Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also kind of a lot of enmity towards the rich and powerful nowadays that might put a wrench in things. It's why they changed Richie Rich from old money to an entrepreneur in the Netflix reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I'd love a show with a school setting where the main characters ARE the rich, popular, good looking kids, if just for how unique that would be, same for an animated sitcom where the main character's family are wealthy enough that money issues almost never come up, cause money problems are too easy and overused as plot hooks these days in my opinion

Get thee to The Critic!

FilthyImp posted:

Placing the main characters on the top of the foodchain eliminates a lot of growth and conflict. Kind of hard to develop stuff when 90% of their problems could be solved with Bruce Wayne stacks of cash, or when they can just rally the student body to save the watering hole or whatever.

It can be done but you need to be clever and self-aware about it. Going back to The Critic the writers got around these problems by making Jay a heidious loser and having everyone kind of hate him. They also took the fact that he came from money as an opportunity to comment on the eccentricities of the wealthy. A kids show centered around "the rich popular kid" could do something similar to good effect I think.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really hate the voices of Huey, Dewey and Louie in the Ducktales remake. Like I honestly can't believe they went with that.

I wish I could see what everyone else is seeing in this remake. Nothing about it has done a single thing for me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So CN's basically done away with credit sequences altogether and just does one of those bottom of screen scrolls at the end of an episode.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Get thee to The Critic!

Rich? Yes
Popular? Moderately. He wasn't really hated by anyone at his school
Good looking? Ehhh....I would say not really, but makes up for it with his charisma and personality. A bit like Bobby Hill.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

So CN's basically done away with credit sequences altogether and just does one of those bottom of screen scrolls at the end of an episode.

pshaw, nickelodeon's been doing that for years now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

gently caress, I just realized something that's been bugging me about the Ben 10 reboot. Aside from the Omnitrix, there have been 0 other aliens in the show so far. All the villains have been either human or earthly monsters.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Waffleman_ posted:

gently caress, I just realized something that's been bugging me about the Ben 10 reboot. Aside from the Omnitrix, there have been 0 other aliens in the show so far. All the villains have been either human or earthly monsters.

This version prettymuch does away with the entire plot/premise of Ben 10 and is trying to go for a TTG thing but is really bad at the whole actually being funny part. Most of the attempted jokes are smothered horribly by bad pacing and delivery.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

the season finale (which, like the series as a whole, has aired in other countries first) featurs Vilgax and the Bounty Hunters

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Neeksy posted:

This version prettymuch does away with the entire plot/premise of Ben 10 and is trying to go for a TTG thing but is really bad at the whole actually being funny part. Most of the attempted jokes are smothered horribly by bad pacing and delivery.

I also noticed that too. Sometimes the show goes for "Ben turned into the wrong alien" as a joke, but they do an entire drawn-out transformation sequence for said wrong alien, ruining the entire joke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xelkelvos posted:

Rich? Yes
Popular? Moderately. He wasn't really hated by anyone at his school
Good looking? Ehhh....I would say not really, but makes up for it with his charisma and personality. A bit like Bobby Hill.

The show seems to love dumping on Jay being terrible and ridiculously out of shape.

A bit funny given his Simpsons appearance has him basically be a more successful, likeable version of Homer, to the point where Homer gets jealous and has a crisis of self-esteem.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Inescapable Duck posted:

The show seems to love dumping on Jay being terrible and ridiculously out of shape.
Jay was in no way admirable. His lifelong passion was apparently watching terrible films and poo poo talking them, because that was the conception of a Critic we could hold in our minds. Still, he's not particularly respected and the one time he was given to author a script he turned in something terrible. His fabulously wealthy parents didnt really seem to support him and were mainly there to provide a Bush era conservative foil to things.

You cant really fault the show since it was in that weird 90s bubble where people could find jobs and make a living so economic anxiety was ebbing after the Bush recession.

