Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I don't know how it'll be with this game but in general, NOE's English script tends to stick closer to the original than NOA's, so if anyone's genuinely upset, go ahead and A/B them once the game's out.

The fact we got the same translation as America for the testfire has me hopeful that NoE didn't get their hands on Splatoon 2's translation and we get the NoA one.

I guess NoE's translations technically more accurate, but they're so joyless compared to NoA's pun-filled localizations. I mean come on, we didn't even get 'Booyah!' in Splatooon 1!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Booyah!

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Icedude posted:

I mean come on, we didn't even get 'Booyah!' in Splatooon 1!

That should count as a war crime.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Who cares if the translation is accurate or not, so long as the writing is good and fun. Long live the death of the author!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Escobarbarian posted:

Reviews are up.

PISS

Did people not watch the Direct or something? 4-player queuing is the only group queue for Splatfest, while the Team Ranked mode let's you queue as groups of 2 or 4. They didn't say anything about regular Turf War, is it about that? In Splatoon 1 you could queue/Join Friend in Turf War with pretty much any numbers from 2-8 I thought. Did they change that?

I'm avoiding reviews because I'm almost certainly picking this up no matter what and am trying to avoid spoilers for now.

Edit:

Gimbal lock posted:

Who cares if the translation is accurate or not, so long as the writing is good and fun. Long live the death of the author!

Meh, author intent matters and I think ignoring it is troublesome.

That said, translation and localization has a huge amount of flexibility. The Nintendo localization team has had some pretty great success recently with Kid Icarus, Splatoon 1 and more that I'm willing to give them more than one Splatfest.

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 18, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
(Actual spoilers)

Aww, looks like the whole Callie angle is a lot simpler than my wild dreams were hoping for. Not really a surprise, but slightly disappointing, and it seems Octokids aren't a SP reward after all. Ah well, there's always amiibo, perhaps.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Reviews are up.

PISS

what the gently caress nintendo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Onean posted:

Did people not watch the Direct or something? 4-player queuing is the only group queue for Splatfest, while the Team Ranked mode let's you queue as groups of 2 or 4. They didn't say anything about regular Turf War, is it about that? In Splatoon 1 you could queue/Join Friend in Turf War with pretty much any numbers from 2-8 I thought. Did they change that?

o fuk, okay. thats fine then

I get why they are doing it in Splatfest. If a team of 2 + two solos gets queued against 4 player teams in Splatfest, that could start tipping the win percentage

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

of what ive played of splatoon 2 its basically my swcond favorite game of the year behind pubg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ostentatious posted:

of what ive played of splatoon 2 its basically my swcond favorite game of the year behind pubg

See even with all the hype, Penis Under Big Gut just doesn't appeal to me.

Ok fine I'll actually try to look up whatever you're talking about.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
AHHH this game needs to be out already

Having played the splatfest and then not being able to play now is killing me!

Been looking forward to splatoon 2 all year!!

eonwe posted:

o fuk, okay. thats fine then

I get why they are doing it in Splatfest. If a team of 2 + two solos gets queued against 4 player teams in Splatfest, that could start tipping the win percentage

Yeah exactly, premades need to be mached with other premade teams for splatfest. As long as there's options for normal ranked and stuff I'll be happy.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
spoiler at the end of the singleplayer game you learn [spoiler]marina lip syncs[/spoiler

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SpaceDrake posted:

It's the first true shotgun we've ever had. I can't wait.

Also it looks like folks in Europe are starting to get their hands on early copies. Prepare for some Real Spoilers here in the next 24 hours, tops, I suspect.

I felt like the original pre-nerf Dynamo Roller was essentially the Super Shotgun of that game but I'm excited for umbrellas if they're going to formalize shotguns as a whole class of weapons.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope they release the plot of Splatoon 1 as DLC.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm very jazzed to try that crayon blaster. I liked blasters but they were a bit slow.

Dualies are awesome, maybe too good.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I wish we could switch weapons/gear at the spawn point, but alas.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Playing a little of Splatoon 1 last night reminded me how glad they made rollers have to actually you know, aim a little now instead of just being able to fling a wall of ink from behind cover .

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

guys i am very excited abotu splatoon 2

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Pearl will grow bangs in an update to spite the fan artists

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pearl looks good in some fanart

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stop posting story spoilers in the thread when the game is not even out yet. Seriously, what the hell.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

No wonder she's always going to be second to marina.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

spit on my clit posted:

No wonder she's always going to be second to marina.
:golfclap:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/HeyRaguio/status/886299278938910720

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
So, that's interesting, while reviewers and whatnot can talk about the game now, apparently the function of the Callie & Marie amiibo are still under embargo until release day, and being treated as "very hush-hush".

:raise:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This just makes me want to tap them* even harder

*against the NFC reader

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Bloop posted:

See even with all the hype, Penis Under Big Gut just doesn't appeal to me.

Ok fine I'll actually try to look up whatever you're talking about.

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds. It really, really looks like a game you must try to really see if you like it or not. Watching streamers play it makes it look hideously boring.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

enojy posted:

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds. It really, really looks like a game you must try to really see if you like it or not. Watching streamers play it makes it look hideously boring.

I like it but I'm slowly coming to the fact that yeah I don't actually do much in the game. Due to the open fields and the strength of long ranged weapons most of the time I'm gathering supplies for an anticapated gun fight only to be dropped when I start to make my way to the safe zone before I actually see another player. My want to play has steadily gone down because of that and it really makes me appreciate Valve's dev commentary in TF2 where outside of sniper, who they purposely gated his power hard, the designed the rest of the classes to need to get in close range for combat because it's much more fun. Kind of like how Splatoon 2 does it!

Max
Nov 30, 2002

enojy posted:

It's definitely a different experience when playing it, for sure. Especially once you break through top 20.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/suppipi/status/886028572418203648

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/cyan_beans/status/883508022206771200

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
PUBG is a great shooter for people who don't usually like shooters. I find it intense as hell even when basically nothing is going on

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SpaceDrake posted:

So, that's interesting, while reviewers and whatnot can talk about the game now, apparently the function of the Callie & Marie amiibo are still under embargo until release day, and being treated as "very hush-hush".

:raise:

This is either because it's story spoilers, or because Nintendo is just being arbitrary about amiibo stuff again. They've had NDAs on super mundane amiibo stuff before, like Mario Maker.

I hope it unlocks Callie and Marie's Splatoon 1 outfits for players to use.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I hope it unlocks the ability to literally rewind time and go back and make Callie the winner of the final splatfest, as she should have been. :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really tempted to get the Callie/Marie amiibo now dammit

hey did the alternate colours of the main 3 Splatoon 1 amiibo (orange squid etc) have anything different from the usual ones except for the paint job?

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jul 18, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

hey did the alternate colours of the main 3 Splatoon 1 amiibo (orange squid etc) have anything different from the usual ones except for the paint job?

They behave the same in all regards.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh so this is what hell is like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pearl looks good in some fanart

This is awesome and should probably be in the OP.

drat Marina