability! It would be really hard to take him out with a team since you would need to either utterly overwhelm him with perfect teamwork or combine two or more people with abilities that (with a ton of effort) can link their abilities. Any easily powerful combo is something he can replicate quickly and possibly better. It's a neat hitch!

e ^^^

Oh man that's actually a pretty cool weakness. Almost everyone who writes a copy power puts in some sort of activation condition (and if they're smart, it wears off, unlike the clusterfuck that was Sylar/Peter Petrelli in season 1 of Heroes where both characters were approaching some sort of power singularity)

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 14, 2017

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
Just started (and caught up on) reading unOrdinary and it's pretty good! It feels similar to Noblesse in tone but takes itself more seriously.

I get the impression that John is being setup as the villain(?) of the series, with Sera being the vigilante-hero. I don't imagine the two of them meeting up again as friends, in any case. Sera feels like John taught her a life/moral lesson, and she's going to find out he was a liar and hypocrite. I wanna know more about John's dad and the repercussions to this forbidden book he's published. Seems like he's still walking free, which is a bit better than you'd expect from a near-dystopian authoritarian society.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sarcophallus posted:

Just started (and caught up on) reading unOrdinary and it's pretty good! It feels similar to Noblesse in tone but takes itself more seriously.

I get the impression that John is being setup as the villain(?) of the series, with Sera being the vigilante-hero. I don't imagine the two of them meeting up again as friends, in any case. Sera feels like John taught her a life/moral lesson, and she's going to find out he was a liar and hypocrite. I wanna know more about John's dad and the repercussions to this forbidden book he's published. Seems like he's still walking free, which is a bit better than you'd expect from a near-dystopian authoritarian society.

That would be an interesting direction for the series to go, and I'm not sure why the possibility didn't occur to me. Speaking of interesting, the idea of the focus on hierarchy being a way to orient the attention of "high tiers" downwards and keep them in line in order to protect the status quo (since a lot of folks like Sera are so strong they could cause a lot of problems single-handed) is pretty interesting and would explain a lot of my earlier problems with the bizarre "yeah beat up anyone you want whenever you want!" system. It also seems to be heavily implied that the "beat up anyone you want" stuff is just something people are allowed to do as minors in order to solidify the idea of hierarchy in their minds.

I feel like unOrdinary would work much better if the author were just the writer and had someone else doing the drawing/formatting for them.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I mean past-John was clearly an rear end in a top hat - which is exactly what this society molds people like him to be - but I think the green-haired girl thing was not a good guy / bad guy thing. I thought it explicitly said that her premonition wasn't that she would get powerful by befriending John, but that she would get powerful by befriending and then betraying him. I need to go reread those chapters though, I may be mixed up there.

eta:yeah in ep 44 the dude who ratted her out told him that she had a vision that the jack would take over, so betrayal was her plan from the start. This society is a bit hosed up.

copy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 16, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Gosu has been picked up by webtoons so I guess we can wait 2 years for it to catch up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Just in time. Part 2 started on the 12th.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Sarcophallus posted:

The thing is that John could brutally loving murder every single one of those idiot children and he'd still be morally neutral at worst. They are monsters who go around torturing anyone that can't fight back, and he's entirely justified in what he's doing here by the rules of their society. The people he is fighting will never learn, and never act better. Why is he the bad guy of the story for doing, at absolute worst, the same thing as every single other person in their society? Why would Sera be the hero, the only reason she isn't currently as big a monster as the rest of them is because of John. She was just as bad as any of them, she beat a kid to the point in our world it could nearly be fatal because he wouldn't give her his cake. That poo poo doesn't even fly in prison. John had a real bad day, doesn't mean he can't come back from it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mulva posted:

The thing is that John could brutally loving murder every single one of those idiot children and he'd still be morally neutral at worst. They are monsters who go around torturing anyone that can't fight back, and he's entirely justified in what he's doing here by the rules of their society. The people he is fighting will never learn, and never act better. Why is he the bad guy of the story for doing, at absolute worst, the same thing as every single other person in their society? Why would Sera be the hero, the only reason she isn't currently as big a monster as the rest of them is because of John. She was just as bad as any of them, she beat a kid to the point in our world it could nearly be fatal because he wouldn't give her his cake. That poo poo doesn't even fly in prison. John had a real bad day, doesn't mean he can't come back from it.

