Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Playable Octarians aren't a possibility because Inkling law prohibits Octarians from owning property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

So how was post release support like in the first game? Added more cosmetic stuff, maps, weapons?

I think I saw it mentioned they have two years of splat fest ideas planned out and they'll support the game for one year at least? Just want to know what to expect. I never got into the first game.

Regular releases of new maps and/or weapons. Plus a larger selection of background music tracks in rounds.

Let me put this way; The reason they went out of their way to mention Sheldon having a fast-forward option in his dialogue was because in the first game if you stopped playing for a few months and came back, he'd likely have a good 5-6 new weapons to talk about having 'just' arrived instock.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ineffiable posted:

So how was post release support like in the first game? Added more cosmetic stuff, maps, weapons?

I think I saw it mentioned they have two years of splat fest ideas planned out and they'll support the game for one year at least? Just want to know what to expect. I never got into the first game.

Yes, they added new weapons for the first... six months of the game? The final set of weapons added were previous ones with slightly new textures and different sub and special loadouts. But for the first six months we got radically different weapons (the inkbrushes, the splat gatlings, the slosher buckets, etc) and a whole slew of new maps and also, yeah, a ton of extra shirts/hats/shoes. Splatfests ran monthly for a year.

They're essentially promising to double that, with a year of updates (mentioned in the Squid Research roundup a week or two ago) and two years of Splatfest support, so they're essentially committing to double the support Splat1 got. And if the game sells really well, who knows what else we might get.

Post-launch support is a key component of the experience, is the point, and it's all entirely free.

Rexroom posted:

Playable Octarians aren't a possibility because Inkling law prohibits Octarians from owning property.

rip

tho I guess that means Marina's just crashing at Pearl's place?

edit:

DalaranJ posted:

Imagine being able to play the game two weeks early, but you can only play against "influencers".

I feel like there's a joke about "You may take Splatoon with you when you go to hell, but" joke in here somewhere.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 17, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah, people who have the game can play online. One of my friends who's an "influencer" has been playing for 2 weeks the jammy oval office

Imagine being able to play the game two weeks early, but you can only play against "influencers".

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

SpaceDrake posted:

Yes, they added new weapons for the first... six months of the game? The final set of weapons added were previous ones with slightly new textures and different sub and special loadouts. But for the first six months we got radically different weapons (the inkbrushes, the splat gatlings, the slosher buckets, etc) and a whole slew of new maps and also, yeah, a ton of extra shirts/hats/shoes. Splatfests ran monthly for a year.

They're essentially promising to double that, with a year of updates (mentioned in the Squid Research roundup a week or two ago) and two years of Splatfest support, so they're essentially committing to double the support Splat1 got. And if the game sells really well, who knows what else we might get.

Post-launch support is a key component of the experience, is the point, and it's all entirely free.

Thanks, this solidified my decision to buy this game day one. A year of support is fantastic and it's always best to get into a multi-player scene asap. Can't wait to jump on on Friday.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're going to lock playable Octolings behind Octoling amiibo, believe it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did they say if you have to reach level 10 to unlock Ranked Battles like in splat1? I don't plan playing turf war at all unless it's a splatfest

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I am super OK with this as long as they print more than like ten of them

It's exactly what amiibo are good for - desirable cosmetic content for your home and game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DalaranJ posted:

You'd get a ton of bonus money from Judd, because those guys all suck hard at video games.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Today I learned that squids (inklings) are different from octopi (octolings).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Forget amiibos. Nintendo needs to release a multi series blindbox of Splatoon minis.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LPG Giant posted:

In Japan, the Octoling soldiers were called Octozons (Takozoness - Tako + Amazoness), because they're all women :eng101:

The weird monster Octarians are, presumably, the males.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 17, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks, this solidified my decision to buy this game day one. A year of support is fantastic and it's always best to get into a multi-player scene asap. Can't wait to jump on on Friday.

No problem! Also, now that Nintendo's Youtube has un-hosed itself, here's the part of the big update that details content updates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnIAN06eSAE&t=1265s

Also, since we do seem to have a bunch of new guys, I guess it does need to be emphasized: Splatoon 1 got a ton of updates over its first six months or so of service (with balance and bug patching continuing until September 2016). It launched with four weapon types - Splattershot-style machineguns, Rollers, Chargers, and Blasters, and in a way the latter was just a single shot mod of machineguns. The updates added Slosher buckets, Splatling gatling guns (with multiple wildly-varying performance envelopes), and Inkbrushes, which could be seen as a mod of Rollers but were wildly different in performance, much moreso than machinegun-Blaster. There were also some more subtle weapon variants, like the Bamboozler, which was a Charger set up to more simulate bolt-action semi-auto rifles from the World Wars (since it was the weapon of soldiers in the Great Turf War a century ago) and Nozzlenoses, which tried to simulate burst-fire rifles. Neither was considered very good for practical use, sadly.

The short of it is, the weapon list more than doubled across the game's update cycle, and that leaves out the Sheldon's Pick variants at the end of the updates.

Splat2 is launching with virtually all those major weapon types, and a year of content updates ahead of it.

