Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Is there a complete write up on this somewhere? I was always interested in finding out the full story and what became of the owner.
If there was, it's gone in some disused tech forum's archives now. All I know about it is scattered forum posts is that he had several DUIs, and he fired all of his employees while on meth and pawned everything he got to buy more of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

http://www.3dcenter.org has new info that lists Coffee Lake i5s as six core without HT and a smaller cache. Thanks Ryzen!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

eames posted:

http://www.3dcenter.org has new info that lists Coffee Lake i5s as six core without HT and a smaller cache. Thanks Ryzen!

But are they going to be price competitive?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

If CL ain't as finicky on DDR4 support as AMD I'm gonna stick with Intel again.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

I was just going to say, there is no reason for i3s to exist as slightly higher clocked pentiums and the only good pick from that list (other than "just buy i5/Ryzen") from that list is the G4560.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Palladium posted:

If CL ain't as finicky on DDR4 support as AMD I'm gonna stick with Intel again.

Skylake-X does 4400MHz quad channel and 4800MHz dual channel and I'd be surprised if Coffee-Lake isn't at least the same.

I'd be betting on 1DPC kits hitting 5000MHz rated, which could lead to a satisfying parallel with expected CPU OC speeds.

eames
May 9, 2009

Coffee Lake to be compatible with some 100 and 200 series motherboards

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/886940741599145984

and a poster on anandtech who appears to have insider info claims turbo clocks will be higher than 7700K and i5s will match the 7700K in multithreaded performance.
If that's all true CL-S may indeed be able to reach 5 GHz with sufficient cooling, so it'll be the best gaming CPU for a long time unless AMD knocks it out of the park.

It seems like desktop Cannon Lake was cancelled and will focus on power consumption, EMIB and a more modular architecture.

as always those are rumors :salt:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

It seems like desktop Cannon Lake was cancelled and will focus on ...EMIB and a more modular architecture.
You mean gluing things together? I thought that was a no-no?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Combat Pretzel posted:

You mean gluing things together? I thought that was a no-no?

No, no, no. When Intel does it it's a holistic multi-component solution.

eames
May 9, 2009

GENTLEMEN IT IS A METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR STACKING A PLURALITY OF CORES

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4051541-suerte-de-capote-intels-cannonlake-leaked-patent

I don't want to read the g-word ever again.

eames fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 18, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Traces on a PCB or traces on a underlying die, is there supposed to be a huge difference? The die would probably allow for a denser setup, but latency wise, there's probably going to be similar fun?

--edit: Oh, the memory and bus stuff is on that die.

Stacked dies and overclocking probably won't go that well together.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 18, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah from what I understand EMIB is going to be a more flexible variant of Infinity Fabric. AMD beat them to market but Intel's version is going to be more flexible and will allow their big customers to configure their own dies like AMD does for the consoles.
I'm sure Apple would be happy to have their proprietary ARM chip design for the Secure Enclave, TouchID and Touch bar integrated into the CPU (or SOC really) package.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Stacked dies and overclocking probably won't go that well together.

Yeah, that's why I think that a 5 GHz CFL-S would dominate pure desktop gaming performance for a long time unless Intel achieves huge IPC gains out of nowhere (won't happen) or they put a huge cache on their future chips (not cost effective).

eames fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 18, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So if there's a CL-S, will there be a CL-T variant? Just wondering if it's real or just a myth...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I dont think T is a specific variant in Intel's lineup, it's just a subset of S series chips binned down. As far as we know, Coffee Lake will serve as a "stop gap" for everything that had Cannon Lake delayed. So that will be all of the S (desktop) and H (performance laptop) series. U and Y (thin/light and tablet) will go straight to Cannon Lake "as planned", although still with 1 extra refresh in there than Intel anticipated, late this year or early next year.

The lower TDP Coffee Lake stuff isn't going to show up until Feb '18, though. Only the high performance stuff is launching in August of this year.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

S is "standard" leak destop runts now (it used to be the "slightly more efficient" runt sku until Haswell where it ended up being better than the regular "non-K"s in both efficiency and performance)

Ts are mobile chips with idle voltages too high to be used for laptops

eames posted:

If this isn't just rumor milling, this is probably the first smart move Intel has done this year.

