Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

There is apparently in car video.

This was at an autox school, where we'd previously stressed that spin means both feet in. Just a lane change element.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
SW20 MR2: Unsafe At Any Speed

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I dunno. As a former SCCA safety steward, I always thought that if there was an accident at an autox that didn't involve massive driver failures (which may have happened here), there were some course design issues.
I've also seen a huge number of autox course design issues. No one seems to understand how far a car will travel even with feet in. And guess who gets to be the bad guy when they bring it up? (Hence the former, gently caress that bullshit, never ever again. Also, if you autox with the Sacramento SCCA you take your life in your hands unless poo poo has changed.)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

nm posted:

I dunno. As a former SCCA safety steward, I always thought that if there was an accident at an autox that didn't involve massive driver failures (which may have happened here), there were some course design issues.
I've also seen a huge number of autox course design issues. No one seems to understand how far a car will travel even with feet in. And guess who gets to be the bad guy when they bring it up? (Hence the former, gently caress that bullshit, never ever again. Also, if you autox with the Sacramento SCCA you take your life in your hands unless poo poo has changed.)

I would agree with you here. We had others spin in the same manor in the same spot at higher speeds without getting anywhere near a pole - it took a lot of effort to get there, significant mistakes were made.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

SW20 MR2: Unsafe At Any Speed

They aren't that bad! I've only ever spun mine when it was wet or like -2° on track and I turned in way too hard on cold tyres.

Shame that white one is pretty much hosed, I guess they could reshell it though.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

nm posted:

Yeah course design always felt a little bit sketchy when I did autocross, did see some kid put a new financed off the lot Camaro SS into a tree with a marshall like five feet away and that really killed my enthusiasm. I felt way way safer making the switch from autocross to karting.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

track day bro! posted:

They aren't that bad! I've only ever spun mine when it was wet or like -2° on track and I turned in way too hard on cold tyres.

Shame that white one is pretty much hosed, I guess they could reshell it though.

I have a non-turbo. The oversteer is really exaggerated.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody have any actual, real-life experience with tire life on RE-71s? I know they are THE fast tire out now.

Running a 1.6 miata, so real slow. Would be moving up from AD08s. HPDE use only, some street.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
6 hours on track. Or a whole season of autox if you're lucky.

Since you're on a 1.6L, buy the 195 RS4.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Why do you suggest the RS4, esp in 195? I'm running a 15x8 FYI.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because they'll last significantly longer than one weekend and the 1.6L isn't going to be helped by either 225s or 245s.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Do you really think the RE71s wear that fast? MY AD08s weren't new when I picked them up and I've done 5 days so far and they're doing great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No, I don't think they wear that fast, they probably only last 4 or 5 hours if it's extremely hot outside and if you like a decent amount of slip angle.

They're also last year's tire tech and Bridgestone wanted everyone at autox nationals to be aiming for the Bridgestone contingency money.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
http://imgur.com/a/KdjF5 Forgot to post these up before... random photos from walking around the paddock at Blackhawk Farms on my race weekend.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Blaise posted:

Anybody have any actual, real-life experience with tire life on RE-71s? I know they are THE fast tire out now.

Running a 1.6 miata, so real slow. Would be moving up from AD08s. HPDE use only, some street.

Are you doing time trials? Or just lapping? There's not much point to burning off RE71s (or Rival S) if you're not trying to win.

I have heard great things about the RS4 from chump teams though.

mekilljoydammit posted:

http://imgur.com/a/KdjF5 Forgot to post these up before... random photos from walking around the paddock at Blackhawk Farms on my race weekend.

That ITS big bumper E30 is pretty sweet. The vintage cars are nice too.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2017

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

Crustashio posted:

Are you doing time trials? Or just lapping? There's not much point to burning off RE71s (or Rival S) if you're not trying to win.

I have heard great things about the RS4 from chump teams though.

