Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to ask is the OP still in date in regards to fighting sticks? I have a PS4 and guilty gear/street fighter v and want to get a stick. I've never had one before and am a bit uncertain what to go for. Any advice you could give would be hugely appreciated.

Apologies for that; the stick section in the OP is definitely outdated (and also I need to go through and manually rehost all the images god loving drat it). Madcatz had a really good run of making the best all-around sticks, but that shifted in this generation and people are going with Qanba, Eightarc, and even Razer now.

Be really super careful about trying to get a "bargain" or "entry-level" stick, because they often suck butt and you don't want the challenge of learning to play on stick to be compounded by the fact that your stick doesn't work well to begin with. Hori is pretty passable for being non-high-end, but don't stray from that if you're not ready to go for a full price stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
budget stick is code word for garbage

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Apologies for that; the stick section in the OP is definitely outdated (and also I need to go through and manually rehost all the images god loving drat it). Madcatz had a really good run of making the best all-around sticks, but that shifted in this generation and people are going with Qanba, Eightarc, and even Razer now.

Be really super careful about trying to get a "bargain" or "entry-level" stick, because they often suck butt and you don't want the challenge of learning to play on stick to be compounded by the fact that your stick doesn't work well to begin with. Hori is pretty passable for being non-high-end, but don't stray from that if you're not ready to go for a full price stick.

Thank you massively! Is there a place people usually buy them other than amazon? My countries store seems a bit lacking and I wonder if it is because the whole fighting game scene might be bigger in America?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think if they're going to put a GG character in Tekken it'll be Slayer, he doesnt have anything too out of place and dandy step is a perfect Tekken-style move.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

VideoGames posted:

Thank you massively! Is there a place people usually buy them other than amazon? My countries store seems a bit lacking and I wonder if it is because the whole fighting game scene might be bigger in America?

where you at? if its closer places like play-asia might work

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

Yep, you can get them directly from the source (e.g. http://www.eightarc.com/ , which also sells Qanba sticks), or Focus Attack or Paradise Arcade are two other well-liked shops for FG gear.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

paradise is based off of western us, focus attack is east coast if you wanna take that into consideration

also paradise sends you hawaiian candy with your order sometimes :3:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Was the UNIEL sprite in Blazblue Crosstag Battle new or a Mugen rip from UNIEL?

dragon enthusiast posted:

They got $6mil in round 1 VC funding lol

For reference. Skullgirls had a budget of $2 million.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016

Everyone is making GBS threads on Abigail, but I'm not really sure why. Hugo would have been better, but no one is saying that either. idgi. I hate to say this, but I really think it's just the haters showing up en masse.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
SF5 is a bad game that's beyond salvation at this point, so nothing they do is going to get a warm reception.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Cis Lord posted:

Everyone is making GBS threads on Abigail, but I'm not really sure why. Hugo would have been better, but no one is saying that either. idgi. I hate to say this, but I really think it's just the haters showing up en masse.

The anatomical proportions on that character model are bad in a way only people with very specific fetishes pursue.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Cis Lord posted:

god drat those haters... pathetic creatures

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brosnan posted:

Yep, you can get them directly from the source (e.g. http://www.eightarc.com/ , which also sells Qanba sticks), or Focus Attack or Paradise Arcade are two other well-liked shops for FG gear.

Good grief everywhere on these seem to be sold out of stock!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

where you at? if its closer places like play-asia might work

But this seems like it might be the perfect place to get things! :D Thank you both!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Abigail's a good choice.

Abigail from Stardew Valley.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

VideoGames posted:

Good grief everywhere on these seem to be sold out of stock!

But this seems like it might be the perfect place to get things! :D Thank you both!

The next step after getting one is tearing it apart to replace the panel art with animes. I'm sorry; it's inevitable.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I quite like the look of the Qanba Crystal and think when my paycheque comes in at the end of the month that I might splurge a little :D

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

VideoGames posted:

I quite like the look of the Qanba Crystal and think when my paycheque comes in at the end of the month that I might splurge a little :D

it's trash with knock off parts

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
if your looking for a stick that doesn't cost too much it's called the mayflash 3000. it's a budget stick but all the parts a easy to replace. I was using it before I bought a te2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Saint Freak posted:

Abigail's a good choice.

Abigail from Stardew Valley.

Super Street Farmer II: Tractor

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Super Street Farmer II: Tractor

Put in the beat up the car game from Final Fight

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

having your first stick be one that you got to change poo poo out on is a bad experience imo

id look for an obsidian if you can find one, there was a goon here trying to sell his Panthera as well which is a good stick

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Cis Lord posted:

I agree that Abigail doesn't look bad, but at this point Capcom has enough consecutive fuckups under their belt they're gonna need to do something actually exciting if they want people to care again.

I liked s1 of sf5 quite a bit, then felt s2 was somewhat of a downgrade, and instead of fixing the issues I had with it Capcom has been failing to deliver on even the most basic promises like keeping their dlc schedule or "fixing" cfn.

