Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
next splatfest is ps4 vs xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Hot take: Pearl looks way better in-game when she's actually moving and MCing, Marina looks better in screenshots.

Is it Friday yet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

There's something hilarious about a roller running straight at you far from the front, refusing to diverge despite you just dumping in his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uvm3GixEj4

It's funnier watching two rollers charge up to each other and you're left seeing who's lag wins out (Or, better yet, when it leads to a double KO)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Do tenta missiles fire the same number of missiles every time and split them amongst the targeted squids? I seemed to have better luck dropping missiles on one or two squids.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dugong posted:

I'm blaming US Cake for letting the team down

I'm blaming it being the middle of summer and global warming and ofc people are going to pick ice cream

I didn't break 1600 rating or whatever, please carry me 2000+ goons

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Do tenta missiles fire the same number of missiles every time and split them amongst the targeted squids? I seemed to have better luck dropping missiles on one or two squids.

I believe it's four missiles per squid you target, so targeting more gets you more missiles.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I got a lot of kills with the missiles early on but people caught on to the pink circle of doom pretty quick. After a while it was only useful for flushing squids and picking off tunnel-visioned chargers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's exactly it's intended use, so there's nothing wrong with that. It's a more useful use case in Ranked, but has its uses in Turf War.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I wasn't complaining, it's a good thing! I'm glad specials have taken a step back since the days of the kraken.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Lakbay posted:

I'm blaming it being the middle of summer and global warming and ofc people are going to pick ice cream

I didn't break 1600 rating or whatever, please carry me 2000+ goons
It's probably not as bad as you think, the skill on display at that rating was so all over the place you might as well be flipping a coin. I coasted to 1800 and something after breaking past it.

Blank Construct fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 16, 2017

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I VA'd the titular line in Splatoon 2's single player campaign.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/babylonian/status/886583078868713474

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

this proves clear collusion against pearl by nintendo

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The law is the law.

also is it appropriate to make playable octoling™ theories once again or nah

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

SpaceDrake posted:

also is it appropriate to make playable octoling™ theories once again or nah

:yeah:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Scholtz posted:

"Ah, boy, I'm just so tired of all this traffic. I just can't wait until I get Splatoon 2."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
You think they'll put up pre-loading this week sometime, or should I just start that download before I go to work on Friday?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Scholtz posted:

If it's good, you'll be remembered as an internet meme

If it's really bad, you'll be remembered as an internet meme

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Frankston posted:

Guys I want to really play Splatoon 2 again and I can't

:same:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Dugong posted:

I'm blaming US Cake for letting the team down

I definitely had more wins than loses last night.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

deadly_pudding posted:

You think they'll put up pre-loading this week sometime, or should I just start that download before I go to work on Friday?

It probably won't go live until midnight Friday. I would totally get some money on your Nintendo account now, though, to avoid the possibility of their credit card server getting slammed when the game comes out.

Meanwhile though, before I get to wild octo theories, I do want to ask: was anyone else having a fucker of a time getting the wireless to work smoothly? I've had trouble with it during the Testfire and during Splatfest now, and I have little hope launch will improve it.

When I was wire connected, I could complete matches easily. In wireless mode, however, despite my Switch being docked literally six feet from my router, I was literally incapable of completing a match. Ten matches played, ten disconnects. One all of five seconds from completion, which was infuriating.

Near as I can figure, it must be the wireless radio on the Switch itself. It's weird because my WiiU emphatically does not have the same problem - it plays matches just fine.

If the Switch doesn't use as good a wireless radio that'll be disappointing, as I'd like to laze about the house while I splat.

The one bright spot is that the Switch base dock uses bog standard USB Ethernet adapters, so the one I got for my Wii nearly a decade ago (good god) works like a charm. I just wish the wireless seemed better.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
My router's pretty far away from the Switch and I only DC'd a few times, which is usually my experience with the Wii U.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpaceDrake posted:

It probably won't go live until midnight Friday. I would totally get some money on your Nintendo account now, though, to avoid the possibility of their credit card server getting slammed when the game comes out.

Meanwhile though, before I get to wild octo theories, I do want to ask: was anyone else having a fucker of a time getting the wireless to work smoothly? I've had trouble with it during the Testfire and during Splatfest now, and I have little hope launch will improve it.

When I was wire connected, I could complete matches easily. In wireless mode, however, despite my Switch being docked literally six feet from my router, I was literally incapable of completing a match. Ten matches played, ten disconnects. One all of five seconds from completion, which was infuriating.

Near as I can figure, it must be the wireless radio on the Switch itself. It's weird because my WiiU emphatically does not have the same problem - it plays matches just fine.

If the Switch doesn't use as good a wireless radio that'll be disappointing, as I'd like to laze about the house while I splat.

The one bright spot is that the Switch base dock uses bog standard USB Ethernet adapters, so the one I got for my Wii nearly a decade ago (good god) works like a charm. I just wish the wireless seemed better.

Yeah, I had a lot of communication errors last night. Mario Kart is usually really stable, so I don't know if it's a Switch Wifi problem, or a Splatoon servers problem. I might order an ethernet adapter and cable tomorrow, though. It's a pretty straight shot from my router to my Switch.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

If you are having issues with connectivity set up your switch as a DMZ. For whatever reason some of my routers have had problem with Nintendo online without it.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nephzinho posted:

If you are having issues with connectivity set up your switch as a DMZ. For whatever reason some of my routers have had problem with Nintendo online without it.