Really, dude was a proto-youtuber in the mold of JonTron. The web revival that was done 10+ years ago would be perfect in this day and age.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Jay was in no way admirable. His lifelong passion was apparently watching terrible films and poo poo talking them, because that was the conception of a Critic we could hold in our minds. Still, he's not particularly respected and the one time he was given to author a script he turned in something terrible. His fabulously wealthy parents didnt really seem to support him and were mainly there to provide a Bush era conservative foil to things.

You cant really fault the show since it was in that weird 90s bubble where people could find jobs and make a living so economic anxiety was ebbing after the Bush recession.

Really, dude was a proto-youtuber in the mold of JonTron. The web revival that was done 10+ years ago would be perfect in this day and age.

I would watch the hell out of reboot where Jay's show got cancelled and he's now reviewing movies online.

Also: Posting this because it's the best joke in the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsZbSzMi08

Neeksy posted:

Yeah it's really bad and I hate that so many people are so obsessed with trying to recreate TTG's success. At least when Adventure Time was the new hotness all the executives were trying to make a quick buck by hiring creative people and being quirky, hyper-nerdy and experimental. Now it's just terrible comedy writing and lovely Flash animation as far as the eyes can see.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Yeah it's really bad and I hate that so many people are so obsessed with trying to recreate TTG's success. At least when Adventure Time was the new hotness all the executives were trying to make a quick buck by hiring creative people and being quirky, hyper-nerdy and experimental. Now it's just terrible comedy writing and lovely Flash animation as far as the eyes can see.

to be fair the ben 10 reboot isn't flash animated (though it is shoddy looking)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

readingatwork posted:

I would watch the hell out of reboot where Jay's show got cancelled and he's now reviewing movies online.
Unfortunately, today was not the day you should have used that monkey paw wish.

https://youtu.be/maE85PbGyxc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

readingatwork posted:

Now it's just terrible comedy writing and lovely Flash animation as far as the eyes can see.

More than anything this is why I dislike TTG becoming the ridiculous hog it has. CN finds something that sticks and then goes hard trying to follow with it, so at least in following AT you got a handful of cute, thoughtful shows that came out well. Now it feels like it's trying to backslide into cheapo animated Johnny Test levels of "humor," scare quotes deserved, which will hopefully sooner or later get buried once again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

Yeah, I actually like TTG, but I agree there have been far too many shows on CN trying to ape its tone and success.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Jay's father in general is hilarious, even if the "out-of-touch, eccentric millionaire" is a bit of a tired cliché.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Mann posted:

I was always more puzzled why shows were still doing episodes about mumps and measles in the 1990s when everyone had been immunized.

Because there is a lag in the writters experience from when they were kids and the current realities when the show aired.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

I really hate the voices of Huey, Dewey and Louie in the Ducktales remake. Like I honestly can't believe they went with that.

I wish I could see what everyone else is seeing in this remake. Nothing about it has done a single thing for me

:shrug: I'm not exactly expecting to be blown away by it, but from what I've seen so far it looks like it'll be a pretty enjoyable show. The voices are different, but they've grown on me, and I really like the animation style they've gone with, as well as the emphasis on going back to the original comics as inspiration instead of simply treading the same ground as the previous show.

On a related note, there's a new clip that demonstrates a lot of what I like from what they've shown of the new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g&t=6s

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:shrug: I'm not exactly expecting to be blown away by it, but from what I've seen so far it looks like it'll be a pretty enjoyable show. The voices are different, but they've grown on me, and I really like the animation style they've gone with, as well as the emphasis on going back to the original comics as inspiration instead of simply treading the same ground as the previous show.

On a related note, there's a new clip that demonstrates a lot of what I like from what they've shown of the new show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NPoyDlit1g&t=6s

I think there were initial worries that Webby would like a rehash of Mabel (fangirl + grappling hook!). Nope! That's good at least. It doesn't really describe the boys that much.

I do wonder if there'll be a sorta meta scene where someone asks why Donald speaks like a duck whereas everyone else speaks normally.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

readingatwork posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsZbSzMi08

I recall an emergence of art styles that were aping Adventure Time when it was the big thing, only they all looked like poo poo because Adventure Time's art style only works specifically with Adventure Time.

