Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Welcome back, G0RF. Hope you're feeling a bit better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

G0RF posted:

Hello friends.

I truly hope everyone is doing well, physically, mentally, and in all other ways. Hope the same for the misguided backers and the overworked employees of CIG. Life's too short to spend it miserable, furious, or otherwise dispirited.

For those who wondered, I'm still alive. Had some health issues a year back. Took a break from a lot of things, including from posting in this often wonderful and informative thread. Glad to see its gentled up some from when I left.

Anyway, awkward member re-insertion banter aside, here is a new infographic about 3.0, for those of you who like those sort of things.

I'm aiming for fairness, so please post suggested corrections if it seems biased.

Hello friend,
if I interpret your infographic well (nice job, btw), does this mean that the sun of the system is not going to be released with 3.0? If so, how the gently caress one release a star system without the star. Sorry, if the question is stupid.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

ED Trip Report from guy whose last space sim was Freelancer.

Learning curve is steep (jesus christ landing is annoying) but its fun and immersive.

But more importantly its a videogame.

Bind your thruster keys, or aim your nose to intercept the pad all shallow and reduce the scraping. After a while you get a feel, and can aim for the right spot to trigger the clamps (THE CLAMPS!), right up until the week you start banging around the inside of the station because you misjudged the slot.

You ain't seen curve until you center bind the throttle and turn off flight assist. I'm fairly convinced I need to do that with a mouse rather than my immersion-rod, though.

Roflan posted:

For the record, the fastest bike in the 70s was 154mph, 100m/s is 224mph and Chris Roberts should just ask Wolfram Alpha to program SC for him.

Speed of sound is around 320m/s at sea level; I'd expect an alien hoverbike to be able to get close to the point where the rider suffers from something that requires TECH to avoid the TECH killing him.

The major point being that apart from triggering the 'PLOT_DRIVE_TECH', your spacecraft are somehow limited to speeds (in space) that wouldn't hit Mach ranges. To go back to MoMa's snarky loving point, the largest they can imagine for a moon is Miranda at a circumference of 1440km. Without atmosphere, the alien space bike should be unlimited by speed (and would actually achieve escape velocity very quickly) and arglebarglebargle.

They put spaceship shaped hats into a shooter and want you to believe that 'fidelity' is a thing.

TheAgent posted:

I don't know anything about motorcycle development, obviously

Credibility is shot now. <gwar_laugh.gif>

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Oh my sweet frogbear, growing more sentient by the day.

Thank you all for your individual warm welcomes and kind words- I really appreciate it!

Daztek posted:

Hello friend, typo near the bottom :ohdear:

DAMMIT DAZ! (But thank you, also.)

[timg][/timg]

(The above includes a second correction caused by carelessness... )

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 18, 2017

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

G0RF posted:

Hello friends.

I truly hope everyone is doing well, physically, mentally, and in all other ways. Hope the same for the misguided backers and the overworked employees of CIG. Life's too short to spend it miserable, furious, or otherwise dispirited.

For those who wondered, I'm still alive. Had some health issues a year back. Took a break from a lot of things, including from posting in this often wonderful and informative thread. Glad to see its gentled up some from when I left.

Anyway, awkward member re-insertion banter aside, here is a new infographic about 3.0, for those of you who like those sort of things.

I'm aiming for fairness, so please post suggested corrections if it seems biased.

Welcome back Gorf, you absence has been felt.
Great to have you back!

Also, they said that the sun was emitting all the light in the verse... if the sun isn't in the release.... how exactly are they lighting the place?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

El Grillo posted:

So I haven't really be following in the past month or so, has CIG actually made an announcement about the delay in release of 3.0, or do to they just keep pushing it back week-on-week with their schedule updates??

The transitions aren't seemless and they come before both of the clips you've linked here - you have a loading period where everything freezes and you then drop out of orbital flight.
Although maybe they've shortened the loading screens? I haven't played for months (due to the standard problem of there being a lack of game)

It is not actually a loading period, that is syncing with the network, if you don't go into Super curse you can still go from one planet to another and there is no syncing.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Viscous Soda posted:

The landspeed records for motorcycles passed 224 mph in the early 1960's actually... so yes.