E: not to mention that ASW, Namco, and even Arika are hitting it out of the park with all of their upcoming games and content, it's hard to think of a reason to go back to sf5.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 17, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Reiley posted:

The anatomical proportions on that character model are bad in a way only people with very specific fetishes pursue.

cabbagepots isn't into dudes

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zand posted:

it's trash with knock off parts

Oh! I didn't realise.

I'm not looking for budget, but due to the fact that I pretty much have no fighting game experience I don't want to spend too much in case I don't have much fun. I thought that sort of price was feasible without going too crazy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Was the UNIEL sprite in Blazblue Crosstag Battle new or a Mugen rip from UNIEL?
it's deffo just a straight rip from uniel.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Was a weird decision by capcom to fill season 2 with random side characters instead of well-known characters people liked from other games. Was there any reason for them to put this guy in and not, say, Hugo? That would at least get some people excited.

That said this character looks ugly as gently caress but his design isn't much worse than other SFV characters. Glad I stopped giving capcom money after season 1 though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Oh! I didn't realise.

I'm not looking for budget, but due to the fact that I pretty much have no fighting game experience I don't want to spend too much in case I don't have much fun. I thought that sort of price was feasible without going too crazy.

Be prepared to spend like 150. There's decent places to sell sticks too if it's not your thing. I will say, Hori's new line is out soon. The HRAP N is 130 most places and It's a really good stick.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

abigail would have been cool if he started out normal grappler size and his v-trigger was to become so huge he cant be crossed up

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Get a good stick because if you find out you don't want it anymore you can sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Oh! I didn't realise.

If you're seeing if you like FGs to begin with you could look for a pad instead of going all-in on an arcade stick. There are a few pads that put two shoulder buttons on the face for a full six buttons and have better d-pads, but people have had success playing on Playstation controllers. If that's the input method you grew up with it might be the natural fit for you, and if you like the games you can branch out and try a stick, but there's nothing wrong with a pad and it could be a cheaper or more accessible alternative to trying out the genre.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Endorph posted:

it's deffo just a straight rip from uniel.

drat. Game is budget as gently caress. I thought it was at least touched up CvS2 style.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i actually like Abigail, he looks really funny and SF has a history of funny dudes and i dont think every new character needs to just be and old one with a shittier toolkit than they used to have. unfortunately SFV is poo poo so i dont actually care, but i mean he basically has potemkin proportions so thats cool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

drat. Game is budget as gently caress. I thought it was at least touched up CvS2 style.

it probably is a little in terms of like, being upressed somewhat to make it the same size as the bb/p4 sprites, but the animation on hyde looked exactly the same

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

VideoGames posted:

Oh! I didn't realise.

I would get a full size stick where it is easy to change out the parts, or something with good parts. Anything 'mini' size isn't worth it. Hori RAP might be a good one to look at. Hori Fighting Commander is a great and affordable option if you want a pad instead of a stick.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Oh! I didn't realise.

I'd say either use keyboard or controller until you figure out if fighting games are something you enjoy. Shouldn't take more than a week or so before you decide if you like em or hate em.

E: then you can pick up a cheap stick when everyone is selling them a month after Evo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you all for the additional advice :D the Hori Rap4 is only £116 on amazon and that is definitely doable.

I'd rather not use a pad for this sort of thing as I've always prefered the feel of sticks from my younger days of playing platformers with joysticks (good old Atari ST!) and felt that some of the combination moves might be a tad more fun to do with a clicky stick.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

VideoGames posted:

Thank you all for the additional advice :D the Hori Rap4 is only £116 on amazon and that is definitely doable.

I have a rap4 and have to say it's probably one of the best sticks on the market. Only con is the location of the start button, I bumped it a ton the first week of having it.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zinkraptor posted:

Even counting Raven, after Rev 2 most of these characters aren't really antagonists anymore (except That Man, but he's not playable). Raven only became playable after he started being portrayed a lot more sympathetically, and I don't think Jack-O was really ever an antagonist to begin with, now that I think about it. I-No might still be - I think her motivations and goals in Rev were supposed to be ambiguous, but I admit I wasn't paying that much attention to any scene that didn't have Robo-Ky in it.

Daisuke told me that I-no is a good guy now and she's going to marry Axl this Tuesday

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Countblanc posted:

i actually like Abigail, he looks really funny and SF has a history of funny dudes and i dont think every new character needs to just be and old one with a shittier toolkit than they used to have. unfortunately SFV is poo poo so i dont actually care, but i mean he basically has potemkin proportions so thats cool

I want to like all the new SFv characters but everytime I try to play the drat game I quit in half an hour and go play Tekken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VideoGames posted:

I'd rather not use a pad for this sort of thing as I've always prefered the feel of sticks from my younger days of playing platformers with joysticks (good old Atari ST!) and felt that some of the combination moves might be a tad more fun to do with a clicky stick.

I highly recommend hrap its a solid stick and easy enough to mod and get new stick art