I do the same thing, but with slicks. I just bought a set of toyo RR's because they should last a bit longer than hoosier r7's for de/open track days. 275 slicks are slim pickings for options :(

re71's kinda suck on the street, i second the notion to try out the rs4's, since they should be a better street compromise.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Just finished an SCCA double weekend crewing for my dad. Just a regional. Super stoked though - best time at Blackhawk Farms before was about 1:26.0, dropped down to a 1:24.5. Still about 3 seconds off from the absolute lab record, but he's within about a second of the non-national-championships-level fast local guys.

Unfortunately, race ended with what I suspect is a burned up caliper piston seal - brakes stopped working, lots of glycol scented steam and the car making puddles on the ground by that wheel makes it not a hard diagnosis. Oh well, one more thing to add to the pre-race checklist.

Fukkin' stoked though. Next event is Road America for him in the middle of August, then I get to run there in September.

... oh yeah, eye opening thing. Talked to a couple running FFR Cobras, normally with NASA but they came out to SCCA. They said that after 40 heat cycles on a set of Toyo RRs, the husband passes it to his wife and she gets another twenty before risking flatspotting. Coming from running Hoosiers... well, given as how I run Midwest Council and can run wider than stock wheels (dad runs SCCA T4 and can't) I'm thinking about picking up some wider wheels and putting wider RRs on. Because holy crap going a season or two on a set of tires would be ridiculously awesome.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It must be smooth US tracks because our experience with RRs was not significantly more life than R7s before dropoff. And that is takeoff R7s vs brand new RRs.

I'm halfway through my set of NT01s now, I think I'm going to try the Maxxis RC1 next because they are cheeeeeeeeap.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm running RS4's, and can confirm they stick like glue, wear like iron, and work better than Re71r's when it's stinking hot out.

I don't have a comparison against slicks, but one of the fast guys in a stripped out Miata making 200ish at the wheels was just over 2 seconds slower than hankook c51 slicks - 2:20 vs 2:22.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've been running the SUR4 and it's been great so far. Pretty sure it's the Hankook RS3v2 compound.
Heard good things about the SUR4G, which is probably the RS4 compound.

Picked up a set of RT615k on closeout, along with another two SUR4. Hopefully that lasts me to the end of the year (probably won't). :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Unfortunately, race ended with what I suspect is a burned up caliper piston seal - brakes stopped working, lots of glycol scented steam and the car making puddles on the ground by that wheel makes it not a hard diagnosis. Oh well, one more thing to add to the pre-race checklist.

How many events on those seals? We rebuilt ours every season and just carried spare calipers and rebuild kits after having one fail. That's a nasty feeling though, good he was able to get it in to pits safely.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

NitroSpazzz posted:

How many events on those seals? We rebuilt ours every season and just carried spare calipers and rebuild kits after having one fail. That's a nasty feeling though, good he was able to get it in to pits safely.

"Did we change the calipers when we converted from a street car to a race car?" "Uh. Hm. I'm actually not sure now that you bring it up."

It's at least half a dozen events... besides that this weekend my dad went faster than either of us have in that car, with the car heavier than it's ever been (we're ballasted to SCCA's minimum weight instead of running it as is like we mostly had been, which is about a 200 pound difference). And also we hadn't messed with brake ducting because there had never been any sign of issue. And yes, I knew that's not the brightest attitude even before we had a failure, we just didn't want to tear into the car to do it right yet.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

mekilljoydammit posted:

Just finished an SCCA double weekend crewing for my dad. Just a regional. Super stoked though - best time at Blackhawk Farms before was about 1:26.0, dropped down to a 1:24.5. Still about 3 seconds off from the absolute lab record, but he's within about a second of the non-national-championships-level fast local guys.

Fukkin' stoked though. Next event is Road America for him in the middle of August, then I get to run there in September.

... oh yeah, eye opening thing. Talked to a couple running FFR Cobras, normally with NASA but they came out to SCCA. They said that after 40 heat cycles on a set of Toyo RRs, the husband passes it to his wife and she gets another twenty before risking flatspotting. Coming from running Hoosiers... well, given as how I run Midwest Council and can run wider than stock wheels (dad runs SCCA T4 and can't) I'm thinking about picking up some wider wheels and putting wider RRs on. Because holy crap going a season or two on a set of tires would be ridiculously awesome.

