Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

surprising how much software queries the os for the correct way to localize numbers, and then proceed to interpret them incorrectly themselves

excel csv import is especially maddening, i don't think i've ever seen a csv actually localized to use commas as decimal marks, except possibly as exported from excel

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

EUgh

pram
Jun 10, 2001
mate

pram
Jun 10, 2001
$1.000,00 dollary-doos

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

pram posted:

$1.000,00 dollary-doos

an un-deece six figgys

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wasn't there some dude that wanted to screw around with this functionality in a .NET lib at some point and got really mad about people crushing his dreams when they told him it was a dumb idea

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
its poo poo op

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

wasn't there some dude that wanted to screw around with this functionality in a .NET lib at some point and got really mad about people crushing his dreams when they told him it was a dumb idea

almost certainly, .net people have dumb ideas as a rule

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
SAP uses the decimal as a comma out-of-the-box, about half of our US customers are smart enough to fix it.

Of those, about 1/2 will only fix it some/most of the time. It only occasionally causes problems but it looks damnably sloppy.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

hosed up!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pram posted:

hosed up!

Proof that the Germans really did win the war.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you know who used a comma as a decimal mark?

that's right

:hitler:

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Comma as a decimal is a special form of hideousness.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the russians just wrote dollars and cents

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

can you explain what sap does? i havent been able to figure it out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
A bunch of boring backoffice poo poo

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

saps capital

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

you sap my will to live, etc etc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

you know those internal business applications that are horrible and unmaintanable yet somehow mission critical?

SAP figured out a way to make money off of them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

you know those internal business applications that are horrible and unmaintanable yet somehow mission critical?

SAP figured out a way to make money off of them

this still doesnt answer my question :mad:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mishaq posted:

when there is a job to be done and it requires materials from two different warehouses and someone to be called in to transport the materials from one of them (and picking it up makes the number in reserve fall below the required number so a purchase also needs to get made) and some extra money billed because a key person is required to work a bit of overtime and everything needs to be summed up and taxed at a different rate because it falls under a certain category of energy saving maintenance there would historically be about 47 forms to fill out and juggle all over the company to keep it together. SAP ups that to 47,000 virtual forms, but does actually do all the juggling and approval-tracking and binding all of it together

tbqh the main problem with explaining sap is that it sort of on a basic level amounts to being an sql database with a ton of code on top serving as defaults for various paperwork tasks, and what parts of that actually gets used depends entirely on the structure of your organization

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also any user facing component is terrible

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

when there is a job to be done and it requires materials from two different warehouses and someone to be called in to transport the materials from one of them (and picking it up makes the number in reserve fall below the required number so a purchase also needs to get made) and some extra money billed because a key person is required to work a bit of overtime and everything needs to be summed up and taxed at a different rate because it falls under a certain category of energy saving maintenance there would historically be about 47 forms to fill out and juggle all over the company to keep it together. SAP ups that to 47,000 virtual forms, but does actually do all the juggling and approval-tracking and binding all of it together

tbqh the main problem with explaining sap is that it sort of on a basic level amounts to being an sql database with a ton of code on top serving as defaults for various paperwork tasks, and what parts of that actually gets used depends entirely on the structure of your organization

so instead of writing bastardized enterprise garbage applications to do this myself, i can pay for sap software that claims to do this for me, but i have to spend even more time either learning how to develop in sap myself or hiring outside firms to customize it for me, costing even more money

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

mishaq posted:

so instead of writing bastardized enterprise garbage applications to do this myself, i can pay for sap software that claims to do this for me, but i have to spend even more time either learning how to develop in sap myself or hiring outside firms to customize it for me, costing even more money

Yes. This applies to all ERP software.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

thebigcow posted:

Yes. This applies to all ERP software.

p much, it's like the super 8-dimensional hell venn overlap of business software, it services and all your company's dumb processes

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
SAP:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
at a previous company I was at they were doing a huge like 1.5+ year project to migrate to SAP and I ran into some of the poor new hires that were basically going to be BPEL slaves to do maintenance after they finished up with the big offshore consulting company that would do a lot of the work

the only really amazing thing that happened was they actually managed to complete the migration

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mishaq posted:

Every night since I started here I cry myself to sleep while silently screaming this question at the uncaring ceiling.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

But this, more-or-less, I think?

I dunno man, I just provision the servers.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how about splashing out for a caring ceiling you cut price mother fucker

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Other ERP problems:

Companies that won't change their process to match how the software works. They either do a bunch of extra work for no good reason, or pay for "customization" which breaks on every other update of the base software.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that's a problem with all companies/people and computers

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
My online bank lets me type a period, because it's conveniently on the numpad. It then autocorrects to a comma.

Also :geert:

Nevermind, that guy's also got dumb hair. And is a nazi too.

Where'd the one go with the crying windmill?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
here it's inconsistently a comma or a decimal point to denote the decimal boundary. hosed up but true. supermarket website uses point, bank uses comma

altho i honestly dont really care either way. it was a bit weird at first when i moved here but now i'm used to it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a lot of financial applications are set up to only accept input including the decimal, so to get $200.00 you need to type 20000 and it reformats it in the field

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
forms should only accept " and 99/100" suffix like you write on checks just to be on the safe side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:DecimalSeparator.svg

green ftw

• Locked thread