Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

VideoGames what is your favourite Miyazaki movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/RedBardIsCool/status/886972095812562944

As I never finish videogames I don't understand this feeling but the gif is too good not to share

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

littleorv posted:

I dunno about him but Dark Souls is my favorite Miyazaki work personally

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

vg was really into hzd so he'd probably like mononoke or something

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Nausicaä...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Spirited Away is the best and if you believe otherwise I'm sorry but you are incorrect and must try again

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't believe out of the three best selling games of the year here, two are soccer

The source is in german so I can't really tell what research they did but it's probably legit

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

loling @ PES

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Overwatch was hilarious fun during the beta and for the first few weeks of release but every susequent time I've revisited it since its been less fun each time.

As soon as these games develop a playerbase its difficult to have that level of casual fun again :(

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm really glad that Horizon has been so popular.

Italy really liked Infinite Warfare, huh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Samuringa posted:

I can't believe out of the three best selling games of the year here, two are soccer

The source is in german so I can't really tell what research they did but it's probably legit

Wow, I guess the French really do have better taste than everyone else.

also man I wish Horizon Zero Dawn were coming out for PC, but it's Sony so it'll never happen

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Spirited Away is the best and if you believe otherwise I'm sorry but you are incorrect and must try again

Kiki's is better.

I've been watching all the Ghibli films recently and watched totoro yesterday, pretty good. My favourite Ghibli film is whisper of the heart by far

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

This is Miyazaki rather than Studio Ghibli (an important distinction) but with that in mind it goes

Totoro > Nausicaa > Princess Mononoke > Kiki's Delivery Service > everything else > Howl's Moving Castle > Spirited Away

there's a bunch of stuff I haven't seen yet and can't rank though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I always preferred Satoshi Kon's films to Miyazaki's, their psychological fragility and deep-seated melancholy always spoke to me more

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

If yall haven't seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya you're missing out on the best thing Ghibli ever made

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I loved Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke bored me to sleep so statistically hes got a better strike rate than James Cameron.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I never could really get into Miyazaki or Ghibli in general. Something about their style just seems offputting to me most of the time.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always preferred Satoshi Kon's films to Miyazaki's, their psychological fragility and deep-seated melancholy always spoke to me more
Yeah Kon always worked way better for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Satoshi Kon was obviously talented but both Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue seemed to have really weird attitudes towards women, and it hasn't encouraged me to seek out more of his stuff. I'll watch Tokyo Godfathers eventually, though.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Samuringa posted:

It'd be cute if France's best selling games were all by David Cage

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

littleorv posted:

I am afraid I have not seen any Miyazaki movies.
I'm not very knowledgeable on anime or manga either. When I was growing up it wasn't very big in the UK and I've not really gotten into it since. I'm always willing to try new things and learn, though, so if you have any recommendations then I am totally game for it!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

re anime movies watch mind game

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ultimately I don't like either of them even a fraction as much as I like Masaaki Yuasa

Help Im Alive posted:

re anime movies watch mind game

:agreed:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I love all his movies but I can't watch them anymore cause he died way too soon :(

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I honestly don't really get the love for Spirited Away. When it first came out I remember thinking it was decent enough but the showering of praise that it got afterwards made me feel like I was the crazy one. In all the years I've revisited it I still just don't really get it, I just find it kind of weird and alienating. I don't think it has the heart of a Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, or even Kiki, or the sense of adventure of a Porco Rosso (my favorite!) or Laputa.

Pretty much everything after Spirited Away is a huge "whatever", although I did like Kaguya a lot.

E: I am also in the Satoshi Kon camp. I prefer Millennium Actress to any given Ghibli at least. Mamoru Hosoda as well, outside of his pre-TGWLTT movies and Boy and the Beast.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 17, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I'm not very knowledgeable on anime or manga either. When I was growing up it wasn't very big in the UK and I've not really gotten into it since. I'm always willing to try new things and learn, though, so if you have any recommendations then I am totally game for it!

We should watch Baoh sometime, it's short and pretty fun and silly. Dubbed tho cause the dub enhances it imo.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Satoshi Kon was obviously talented but both Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue seemed to have really weird attitudes towards women, and it hasn't encouraged me to seek out more of his stuff. I'll watch Tokyo Godfathers eventually, though.

Tokyo Godfathers is really good and I like it a lot and I really liked how Satoshi Kon depicted homelessness as being a symptom of something much greater rather than just being people being lazy and beggars.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Spirited Away has an absolutely fantastic first act that sells the alien other-ness of the fairy world and the strange logic it works on and then it spends the rest of the movie ruining any sense of mystery or menace. If the whole movie were as good as the stretch from the beginning of the movie to the encounter with No-Face it would probably be the best thing Miyazaki ever made.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Re: Perfect Blue, I always took the sketchier places it went as part of its reflection-without-endorsement of the psychologically-damaging nature of idol culture and how it has permeated the pop culture landscape. But Paranoia Agent is definitely more complicated, ya.

Paprika and Millennium Actress are so good, though. I think Millennium Actress is one of my favorite films, full-stop, ever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Princess Mononoke crew

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If you've watched the Nausicaa movie but never the read manga, I recommend in the strongest possible language that you do so. It's not that long and it's orders of magnitude more elaborate and in-depth. The movie only covers like, the first two (out of seven) volumes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Back when I used to buy DVDs I bought a used copy of Triplets of Belleville. What was actually inside was a copy of Tokyo Godfathers, and that was how I first watched that film. It was a pleasant surprise :)

I've never seen Totoro. Everyone talking about it because of Persona 5 referencing it makes me think I should check it out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

triplets of Belleville was pretty good

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're actually showing some Ghibli movies in some local theaters for free in the next few days here - Kaguya, Nausicaa, Mononoke and Totoro. I caught a bit of Kaguya once on TV and it didn't grab me but I might go and watch the others.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a long tradition of making hacked "Rainbow Editions" of fighting games with stuff like this in them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFWedUJT6J8

It's more of a joke about how sedate and boring SF4 is than a serious attempt at game design, though, at least in this case. :v:

Did they give Ryu and Sakura fart moves?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VideoGames posted:

watch porco rosso, its the best miyazaki movie.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Endorph posted:

watch porco rosso, its the best miyazaki movie.

hmm. when it comes to the best miyazaki movie, porco rosso is up in the air

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I like how it looks.

Ain't buying that poo poo, but I like how it looks.

Palpek posted:

They had me at the clear and vintage look of the black case but lost me at those brown waves out of nowhere. I hate inconsistent design.

It's supposed to evoke the black / woodgrain design of the original 2600.

an actual dog posted:

If yall haven't seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya you're missing out on the best thing Ghibli ever made

I liked the animation but I didn't really care for it storywise

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

artisanal handcrafted ataris

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 17, 2017

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Spirited Away and Mononoke are the normie favourites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Wait, I change mine to Castle of Cagliostro. I completely forgot Miyazaki directed it, probably because it's an older one.

• Locked thread