Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Carmen Nicole Jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Who has the scarier dad, Sage Northcut or Wonderboy Thompson?

Dr. AnnMaria De Mars

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If Ronda had listened to her mom, she might still be a fighter and champ today.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Who has the scarier dad, Sage Northcut or Wonderboy Thompson?

jordan mein

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

If Ronda listened to anyone in the industry outside of Edmund she'd still be champ.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MysteryNad posted:

jordan mein

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

In case anyone is thinking this might be a joke, this is literally true.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to read Ronda's awful book, and even when she's trying to talk up her mom, her mom sounds pretty abusive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Neon Belly posted:

For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to read Ronda's awful book, and even when she's trying to talk up her mom, her mom sounds pretty abusive.

That's because she was. I don't think many people would consider it good child rearing to pounce on top of your pre-teen child and force them to defend from your continued assaults throughout each day. This does teach a child to be tough and to be a fighter, but it also turns them into Ronda Rousey.

If only she could have stayed away from that bum edmond.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
she was preparing her for life with Travis browne

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP

Triticum Guzzler posted:

:henget:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

:vince:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

does boxing gently caress up your brain more than football?

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Someone important said they're working on new football helmets that let you get brutally hosed up with almost no brain damage.
Boxing has been working on giving people brain damage ever since they invented gloves.
Football players playing through injuries is probably on par with letting boxers get dropped and keep fighting though.
I think overall boxing fucks up your brain a lot more than football. It's the goal of the sport.

e; if you asked about hockey some people could tell you all about hosed up hockey brains, i'm sure

Chillanese fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 26, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chillanese posted:

Someone important said they're working on new football helmets that let you get brutally hosed up with almost no brain damage.

It's impossible to take the sting out of the soft brain hitting hard skull on big collisions. There's nothing you can put on the outside of the head to mitigate that.

edit: I would love to be wrong

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Stairmaster posted:

Depends on the position in football, and what level of competition you're talking about.

...and the pitch! posted:

It's impossible to take the sting out of the soft brain hitting hard skull on big collisions. There's nothing you can put on the outside of the head to mitigate that.

edit: I would love to be wrong

Maybe if the helmets looked like this:

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i should think it depends on how many concussions you get while doing them

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Which sort of indicates the question is about concussion rates

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

...and the pitch! posted:

Which sort of indicates the question is about concussion rates

I would have to say that depends on how many hard impacts your head takes

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I spent a few days with a guy doing NFL funded materials research and while I doubt what they're working on will solve the problem entirely their main aim is actually a much more extreme multiple impact scenario than a few fat guys running at you head first so it has potential

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
theres fairly new technology in cycling helmets called MIPS, basically its like a shell inside the helmet that rotates with your skull a little on impact. i guess the principle involved is similar to hitting the ground sliding instead of directly in a bike crash

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I.N.R.I posted:

I would have to say that depends on how many hard impacts your head takes

Remember Nik Denis? He retired citing research that the accumulation of smaller hits over a career may be worse than the big hard ones. Though that would be consistent with football being really really bad for you.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Stairmaster posted:

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/study-cte-found-in-nearly-all-donated-nfl-player-brains

110 out of 111 NFL brains have CTE.
Earlier study said 87 of 91 have CTE.

I can't find any good numbers for boxing. MMA is too new to get good numbers.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Remember Nik Denis? He retired citing research that the accumulation of smaller hits over a career may be worse than the big hard ones. Though that would be consistent with football being really really bad for you.

Some say the head need not be struck to yield concussion either.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

I.N.R.I posted:

i should think it depends on how many concussions you get while doing them
In football it's probably going to be tied to the position. Someone playing on the line is going to get a lot more hits (every play) than a receiver. Probably similar in combat sports, where it's a style thing - Chris Leben probably has more concussions than Anderson.

I think the answer to the question is it depends on the person but none of them are good for your brain.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

The Association of Boxing Commissions and Combative Sports on Wednesday voted unanimously to adopt four new weight classes to mixed martial arts.

The new divisions added to the Unified Rules of MMA during the annual ABC convention in Connecticut are as follows: super lightweight (165 pounds), super welterweight (175 pounds), super middleweight (195 pounds) and cruiserweight (225 pounds).

