Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I would have thought Radiohead would have at least written one song in the genre of Radiohead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
White font on a yellow background is always a good design call.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

I would have thought Radiohead would have at least written one song in the genre of Radiohead.

That's what makes them so avant-garde.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
here's a graph that makes it clear that ffxi is a good and fun use of time

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

long rear end post (SKIPPED)
I SHOULD MENTION TOO: NONE OF THIS WAS EXPLAINED IN GAME. Pls review this skillchain chart, memorize it: (not actually required, everyone only did Distortion(water) and Light/Darkness)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hemingway To Go! posted:

To be fair, that chart is a lot more complicated than things actually were in game (it's not like you were using multiple weapons at once, so to figure out a combo you could just ignore everything on there that wasn't in your weapon class).

Although FFXI did have plenty of confusing weird bullshit. It's just not stuff that expresses itself well in chart form, unless you consider a page with "gently caress YOU" in 75 point font to be a chart, since that is a fairly accurate summation of Absolute Virtue.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I dunno, tell me about the axis you want to use for said chart :thunk:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I assumed, somehow, that this was going to be a swastika pattern.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So this was actually one of the most fun things to do in the whole game.

Not that it means much!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Love me some sports data!

(sorry for quality, this was literally a photograph of my tv)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Looks like Megaman's got plenty of weapon energy left for his C. Cronk

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
INSERT [is-distorting-the-y-scale-misleading.graph] HERE

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.clickhole.com/article/these-graphs-perfectly-capture-rolling-hills-and-s-6227

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

This is pro-click material

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Titus Sardonicus posted:

This is pro-click material

it's v. good

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
From IoSM.thread

nael posted:

Here's some more from trust fund guy. He constantly posts about saving the world with economics. I don't know poo poo about economics, so I don't know if I'm dumb or he's crazy.

I feel really bad for the justice department intern that had to read this and respond.

I have no idea what this means, but he posts it all the time.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That trust fund guy's brain is broken in exactly the same way as Eripsa's is.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Is it normal that I can't make sense of it?

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It would be worrying if you could.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

This is a terrible game of Connect 4.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It looks like something from an IQ test

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Somebody else tried:

Perestroika posted:

After poring over this for way too long, I finally realised that the stupid diagram is really just the least intuitive way possible to illustrate what he wrote in that post. Red makes blue loses a white dot, so then yellow (i.e. the government) comes in, takes a white dot from red and gives it back to blue, and then takes the black dot from red for itself. I have no idea what he means by "nonrivalrous" in this context, as to my understanding that only applies to goods and services, rather than actors.

So in other words, it's an incredibly roundabout way of saying that if e.g. Arnold causes a loss to Bob by doing donuts on Bob's lawn, the government steps in, takes the money out of Arnold's hide through the court system, and reimburses Bob for the cost incurred. Then it additionally takes some more money from Arnold as part of the transaction to pay for the actual process of that (e.g. court costs), where the whole "bayesian-efficient" part just means it does so in the most efficient way with minimum waste. Basically, it's babbies' first low-level political theory. I have no idea how or why you'd derive any sort of natural law from this purely descriptive observation, or how you'd "abide" by that law. It's like saying "If you mix flour and water and bake it, you end up with bread. I accept the above process as Natural Law and agree to abide by it."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Of course it is someone I loosely remember, i.e. a bad poster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All I see is purestrain gold and triangles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its a statement about the circles representing natural membranes away from Toblerone Triangular.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Cross posting from D&D

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Rumda posted:

Cross posting from D&D

My God, this is fractal wrongness.

Once you get past the "IQ is by definition set with a mean of 100 for the current year"

There's the "using temporally grounded measures, IQ has been increasing approximately 8-10 points a generation for several generations especially in 'minority' populations" Flynn effect that says litterally the opposite of this chart.

There's STILL just... Ugh. What do these morons think IQ measures?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Article talks about that.

quote:

Between the 1930s and 1980s, the average IQ score in the US rose by three points and in post-war Japan and Denmark, test scores also increased significantly - a trend known as the ‘Flynn effect’.

This increase in intelligence was due to improved nutrition and living conditions - as well as better education - says James Flynn of the University of Otago, after whom the effect is named.

Now some experts believe we are starting to see the end of the Flynn effect in developed countries – and that IQ scores are not just levelling out, but declining.

I don't know about 'starting,' though - it was my impression that we were already several decades past the last observed Flynn increases.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So I'm gonna censor the hell out of this because it's from work. But we have two components we're testing, each has over 40 strain gages on it, and each component undergoes a number of test runs. Occasionally, a gage will fail, either because the gage pops loose from the adhesive it's stuck to the surface with, or because a wire undergoes enough cyclic stress to flex and break, or a solder joint does, etc. We figured it would be useful information to track how the gages fail over time, so perhaps as to start figuring out how long we can expect gages to last in future use with this component. We ask Tibor to put together a chart showing the number of working gages compared to how long we've tested the components for.

Tibor, instead of plotting the number of surviving gages vs. the *hours* under test, plots them vs test *number*. Which is pretty useless, because test number is just an arbitrary assignment. Your first test is T1, the second is T2, etc. Some tests might last 20 minutes, others might last 3 hours, so using test number as an independent variable is meaningless. I ask Tibor, "Hey, why not plot the number of surviving gages against test hours instead of test number, I think that might show us something more useful.

Tibor dutifully goes forth and presents this:

Because knowing that test hours go up as you run more tests is....important for some reason.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Ahahahaha ha :lol:

That is just the laziest loving thing I have ever seen, and I saw a co-op's monitor not only go to screen saver, but turn itself off because he fall asleep sitting up at his desk, still holding his mouse.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ikanreed posted:

The cynic in me says that the key is probably that it's titled 'World IQ' instead of just 'Average IQ' or simply 'IQ'. "Those people in [country] stopped dying of [aids/starvation/war/etc] and they're dragging down our average!!!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think you've all missed the fact that the current year isn't even halfway along the x-axis on that graph. It's more than 50% projection (i.e. bullshit random guessing), all the way to the year 2110.

I like how he put a slight kink in the line at 2050. Like apparently his projection is so good that he knows that the rate of decline will slow down slightly 33 years from now.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Rumda posted:

Cross posting from D&D

finno-korean hyper war II is really gonna ruin some things

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think you've all missed the fact that the current year isn't even halfway along the x-axis on that graph. It's more than 50% projection (i.e. bullshit random guessing), all the way to the year 2110.

Believe me, I didn't miss that part of it either.

There's so many layers to the stupid.

Why is it people obsessed with intelligence are always the dumbest motherfuckers?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Because they're also unattractive, boring, and socially inept. Telling themselves how "smart" they are is all they have.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's the thing that no one can take away from them because if someone disagrees that they are smart, well that just because this someone is too dumb to understand someone as smart as they are.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chitin posted:

Because they're also unattractive, boring, and socially inept. Telling themselves how "smart" they are is all they have.
It's mostly this.

That said, intelligence is probably the best psychometric measure there is for adults in terms of predicting real-world outcomes, which is not great shakes but, still, many people who dis IQ talk a big game about stuff that is much weaker sauce.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

When he doesn't get nominated by the GOP, that's exactly what he's going to do. At that point, the GOP can pick Jesus Christ himself to be the Republican presidential candidate and we'd still have another Clinton in the White House on January 20th.

I got behind but this post is timely. 😧

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ZenMaster posted:

I got behind but this post is timely. 😧

Those were simpler, more innocent times.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

pangstrom posted:

It's mostly this.

That said, intelligence is probably the best psychometric measure there is for adults in terms of predicting real-world outcomes, which is not great shakes but, still, many people who dis IQ talk a big game about stuff that is much weaker sauce.

The best metric is the number of bathrooms in your parents house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

ikanreed posted:

Whiteness + conservativism - empathy.