FilthyImp posted:

Unfortunately, today was not the day you should have used that monkey paw wish.

https://youtu.be/maE85PbGyxc

Oh boy, turn of the century dialup internet speed jokes :suicide:

Xelkelvos posted:

I think there were initial worries that Webby would like a rehash of Mabel (fangirl + grappling hook!). Nope! That's good at least. It doesn't really describe the boys that much.

I do wonder if there'll be a sorta meta scene where someone asks why Donald speaks like a duck whereas everyone else speaks normally.

Maybe speaking "normally" is the version of a upper / middle class accent, and "like a duck" is like the blue collar dock worker type accent.
That's all I've got, I hate the nephews' voices too although I can't reconcile that with the fact that there are duckpeople that don't sound duckish even in the original cartoon, other than the fact that they've changed the way they sound from the way it's been for the last 50-60+ years.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 16, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

raditts posted:

I recall an emergence of art styles that were aping Adventure Time when it was the big thing, only they all looked like poo poo because Adventure Time's art style only works specifically with Adventure Time.

Oh boy, turn of the century dialup internet speed jokes :suicide:

Maybe speaking "normally" is the version of a upper / middle class accent, and "like a duck" is like the blue collar dock worker type accent.
That's all I've got, I hate the nephews' voices too although I can't reconcile that with the fact that there are duckpeople that don't sound duckish even in the original cartoon, other than the fact that they've changed the way they sound from the way it's been for the last 50-60+ years.

Though come to think of it, does any other duck in the Disney universe speak like Donald does? As far as I remember the others all spoke normally even in the original cartoons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
You're all dicks for making fun of his speech impediment. And he's already dealt with a ton of No Pants stigma.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

Though come to think of it, does any other duck in the Disney universe speak like Donald does? As far as I remember the others all spoke normally even in the original cartoons.

Donald's speech is mostly a result of his temperament. There's even a recent short where they use a wacky machine to relax him and make him care-free and his voice is normal. There's also a short from '40s where he takes pills to get a regular voice.

These Mickey shorts are all fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7O22GuSc58

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

To be fair, the grappling hook would be a rehash of Mabel only if Webby doesn't actually use it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

These are so ugly and cheap-looking.

Why oh why did Disney get rid of the Mickey Mouse Works AKA House of Mouse people. Their cost cutting was sometimes apparent when somebody's colors were all wrong in one shot or another, but they were far better than this. This is like, "John Kricfalusi draws Mickey and Donald on some cardstock background".

And while I know that Wayne Allwine died, but if this is the Mickey voice that replaced him then Kingdom Hearts III is gonna be hosed, because he sounds more like Walt's amateur recordings playing Mickey in the 40s. I myself sound closer to Wayne when I put on a Mickey voice for small children.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 17, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sounding close to the original Walt is intentional. As is taking Mickey back to being how he was in the original shorts, where he was kind of mischievous and got in all kinds of trouble. The shorts are actually great and the art style I think is beautiful. I personally think it blows that Mickey Mouse Works stuff away and gets back to being more in the spirit of the original theatrical shorts. I just discovered them a couple weeks ago and watched all of them over the course of a couple days. I think they're the best thing Disney has made featuring these characters in probably decades.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Why oh why did Disney get rid of the Mickey Mouse Works AKA House of Mouse people. Their cost cutting was sometimes apparent when somebody's colors were all wrong in one shot or another, but they were far better than this. This is like, "John Kricfalusi draws Mickey and Donald on some cardstock background".

And while I know that Wayne Allwine died, but if this is the Mickey voice that replaced him then Kingdom Hearts III is gonna be hosed, because he sounds more like Walt's amateur recordings playing Mickey in the 40s. I myself sound closer to Wayne when I put on a Mickey voice for small children.

His name is Bret Iwan and he's been voicing Mickey since 2009. I will admit it doesn't really sound as natural as Wayne's impression but believe it or not the current voice used to sound a lot worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

His name is Bret Iwan and he's been voicing Mickey since 2009. I will admit it doesn't really sound as natural as Wayne's impression but believe it or not the current voice used to sound a lot worse.

