Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

if only Nintendo had the foresight to make controllers that could attach to the tablet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Scholtz posted:

if only Nintendo had the foresight to make controllers that could attach to the tablet

Or with a good center of gravity instead of perched atop a controller

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

perfect for people who can't use joycons in handheld mode because they can only play games with the controllers held parallel to the ground

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shards of Fate posted:

This 3D printed device looks pretty handy.

I want this.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
What I want is a portable dock for my arms that attaches to my belt line so I don't have to hold switch up with my geek muscles.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/163083762999

Splatoon's getting a web anime.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I Am Frick posted:

So there's been a lot of ground made lately on one particular front in the Switch universe that, I feel, should be mentioned in the OP: hacking.

I don't know if this consitutes :filez:, which is why I feel it should be in the OP. If it is, there should be a warning saying to not talk about it.

On that note, in the past week people working the Switch managed to get hold of the kernel, which is a huge step toward homebrew and everything along those lines (which includes piracy, hence :filez:). Is conversation about this allowed? I remember back in the day of the Wii that it was allowed (it even had its own megathread), but not sure how times have changed on this since, at the time, there were even piracy subforums here.
There aren't really any rules against discussion of Homebrew or Hacking (so long as it doesn't stray into the area of piracy), but for me I'd prefer to keep it contained in the Nintendo Homebrew Thread. They got really pissy when we asked them to make a thread for it but it was really clogging up the 3DS thread when the rest of us wanted to talk about, you know, games. This early in a console's life I don't really care about homebrew.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Nintendo should release an accessory that's just a person who can switch cartridges, change controllers and play games for me whilst I sit back and watch instead of having to lift a single finger.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Noice

Also holy gently caress look how long the lines are in Japan to get a CHANCE to buy a Switch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frankston posted:

Nintendo should release an accessory that's just a person who can switch cartridges, change controllers and play games for me whilst I sit back and watch instead of having to lift a single finger.

They are still constructing the Bill Trinen factory.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does nobody there try to import

I mean, especially when games are more expensive in Japan for no reason and this is region free

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Next time I go to japan I'm gonna fill my suitcase with switches and withdraw Yen by selling it to people waiting in lines

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sure if you can find any where you live

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Does nobody there try to import

I mean, especially when games are more expensive in Japan for no reason and this is region free

All those regions with excess Switches, such as

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Sure if you can find any where you live

Improbable Lobster posted:

They are readily available on store shelves in Australia, and I'm still quite surprised the more enterprising independent online retailers haven't tried exporting them to Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's what you think but the boxes are just filled with spiders and snakes

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

In Japan the Switch is "only" selling 25k units or so a week and it's clear the console is severly supply constrained. Crazy to think that the Wii was also incredibly supply constrained the first two years of its life.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shards of Fate posted:

This 3D printed device looks pretty handy.

If only nintendo had planned for this somehow

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

Go Team Dog!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

i already played with the snake and it was fun, time to port Deadly Creatures to the switch.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

China. They're all over the place

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

There's probably a smaller Switch inside

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tons on the shelves in Sweden, and it wasn't long after launch before that became a constant truth.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Tons on the shelves in Sweden, and it wasn't long after launch before that became a constant truth.

I can't imagine importing one from Sweden would save any money over scalping one in Japan.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Likely not, but there are certainly not general shortages. I am not even that sure the shortages are that bad in the US, in that it seems like people who want one will get a hold of one, it just falls short of being on the shelves for very long in a lot of locations.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't seen a switch casually yet in the wild but I imagine most Nintendo super fans in the US have gotten one by now.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The few Americans I know who really want one but don't have one yet seem to only look at the exact moment $325 falls in their hands (e.g. payday) and if one isn't available at the first place they look that instant they spend the money on something else and then complain when I tell them 5 or 6 days later that they're up on Target or Amazon or whatever.

So yes, they are available to be had in the US, but you might [gasp] have to wait a few days and not achieve instant payday gratification levels just yet.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 17, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have Target and Best Buy within walking distance of my office and I regularly make rounds there a few times a week at lunch just for destinations to walk to.

I've seen Switches exactly once since release and I snapped most of them up for myself and friends. That was back in April. I haven't seen any for sale anywhere since then.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I put zero effort into getting one and just planned on snatching it online the moment I could for a normal price. Someone happened to see when it went on sale on Amazon and I just grabbed it immediately.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I went to a Game Stop, Toys R Us, Best Buy, Target, and Wal Mart on a random weekend in late April and only the Wal Mart had stock and they only had 3 left

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Any good toaster purchase stories?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

I got one on impulse for $4 on black friday and the next week my old one died.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Real hurthling! posted:

I pre-ordered mine on day one, and got the last available pre-order at that location. They had to turn away the people in line behind me and send them to go try at the mall.

e: I impulse-bought my actual toaster for bread at Wegmans. It's metallic red and has a bagel button for your thicc breads

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I called a target at opening and got lucky, I hope everyone in here who's searching for one succeeds.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think I pity people looking for the snes mini more to be honest, I'm glad I got a euro import locked in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Bloop posted:

I got one on impulse for $4 on black friday and the next week my old one died.
It died of a broken heart. :oh:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I got the last preorder from a gamestop three states away from me while away on a work trip involving a desperation call to my nearest local store, then driving across state lines in the middle of the Arizona/New Mexico desert twenty minutes before my home store in CST closed, then buying a game stop 50 dollar gift card to lock in the last remaining pre order before the gamestop back home closed by having the pre order transaction done over the phone.

My local game stop is also an hour drive away from me so in total I drove probably 5 hours in total to get my switch.

I then went to my local Wal-Mart that next Tuesday and saw a special edition of Zelda and found out they had switches until earlier that morning, and ended up getting one for my friend in the PNW next week lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

a7m2 posted:

China. They're all over the place

Nentondo Swetch Game device for gaming gamers happy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Real hurthling! posted:

I was using a pop-up toaster for the longest time but am considering switching to a toaster oven, they are so much more versatile and only take up a little more space on the counter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

It died of a broken heart. :oh:

• Locked thread