I'll give that a try, thanks.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I got a lot of kills with the missiles early on but people caught on to the pink circle of doom pretty quick. After a while it was only useful for flushing squids and picking off tunnel-visioned chargers.

I started using them rather aggressively on towers near the end. I'd launch them against 1-2 guys above me and rush them from around the corner firing. They would often panic backwards into cover right back into the missiles. This is mostly a win more on that map since if you are climbing the other teams tower you very likely are doing well.

Basically use them as mid range not long range to force them into your weapon range in a panic, if they don't do that they can retreat further into their own turf. They are pretty niche it's not something like Kraken where you are probably going to go find someplace to use it as soon as it's up, it's one you should try and keep up because when it's good, it's good.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 16, 2017

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

So in Splatoon 1, I played competitive solo since none of my friends are really into video games/own a Wii U. Splatoon 2 seems to have a much greater focus on forming teams and voice chat and all of that. Will solo queuers like me get wrecked?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
apparently if you disconnect during matches too often you get temporarily banned

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Guy Goodbody posted:

apparently if you disconnect during matches too often you get temporarily banned

I love how casual this warning is. "Fix your poo poo, bruh"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zeruel posted:

I'm half-glad its over for 5 more days because I played the full 4 hours to get to Ice Cream Queen and am worried I'll burn out on it.

Hard to burn out on splatoon when they do a good job of giving you reasons to come back every week/month

new maps! new guns! splatfests! oh my!

Pierson posted:

Hot take: Pearl looks way better in-game when she's actually moving and MCing, Marina looks better in screenshots.

Yeah this is correct.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I wasn't complaining, it's a good thing! I'm glad specials have taken a step back since the days of the kraken.

Yeah I really feel like all specials got intentionally nerfed in S2 which is A Good Thing, and they did it all in a way that keeps the specials fun to use and not just making them weaker versions of the same thing.

Good design Nintendo!

Like the superman punch is basically an inkstrike but you have to actually be where you want to use it, so no last minute inkstrikes on the enemy base after time's up. But on the other hand, it makes it more useful defensively since you can fire it off and catch somebody coming for you, you don't have to tap the touchscreen somewhere. And a big superman punch explosion is way cooler than firing a missile.

The lock-on missiles are like the inkzooka but far easier to dodge, like you guys were just discussing, once players get hit by it a couple times they learn how to dodge it. As long as you have some ink down you can squid and run and easily get away. But if you're busy sniping you can get caught, or if you're in cover then it forces them out and then you can splat them.

The jetpack gives you the ability to flank from unexpected angles and fires big splats, but the splats have some travel time so you still have to lead your shots, and the fire rate is pretty slow. And flying up in the air means when people do notice you, you're a huge target.

The laser beam gun super sounds like it needs some work though. I didn't even try chargers in the splatfest so I don't know.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dang this game owned

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

eonwe posted:

dang this game owned

i think you mean to say, dang this game will own in 6 days

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Akarshi posted:

So in Splatoon 1, I played competitive solo since none of my friends are really into video games/own a Wii U. Splatoon 2 seems to have a much greater focus on forming teams and voice chat and all of that. Will solo queuers like me get wrecked?
During non splatfests? You'll probably be fine.
Splatfest: It depends on the player base. I did solo during this one and stood at a crossroads between being on team cake (smaller player pool) and also being fairly highly ranked. This meant that my teammates were almost always way lower scored than me -- the average player available to team up at that moment and all -- bringing the team average down a bunch. The game would then generally match us with a score-appropriate team for your team average. A lot of pressure is put on you to carry your team, and if you end up losing anyway, it hurts your personal score way more since you lost against a fairly lower-scored team.

That said, it's probably less of an issue if you're on the popular side of the splatfest, and it's a complete non-issue if you aren't looking at your score much anyway.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Solo queue is a different matchmaking pool anyhow, you'll never be matched against people using comms.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The bike track level had so much surface to splat that the first 15 seconds was always followed by a non-stop barrage of missiles. Always

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Afro posted:

i think you mean to say, dang this game will own in 6 days

ya?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Akarshi posted:

Dr Cheeto posted:

Solo queue is a different matchmaking pool anyhow, you'll never be matched against people using comms.

Yeah I was gonna say, premades almost assuredly get mached with other premades. The guys who were playing 4-mansquid teams said they ended up going up against tryhard twitch gamers.

I played solo and it seemed like everybody in my games was either a child or was learning splatoon for the first time or both.

I wouldn't say it has a greater focus on forming teams. It just facilitates it more than the last game did, if that's your thing.

Gimbal lock posted:

The bike track level had so much surface to splat that the first 15 seconds was always followed by a non-stop barrage of missiles. Always

Yeah that map was HUGE in terms of horizontal paintable surface

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The biggest pieces of real estate I spotted that nobody ever seemed to bother painting were the trees and side-paths in Art Academy, the upper walkways in Starfish Mainstage on top of the catwalks, and the outer sides of the walkways on Moray Towers.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

deadly_pudding posted:

I'll give that a try, thanks.

My Switch didn't work for online play until I put it into the DMZ, now I only get a disconnect here and there but I wonder if I should just buy a better router