Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Well thank god that's settled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

We are less than a month out from the first actually cool! good! wow! sonic game since 1993, my friends

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887369350004461568

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Beasteh posted:

We are less than a month out from the first actually cool! good! wow! sonic game since 1993, my friends

:goonsay:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

oh wow its so gooooood

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hell yeah. Dude I almost feel bad listening to this, like it's a musical spoiler. It's so loving good, though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah this is a good theme for the Mini Boss squad.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
"Hard Boiled Heavies" Is this the theme for Egg Robos?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
http://www.theonion.com/article/new-mit-study-suggests-sonic-hedgehog-might-be-liv-56424

New MIT Study Suggests Sonic The Hedgehog Might Be Living In Computer Simulation

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

"Hard Boiled Heavies" Is this the theme for Egg Robos?

No it's the theme for the Hard Boiled Heavies.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Beasteh posted:

Let us hope this game (which looks nothing short of stellar) succeeds beyond all Sega's expectations and that those morons in charge of the Sonic franchise agree to make 2D Sonic games a real thing again.

EDIT: I mean good, 2D, retro Sonic games. Sonic 4 and 2D sections in Generations do not count.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No I hope it threads the needle between "successful enough to justify more manias" but not so successful Sonic Team's cast of goobers decide to take over completely. I think this working arrangement, especially if Forces sells well, is extremely beneficial to Sonic.

Cybershell's "I like, but I don't love" goes here.

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

No I hope it threads the needle between "successful enough to justify more manias" but not so successful Sonic Team's cast of goobers decide to take over completely.

You are right. Sonic Team needs to stay the hell away from 2D retro Sonic.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope Mania and Forces are both good.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Mania by all accounts will be amazing, Forces will be the new 3D Sonic that is yet another rotation on the eternal anguish machine that is the Cycle

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Is there any music from Mania that has some of the serious tones from the original sonic games or is it all over-the-top dance music now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B93QQvL0CGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7hdIh-gtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDr0oy2Tnr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LYB7iLZNWE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qw10LYqye4

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think there's an anticipated 22+ tracks on the mania OST and we've heard like 5 of them. Remember that a lot of acts were using a different act's music in early previews of the game.

Beasteh posted:

Mania by all accounts will be amazing, Forces will be the new 3D Sonic that is yet another rotation on the eternal anguish machine that is the Cycle
I am willing to accept Forces will not be a day one buy for me and instead hope it appeals well to the console crowd, and makes Sega some nice money to re-invest into Sonic.

I mean there's "the cycle" and then there's a Sonic Boom, and it looks way more in the former than the latter.

I'll get it for $8 on sale years from now and it will be $8 of fun, and that is fine.

Andre Banzai posted:

You are right. Sonic Team needs to stay the hell away from 2D retro Sonic.
I think they put a little influence into Mania, which is good, I do want it to still be grounded by Sega. The current situation seems perfect: A lot of love, a little branding, an amazing social media team's influence.

I just don't want them getting their boxers bunched up and deciding in their hubris they need to take over.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Is there any music from Mania that has some of the serious tones from the original sonic games or is it all over-the-top dance music now?

Tee Lopes' Act 1 arrangements of Chemical Plant and Flying Battery are very faithful to the originals, we've heard his Act 2 arrangement of Chemical Plant and it's basically just "if Chemical Plant were a Sonic CD level". Out of all the things I'm not worried about in Mania the quality and appropriateness of the music is probably the thing I'm least worried about. Also,

beep by grandpa posted:

I hope Mania and Forces are both good.

:same:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Counterpoint: Sonic CD's boss music (Hataya/Ogata version) is both from the original Sonic games and basically over-the-top dance music.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Counterpoint: Sonic CD's boss music (Hataya/Ogata version) is both from the original Sonic games and basically over-the-top dance music.

I'm not saying there was no dance-y music in the originals, but they had a certain portion of serious-themed songs, and the games themselves seemed to take the 'end of the world' idea somewhat to heart In Sonic 3&K. They felt a bit epic and serious when I was 10, which is something I'd like to partially recapture.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

No I hope it threads the needle between "successful enough to justify more manias" but not so successful Sonic Team's cast of goobers decide to take over completely. I think this working arrangement, especially if Forces sells well, is extremely beneficial to Sonic.

Cybershell's "I like, but I don't love" goes here.

On the other hand, if this outsells Sonic Forces, maybe Christian Whitehead will become the new director at Sonic Team.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also, the GHZ1 miniboss music and the GHZ2 boss music, while both still pretty dancy, at least have a suitable tone to them. They can probably ramp it up appropriately for the final boss tracks as well.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

On the other hand, if this outsells Sonic Forces, maybe Christian Whitehead will become the new director at Sonic Team.

I'm pretty sure there's next to zero chance of that happening. Nevermind the fact that an american developer being put in charge of a Japanese-led team is impossible given Sega's corporate culture, Takashi Iizuka is the reason he was hired for these projects in the first place.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm pretty sure there's next to zero chance of that happening. Nevermind the fact that an american developer being put in charge of a Japanese-led team is impossible given Sega's corporate culture, Takashi Iizuka is the reason he was hired for these projects in the first place.

It's possible they could put him in a position to affect the gameplay of the big-budget titles though. Like he's never gonna be director of Sonic Team but he might be some special assistant director for Classic Sonic's gameplay sections or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's more reasonable, yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Does Mania have the element shields from S3&K?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does Mania have the element shields from S3&K?

Yup.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Day 1.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe he'll become Sonic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I'm not saying there was no dance-y music in the originals, but they had a certain portion of serious-themed songs, and the games themselves seemed to take the 'end of the world' idea somewhat to heart In Sonic 3&K. They felt a bit epic and serious when I was 10, which is something I'd like to partially recapture.

Oh I thought you were being sarcastic. Giving you linked both Flying Battery and Chemical Plant.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

elf help book posted:

Maybe he'll become Sonic.

THERE IS ONLY ONE SONIC

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Go! Go! Go! G-go go! Go! Go! Go! G-go go!

Doot deet doot de-de de-de doot doot

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

beep by grandpa posted:

THERE IS ONLY ONE SONIC

You'll drop that ring one day, grandpa

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sonic mania is gonna be the best selling sonic game in years and segas gonna learn nothing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I know it was mostly a cash-grab...but sweet jesus Lock-On Technology was a cool idea.

Seriously, how the gently caress did they even DO THAT?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

Sonic mania is gonna be the best selling sonic game in years and segas gonna learn nothing

I'm not so sure - Sega's definitely aware of how popular and successful Taxman's remasters of S1/2/CD have been, and they know there is absolutely an audience for a full 2d Sonic game since they tried (and failed) to capture that audience with Sonic 4, and Classic Sonic in Generations was fairly commonly praised as being what Sonic 4 should have been. This really does feel like them giving Taxman, Stealth, and Pagoda the opportunity to become their new side game studio over dimps, and I wouldn't be surprised if they become more influential and get a lot more work pushed their way if the game is a big financial success.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
This game needs DLC Day One for maximum complaining.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

turboraton posted:

This game needs DLC Day One for maximum complaining.

I will buy twenty copies of day 1 big the cat espio the chameleon ray the squirrel dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

The game where you finally make your own OC and they tenderly kiss sonic on the lips to make him go super sonic is gonna outsell mania