Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I believed it mostly because it was in Boston, and Boston PD is notoriously close with the Catholic church, and if the pedo priest's brother was the big cop at the time, I can easily see how poo poo can get cloak and daggered.

People thought we were making up the Chicago PD Black Sites until the loving Guardian broke the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

It was in Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mahoning posted:

It was in Baltimore.

Awkward....

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

It was in Baltimore.

Gah, hosed that up. It is true tho that Boston is catholic as gently caress, guess that's why I mixed up the two. I don't know poo poo about Baltimore other than they got the Orioles and Jimmy McNutty.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I just saw Icarus. Wow, that went from: "ok, that is a cool premise", to full on Jason Bourne in the span of an hour.

I would recommend it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I just saw Icarus. Wow, that went from: "ok, that is a cool premise", to full on Jason Bourne in the span of an hour.

I would recommend it.

Yeah, you weren't lying. 0_0

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Is there a good, legal place to stream Harlan County USA? Is it on Filmstruck?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, you weren't lying. 0_0

I was waiting the whole time for Bryan to say something like "WTF? I was just trying to make a simple documentary!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I was waiting the whole time for Bryan to say something like "WTF? I was just trying to make a simple documentary!"

I was super worried for Grigory.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Unmature posted:

Is there a good, legal place to stream Harlan County USA? Is it on Filmstruck?

I just found it on Youtube.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress yeah I know what I'm doing now

e: probably should say something like "Trigger warning: Claustrophobia" though because :gonk:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I found one that was really poor quality. Just checked again and see a better one. Thanks!

EDIT: Oop, wait that one has no sound. Can you link the one you found? Or is that too :filez:

Unmature fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 6, 2017

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was super worried for Grigory.

Yeah that too, can't remember the last time I was that tense watching a documentary, especially when leaving Russia after everything came to light.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Icarus really is a fantastic documentary, thanks for the tip.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Icarus is loving nuts

twitch125
Mar 11, 2003

Bull in the China Shop

Popelmon posted:

Icarus really is a fantastic documentary, thanks for the tip.

Yeh that was awesome, Putin is a dirty dirty fucker.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Icarus was bananas, yeah. I hope it works out well in the end for Grigori.

It's kind of remarkable how Russia can do all sorts of crazy and awful poo poo and when they're called out on it they just go "Nope." and nothing comes of it. They don't care about their image as utterly corrupt and shady and have the wealth and power to make things happen how they want them to happen. The whole thing with the Olympics could be applied to just about every facet of how Putin's Russia runs things.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, at the start of Icarus I was like 'oh okay, cool' but then WOW it really went off the rails.

I was surprised Grigory wasn't found 'dead under mysterious circumstances'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Grigory reminded me of Papers, Please only, you know, a real person. He seemed like a really good guy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah also really dug Icarus.

I, too, dug the original premise and am a little sad we never got to see that film. Worth it though.

Grigori definitely super likeable despite the fact you know he was really high up in this situation, and still didn't really seem to show that much sympathy. When Bryan met with the IOC people for that meeting and they asked him whether Grigori was sorry, the silence said a lot. You can definitely understand their anger at him, while still liking him.

One question as there was a lot going on... obviously in Sochi they were able to control the whole system of testing which is how they were able to do the smuggling and switching of samples. How exactly would this work in Rio, for example, where they didn't have such a sophisticated system they could run.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I, too, dug the original premise and am a little sad we never got to see that film. Worth it though.

Grigori definitely super likeable despite the fact you know he was really high up in this situation, and still didn't really seem to show that much sympathy. When Bryan met with the IOC people for that meeting and they asked him whether Grigori was sorry, the silence said a lot. You can definitely understand their anger at him, while still liking him.

One question as there was a lot going on... obviously in Sochi they were able to control the whole system of testing which is how they were able to do the smuggling and switching of samples. How exactly would this work in Rio, for example, where they didn't have such a sophisticated system they could run.

About the IOC/WADA:

The one I thing that soiled me on them was the women, and I don't know if it was because of English not being her first language and so it might be that it came out a bit wrong, saying that she was hurt because they were fooled and Bryan had to remind them of Grigory risking his life and leaving everything behind. So he had a lot more on the line than professional pride like they did.

Good question about Brazil, but it is a third world country to be honest, so who knows who they might have bribed.

Another thing: The part where some of the members were saying that something as brazen as the state helping to sponsor the program was not something they would even consider possible.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Aug 7, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Judging by the short lifespans of Russians who know things, his life was in danger from the moment the allegations came out. So while I agree with Bryans sentiment that he's putting his life on the line to help, its essentially something he's doing for self preservation as opposed to any moral sentiment. I'd also be interested to know more about him leaving on his own without the family, as that's kind of pushed aside in one brief conversation.

I think it's always important to question everything you're told in documentaries, as rarely are they made without bias and elements are often changed/omitted if they don't necessarily add to the desired narrative. It's very easy to side with whoever's against the Russian government though!

I also liked the appearance of Sebastian Coe, as any Brit growing up in the 90s with a love of Chris Morris' "The Day Today" will always gleefully tell the room they hate Sebastian Coe due to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07sWzYObnk

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Judging by the short lifespans of Russians who know things, his life was in danger from the moment the allegations came out. So while I agree with Bryans sentiment that he's putting his life on the line to help, its essentially something he's doing for self preservation as opposed to any moral sentiment. I'd also be interested to know more about him leaving on his own without the family, as that's kind of pushed aside in one brief conversation.

I think it's always important to question everything you're told in documentaries, as rarely are they made without bias and elements are often changed/omitted if they don't necessarily add to the desired narrative. It's very easy to side with whoever's against the Russian government though!

I also liked the appearance of Sebastian Coe, as any Brit growing up in the 90s with a love of Chris Morris' "The Day Today" will always gleefully tell the room they hate Sebastian Coe due to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G07sWzYObnk

Oh sure, I agree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that he had a lot more to lose than professional pride like the others.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Agree with that too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Holy poo poo. Drop what you're doing and watch Icarus, I'm 29 minutes in and the guy is already making comments about "if we ever see each other again" and oh yeah by the way "the Olympic anti-doping people are currently in my lab so we can't start until; tomorrow?"

Also, tons of dogge lovin'

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yup Icarus was great. Just finished it. It's 2 hours long and the first half is a warm and cuddly prologue to the straight up :stare: :stare: :stare: second half. Holy. poo poo.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

At one point, Grigori notes how instead of coming off the drugs before competition, Putin wants to continue doping the athletes through the games. That's something that's really only possible because of this system and how it relates to the games being in Sochi.

So basically, what happens in Rio or elsewhere would be that they dope, RUSADA and Grigori's lab work together to hide the positive drug tests during the training leading up to the Olympics, then the athletes get off of the drugs in advance of Rio so that they won't be flagged while at the games.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha! Thanks.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I quite like documentaries about how factories work. Stuff like the BBC's "Inside the Factory", for instance. But are there any documentaries about the companies that design the factories and all the intricate conveyors and odd little devices that make up a factory?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagacity posted:

I quite like documentaries about how factories work. Stuff like the BBC's "Inside the Factory", for instance. But are there any documentaries about the companies that design the factories and all the intricate conveyors and odd little devices that make up a factory?

Ha! While I don't have the answer to your question, I've always wanted to do a documentary about how factories and assembly line machines (machines with very specific jobs) are made and how that R&D is done.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
That's precisely the documentary I'd like to watch :allears:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This was in D&D but its a pretty interesting thing I didn't know anything about.

Chasseurs de Skins (headhunters) , a French documentary on the anti-fascist and anti racist punk scene in Paris.

https://youtu.be/UU07m_Cr-jg

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Anyone know a good doc on Nikola Tesla? I know there's quite a few so I'd rather not wade through the boring ones.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

d0grent posted:

Anyone know a good doc on Nikola Tesla? I know there's quite a few so I'd rather not wade through the boring ones.

I've only seen Master of Lightning but it's definitely good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

d0grent posted:

The Prestige? Haha

But seriously, if you've never seen it, David Bowie plays Tesla.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Has anyone watched LA 92? I saw a trailer for it and meant to keep an eye out for it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Has anyone watched LA 92? I saw a trailer for it and meant to keep an eye out for it.

Yeah I have and I recommend it heavily. I saw it on Hulu I think. It was very in depth too.

What are some good documentaries on Chernobyl or just the cold war in general?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fursonas is on Prime now.

I started it thinking "oh, it's gonna be a puff piece on how furries are totally cool" but it very quickly becomes "Uncle Kage is a goddamn monster, the L. Ron Hubbard of the furry community"

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Watched "They call us Monsters" on Netflix this evening. The attorney that represented Jared was a flipping joke and belongs in the cell herself.

Decent flick that was a bit infuriating and sad.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I have and I recommend it heavily. I saw it on Hulu I think. It was very in depth too.

What are some good documentaries on Chernobyl or just the cold war in general?

Saw this one about Chernobyl and thought it was very good. Stylistically a bit dated but a pretty solid overview of what happened - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5GTvaW34O0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Sagacity posted:

Not really about a factory but "Farewell, Etaoin Shrdlu" will probably scratch that itch. It's a short documentary from the 70's about the printing process of the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/insider/100000004687429/farewell-etaoin-shrdlu.html