Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have any trip reports regarding working at a University? I have a Skype interview lined up for what seems to be an excellent position.

My wife works at a University where they had someone on a team go to the club everyday during the day for an ~unknown~ amount of months until she got caught not being at a meeting and instead of immediately firing her they updated the time tracking policy and nobody actually talked to her. HTH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I will never understand inter-department pissing contests. Working at an integrator I see it all the time, be it inter-department or working with outside vendors. I just want to get poo poo done with the least amount of conflict god drat it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sepist posted:

I will never understand inter-department pissing contests. Working at an integrator I see it all the time, be it inter-department or working with outside vendors. I just want to get poo poo done with the least amount of conflict god drat it.

It's not too complicated. People have pretty cushy jobs and they don't want to risk losing them for any reason, so they make tasks seem much more difficult/long than they actually are and share only the bare minimum of information.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

When I worked at a University we had IT for the campus, IT for residence halls, and IT for every department. The Library had their own IT.

It actually worked really well because that meant people could specialize in supporting their areas, and every area got the attention they needed. With just one huge IT department problems would have been left to languish in certain areas because they weren't a top priority or IT wasn't familiar enough with the issues to address them.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My experience with college IT has been completely understaffed with college students augmented and used as a work-study.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 14, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It can't be any worse than working in Automotive.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

Don't forget the game of budgetary hot potato.

When one department manages to successfully toss a $50,000 turd into another Director's pool, destroying their plans for the year, it tends to sour the relationship. Institutional memory can go back decades and a move like that can fester for the duration of a career.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chickenwalker posted:

Also the 9-5 grind increasingly feels like bullshit when all indications seem to suggest the world is falling apart and we don't really have a future to build towards. All I have waiting as reward for pulling 70-80 hour weeks is environmental catastrophy and the accompanying inevitable recurring economic collapses that will wipe out what little I've managed to achieve.

I was fine with being the goon in the well right up until I realized it was actually a latrine.

Know exactly what you mean, I barely even care about saving for retirement because I don't think I'll live that long or that money will be any good by then, but that's probably beyond the scope of the IT thread.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

When you can lose it all in a stock market crash, a health issue, a housing market crash, etc., it removes the incentive to save. Can't squeeze blood from a stone, might as well spend it now and enjoy it, etc. etc.

Join the DSA today!

orange sky
May 7, 2007

poo poo wrong thread

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have any trip reports regarding working at a University? I have a Skype interview lined up for what seems to be an excellent position.

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes. In my case, everything is siloed, different departments hate talking to each other or sharing information, and budget is basically zero.

Basically this, only minus the monetary constraint. It wasn't all the money in the world, but getting approved budget for necessary new things was generally alright as long as you could show why you needed it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does anyone have recommendation on where to start learning (about) Azure Logic Apps? We're going to be implementing a solution using Logic Apps to communicate with SAP, and I'm going to need to know this poo poo inside and out as soon as the consultants walk out the door, if history proves correct.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Papa John Misty posted:

Does anyone have recommendation on where to start learning (about) Azure Logic Apps? We're going to be implementing a solution using Logic Apps to communicate with SAP, and I'm going to need to know this poo poo inside and out as soon as the consultants walk out the door, if history proves correct.

Azure logic apps are basically Microsoft flows only running as a service in azure. The designer is the same, but I think there are more connector options in azure.

I'm currently using it to provide some additional work flow logic in SPO.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Always Be Checking (MVA) https://mva.microsoft.com/en-us/training-courses/mastering-azure-app-service-part-1-building-azure-logic-apps-16829?l=360DZMY4C_105918563

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how I lived in a world with PDQ Inventory/Deploy. These programs are so great.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I don't know how I lived in a world with PDQ Inventory/Deploy. These programs are so great.

The latest update added a central server configuration for the Enterprise license level, which I'm really happy about.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
There anything better for finding files than regular windows search? That can search over network shares, not just locally?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There anything better for finding files than regular windows search? That can search over network shares, not just locally?

Everything supports network locations.

