Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
https://mpc-hc.org/2017/07/16/1.7.13-released-and-farewell/

What's everyone gonna switch to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Dude I was about to post this. It's actually one of my most used programs and has been for something like 15 years. poo poo

Maybe MPC-BE has some devs: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Awww man. Bad news.

Guess I'm gonna give Media Player .NET a try... http://www.zachsaw.com/mpdn/

I put it off because I never really had a reason to and things seem more fiddly. Meh.

Xenthalon fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 17, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

CCCP is probably going to move on to MP .NET.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

MPV is apparently another 'spiritual successor' option. I've yet to decide what I'll move to, but it's a sad day nonetheless. CCCP has served me well for so long

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

MPV is apparently another 'spiritual successor' option. I've yet to decide what I'll move to, but it's a sad day nonetheless. CCCP has served me well for so long

mpv is v. good if you like minimalism and provides pretty much the exact same experience no matter what platform you're on

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

CCCP is probably going to move on to MP .NET.

i used codec packs for the longest time, then I tried just using mpc on its own and it worked just the same for literally everything. what's the point of them in this day and age?

e: looks like cccp hasn't been updated in almost 2 years anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 17, 2017

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008
MPC-BE

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using MPC-BE for a while now. Works just as well as MPC-HC.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

As long as MadVR/LAV exists, you don't need to switch

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yup, looks like developers just jumped ship to MPC-BE. It happens all the time with open source projects (see: OpenOffice, TrueCrypt). Sometimes it doesn't (see: FFmpeg), so you just have to keep up with the news.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Double Punctuation posted:

Yup, looks like developers just jumped ship to MPC-BE. It happens all the time with open source projects (see: OpenOffice, TrueCrypt). Sometimes it doesn't (see: FFmpeg), so you just have to keep up with the news.

Can I get the cliff notes for OpenOffice, TrueCrypt & FFmpeg?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Shaocaholica posted:

Can I get the cliff notes for OpenOffice, TrueCrypt & FFmpeg?

OpenOffice was owned by Sun. They got bought out by Oracle, a notably terrible tech company, and they ignored the project. The community developers forked the code and made LibreOffice. Oracle eventually gave the rights to Apache, but developers didn't move back, and the project is essentially dead and only used by people who don't know any better.

TrueCrypt's anonymous developer one day posted a message that implied the project was insecure and he was discontinuing it. An audit that was ongoing at the time didn't find any major flaws, just a few minor issues that didn't require any breaking changes, so a public team fixed the issues and continues developing it as VeraCrypt.

For FFmpeg, a bunch of developers got mad about some organizational poo poo, left, and forked the code into LibAV and convinced some Linux distributions to switch. However, they were a minority, and not enough people expressed interest in their organization, so the distros eventually switched back.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This sort of thing also happened with Raspberry Pi Kodi distribution OpenELEC, which spunoff into LibreELEC. What happened is essentially egos clashed that may someday be soothed over by a beer summit, but in the meantime the crazed mods of Open drove all the talent to Libre which is released on this year's version of Kodi while Open is still running on last year's with it's ancient interface.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
VLC superiority :smuggo:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This got brought up in a GBS thread but was never genuinely resolved. Why not VLC? What substantive benefits are there over MPC [variant] over VLC? As a longtime VLC user, genuinely interested.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Resource usage. VLC nearly maxes out 2 cores while MPC-HC uses half of one playing the same video. That's mostly fine, except if you're using something on a battery or like watching stuff on a side monitor while you keep doing stuff on your main one.

VLC is good for corrupted video though, it does a better job playing streams from corrupted sources or high packet loss streams while MPC gives up. Being able to play something is worth the extra resource usage, but for anything I've ripped myself and most stream sources MPC-HC is a much better option because of the lower resource usage.

If you're only watching stuff on a desktop using only one monitor and not doing anything in the background I don't think there's much of a difference in the end user experience, and for edge cases of damaged video streams VLC might actually be better.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

craig588 posted:

Resource usage. VLC nearly maxes out 2 cores while MPC-HC uses half of one playing the same video. That's mostly fine, except if you're using something on a battery or like watching stuff on a side monitor while you keep doing stuff on your main one.

VLC is good for corrupted video though, it does a better job playing streams from corrupted sources or high packet loss streams while MPC gives up. Being able to play something is worth the extra resource usage, but for anything I've ripped myself and most stream sources MPC-HC is a much better option because of the lower resource usage.

If you're only watching stuff on a desktop using only one monitor and not doing anything in the background I don't think there's much of a difference in the end user experience, and for edge cases of damaged video streams VLC might actually be better.

doesn't it lock you into using its internal codecs that can compromise video quality with no option to change them. vlc is v. versatile but unless you're using it for one of its weird edge cases you're better off with another player

the ios app is cool and good tho

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 20, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

VLC has supported DxVA on Windows, VA-API/VDPAU on Linux and limited support for VDA on MacOS (x264 only, so it kinda sucks there) for a while. Enable it in Preferences->Input & Codecs, gives quite a speed boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
MPC-BE is nice, because it does support adaptive sync in D3D fullscreen, and it has a bunch of better upscaling shaders than MPC-HC, but the subtitle handling is poo poo. Can't deal with multiple embedded subtitles.

PotPlayer even does it with G-sync windowed mode, but that player is weird as gently caress.

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

As long as MadVR/LAV exists, you don't need to switch
I just can't get MadVR to play without tearing. At this point, EVR CP with Mitchell-Netravali upscaling and enabling the YV12 chroma upsampling shader results in great quality video.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 22, 2017

• Locked thread