The adoption of the new weight classes does not mean that MMA promotions will be required to add those divisions at any time. California State Athletic Commission executive officer Andy Foster initially proposed the new weight classes as part of his 10-point plan to curb extreme weight cutting.

“Just because cruiserweight now exists doesn’t mean that the UFC or Bellator or anybody else has to put in a cruiserweight division,” ABC chairman of the rules and regulations committee Sean Wheelock told MMAFighting.com. “MMA promotions run their own belts -- you can do a title at a 162.2 pounds if you want.”

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Association-of-Boxing-Commissions-Approves-Addition-of-Four-New-Weight-Classes-for-MMA-125447

So does this mean... anything?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It means Nate Diaz is going to be a dual-weight champion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

It means Nate Diaz is going to be a dual-weight champion.

Well, that is certainly a plus.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Fozzy The Bear posted:

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/25/539198429/study-cte-found-in-nearly-all-donated-nfl-player-brains

110 out of 111 NFL brains have CTE.
Earlier study said 87 of 91 have CTE.

I can't find any good numbers for boxing. MMA is too new to get good numbers.

There isn't a big enough asterisk on that study/sample group.

110 out of 111 brains deliberately donated to a CTE study because their owners/owners' families thought they had CTE had CTE.

That being said, it's probably somewhere on the order of 60-70% of NFL players that will end up with it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Memento posted:

There isn't a big enough asterisk on that study/sample group.

110 out of 111 brains deliberately donated to a CTE study because their owners/owners' families thought they had CTE had CTE.

That being said, it's probably somewhere on the order of 60-70% of NFL players that will end up with it.

Yeah, I mean it's still a big enough link to be significant since only one person self-misdiagnosed, but they way it's being click-baited as representative of the entire NFL is pretty disingenuous.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Where can I find a good repository of heavy bag drills?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Waroduce posted:

canelo vs. jcc jr

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Waroduce posted:

How much experience do you have? The heavy bag isn't really for technique, imo, it's more of a cardio and muscle memory thing

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

vainman posted:

How much experience do you have? The heavy bag isn't really for technique, imo, it's more of a cardio and muscle memory thing

It's for muscle memory. I spar occasionally in some gyms around town and I box w a friend who lives in my building. Dude is a retired MMA guy who currently does alot of juijitsu now. We spar as a workout type thing cause he doesn't wanna loose all his striking.

I'm not looking to work on alot of technique I just want to get a good workout and work on some combinations.

I do like a 60 second warm up of each punch, into 1/2s , 2/hooks, 2/uppercuts and than free style 60 seconds

My work out now is 3x5 min rounds 2 min rest working on either landing poo poo at the edge of my reach, staying in the pocket, simulating sequences I've experienced or free styling.
*shrug*

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Oh, I gotcha. I was just going to warn you about not goofing your shoulder by punching too hard if you've never practiced before.

I usually do two soft 3 minute rounds to get my distance and then 3*3 minute rounds, short break, repeat three times. None of it is super high intensity.

What I try to do is make sure I'm always angling every time I step in and out, like in this video, and always moving off when I'm on the outside. As an 'exercise' it's probably not the best, but I find it helps build the muscle memory of never standing in place or backing straight up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFdHVvh0oJw

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What website is the least horrible for MMA news? I've been busy for a few months and it seems like they all blow. A lot.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

The threads and Twitter tbh. Mmamedia is a poo poo show.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

BlindSite posted:

The threads and Twitter tbh. Mmamedia is a poo poo show.

It seems stuck in this weird limbo of hardcore fans talking about Roy Nelson's gut power sprinkled with real sports journalists trying to make sense out of the stupid loving rankings.

Also fifty plus Conor articles a page.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Captain Log posted:

What website is the least horrible for MMA news? I've been busy for a few months and it seems like they all blow. A lot.

I think MMA Junkie is probably somehow the most legitimate, although their website is terrible and has a video autoplay on every page. MMA Mania has been pretty reliable for me for awhile now.

On the side, there was an interesting article on Deadspin yesterday that kind of underscored how lovely of a company SB Nation is and why lots of their coverage (like Bloody Elbow) is so bad. I think MMA Mania just basically reports new and is better for it, rather than trying to inject terrible opinions like BE.

DumbWhiteGuy fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sad but appropriate that these are on the same level:

quote:

each tightly focused on a particular topic, like the New York Mets or professional boxing.