Be excited.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, if it isn't the SP unlock, it'd probably be this. I think it'd generate some salt - amiibo availability and all - but I could understand it and way back when the Octoling trigger was found to have been added in 2.0 and the Hack Octoling was a thing, that was the going theory, that it'd be an amiibo of some sort, since the data for the Squid Sisters amiibos were added at the same time.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Forget amiibos. Nintendo needs to release a multi series blindbox of Splatoon minis.

I mean, gently caress it, at this point there's eight of the goddamn things (series 1 kids + Sisters + series 2 kids), so any more and you could fill a bag with 'em.

deadly_pudding posted:

In Japan, the Octoling soldiers were called Octozons (Takozoness - Tako + Amazoness), because they're all women :eng101:

The weird monster Octarians are, presumably, the males.

One of the scrolls in Splat1 shows DJ Octavio in humanoid form, though. :eng101: It's kind of unclear what's going on with the non-Octoling Octarians, though IIRC the art book in Japan (of course) insinuates that they're deliberately-severed tentacles done so to create troops, since octopus arms grow back and are somewhat intelligent on their own because celaphopod nervous systems are actually Lovecraftian irl?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceDrake posted:

One of the scrolls in Splat1 shows DJ Octavio in humanoid form, though. :eng101: It's kind of unclear what's going on with the non-Octoling Octarians, though IIRC the art book in Japan (of course) insinuates that they're deliberately-severed tentacles done so to create troops, since octopus arms grow back and are somewhat intelligent on their own because celaphopod nervous systems are actually Lovecraftian irl?

Horrifyingly awesome

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I have a non-dual band 2.4 ghz router and was thinking of upgrading to a dual band 5ghz one. Anyone with a Switch done this and noticed a jump in better wifi signal connectivity?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How are you supposed to use the Splatoon headset if you have the console docked? Just not use the game audio cord?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spacebump posted:

How are you supposed to use the Splatoon headset if you have the console docked? Just not use the game audio cord?

Why are you sitting more than two feet from your TV you McMansion owning Rich gently caress?

(use an extension cord I guess)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, that Splatfest made the hype SO REAL for me. 3 days 7 hours 3 days 7 hours 3 days 7 hours

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Splatoon 2 is my most anticipated game of 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Splatoon 2 is my most anticipated game of 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, that Splatfest made the hype SO REAL for me. 3 days 7 hours 3 days 7 hours 3 days 7 hours

I've been playing some Splat1 to try and take the edge off.

It might just be making things worse.

Do we have an exact time for when it launches, though? I was assuming it'll be midnight PST on Friday on the eShop, but.

Spacebump posted:

Long rear end extension cords. It's a fairly impractical setup.

Also, speaking of routers, I wish I could upgrade mine. Unfortunately my otherwise-good ISP insists we use the modem-router combo provided.

Of course I'm still suspicious that the problem lies in the Switch's wireless radio rather than the router, given how little trouble anything else has connecting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just put a wireless access point on your existing network and don't use the isp wifi?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LPG Giant posted:

This is my first Splatoon game and I can't tell the difference either.

...are we racist?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

squid tastes better than octopus

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

unless you count takoyaki but that's cheating because that's just a ball of seasoned batter with octo pieces dotted inside

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mmm squid sashimi.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I have a non-dual band 2.4 ghz router and was thinking of upgrading to a dual band 5ghz one. Anyone with a Switch done this and noticed a jump in better wifi signal connectivity?

I was playing the Splatfest on a 5ghz band but since I had never played Splatoon 1 on my new apartment's wifi, I don't really have a good comparison.

At the very least, all of my connectivity errors during the Splatfest happened during matchmaking but since I was on Ice Cream's side that might have partially been the lopsided popularity as well as my Internet. I noticed lag a few times during play where someone would snap out of range or the ink pattern would snap into a new shape, but I never got disconnected while playing or while results were being calculated.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is my first Splatoon game and I can't tell the difference either.

...are we racist?

Inklings just have one sucker at the end of each hair-tentacle, the Octolings have several on each :eng101:.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Also, evidently actual storyline details are leaking ahead of the reviews being open tomorrow. Beware of spoilers, if you care.

If anything I'm surprised it took this long, if "influencers" have had the game for a while now.

And I guess we'll find out if my dumb octo speculation was true or not soon enough :v:

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Says it in the english one too, maybe Octolings are like the Gerudo

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Please stop posting inkling agitprop

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was at the grocery store today and ended up buying BOTH ice cream and cake.

I see what they did there

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
splatoon 2 fake news

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

splatoon 2 fake news

Callie did squid/11

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

The Bloop posted:

Callie did squid/11

I know for a fact that Marie won the Final Splatfest with the aid of Octarian hackers. :sad:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I can't prove it, but Pearl is a plant by the inkluminati and Marina is there to distract scrutiny with her Octoling wiles.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
INKFOWARS DOT COM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jetted Ink can't coat eel breams

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
:byodood: CHEMICALS IN THE WATER ARE TURNING SEAHORSES GAY :byodood: