Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

nachos posted:

Does The Climb count?

Never heard of it and steam search isn't turning up anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zereth posted:

I still want to see a genuine walking simulator.

Like, I mean, a hardcore high-detail hiking sim game. I wouldn't play it, I just want it to exist.

The Climb is a VR climbing game, Oculus exclusive. There is an orienteering sim, can't remember the name.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's QWOP.

Anti-walking simulator: https://jayisgames.com/games/you-have-no-legs/ (enable flash)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zereth posted:

Like, I mean, a hardcore high-detail hiking sim game. I wouldn't play it, I just want it to exist.

Miasmata

The majority of the gameplay is filling in your map using the orienteering system, and movement is momentum-based so you can easily kill yourself by jogging down steep hills too fast.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zereth posted:

The Path :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Not really a steam thing, but I got the free demo or Mass Effect Andromeda, and it's fine (after a swag of animation fixes and bug patches, I guess). It's maybe a little bland but certainly not bad. When is it supposed to get bad, or was it just internet hysteria?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Oh yeah, I remember you posting that in the Prey thread when I was on my phone. I was going to ask if it wasn't because there's an electrical junction right outside that door which - at least for me - has always been broken by phantoms by that point in the game and was electrifying him as you went past?

If you save certain people they will formulate a plan whereby you kidnap the bad guy at the end, Dahl, and brainwipe him to fly you off the station.

Electrical conduits were all fine, I was just getting hosed by some sort of physics bug for awhile I think. The key was discovering that I could watch his health drop from full to zero the instant that I dropped him, at which point it was clear that I should go back an autosave and try to just be super delicate with him

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Took the game about 10 hours to get seriously lovely for me; the gameplay loop of raising planet habitation ratings via poorly written missions, killing samey enemies, crafting material collection, and the remnant vaults got loving old by the third planet. The writing is the biggest offender for me, they try to emulate Joss Whedon (who I love) and fail spectacularly and it all ends up coming off like Tumblr wrote the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HenryEx posted:

I've played through the game thrice (twice in completely opposite ways) and never encountered a quest where i had to bring someone anywhere, much less a med bay or through zero g. What are you talking about

have you ever seen the quest to incapacitate Dahl and remove his neuromods? If you take out his named operator outside of the station and go to the arboretum to meet Alex, then Dahl shows up outside of Alex's safe room and a timer begins; at this point you have to either kill or incapacitate Dahl or else he will kill Alex. The Dahl quest then won't proceed until you talk to Alex and trigger the arrival of the apex typhon. When that happens, the quest updates and says you have to move Dahl's unconscious, floating body through the low-grav environment down to the medical bay right outside of the lobby entrance. If you do this, then he will be moved to Neuromods

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

sebmojo posted:

Not really a steam thing, but I got the free demo or Mass Effect Andromeda, and it's fine (after a swag of animation fixes and bug patches, I guess). It's maybe a little bland but certainly not bad. When is it supposed to get bad, or was it just internet hysteria?

It's poorly written, poorly acted, poorly made and generally a horrible game in every single way.

They can patch the graphical issues as much as they want, it won't fix the sub-high school level story and shallow, lovely characters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Now that I'm posting my Weeklong Deal roundups on an actual website, the coding is different and it's a pain in the rear end to re-do for something that most people probably scroll past anyway. If you want to check them out you can do so here, but at the very least you should probably pick up Refunct if you haven't yet. It's still being updated with graphical enhancements and new achievements, and is now playable in 27 languages.

I'm gonna second the recommendation for Refunct. It's biggest crime is that it's pathetically short, but is otherwise basically first person Mario.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

sebmojo posted:

life is too short to play mediocre bland games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sebmojo posted:

now that it's been patched it's just boring instead of bad. which is much more damning imho

also the plot has lots of events with no conclusion or followup because they were banking on making a new trilogy

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Man I had successfully managed to forget that Tale of Tales existed but then ya had to go and do that :mad:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
If it makes you feel any better, they don't exist anymore.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

Takes No Damage posted:

If you haven't already make sure you add Defender's Quest to your wishlist for a future sale. At this point I consider it one of my favorite games full-stop, and my #1 TD game by a mile. It's got a really nice story and characters, and there's a ton of unique content. NG+ has additional abilities for the enemies and a few entirely new ones, upgraded superweapons, unique challenge maps, an entire new subplot featuring a new NPC.

The menus and cutscenes look pretty janky even in the HD remake, but the spritework is solid and as others have said the TD gameplay is top-tier.

Done and done. Thanks

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Samuringa posted:

With an attitude like that toward failure I can't believe they weren't successful.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Samuringa posted:

Actually they're apparently currently remaking their ridiculous Endless Forest MMO so much like everything else they've ever done it turns out their retirement announcement was full of poo poo.

Justin_Brett posted:

With an attitude like that toward failure I can't believe they weren't successful.

Tale of Tales are basically like bad caricatures of pompous pretentious artistes except they somehow actually exist in real life.

I mean I actually like artsy games to an extent but Tale of Tales make/made lovely art games.

