Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Lol, from a 60/100 review

"The catch is that equipment must be unlocked through leveling up (more points are given when your team wins a match) and buying items at a shop, which can only be reached by exiting the online lobby and walking your character across a puny hub. Having to gain levels feels like the result of Nintendo just throwing in a deliberate RPG-like element into the game experience in order to extend playtime. More preferable would have been to make all weapons and armor available at the beginning of the game in order to reward strategic thinking and skill immediately and make battles more fascinating in general. This more open approach would also have made the shop unnecessary and thus reduced the amount of time a player has to spend with menus and the game's garrulous merchant.

Perhaps Nintendo includes the busywork of a leveling system to distract players from the fact that they're limited to playing on a paltry number of maps for arbitrary periods of time. In any case, the developer could have made a better game if it had increased the variety of environments one might interact in within a given slot of time (a la Overwatch)."

Yeah let's just start with everything unlocked and no leveling up, hurrrr. The slow-drip of unlocks and updates is half the fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I usually hate leveling systems and gating content behind walls but for some reason it really works for me in splatoon. Heck I even liked ordering clothes off people and having to wait an irl day for it to arrive, even though I know that'd irritate me in another game. Maybe splatoon is just that fresh. I don't think that reviewer is inherently wrong, but I don't agree with his broader point.

Also that reviews reads like it was written by someone being actively shoved into a locker.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
There is a conversation to be had about making everything unlocked off the bat in an online game and Splatoons map rotation system, but that dude needs a wedgie.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Games with everything unlocked at the start are boring, no thanks game reviewer dude.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 22, 2017

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Unlocks are fun, except in local multiplayer games where multiplayer stuff is unlocked in singleplayer mode. The map rotation's ok, I was able to get used to just two maps at a time in the demo instead of having to learn everything at once. Lets you get into a groove. I hope that we don't have the same maps at the same time each day, though, that'd suck

These Callie/Marie amiibos are hard to get

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Unlocks are cool and good as long as they don't require too much grinding, don't gate certain OP things behind hard/rare tasks, or don't try to sell me everything for :10bux:

In Splat 1 you could buy poo poo in whatever order you wanted based on what you thought was fresh. Nothing is especially locked (except the amiibo armor okay fine) so you can spend your coins on just the stuff you personally want. That is a good system.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bandaid.friend posted:

These Callie/Marie amiibos are hard to get

yeah, if there's actually content locked behind them Nintendo needs to do another run

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So the Amiibos just directly grant outfits this time with no challenge maps, right?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
If you didn't get those amiibos immediately you don't deserve them

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lemming posted:

If you didn't get those amiibos immediately you don't deserve them

I got them just as figures.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You can jump to the shops straight from the menu if you really don't want to stroll around the plaza looking for fresh posts.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pearl looks good in some fanart

Infinitum posted:

Pearl fanart - Interesting and creative art
Marina fanart - Hey yo check out dese Squiddy Tiddies

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Marina's not a squid, you racist.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

This guy's stuff owns

https://twitter.com/cyan_beans/status/874121581836070912

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

some cephalopods have tiddies, get over it.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Deltron 3030 posted:

Yeah let's just start with everything unlocked and no leveling up, hurrrr. The slow-drip of unlocks and updates is half the fun.

I grew sick of it in the CoD games. I don't have time to unlock everything anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Deltron 3030 posted:

Yeah let's just start with everything unlocked and no leveling up, hurrrr.
i agree

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Deltron 3030 posted:

Having to gain levels feels like the result of Nintendo just throwing in a deliberate RPG-like element into the game experience in order to extend playtime.

I'm looking forward to this reviewer being dumped on by Call of Duty fans.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cnUseypM-A

This version of Port Mackerel looks so much better it's crazy.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Oh man the 3rd party amiibo card market is going to go crazy if there are good benefits to Callie and Marie, or if there are hard to craft loadouts.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Get hosed people who didn't buy splatoon amiibo like, 2-3 months ago when they were all readily available and on mega discount.

I can't wait for the inevitable Pearl and Marina amiibo. I got the new girl and boy ones too although I didn't really want another squid so I got them separately instead of the three pack.

Also I'm probably going to get a personal amiibo card of my character's preferred look because holy poo poo why would I carry an amiibo around with me when a card makes it way easier.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

OMG I love Kirby Squid.

Anyway, the most lol review I've seen is someone trying hard to make the case that Splatoon 2 is a port.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Link that good poo poo

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Zelder posted:

Link that good poo poo

https://youtu.be/W8XEYwq3YN8

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'll be dead in the cold cold ground before I watch a YouTube review but thank you

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Zelder posted:

I'll be dead in the cold cold ground before I watch a YouTube review but thank you

My god, I thought I was the only one.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Video game reviews are garbage anyway :ssh:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That's kinda what we're getting at.

Or do you mean in general, because agreed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I kinda forgot hammerhead is really bad for splat zones

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

LethalGeek posted:

I kinda forgot hammerhead is really bad for splat zones

Not for official Splatoon tournaments apparently.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I never had a Wii U, and I preordered this because it looks pretty darn fun. Thats my story.

Whats the range on the uh, sniper rifles? Can they hit people across the entire map or is there a range limit to it?

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Stringbean posted:

I never had a Wii U, and I preordered this because it looks pretty darn fun. Thats my story.

Whats the range on the uh, sniper rifles? Can they hit people across the entire map or is there a range limit to it?

There's a limit. different ones have different ranges.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

OMG I love Kirby Squid.

Anyway, the most lol review I've seen is someone trying hard to make the case that Splatoon 2 is a port.

They're saying that not much has changed and that it's just more Splatoon, which seems to be a fairly valid point to make? :shrug:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

man I can't wait for this gosh dang game

I hope my old friends the Luna Blaster [ranked] and N-Zap '89 [turf] are still dope

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/TristanACooper/status/887465127980797952

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Marina is the best

I'm going with that now, lil'judd is past-judd.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Actually all that time in the cryo chamber mutated Jude's genes. He now reproduces via budding and Lil' Judd is the first result of that

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I can't wait for Splatoon 3 when we get to meet Big Judd

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

They're saying that not much has changed and that it's just more Splatoon, which seems to be a fairly valid point to make? :shrug:

No, calling a game that changes as much as Splatoon 2 does a port is stupid.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Inscrutable Judd.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kelp Plankton posted:

It turns out they work like Matryoshka dolls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No, calling a game that changes as much as Splatoon 2 does a port is stupid.

Inscrutable Judd.

Eh, if you're trying to be a faceless YouTube personality, you gotta come up with something else to get the clicks besides "stupid agape face pretending to be in shock at something."