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/folder_indexing/#how_do_i_add_a_network_share_to_the_everything_index

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You're probably into the territory for some sort of ECM system at that point, searching file systems really stops being sustainable when you scale to a certain point.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanks Ants posted:

You're probably into the territory for some sort of ECM system at that point, searching file systems really stops being sustainable when you scale to a certain point.

I just need to find a file every few weeks when someone goes "hey, I lost (thing), can you find (thing) and Windows Search was getting annoying.

I'll give this a spin.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Thanks Ants posted:

searching file systems really stops being sustainable when you scale to a certain point.

Pfft

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
1500000000 unix time was yesterday and I missed it :(

The Current Unix Timestamp
1500083170 seconds since Jan 01 1970. (UTC)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Don't forget the game of budgetary hot potato.

When one department manages to successfully toss a $50,000 turd into another Director's pool, destroying their plans for the year, it tends to sour the relationship. Institutional memory can go back decades and a move like that can fester for the duration of a career.

Sales is the one that usually tries to lob Budget Bombs at us. Fortunately my management chain (Director and SVP) tell them to gently caress off and pay for it themselves if its so important to become part of the standard sales offer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Methanar posted:

1500000000 unix time was yesterday and I missed it :(

The Current Unix Timestamp
1500083170 seconds since Jan 01 1970. (UTC)

The next interesting one is 1515151515 which is just before lunchtime next january.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Carbon dioxide posted:

The next interesting one is 1515151515 which is just before lunchtime next january.

Oh, all of them are interesting, and I can prove it.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Avenging_Mikon posted:

WSL!

find / -name 'dickbutt.pdf' 2> /dev/null

E: Get-ChildItem C:\ | Where-Object {$_.Name -match "(^dick|butt.jpg$)"}

I think, I suck at PowerShell and regex. :eng99:

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 15, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Or wear a green shirt and appear as a literal floating head.
Buy FaceRig and appear as a talking hamburger.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Collateral Damage posted:

Buy FaceRig and appear as a talking hamburger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUk8PCXa4E&t=5s

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Has anyone dumped tapes entirely and gone to cloud storage for archiving?

It sounds simple in theory but I'm looking for real world experiences.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tab8715 posted:

I've been looking at the slow cloud stuff like Amazon Glacier and would love to read about this as well.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
At my last job we did it with rclone, but our data set was under a terabyte and differential is under 100 megabytes/day. Daily sync to an S3 bucket, worked well enough.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

I'm too paranoid about that s3 outage happening on a larger scale. But YMMV

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

darth_pizza posted:

That only affected a single region, and you can replicate your objects across regions. Also, the outage wasn't as long as it would take to get tapes back from Iron Mountain or another geographically distant off site location.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

darth_pizza posted:

There wasn't any data loss with this, no?

I'm just a little unclear how to back up items that aren't natively supported. I guess I could just save *.vtls in S3 or Azure Storage?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

There was no data loss. It was just a service interruption.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Veeam can throw stuff into the main cloud providers, and they have a Windows agent now for things that aren't VMs

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

There wasn't any data loss with this, no?

I'm just a little unclear how to back up items that aren't natively supported. I guess I could just save *.vtls in S3 or Azure Storage?

Veeam, commvault, rubrik, aws Storage gateway, altavault, any number of things. There are a number of software or hardware cloud gateways that expose cifs or nfs or vtl on the front end and store as s3 objects on the back, plus most backup software supports s3 natively now.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

big money big clit posted:

Veeam, commvault, rubrik, aws Storage gateway, altavault, any number of things. There are a number of software or hardware cloud gateways that expose cifs or nfs or vtl on the front end and store as s3 objects on the back, plus most backup software supports s3 natively now.

Ah hah, so all the backup vendors just re-architected their solutions to work with cloud storage.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Stay relevant or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

Yes and it was awesome. We had the initial seed done by filling up appliances and shipping them to the provider and since then its been disk to cloud for the backups.

I'm phone posting I can give more info if you want when I get to a computer