Yeah,1962 to be exact. In 1975 that record hit 302 mph, or 135 m/s.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

Yeah,1962 to be exact. In 1975 that record hit 302 mph, or 135 m/s.
I AM REDEEMED

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

I AM REDEEMED

Internet credibility secure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheAgent posted:

I'm the future space alien hoverbike that has a top speed less than a combustion engine motorcycle from 1975

That would be cool for the lore...Galactic AMF buys Drake Industries. I'm sorry HD owners, had to make that comment.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

G0RF posted:

Thank you all for your individual warm welcomes and kind words- I really appreciate it!

(corrected image above and soon to be replacing original.)

What does the ">1" of the amount of star systems mean?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Toblakai posted:

Hello friend,
if I interpret your infographic well (nice job, btw), does this mean that the sun of the system is not going to be released with 3.0? If so, how the gently caress one release a star system without the star. Sorry, if the question is stupid.

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Welcome back Gorf, you absence has been felt.
Great to have you back!

Also, they said that the sun was emitting all the light in the verse... if the sun isn't in the release.... how exactly are they lighting the place?

Thank you!

The existence or absence of Stanton's star (a dwarf G) from 3.0 is unclear to me, from what I've read. That was probably the chart detail I was least certain about.

I consider a star properly in the system if it can be physically approached in space, as opposed to being an inaccessible, static light source.

I don't assume it is, but perhaps I'm wrong about this. If it can be approached (and presumably blow up your ship if you get too close) then that would meet the minimum requirement for me and I'd definitely correct it. I want this to be an honest depiction of their plans.

toanoradian posted:

What does the ">1" of the amount of star systems mean?

My eyesight is failing. I missed that. Here is a correction.

G0RF fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 18, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

1975 motorcycles can do over 100 meters a second?

You're an idiot.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

:tif:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

G0RF posted:

(corrected image above and soon to be replacing original.)

Welcome back G0RF! I'll quote your fixed image for you, and it's good to have you join us again. Hope all is well, and you'll chill with us on this lovely trainwreck we are on.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

G0RF posted:

Thank you!

The existence or absence of Stanton's star (a dwarf G) from 3.0 is unclear to me, from what I've read. That was probably the chart detail I was least certain about.

I consider a star properly in the system if it can be physically approached in space, as opposed to being an inaccessible, static light source.

I don't assume it is, but perhaps I'm wrong about this. If it can be approached (and presumably blow up your ship if you get too close) then that would meet the minimum requirement for me and I'd definitely correct it. I want this to be an honest depiction of their plans.

Or you know, the whole sun lighting the world physically could have been a.... lie?
Thanks for graph, was quite illuminating.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

Hello friends.

He is risen.

So am I.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

I don't know anything about motorcycle development, obviously

Actually, if we're being really pedantic, there's production motorcycles that have been able to top 225 mph (with a bit of tweaking and tuning) since probably the very early 2000s at the latest. The current king of "Dump a bunch of money into it and join the 200mph club" is probably still the Suzuki Hayabusa, which entered manufacturing in 1999, and it's got a top speed of around 180 mph right off the showroom floor. Hell, in 2011 Bill Warner hit 311 mph on a turbo'd Hayabusa.

e:

Viscous Soda posted:

The landspeed records for motorcycles passed 224 mph in the early 1960's actually... so yes.

I wasn't sure if I should count those since they were on purpose built land speed bikes and I can only handle so much :smuggo: from MoMA, but yeah.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 18, 2017

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfUsOUb-O_w&t=869s first deadline given was back in December 2015.
But i think its fine to use later date on the infographic.
they also talk about getting rid of use system in near future with item system 2.0 :laugh:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

I wasn't sure if I should count those since they were on purpose built land speed bikes and I can only handle so much :smuggo: from MoMA, but yeah.
Counting them is fair since it still shows that 60s-70s tech was capable of it

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Dee-licious!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Viscous Soda posted:

Well. gently caress me then.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Welcome Back G0rf.

Also the Ship JPEG I bought:

ok Noah, just leaving that there "just in case"????