I agree wrt John, which is why I put a '(?)' after villain. I don't know if it's quite the right term in this scenario; I just believe he and Sera will end up enemies. Sera has absolutely had a change of heart, which is why she stopped participating in things like the royals or upholding the social hierarchy - and that was before she encountered the book.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol I love Nanohana Boys, it keeps having this blown-out melodrama but I love the way they resolve them

the latest one - super hostile bully, he's just ridiculous, ends up throwing a punch at the roommate and pushing Kenji down so they file a police report. Bully has a powerful dad, but instead of being able to call daddy up to get him out of it his dad is like I'M TIRED OF WIPING YOUR rear end GET A LAWYER lmao

e: also season 2 wraps it up, ends kind of abruptly and also I still ship the two leads even though it's not that kind of comic but it was still nice :3:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 18, 2017

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

Gosu has been picked up by webtoons so I guess we can wait 2 years for it to catch up

I'm enjoying it thus far. I assume by your words it's available elsewhere? I may have been looking at the wrong place but Batoto only had one chapter.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 17, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the unofficial scans are like 80+ chapters ahead last time I checked, released alongside the free chapters on Naver (currently Chapter 1 of Part 2).

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Unordinary's up

Arlo's obsession has previously been described as all about keeping order and not maintaining personal power. If he feels like John's out of order and should be at the top, would he put that obsession of everything in its proper place above any personal ambitions he has? Would Arlo accept being dethroned if it meant putting John where he should be?

khy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 20, 2017

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It would be amusing if John gets screwed over by the lack of hypocrisy in Arlo. John is clearly the most fitting person there could ever be to take part in their stupid battles. He's really good at combat, and he gets stronger the more people fight him. Send him out first, never lose a single challenge. Hell, you want to stack the deck you can have him pick up his entire team's powers before he goes out. John counting on Arlo wanting to maintain position at the top of the heap could backfire wildly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Arlo takes damage from his barriers being damaged/cracked?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the gamer is real slow but seems like its about to be a whole load of grinding coming up

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:siren: Your new player protection period has expired. :siren:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New Noblesse, plenty of people going to be fangirling (And fanboying) up now that Rai, Frankenstein, and Lord are about to step in and fight.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

khy posted:

New Noblesse, plenty of people going to be fangirling (And fanboying) up now that Rai, Frankenstein, and Lord are about to step in and fight.

Bloodstone Maduke looking pretty cool too

e: lmao at the way Frankenstein was drawn, dem hips :kiss:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 25, 2017

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Super hosed up how the werewolf warriors got betrayed though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really enjoyed the hoist by their own dumb philosophy petard

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Sindai posted:

That part I definitely enjoyed.

They were perfectly OK with 'Let's perform hosed up experiments on our own people to make us all stronger' but the second that transitioned to 'Let's be part of those hosed up experiments used to make someone ELSE stronger' they suddenly realized how much of a dick move it is and that it was never justifiable. I look forward to them apologizing to that one honorable werewolf that befriended M-21 whos name I've forgotten.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

frankenstein losing control of his power and killing the entire world will be a fitting end to the series

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sindai posted:

yeah that was nice

also the whole realization that "oh wait he just blurted out a bunch of poo poo we weren't supposed to know, we're so dead now"

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I thought it was a cathartic moment at first, but honestly, they have all just been puppets the entire time and they really thought they were doing the right thing for their people. Meanwhile, they are just being used as stones to grind some dude's thousand+ year long murder boner against a wolf so chill they might as well call him Air Bud. Anyways, it's just messed up that they were lied to about Muzakas daughter.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Coffee Mugshot posted:

a wolf so chill they might as well call him Air Bud

:perfect:

Obviously all of the werewolf warriors will survive and learn from their mistakes so Muzaka will forgive them and they will all be bros. Except that they will still have murdered hundreds to thousands of their kin.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Muzaka's chill right up until the exact second he's the goddamn sun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they are thousands of years old. they have had plenty of time to think about what they were doing, but none of them managed to give a poo poo until they had to face some consequences. werewolves are dicks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I like how even double cheating Maduke was still losing to Muzaka, so he had to triple cheat, only to finally get someone to say "ok, that's going too far, we're stepping in." Technically quadruple cheating, because Muzaka, like Rai, isn't even at his full power after their titanic clash thousands of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

New Unordinary

They're kind of overdoing the "John is so vulnerable right now" considering he just left three people as bloody wrecks, but all the same a good update.

Question now is how much will he confide in Seraphina? Will she find out the truth right now, or be left in the dark?

I really hope that John decides to come clean to her right away. I hate the old trope where the sole confidant of the hero is kept in the dark for such a long time they grow resentful when they find out that they were never told. On the other hand though, John just suffered a pretty severe betrayal so I can totally understand his reluctance to open up, even to his one true friend.

khy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 27, 2017