Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
a horny girl wolf talks to you in stitcher though. still want to hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Hmmm. Go on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I get the horny girl wolf on soundcloud

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I don't understand how they made the jump to an even worse app.
are people serious when they're talking about stitcher being worse than howl? because howl was literally unusable 90% of the time i tried to use it. it could take me 10-15 minutes to get it playing a single podcast episode and would often crash while playing. straight up locked on my phone constantly.

stitcher still doesn't have the basic functionality that i get from free podcast apps, but it actually plays podcasts which i cannot say about howl

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I've honestly never had any issues with Howl. I've been plowing through the NNF back catalogue and listening to new stuff here and there and haven't had a problem.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Help Im Alive posted:

I get the horny girl wolf on soundcloud
Awoo😘

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

cams posted:

are people serious when they're talking about stitcher being worse than howl? because howl was literally unusable 90% of the time i tried to use it. it could take me 10-15 minutes to get it playing a single podcast episode and would often crash while playing. straight up locked on my phone constantly.

stitcher still doesn't have the basic functionality that i get from free podcast apps, but it actually plays podcasts which i cannot say about howl

For me, stitcher keeps losing my place in the episode if I pause, or someone calls while listening. Also the listen later thing never seems to actually download and sort the newest episodes. Howl sucked roo, but stitcher seems so much worse.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cams posted:

I did not have any problem with the howl app on IOS ever, really. Had to close and restart it a couple times over the years. Stitcher keeps putting podcasts I'd never listen to on my home screen, gotta search around for what I want, gives me that stupid half-plugged-in-guitar error sound all the time.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

huh. maybe it's cause i use android that my experiences are different. i was not exaggerating when i said that 90% of the time i tried to use the howl app, it would just straight up freeze.

when i finally moved over to stitcher, i was pleasantly surprised to find that it would actually play the podcast when i pushed play and would not crash after 15 minutes.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

will hines is doin an ama right now if you want to ask him questions

https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/6nvmng/im_will_hines_a_human_being_who_has_been_on/

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

idk if this was already known but Jessica McKenna and Zach Reino are doing an improvised musical podcast starting next Tuesday (it seems to be an actual podcast and not just a howl thing)

OFF BOOK: The Improvised Musical Teaser!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

idk if this was already known but Jessica McKenna and Zach Reino are doing an improvised musical podcast starting next Tuesday (it seems to be an actual podcast and not just a howl thing)

I don't know who Zach Reino is but sounds as good as heck.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

Much like Mary Holland's podcast TAPPED, I will subscribe just because. I hope it's good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
My brother & I bought each other the UTU2TM Torque shirt for part of our birthday presents (2 days apart). We are nerds....

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Seconding subscribing to McKennas podcast because I have a huge crush on her it sounds great!

Also, Spencer from Harmontown on Hollywood Handbook :vince: And they "play a game"? Is this going to be a make fun of Harmontown ep with a pretend Dungeons & Dragons bit? Oh boy. Also Spencer is usually more than game to slyly poo poo on Dan/everything.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Very unpopular hot take: I find Hollywood Handbook pretty much unlistenable these days. It went from far and away my favorite podcast to just a rambling mess that I'm skipping more and more episodes of. I get that they got tired of doing the same thing after a while so the show had to change, but personally my favorite episodes are all at least 2 years old - Tom Scharpling, Kumail, Scuzz, Jes Maccallan, Tracey Wigfield, Mary Holland. There's obviously been lots of great episodes since then, but something like the sublime 15-minute anti-comedy rant from the Tracey Wigfield episode feels like it's out of an entirely different show. The jokes now are so impenetrably meta and stream of consciousness I can barely even follow them after listening for 4 years, let alone recommend to anyone else. Also why do they keep trying to make Kevin a thing? #CODYBOYZ

I just listened to the Off Book teaser and it seems like I have a new favorite podcast now though so life goes on..

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah I've been skimming over it more recently. They obviously want to do it less, and it shows.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't listened to the most recent HH yet but the Matt Gourley one last week was probably one of my favs

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I haven't listened to the most recent HH yet but the Matt Gourley one last week was probably one of my favs

sshut up.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Unmerciful posted:

Very unpopular hot take: I find Hollywood Handbook pretty much unlistenable these days. It went from far and away my favorite podcast to just a rambling mess that I'm skipping more and more episodes of. I get that they got tired of doing the same thing after a while so the show had to change, but personally my favorite episodes are all at least 2 years old - Tom Scharpling, Kumail, Scuzz, Jes Maccallan, Tracey Wigfield, Mary Holland. There's obviously been lots of great episodes since then, but something like the sublime 15-minute anti-comedy rant from the Tracey Wigfield episode feels like it's out of an entirely different show. The jokes now are so impenetrably meta and stream of consciousness I can barely even follow them after listening for 4 years, let alone recommend to anyone else. Also why do they keep trying to make Kevin a thing? #CODYBOYZ

I just listened to the Off Book teaser and it seems like I have a new favorite podcast now though so life goes on..

