Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I regret to inform the awful forums that cool hair-having inventor of numerous classic games like BattleToads, Katamari Damacy, and Duke Nukem 3d, John Romero, has died.

He will be most well remembered for his various contributions to the gaming community including but not limited to forging the sword Daikatana and creating the Shadowrun role-playing system and SNES game, which was much better than the genesis version.

He is survived by his wife, children, and the Blade Runner cinematic universe.

rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
john romero looks like john travolta in an alternate universe where he didnt join scientology and instead listened to a lot of primus while smoking hella weed

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
also john romero didnt do poo poo im not even sure what his claim to fame is on any of the id classics considering john carmack wrote the drat things and someone else did the art

was he the ideas guy???

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

He made some sick guitar riffs

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well this Day A Sucks then.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
he aint dead!!!!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Putty posted:

he aint dead!!!!

it's true he'll live on forever in our hearts.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Kick rear end and chew bubble gum, and im all outta being alive to do either :( shake them alien nipples rip

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

op is a liar

https://twitter.com/romero/status/886864325968879616

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I know that at a time like this it's easy to be in denial about John Romero's death. He's a spiritual leader to all of us, but we need to accept his death, find whatever closure we can, and move on with our lives. I feel like that's what he would have wanted.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

No, it's True, John Romero fabled maker of zombie games is dead

rip in piss

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
Contra was another fave of mine by him... shame there won't ever be another.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Those flowing locks of his will keep him strong well into his twilight years. May he continue to make bitches of us all. Amen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You're confusing him with Cesar Romero, television's Joker, who passed away yesterday at the age of 110.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
john romero being a jerk denying his own death

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

nigga crab pollock posted:

also john romero didnt do poo poo im not even sure what his claim to fame is on any of the id classics considering john carmack wrote the drat things and someone else did the art

was he the ideas guy???

John Romero did a lot of the non-engine programming, made the level editor, and designed most of the levels. He is responsible for the overall design of Doom being what it is, instead of the gay crap Tom Hall wanted it to be. He was also by far the least autistic person on the team and thus was able to communicate with other humans, make deals with them, and turn the games into an actual business that made everyone rich.

If you have any other questions about legendary game designer John Romero don't hesitate to ask

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pallid Mask
Apr 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Romero, romero,
Wherefor art thow my sweet romero

-john carmack at facebook hq playing around with his stereoscopic goggle screens

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
A real live woman actually married John Carmack

Pallid Mask
Apr 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

John Romero did a lot of the non-engine programming, made the level editor, and designed most of the levels. He is responsible for the overall design of Doom being what it is, instead of the gay crap Tom Hall wanted it to be. He was also by far the least autistic person on the team and thus was able to communicate with other humans, make deals with them, and turn the games into an actual business that made everyone rich.

If you have any other questions about legendary game designer John Romero don't hesitate to ask

Tom Hall's doom would have been good and cool, but this comment is correct and John Romero is great

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I can still remember the first time I saw The Matrix in theaters thinking to myself, "Man John Romero is an amazing director." :rip:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Magnitogorsk. posted:

John how did you cheat death?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Suck It Down™

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Romero & Carmack were badasses in their heyday :rip:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I like the scene where a guy shoves his head into the helicopter blades. Really shows his chutzpah and directorial ability, that Romero.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Magnitogorsk. posted:

he started dating a teenage romanian girl when he was 30-somthing. he married her and brought her to the us when she turned 18 and she promptly dumped him once she had her citizenship lol

seriously though, romero seems like a cool, interesting guy when his ego is in check and he isn't running around a dallas penthouse telling people to suck it down or chasing underage tail

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

General Dog posted:

You're confusing him with Cesar Romero, television's Joker, who passed away yesterday at the age of 110.

Vale Cesar

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Looks more like Life made John Romero it's bitch.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Magnitogorsk. posted:

he's worth $40 million

The_Franz posted:

he started dating a teenage romanian girl when he was 30-somthing. he married her and brought her to the us when she turned 18 and she promptly dumped him once she had her citizenship lol

that was romero

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
something something my bitch

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
john romero was murdered in cold blood and then eaten

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The_Franz posted:

seriously though, romero seems like a cool, interesting guy when his ego is in check and he isn't running around a dallas penthouse telling people to suck it down or chasing underage tail

Someone post the article Lowtax wrote about it, it's a classic.

On mobile so I can't.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Mega64 posted:

Someone post the article Lowtax wrote about it, it's a classic.

On mobile so I can't.

God Bless You John Romero; Internet Dreams Can Come True

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/god-bless-you/

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
WHY IS THERE A LADY HEAD INSIDE OF THE GIANT SKULL DEMON :cry: ?!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

did patton oswald kill john romero in order to usurp his throne as King of All Nerds? I'm just asking questions but i think the evidence speaks for itself.

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
You had me convinced until you said Battletoads was created by him. Everyone knows Battletoads was created by world renowned game developer Gregg Mayles. Try harder next time, OP

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

weak wrists big dick posted:

You had me convinced until you said Battletoads was created by him. Everyone knows Battletoads was created by world renowned game developer Gregg Mayles. Try harder next time, OP

:thurman:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Im sad, I really liked System Shock

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

john romero looks like john travolta in an alternate universe where he didnt join scientology and instead listened to a lot of primus while smoking hella weed

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

Revolution 60 makes so much more sense now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

weak wrists big dick posted:

Once again someone trying to attribute John Romero's work to someone else. This is exactly like the time someone tried to tell me that the film Akira was created by some japanese guy and NOT John Romero. SAD

• Locked thread