Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Splattin' makes me feel good

fake edit: ohhhh yeahh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Lakbay posted:

My Switch didn't work for online play until I put it into the DMZ, now I only get a disconnect here and there but I wonder if I should just buy a better router

Everyone should probably buy a better router, many of them are indeed poo poo. Nintendo's Meh wifi makes it more obvious

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
In penance for choosing the wrong team, cake, I consumed a Klondike bar after the results were revealed.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pierson posted:

The biggest pieces of real estate I spotted that nobody ever seemed to bother painting were the trees and side-paths in Art Academy, the upper walkways in Starfish Mainstage on top of the catwalks, and the outer sides of the walkways on Moray Towers.

Unless I'm misremembering, vertical space does not count in turf war.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nephzinho posted:

It doesn't but there's still plenty of places worth doing it for mobility reasons.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nephzinho posted:

You are correct, and angles count for a percentage, a 90% angle is only worth half a floor and a 45% angle 75%, you still want walls though, so you can go up them. Even at half value 45% ramps are generally extremely valuable for the mobility increase alone.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I managed to get Ice cream king but feel like I need to get better with the guns, mostly ran around like an idiot with the roller. Sill fun as hell, and 4 rollers on the same team made for some hilariously bad losses when it was vs 4 duelies

Edit: grammar/spelling

Coolspaz fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 16, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

pixaal posted:

You are correct, and angles count for a percentage, a 90% angle is only worth half a floor and a 45% angle 75%, you still want walls though, so you can go up them. Even at half value 45% ramps are generally extremely valuable for the mobility increase alone.

Yes, there will be great vertical spaces to fight for, but just reminding that you don't need to waste time painting every wall you see.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If most species of squid live for only 18 months, and 3-5 years being the longest living squid, if this game takes place 2 years later Callie and Marie being retired makes sense. They have to be almost dead. By Splattoon 3 everyone from the first game will most likely be dead.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Great Turf War was over 100 years ago and Cap'n Cuttlefish served during it. I think dying of old age isn't going to be a concern anytime soon for Callie or Marie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pixaal posted:

If most species of squid live for only 18 months, and 3-5 years being the longest living squid, if this game takes place 2 years later Callie and Marie being retired makes sense. They have to be almost dead. By Splattoon 3 everyone from the first game will most likely be dead.

These squids live in a post apocalyptic earth where all humans died out. They probably evolved to have longer lifespans.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nagrolaz/status/886782407046647810

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pixaal posted:

They're not squid squids in the same way that humans aren't monkeys, they evolved different and now they probably live longer.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

We should start seeing reviews in a couple hours, right?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

We should start seeing reviews in a couple hours, right?

"loving Awesome."- Correct Review Magazine

Seems legit.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Painting walls also builds your ult iirc

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Maple Leaf posted:

Painting walls also builds your ult iirc

It didn't in Splatoon.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

"loving Awesome."- Correct Review Magazine

Seems legit.

I can always count on Correct Review.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Sam Faust posted:

It didn't in Splatoon.

Huh, that's ink on my face, I guess.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Reviews will probably only reflect the single-player.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nagrolaz/status/886785261434060801

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Please no bully Pearl. :ohdear:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
It's great there was three times more ice cream voters but the actual matchup was really even.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just so you know story spoilers and screenshots are floating around now. Saw one and while it was cute it makes me SUPER curious as to what the story actually is.

(Sunken Scroll spoiler)
Apparently when Agent 3 fought DJ Octavio the surrounding Octarians had no idea what was actually going on and thought that he was just headlining for a guest performance from the sisters. Marina and some of her octoling/octarian friends were just watching and having a blast.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

God I just want Splatoon 2 to get released already.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just so you know story spoilers and screenshots are floating around now. Saw one and while it was cute it makes me SUPER curious as to what the story actually is.

(Sunken Scroll spoiler)
Apparently when Agent 3 fought DJ Octavio the surrounding Octarians had no idea what was actually going on and thought that he was just headlining for a guest performance from the sisters. Marina and some of her octoling/octarian friends were just watching and having a blast.

This game has the best lore

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Weird question but have we seen whether or not Off the Hook has a logo like the Squid Sisters did?

Gotta get me another sticker for my Switch case.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gimbal lock posted:

Reviews will probably only reflect the single-player.

Nah, people who have the game can play online. One of my friends who's an "influencer" has been playing for 2 weeks the jammy oval office

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Weird question but have we seen whether or not Off the Hook has a logo like the Squid Sisters did?

Gotta get me another sticker for my Switch case.

I would guess it's this deal:

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

i got one of my overwatch buddies to buy a switch and zelda, im totes an influencer, nintendo pls

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(Sunken Scroll spoiler)

It's also described as having been a flat-out life-changing experience for everyone who saw it. It heavily implied it's why Marina came to Inkopolis and that there may be more Octarians who no longer see the Inklings with only hostility. It's yet another lore justification for playable Octolings.

Speakin' of which

hash tag fuckit, it's time for SpaceDrake's Big Dumb Playable Octolings Post, prepare for a long effort post

So why do I think/hope there will be playable Octolings in this one? Well, first, it's something I've wanted since completing the single player in 1, dammit, and I hope it happens.

But honestly there's been ever-mounting evidence that we might just be getting them this time. And, specifically, that they're going to be either an unlock reward for beating the single-player campaign or they're going to be a DLC for the same a bit down the line.

Firstly, just on a meta level: it makes sense. Playable Octolings are perhaps the single most requested feature in the history of the game, outside of maybe savable loadouts and the ability to switch loadouts when waiting for a match to start (and we know that Salmon Run is getting that, at least). In a game filled with mechanical and QoL improvements it'd be weird on some level for them to just totally ignore it. Maybe it wouldn't be "in theme" (Splatoon's meant to be about squidkids, after all) but the requests are just so prevalent and passionate that doing nothing with it would be odd.

But, that's just wishful thinking, right? By itself, sure. But the past two months have seen evidence pop up that it might be more than that.

First off, there's the single player mode's conceit in general. It's clear that it will involve Callie working with the Octarians on some level, and while it's impossible tell how that's going to pan out, it's already an example of some cross-over, just going the other way. And depending on how the whole thing shakes out, maybe it'd justify playable Octolings!...

... and then we get a goddamn Octoling DJ singer as one half of our new idol duo.

Marina's reveal was the moment I went from idle "that'd be nice, but nah, they're probably doing other stuff" private thoughts to "okay, they're really kind of leaning on this now" bad forum posting. An Octoling on the idol team kind of came out of nowhere and there wasn't any prior indication that this'd happen. But now all of a sudden we have an Octoling living in Inkopolis, as part of a hugely popular idol duo, establishing all at once that Octolings can live in Inkopolis if they want and that they can be an accepted part of society - if an Octoling can be a music star, it's hard to imagine why they couldn't be a Turf War sports hero. While it is perhaps just a way to mix up the idol duo, there's a bunch of other established Inkopolis sea-life residents the non-Inkling could have been, but they went specifically with an Octarian. It feels that little bit too deliberate to just be coincidence, especially in the wider context of fan desire for Octolings.

And thus this hooks back into the single player, which may well feature our new idol duo to some degree. They aren't directly related to our "leader" anymore, but they're still very prominent characters and Marina's new position in Inkling society and her seeming desire to integrate and fit in makes her a marked contrast to Octavio, who's still obsessed with a war the Octarians lost a hundred years ago. Especially since Nintendo is keeping the second half of the single player very much in the dark (we've seen only one boss and not many stages), it's quite possible Marina will, during the later acts, feel moved to confront Octavio about how he's not helping anymore and convince other Octarians - not to mention a certain Squid Sister who's probably been convinced to turn to Octavio's side in the name of "justice" - that there's a different way.

And then, of course, now we also have that Sunken Scroll, which outright says that anyone at that "concert" had their minds blown that night. That all but outright states that Marina is not alone in the way she thinks and that even outside of the above scenario, there must be Octarians who have considered that the path of conflict isn't the only way.

In short, there's now a very fertile "lore" ground for playable Octolings. At this point, if anything if they aren't there it's going to feel a little weird.

But there's another thing, and it's a little thing but it made me chuckle: the Octarian eyes were previously not very friendly to being playable.

You see, Octarians to date have had green sclerae, including the Octolings in octopus form.

They didn't have eye whites, they had eye greens. It was done to make them look comparatively inhuman next to the very human (and thus sympathetic) Inklings, but that would conversely make them look very weird if playing as them. Maybe not a huge thing, but it is a bit of a design stumbling block that EAD set up for themselves. We did get that one odd artwork of an un-visored Octoling that might've had white sclera, but it was a bit hard to tell. And of course the hacked octoling, back in the day, had eye whites, but that's just because they used the Inkling eyes (since on a technical level, Octolings were of course just modified Inklings).

Well fast forward to right now...

... and here comes Marina with blatant-rear end white sclerae. So on top of everything else she does, she establishes that Octolings can have more human-looking eyes in human form, and even this silly little "problem" is taken care of.

To sum up, everything is lining up for the Octolings to get introduced as a new option for player avatars. The lore is lining up correctly, design issues are being worked out and it'd be another thing to add to the game that'd make fans go atomic with hype. The way I suspect it will be implemented will be that they're going to be the main reward for beating single-player - you complete the SP campaign, and you unlock the ability to choose between squid and octo on the character creation screen (which, remember, you can go back to at any point). It's even the sort of thing you keep secret until the release - JP devs love love love having big secret stuff in their games, in memory of yesteryear when playground rumors and stuff were a thing. As a marketing thing, you'd keep it secret up until launch, let people discover it on their own and let the hype go fusion-powered, then at the end of the launch weekend or something put out a trailer showing off the playable octos. It all lines up as a marketing and reveal strategy and is how you'd ideally handle such a thing.

Just about everything makes sense for it, and now we need to see if they pull the trigger.

... Just about everything, mind.

The one remaining elephant in the room is Their Goddamned Hair, which might be what killed their release in S1. You see, when people got the hacked Octoling working back in 2015, it was mostly functional and even had eyeliner textures you never see in game otherwise and the hair was even texture-rigged to work with the squad color system... but their huge 80s hair was, unsurprisingly, completely incompatible with the vast majority of the game's hats. The Octoling goggles from 1 and the Terminator shades from 2 are designed specifically to play nice with their hair - most other hats in the game are designed on the assumption of the very flat upper heads that Inklings have (that's why the girls had twintails in S1, easy hat compatibility). Some of the hair options in S2 are a bit more daring, but still nothing on the level of the famous Octoling hair... and that above screenshot is from S2, so they've kept that design feature, at least.

It's not a totally unworkable problem, especially if Octolings presumably also get multiple hairstyles, but making the "classic" octo-hair play nice with most hats would require additional modeling work and artist time that Nintendo may feel is better used elsewhere. It'd be sort of a weird, dumb hill for playable Octolings to die on, but if anything does it in, I think it'll be this.

That's just about the only remaining hurdle I can see, though. They have otherwise done a really good job of setting up the idea that Octolings could become Inkopolis residents and sport Turf War participants, and hair aside if they don't move on their set-up, I'll be more than a little surprised.

So that was my big dumb speculation post that was posted to something awful dot com at 4:30 in the morning, thanks for reading

also yeah, what kid posted is clearly the Tentacool logo, they use it in the same way in their broadcasts

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus Christ

I think the biggest problem with playable octolings is that we might end up seeing mostly them and it won't feel like Splatoon any more. Might just be a fad, though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

The Bloop posted:

Jesus Christ

when I effortpost, I fuckin effortpost

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just want to play the fun colourful shooty paint game :)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I think the biggest problem with playable octolings is that we might end up seeing mostly them and it won't feel like Splatoon any more. Might just be a fad, though.

I think you underestimate just how much people love inklings. It might be like Link in MK8 for a few days, but I bet most would choose Inklings in the end.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Wish it was Friday already

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Frankston posted:

I just want to play the fun colourful shooty paint game :)

I do too :) (and if you're a splatoon newbie you probably have no idea what the gently caress I'm on about :v:)

I just tend to make big posts about discussion topics, especially for games that haven't been released yet. It's not quite a gimmick, but it's a Thing I Do sometimes. Hopefully it wasn't too obnoxious.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, we'd see a ton of them when they launch, I'm sure, but my ~gut feeling~ is that the population would even out over time. Part of it would probably come down to hair options and the like.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I hope you get your playable Octolings friend

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/NinWire/status/886919722184441857

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So how was post release support like in the first game? Added more cosmetic stuff, maps, weapons?

I think I saw it mentioned they have two years of splat fest ideas planned out and they'll support the game for one year at least? Just want to know what to expect. I never got into the first game.