Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dias posted:

i'm sorry to tell you but you bought the wrong console

I bought the consoles my friends play on so it's the right one for me.

Zand posted:

ok? are you saying capcom should make games exclusively for you? lol

its not a ps4 exclusive

I'm not saying they should make it exclusively for me, I'm saying if they didn't make it for just one console (and pc) it would have sold more. Street Fighter isn't a system seller in this decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you arent wrong, but SFV was basically funded by Sony. it wasnte ver going to come out on other consoles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

marvel3 sold like 3 million, right? MvCi could probably still hit 2

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

marvel3 sold like 3 million, right? MvCi could probably still hit 2

between both versions, yes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Street Fighter isn't a system seller in this decade.

PS4 has every console fighting game except 1 and competes in japan. its used for the majority of games at tournaments. the system has a strong focus on fighting games as a genre and the SFV deal definitely swayed purchases

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That is less to do with fighters than it is Xbox being dead in japan.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBX posted:

That is less to do with fighters than it is Xbox being dead in japan.

I dont think we disagree

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh poo poo my bad.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shockingly enough, a genre that is still primarily japanese tends to gravitate towards japanese consoles and consoles that have a high market saturation in japan. And if another console has basically no presence in the country, it's hard to justify the expense to the primarily conservative old guard japanese company heads.

I mean, from a business standpoint, it makes sense.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Spacebump posted:

I'm not saying they should make it exclusively for me, I'm saying if they didn't make it for just one console (and pc) it would have sold more. Street Fighter isn't a system seller in this decade.

If it wasn't console-exclusive it wouldn't have been made because Capcom is cheap/broke/bad at what they do.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

im glad that jubei looks good as hell

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIil6IIEyQY

Tekken 7
GGXrd Rev2
KOF14
BB CF
Smash U
ARMS
SF5

no Gundam, no Pokken, no DBZ (and no Marvel)

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
rofl abigail looks god awful

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Whatever his story is, I'm going to be assuming that he's a guest character from a Clay Fighter sequel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Final fight boss

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I realize this may be heresy at this point but

I'm worried a bit about Dragon Ball Fighter Z.

Like mechanically it'll be pretty different from character to character I guess but they're focusing a lot on everyone's ki techniques and conceptually that feels kind of samey. It's gonna get tedious to play a game where the primary differences are going to be the knockback and hit boxes of Character A's yellow colored laser vs. character b's yellow colored laser.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its gonna be good

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
DBFZ isn't even close to finished. No reason to be worried. This is ArcSys.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like mechanically it'll be pretty different from character to character I guess but they're focusing a lot on everyone's ki techniques and conceptually that feels kind of samey. It's gonna get tedious to play a game where the primary differences are going to be the knockback and hit boxes of Character A's yellow colored laser vs. character b's yellow colored laser.

Visually it looks loving cool, and that's super appealing to casuals like me.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

TFRazorsaw posted:

they already said that the cast revealed so far is very samey and are all in the same basic type of archetype

arc is good at creating diverse casts

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

It's a valid concern. If you're somebody who has a hard time figuring out what's going on in MVC3, it'll be worse in DBFZ, because a lot of the time the entire screen is covered in energy blasts.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's not really a matter of how much time they take, though. It's a conceptual thing.

It hit me when I was watching the Trunks trailer today. You'd think they'd take the time to emphasize his sword in conjunction with the rest of a DVZ-esque moverset, but it focused mostly on the flashy ki blasts. That's the issue with focusing mostly on Z; outside of characters like Buu, you have characters with less special powers and unique techniques like time manipulation or energy blades and the like, and more on laser beams and creating explosions.

I dunno. I feel like that's part of why DB games have struggled as primary fighting games, and while DBFZ will probably be technically deep and whatnot, conceptually I'm worried that it's gonna double down on stuff from the Z era that later installments like Super either found a middle ground from or added more visual and conceptual interest to. Sometimes just doing stuff like adding color to the silly transformations or giving the edgy evil Goku an energy sword can add a ton more fun to things.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its gonna be good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
trunks is already a divergence, he seems to have mostly persistent beams that are mid range and no real major long range attacks

4 of the 7 characters seem to fit the middle ground sort of toolset. frieza is deceptively long range.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anime was right posted:

trunks is already a divergence, he seems to have mostly persistent beams that are mid range and no real major long range attacks

4 of the 7 characters seem to fit the middle ground sort of toolset. frieza is deceptively long range.

That's... not the kind of variation I talked about, though. That's the technical aspect to a fighter. But conceptually they're emphasizing that they're guys who shoot yellow lasers from their hands.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zand posted:

they already said that the cast revealed so far is very samey and are all in the same basic type of archetype

arc is good at creating diverse casts

If you're doing DBZ you kinda have to lead with Goku, Vegeta and Gohan, so you're kinda hosed since they're the more "boring" characters in the series when it comes to techniques.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Even there there's room for variation, just, again, you just need to look outside of Z.

But I digress. I've said my piece, so I'll stop going on like a broken record about all this now.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Game good. Team red best in biz.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Arcsys is good with divergence, look at GG.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

did akuma win tekken

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

did akuma win tekken
Sir Not Appearing in This Top 8

Including character swaps I remember two Jacks, two Steves, Heihachi, Eddy, Lucky Chloe, Dragunov, Feng, Eliza, Kazumi.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Real hurthling! posted:

so with akuma and geese in tekken, i'd have to guess the GG character will also be a badguy (not that one)

GG doesn't really have playable bad guys other than Bedman tbh. I guess Raven/I-No are kinda bad? Maybe the assasins? Everyone teams up sometimes and no one gives a poo poo.

Sol is the obvious iconic call, but I was just thinking that Slayer might be a good fit for Tekken. Orthodox enough to not be too out of place, no crazy mechanics, no projectiles. His options out of dandy step seems like they would fit right in. Tekken really loves their characters with varying attacks out of temporary movement options/stances.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Potemkin.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Jam, although she'd look really weird in a pseudo-realistic style.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

attackmole posted:

GG doesn't really have playable bad guys other than Bedman tbh.

Mishimas are a redundancy.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
im halfway through the Rev story did ram go bad again gently caress

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Reiley posted:

Mishimas are a redundancy.

She's a good guy now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
not only that she hasn't been a villain for like two versions and even then she wasn't the actual antagonist of the game she debuted in

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

She's like the Magus of GG and her movelist is already basically Tekken combos. That counts a whole lot, according to yours truly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
There aren't really any bad guys in Guilty Gear. Just cool guys, and Badguys.