I used to crew for some FFR guys, those things are unbelievably gentle on tires. I'm guessing its how much tire they have relative to weighing in around 2400lbs but I could be wrong.

I remember the last year NASA nationals was at mid oh we got more free tires from Toyo contingency than we used. It was awesome.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I guess I didn't think about the "maybe not hard on tires" aspect. Still may try a set though. Then again, the set of R7s we started running before we kept track of heat cycles (I know, I know) is still going pretty well so maybe I've been underestimating the life span.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Would Enkei NT03 be good track wheels for the Focus RS? Can get a set for 1200 shipped and I'm really considering it.

They would be 18x9.5 so could put some decent rubber on there.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah. They're light, strong and A E S T H E T I C
I love them.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Who's coming to track night at NJMP tonight? :D :D :D :D :D

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
Not me, I crashed my car into the wall between turn 4 and 5 at the last NJMP :'(

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm buying a SA helmet since I now will be running a 6pt and HANS (still need to order than HANS too) so I'm looking for something similar fit wise to what I've worn in the past without the ability to try one on before ordering.
I actually fit my helmets correctly size and shape wise, instead of flopping around like most people, so a proper fit, to me, is something that is tight, but creates no hot spots from the shell. It's been my experience that helmets basically break in a full size.

I've spent time in and fit well in:
Small Arai Vector 2
Small Shoei RF1100
Extra small Scorpion Exo400

I don't fit a Bell RS1 since it is too narrow across the crown. Gave one of those away.

I was looking at the HJC AR-10 III. Anyone have experience crossing over from motorcycles and worn these helmets?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 30, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I've used an HJC AR10 (pretty sure it was that model) for the last few years and have no complaints.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

I've used an HJC AR10 (pretty sure it was that model) for the last few years and have no complaints.

Have you worn any motorcycle helmets for any length of time? What were they?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
My SA2000 AR10 had really bad ventilation, I could never use it with the visor down.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm buying a SA helmet since I now will be running a 6pt and HANS (still need to order than HANS too) so I'm looking for something similar fit wise to what I've worn in the past without the ability to try one on before ordering.
I actually fit my helmets correctly size and shape wise, instead of flopping around like most people, so a proper fit, to me, is something that is tight, but creates no hot spots from the shell. It's been my experience that helmets basically break in a full size.

I've spent time in and fit well in:
Small Arai Vector 2
Small Shoei RF1100
Extra small Scorpion Exo400

I don't fit a Bell RS1 since it is too narrow across the crown. Gave one of those away.

I was looking at the HJC AR-10 III. Anyone have experience crossing over from motorcycles and worn these helmets?

I wore an EXO400/700 for over 5 years and an Arai Corsair RX-7 since on my bikes.

I moved to an AR-10 and love it. Go for it!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

My SA2000 AR10 had really bad ventilation, I could never use it with the visor down.

I always had to leave mine cracked but it's the only helmet (of about 2-3 mail order ones I tried since I too couldn't try them on locally) that fit my massive dome. All the others put too much pressure on my forehead.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Blaise posted:

I wore an EXO400/700 for over 5 years and an Arai Corsair RX-7 since on my bikes.

I moved to an AR-10 and love it. Go for it!

My man. Thank you :)

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
FYI You can continue to use an M helmet that you have, just add the HANS inserts and you're good to go. Not much use if you have a SNELL '15 M helmet to go to an SA unless you plan to wear a suit/etc.

My RX-7 was 2005 so it was time to get a newer one.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was thinking about that since I love my Arai, especially since they have literally saved my life twice.
I was worried about the shell thickness not being enough at the tether area and figured MAYBE SA helmets have some extra shell there? Is that a thing?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The huge flat washers (at least what I installed on my old 2005 helmet for HANS) spread the load enough so it should be sufficient.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Nope, my HANS came with instructions to drill and add your washers. I'd keep your Arai if you like it and it's a 2010 or '15 rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, poo poo. May as well save myself $300 then. I ordered the Schroth Super Sport XLT HANS from Ireland since I got it for $322 shipped.