It's not Bret Iwan. It's Chris Diamantopoulos. They both voice Mickey in different media. Diamantopoulos purposefully uses the voice closer to the original Walt for his stuff. Bret Iwan does the stuff where it sounds more like Allwine.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I loved the Mouse Works stuff because they felt closer to the mid 40s to late 50s stuff that I grew up with. Even my favorite of the shorts, the Goofy "how to do a thing" series, was recreated in a style that was true enough to the old ones, right down to the stuffy instructor's voice trying to keep Goofy from killing himself.

I think, for most people, anything before Lonesome Ghosts in 1937 is decidedly retro and has a lot of "Batman shooting a guy" out-of-character moments. The Band Concert (1935) gets a free pass, mostly because it's the first color Mickey cartoon and nobody except Donald has a speaking line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you've watched any of the Mouse Works stuff lately it's aged pretty badly. The current shorts are more made with a timeless quality in mind where they feel retro but nothing in them is dated.

For instance the Mouse Works Donald shorts on the Disney Treasures DVDs are hard to sit through.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

It's not Bret Iwan. It's Chris Diamantopoulos. They both voice Mickey in different media. Diamantopoulos purposefully uses the voice closer to the original Walt for his stuff. Bret Iwan does the stuff where it sounds more like Allwine.

Huh, didn't realize they had 2 voice actors for Mickey (I know they do for Donald). Is Goofy still voiced by Bill Farmer in the shorts or do they have another actor for him as well?

Iwan is the one that voices Mickey in Kingdom Hearts and most of the major Disney projects so you don't have to worry about that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 17, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

Huh, didn't realize they had 2 voice actors for Mickey (I know they do for Donald). Is Goofy still voiced by Bill Farmer in the shorts or do they have another actor for him as well? Iwan is the one that voices him in Kingdom Hearts and most of the major Disney projects.

Farmer and Anselmo both still do Goofy and Donald in the shorts. And Russi Taylor still does Minnie with Tress MacNeille as Daisy. Mickey is the only one with a different voice, again for more of that original Walt Disney feel.

I'm sure you'd recognize Chris Diamantopoulos from something if you saw him. He's been on a lot of TV shows. And somehow looks like the least likely person in the world to voice Mickey Mouse. He made for a good Robin Williams in a TV movie one time and as bad as the 3 Stooges movie was his Moe was about as spot on as humanly possible.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The House of Mouse segments were far more entertaining than the actual shorts.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

TFRazorsaw posted:

The House of Mouse segments were far more entertaining than the actual shorts.

They were alright. I remember that one episode that turned into a Haunted Mansion commercial.

The only thing that made me sad about them was how pessimistically they presented technology. "Computer Dot Don" was actually okay, because it presents Donald as the weird man out who doesn't 'get it' (even Goofy shows up and calls him a dweeb) and so all the flaws and bugs of owning a PC are embellished for complicating his simple carefree life. But the one where Mickey moves to a new house full of computer systems that annoy the hell out of him was kind of sad, coming from the same lineage that used to tell people sixty years ago that the future is going to be awesome.

I also remember the one where Minnie tried to deliver some snacks to Daisy and winds up in jail for driving into her house. Actually though she's normally the more even-keeled of the two ducks, Daisy in House of Mouse is probably the most :spergin: socially awkward character Disney has ever done. She even drives soft and gentle Wayne-era Mickey ballistic when she winds up with the mice on a road trip.

Edit: That actually sums up my problem with this current weird Mickey: He seems to be cranked up on speed 100% of the time. That and I think they're using "stylistic grunge" as an excuse to cheap out on production.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Craptacular! posted:

Actually they look great and own a lot

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Yeah Mercury Filmworks is one of the few studios to make flash-style animation look good (as long as they're doing something cartoony; what little I saw of Lion Guard didn't look so hot).

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

https://youtu.be/5gi06kH7jmM this is still my favorite thing House of Mouse ever produced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ah Sunscreen. That... "song" was a thing.