Ikari Worrier fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2017

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

corn in the bible posted:

also the plot has lots of events with no conclusion or followup because they were banking on making a new trilogy

Not only that, but they planned a few single-player DLC packs to continue the story a la ME 2 and 3 and those have been axed, too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Ikari Worrier posted:

Tale of Tales are basically like bad caricatures of pompous pretentious artistes except they somehow actually exist in real life.

I mean I actually like artsy games to an extent but Tale of Tales make/made lovely art games.

I remember on Twitter the head guy's reaction to them going under was to go on a rant and cuss out gamers everywhere.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Justin_Brett posted:

I remember on Twitter the head guy's reaction to them going under was to go on a rant and cuss out gamers everywhere.

He literally wished death upon anyone who didn't buy their bad games.

It was a very good meltdown.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He literally wished death upon anyone who didn't buy their bad games.

It was a very good meltdown.

https://twitter.com/taleoftales/status/612937102880325632

:allears:

You were not kidding

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
how is the white march dlc for pillars of eternity? thinking of picking it up in the humble monthly, but not if it is missing significant dlc story stuff.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Path of Exile is fun but man, when the connection doesn't feel like working good luck trying to play it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Zereth posted:

Robot Alchemic Drive on the PS2 makes you press different buttons for left and right leg movement as you fight giant monsters in cities. It's actually just one game in a long series

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

succ posted:

how is the white march dlc for pillars of eternity? thinking of picking it up in the humble monthly, but not if it is missing significant dlc story stuff.

It's really good, there is a ton in the base game already but White March (both parts) adds significant content, though largely outside of the base game areas (your Keep gets a lot more attention though) as well as some incredibly difficult if optional fights with some extremely powerful opponents (which you can avoid entirely, resolving your issues diplomatically).

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If we have all these weird european sims about working by driving trucks or operating the switch on an individual train junction, how come we don't have sims about working out by like, hiking, or crossfit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

He probably wouldn't approve of Brigador then.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like no stupid Tale of Tales-related crap will ever outshine that time goons ended the Endless Forest.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like no stupid Tale of Tales-related crap will ever outshine that time goons ended the Endless Forest.

I dont know the story here.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SirSamVimes posted:

?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

http://www.somethingawful.com/mmo-roulette/endlessforest/1/

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Despite the cynicism, I really enjoyed my brief foray into The Endless Forest. A multi-player game where I don't have to read or listen to anybody else's opinions is perfect for me. It also made for a fantastic screen saver (which I believe is what it was designed for) when things were running smoothly. I'll admit that their single-player games are dreadful, and the worst possible example of "games as art".

EDIT: They're also working on a remake.

basalt fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 18, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

QuarkJets posted:

have you ever seen the quest to incapacitate Dahl and remove his neuromods? If you take out his named operator outside of the station and go to the arboretum to meet Alex, then Dahl shows up outside of Alex's safe room and a timer begins; at this point you have to either kill or incapacitate Dahl or else he will kill Alex. The Dahl quest then won't proceed until you talk to Alex and trigger the arrival of the apex typhon. When that happens, the quest updates and says you have to move Dahl's unconscious, floating body through the low-grav environment down to the medical bay right outside of the lobby entrance. If you do this, then he will be moved to Neuromods
Yeah, the entire Dahl sequence has all sorts of branching choices (not mentioning the additional dozens of little consequences). The crew-negotiations scenario alone has like 3 different ways it can go down. It's an amazing, amazing game for people who dig its strengths. As I kept saying at the game's release - if you're into System Shock titles for the flexibility of gameplay and choices they offer then you need to get Prey.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Getting real loving tired of getting one-shotted in Dragon's Dogma.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

It's an amazing, amazing game for people who dig its strengths. As I kept saying at the game's release - if you're into System Shock titles for the flexibility of gameplay and choices they offer then you need to get Prey.

but if you do get prey, get a new gpu, too. my 2gb 970 is no longer sufficient, textures are unable to load after leaving the tutorial area :(

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

The White Dragon posted:

but if you do get prey, get a new gpu, too. my 2gb 970 is no longer sufficient, textures are unable to load after leaving the tutorial area :(

Hmm. Lowering your resolution doesn't help?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i have my settings on medium, which puts me about 300mb under the demand threshold, but everything is a smooth and textureless blob and most of the time faces take 30-60 seconds to load. it's very jarring

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Getting real loving tired of getting one-shotted in Dragon's Dogma.

Wild guess here, but are you fighting bandits through a path like, north-ish/west-ish of the starting town?

If so, they're nasty. Run past them, or just go back and do some more main quest stuff and get some levels and better gear before coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Trick Question posted:

Wild guess here, but are you fighting bandits through a path like, north-ish/west-ish of the starting town?

If so, they're nasty. Run past them, or just go back and do some more main quest stuff and get some levels and better gear before coming back.

That ogre in the catacombs. Like I assume you're just supposed to run past them all, but it wasn't like I was gonna head back there at the end of the game just to kill this one guy.

• Locked thread