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

No thank you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ManofManyAliases posted:

humanity learned to chill and just slow ride in the future

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Percelus posted:

this 24 person limit sounds very pie-in-the-sky, if someone has proof star citizen can support that many players i'd be shocked

It does. But only in the social module. And even so, it is still ganky as hello. There are YT videos even.

In AC and PU, anything above 8 clients is permission for the server to walk off a cliff.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

humanity learned to chill and just slow ride in the future

Space hawg is for next summer.

D_Smart posted:

In AC and PU, anything above 8 clients is permission for the server to walk off a cliff.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 18, 2017

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

It does. But only in the social module. And even so, it is still janky as hello. There are YT videos even.

Let's not bring back the gif/jif stuff tyvm

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Of course. How else will it traverse a moon with more surface area than all the maps of every other mmo combined?

There are space bikes in Elite Dangerous: The BDSSE?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Let's not bring back the gif/jif stuff tyvm

Only choosy Dereks choose jif.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm the mentally-challenged, reputation-management company shill who moonlights as a grey-market trader wtih ulterior motives that you have all come to know and love.

+ law degree? :grin:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Smooth-voiced guy: "Elite Dangerous with the Oculus Rift (at $400) - is it worth it?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J1VuT2nE1I

No

Of course the answer is YES, you cuntiflas

ObsidianAnt posted:

VR is an amazing thing, and playing Elite Dangerous in Virtual Reality is probably the greatest gaming experience I've ever had
Clearly he's never played Wing Commander then. Noob.

e:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm the mentally-challenged, reputation-management company shill who moonlights as a grey-market trader wtih ulterior motives that you have all come to know and love.

Boy you´re going to be sorry if that is true.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

It's always the next patch. From my article yesterday, let's take a look shall?

6 years + $155M =

- 3.0 (Moons) is planned for Aug 2017
- 2.6 (Star Marine) // Dec 2016
- 2.0 (Persistent Universe + Multi-Crew) // Dec 2015
- 1.2 (ArcCorp Social Module) // Aug 2015
- 1.0 (Arena Commander) // Dec 2014
- 0.x (Hangar Module) // Aug 2013

Also, in April 2015 was when they changed the patch numbering scheme to make less hosed. Croberts wrote a novel about it.

All patch notes: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/patch-notes

I remember when in April 2015 (above), Croberts uttered the following edict:

Alpha 1.2.0 – Star Marine
Alpha 1.3.0 – Social Module

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 18, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

+ law degree? :grin:

Stop doxxing me.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

Concerning timeline:

September 14th, 2015: Chris set the ground work for people not getting 100 star systems immediately. It was in 104TC Episode 66: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGTj2iWkS-8&t=854s
September 24, 2016: "One of the long-term schedule challenges is building out the universe that we've – in all the stretch goals, we got up to 100 star systems, I think we have 110 now – we're not going to have them all done on the day of release." http://www.gamersnexus.net/gg/2613-chris-roberts-on-star-citizen-procedural-planets-alpha3-citizencon

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Hoho, German gaming mag Pcgames.de called Derek Smart a "gescheiterter Entwickler" - a failed developer.

quote:

Star Citizen-Troll Derek Smart kann es einfach nicht lassen: Auf Twitter hat der gescheiterte Entwickler und scharfe Kritiker von Star Citizen-Chef Chris Roberts die jüngste Gamestar-Titelstory zum Weltraum-MMOG als "Propaganda" abgetan.

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/Derek-Smart-Gamestar-Titelstory-Propaganda-Twitter-1233287/

Countdown to lawsuit

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 18, 2017

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Hammerstein posted:

Hoho, German gaming mag Pcgames.de called Derek Smart a "gescheiterter Entwickler" - a failed developer.

http://www.pcgames.de/Star-Citizen-Spiel-3481/News/Derek-Smart-Gamestar-Titelstory-Propaganda-Twitter-1233287/

Countdown to lawsuit

LOL

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks for the spelling correction. It didn't look right when I typed it, but as I'm on my phone, I couldn't be arsed to Google the correct spelling.