Funny, because I'm exactly the opposite. I kinda liked the show at first but then got tired of it. As of late it's become my favorite podcast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Well if you're tired of the show lately you can take some solace in the fact that this is the last episode

(I don't think they're tired of doing a show, but "What the hell even is this show" seems to be the question they can't answer for themselves. I've enjoyed the run of "We're going to be doing other peoples' podcasts better than them" episodes.)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
The doing other people's podcasts for them bit is working.

I really miss the bits before the guests like "Teaser Freezer".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Can we at least agree the popcorn gallery was bad and the show is better without it

"...you guys are dicks"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Cloks posted:

Agreed. The opening segments had some of the show's best material.

Help Im Alive posted:

Can we at least agree the popcorn gallery was bad and the show is better without it

Hmmm...I'm torn. The actual question/answer stuff wasn't great, but Sean doing the drops/having to deal with guests who refused to play along with the "These are prerecorded drops, I am not making mouth noises into the microphone" conceit was very good.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Cloks posted:

I really miss pre-guest segments, but they do require some level of preparation in order for them to work.

My speculation is that Hayes has gradually become less involved with pre-planning aspects of the show compared to a couple years back. He is more of the Aukerman-type host between the two of them, and he almost always introduced and ended segments. Without a set structure, HH becomes a lot tougher to follow. The Popcorn Gallery is dumb, but it gave them a reliable escape hatch if they ever needed to bail on a bit.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bring back the Pro Version and call out Earwolf forums members.

I'll never forget the name Anastasia Vigo because of the pro version, and. I never use the Earwolf forums.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Eh... wrong! I always enjoyed Popcorn Gallery if only for Sean's friend Mark's sound drops (he was the funny one in high school). I keep mentioning the Wigfield ep. but the drops in that one are just hysterical. Teaser freezer, Gmail roulette, 6 degrees of Cabocation (deep cut)... I miss them all - they kept the show from getting too loose and up its own rear end.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't know who Zach Reino is but sounds as good as heck.

You've never seen the Sugar Ray musical or Mantis Shrimp: An American Hero?

Also I love the Zachary and the Jess and can't wait for the podcast.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 18, 2017

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
The Popcorn Gallery was completely saved forever from being bad when they dropped this gem on Stephanie Allyne in episode #106:

“Stephanie,

You were on an episode of The League. Did that guy ever show any signs that he hadn’t really been involved in 9/11?”

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Bring back the Pro Version and call out Earwolf forums members.

I'll never forget the name Anastasia Vigo because of the pro version, and. I never use the Earwolf forums.

I mean she's got her own Earwolf profile page.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Unmerciful posted:

didn't read this post, hollywood handbook is the best podcast every week it comes out

the holly prazoff epidode was not the best podcast that specific week, but every other week. best podcast.

edit: hm people are saying the holly prazoff episode was good, so maybe it was the best podcast that week also

cams fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 18, 2017

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Tatumje posted:

The Popcorn Gallery was completely saved forever from being bad when they dropped this gem on Stephanie Allyne in episode #106:

“Stephanie,

You were on an episode of The League. Did that guy ever show any signs that he hadn’t really been involved in 9/11?”

The best. Normally I prefer when the guest plays along, but her very earnest reactions in that episode were great. Also the joke about how she's the only one on her basketball team who didn't sell a pilot that season because she scored a goal in the wrong basket and gave the other team a pilot.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

earwolf podcasts told me that the back catalogue of doug loves movies is up on stitcher premium. this does not seem to be accurate.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I don't think there's an easy answer to "What is Hollywood Handbook?" anymore. It's just Sean and Hayes drifting in the wind and getting into as tight of a meta spiral as they can, while not committing to it at all. It's wonderful, and I agree with the poster that said it's one of my favorite podcasts now that they've dropped the segments and format, but I can definitely see why some don't dig that. I think I just like the show as a firehose for Sean's personality.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unmerciful posted:

Eh... wrong! I always enjoyed Popcorn Gallery if only for Sean's friend Mark's sound drops (he was the funny one in high school). I keep mentioning the Wigfield ep. but the drops in that one are just hysterical. Teaser freezer, Gmail roulette, 6 degrees of Cabocation (deep cut)... I miss them all - they kept the show from getting too loose and up its own rear end.

His job of slamming dumpsters together always made me laugh. It's the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I liked the sound drops where he kept hurting his fingers because the popcorn was too sharp

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Remember when Mark pulled a dry piece of popcorn out of a bag of wet popcorn? Good times.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

If HH is half as funny as what you guys are posting out of context it's probably really bad!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

If HH is half as funny as what you guys are posting out of context it's probably really bad!

are you the guy from last time who tried to win an internet opinion fight about how you don't like hollywood handbook therefore it is bad?

cause you should keep that going

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cams posted:

are you the guy from last time who tried to win an internet opinion fight about how you don't like hollywood handbook therefore it is bad?

cause you should keep that going

Yeah, that's me, winning internet fights all day long about how HH is bad.

edit: if making fun of HH is wrong I don't want to be right