Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just have veeam pointing to a cifs endpoint on azure storage, works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

skipdogg posted:

Yes and it was awesome. We had the initial seed done by filling up appliances and shipping them to the provider and since then its been disk to cloud for the backups.

I'm phone posting I can give more info if you want when I get to a computer

The AWS version of this is called Snowball. You connect an appliance they send you to your network and do your initial seed there. Then ship it back and you can start uploading deltas.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The AWS version of this is called Snowball. You connect an appliance they send you to your network and do your initial seed there. Then ship it back and you can start uploading deltas.

Snowmobile if you are legit

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Moving from tape to Glacier with an AWS Storage Gateway later this year as part of a cloud migration. It's really well designed, and costs are pretty good.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If you need snowmobile you should just build your own cloud.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Q: Can you snowmobile your poo poo out if you wanted to? or is it inbound transit only?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

No you shouldn't. Why reinvent the wheel when there are companies larger than this who are specializing in this who are better than you at this.

Use one of them for your non-differentiated workloads and get back to doing what makes your company unique.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I'm struggling to find guidelines on the snowmobile free tier, anyone have a link?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

Use one of them for your non-differentiated workloads and get back to doing what makes your company unique.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Nards Pan posted:

I'm struggling to find guidelines on the snowmobile free tier, anyone have a link?

What about 100PB of storage capacity per 45ft shipping container delivered by Semi-Truck, says they have a "Free Tier" available to you? Their pricing is "Contact Us"

Shipping days are not included in your 'on-site' days.

Snowball 50TB for $200, 10 days to transfer your data, $15/day extra.
Snowball 80TB for $250, 10 days to transfer your data, $15/day extra.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000

There sure are a lot of people in a comedy forum taking things at face value.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sniep posted:

Q: Can you snowmobile your poo poo out if you wanted to? or is it inbound transit only?

Snowmobile is both import and export.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There anything better for finding files than regular windows search? That can search over network shares, not just locally?

Agent Ransack is my go to. Filenames, content, regex -- all way faster than windows search.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
When was the last time any of you received a crank or prank phone call? I'm not talking about scammers: I mean heavy-breathers, kids asking you if your refrigerator is running, that sort of thing.

I suspect all of those people have kept with the times and moved to Reddit.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

When was the last time any of you received a crank or prank phone call? I'm not talking about scammers: I mean heavy-breathers, kids asking you if your refrigerator is running, that sort of thing.

They work for SolarWinds now

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Jeoh posted:

They work for SolarWinds now

:perfect:

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Kids these days do catfishing and trolling instead.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

poo poo, I'm nervous. In-place upgrading a *physical* server from over 3000 miles away from 2008R2 to 2012R2 and the machine won't respond after a restart - it's been well over an hour. gently caress. Gonna need to get people there tomorrow and I didn't warn them, fuuuck.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

orange sky posted:

poo poo, I'm nervous. In-place upgrading a *physical* server from over 3000 miles away from 2008R2 to 2012R2 and the machine won't respond after a restart - it's been well over an hour. gently caress. Gonna need to get people there tomorrow and I didn't warn them, fuuuck.

No ILO? Bad day man.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

orange sky posted:

Why would you do... any of that? That all sounds like a terrible idea. Especially the "I didn't warn them" part. But especially the physical server part. And the in-place upgrading from 2008 R2 to 2012 R2. I guess especially all of it.

GreenNight posted:

No ILO? Bad day man.

Also that.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yeah, it's terrible all the way down, but it's what I was asked to do, it's an internal project - I'm waiting on ILO info right now, so wish me luck on that, but it's a long story and I got thrown in here, can't say much else.

E: I mean there's still the option that it's installing a shitton of updates or something like that

orange sky fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 17, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Making mistakes is the best way to learn. This is why I make sure to make so drat many mistakes, I love to learn.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Upgrading a server rather than flattening it, using hardware that is old enough to currently have Server 2008 R2 running, running on physical hardware, no remote OOB access.

It's bad decisions all the way down!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oooh ooh - let me guess! You work for an MSP?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

:iceburn:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Ding! For these last few days, yes :) (I work in another branch of the company)

From what I understand there was actually pressure to do it the right way, but the client wanted it this way

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
"The client wanted it this way" followed up by this statement to their next VAR - "The consultant built it this way!"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress all MSPs qtiyd

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

orange sky posted:

From what I understand there was actually pressure to do it the right way, but the client wanted it this way

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, lovely account reps and then MSPs not knowing when to fire their clients...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Ah yeah, the Backstreet Boys clients.

(Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a heartache
Tell me why
Ain't nothin' but a mistake
Tell me why
I never want to hear you say
I want it that way)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Making mistakes is the best way to learn. This is why I make sure to make so drat many mistakes, I love to learn.

When I was much younger and dumber and working for a copier company, I tried to get scanning working to an old copier and somehow(I know how, but it is super embarrassing) knocked their main file/print server off the network. On a Friday afternoon. The IT guy was like 3 hours away camping and was about to jump in his car and head over but he walked me through fixing it.
That was the day I understood the phrase 'knows enough to be dangerous' and also committed myself to properly knowing what I am doing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I found a bitcoin miner on one of our production instances! :fry:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DizzyBum posted:

I found a bitcoin miner on one of our production instances! :fry:

Redirect those delicious bits to your account.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CLAM DOWN posted:

Being able to say "No" to stupid ideas and requests might be the best part of my job after working at an MSP.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

:same:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

Redirect those delicious bits to your account.

Sadly I just settled for taking a snapshot of the instance and killing the scripts while getting the security and other related teams involved for analysis.

What worries me is that the instance has no public-facing inbound routes, so we're concerned it was an inside job.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 17, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My friend who's at a major bank found a exec or just one below c-level torrenting GoT over the corpNet.

They got a warning.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

My friend who's at a major bank found a exec or just one below c-level torrenting GoT over the corpNet.

They got a warning.

And then when the company gets completely owned in a couple weeks from IP address harvesting, it'll be IT's fault for not stopping this dude.

Forced Protocol Encryption w/o legacy connections ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Director from another department who grated me every time I talk to him is leaving in 2 weeks.

Another notch in the belt of Stripe's theorem: If you hold still for long enough, everything bad will fall away and you'll fall up the ladder of success.