OTOH, three chipsets on one socket being highly unusual for Intel. Core Duo era chipset clusterfuck, boys :unsmigghh:

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 18, 2017

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

At this rate I can stick with my devils canyon chip until 2k20. I would have liked to upgrade to DDR4 since I didn't upgrade my ram while DDR3 was cheap...

eames
May 9, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

OTOH, three chipsets on one socket being highly unusual for Intel. Core Duo era chipset clusterfuck, boys :unsmigghh:

I didn't believe the 100/200 series rumor when I first read it but yeah, it'd make sense to try and keep potential upgraders on the Intel platform rather than making them switch to Ryzen/AM4 because they'd need a new 1151v3 board anyway.

OTOH the number of people buying CPUs and Motherboards is probably tiny compared to OEM sales so this is more about mindshare than anything else.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

eames posted:

I didn't believe the 100/200 series rumor when I first read it but yeah, it'd make sense to try and keep potential upgraders on the Intel platform rather than making them switch to Ryzen/AM4 because they'd need a new 1151v3 board anyway.

OTOH the number of people buying CPUs and Motherboards is probably tiny compared to OEM sales so this is more about mindshare than anything else.

I wonder if its gonna be something like quad core Coffee Lake works on Z170+, but you will need Z370 for the six core models. Would make sense from a routing perspective.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What additional routing would the 6 core need?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What additional routing would the 6 core need?

It's the same 14nm+ process as Kaby, so I imagine power delivery will be different for a bigger, 6 core design and associated caches than the previous 4 core ones. Maybe they designed the socket with that extra power in mind from the start, but it sorta seems unlikely given that 1155 was already on the way when they realized 10nm was a disaster and they needed 2 generations of filler before Cannon Lake would be ready.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I would not replace my z170 board to get a hexcore but if I could put one in it I probably would.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
EMIB is a packaging technique to avoid interposers but get the speed and electrical benefits

Intel's equivalent of infinity fabric is omnipath or QPI

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

eames posted:

Hmm...Do I build (or buy) a 6C/6T 8600K rig this fall or do I wait until my 2500K system shits the bed before finally upgrading? It would mostly be for gaming not for audio/video production or insane levels of multitasking.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

spasticColon posted:

Hmm...Do I build (or buy) a 6C/6T 8600K rig this fall or do I wait until my 2500K system shits the bed before finally upgrading? It would mostly be for gaming not for audio/video production or insane levels of multitasking.

If you are the guys who keep their CPUs for 5 years it makes little sense not to just spend $100 more for the top-binned HT and 4GHz+ stock clocked part plus the resale value. There are already games where even a stock 2600K beats a heavily OCed 2500K thanks to '~.more threads.~'

Besides, these ain't the days where OCing a Celeron 300A to 450MHz will save ~$500 just on the CPU and get 95% of the performance versus a P3-500 while both would be completely obsoleted just 2 years later either way.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 19, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Can someone please interpret the insane Intel system for me and recommend a high-clock/low-core (>= 3 GHz, 6-10C) and a low-clock (<3 GHz, 8-16 core) choice of E5 Xeons (2011-3) that gives me the best value for my money in a very shallow low-end build, let's say $200-400 budget? I could probably run up to 90W or so under non-AVX load. Real TDP, not paper TDP. Retail only, no ES/QS, but used is fine (even encouraged to get the cost down, I'm A-OK with server farm pulls).

(I realize those numbers are probably hilariously optimistic but I'm totally willing to take whatever works and is cheap as long as it's a retail chip. I'm pricing out the Plans B to Threadripper for a luxury home NAS with a big-gun Xeon build.)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 19, 2017

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

eames posted:

Yeah from what I understand EMIB is going to be a more flexible variant of Infinity Fabric.
As Malcom XML already mentioned EMIB is Intel's take on the interposer as a means to connect multiple dies together. Its supposed to be cheaper and easier to do than a interposer while offering the same degree of performance benefits but there doesn't appear to be much information about it still, at least publicly, to back that up. Intel started talking about it all the way back in late 2014 and was supposedly going to have some products using EMIB out for server stuff in 2016 or so but nothing has materialized yet and they've been fairly quiet about it for a while now.

eames posted:

I'm sure Apple would be happy to have their proprietary ARM chip design for the Secure Enclave, TouchID and Touch bar integrated into the CPU (or SOC really) package.
I think it'd be more reasonable to expect Intel to target server stuff 1st with EMIB and desktop products, or semi customized desktop chips like you're talking about, to come a year or 2 later. Its really on the high end/high cost products that stuff like interposers or EMIB seems to make more sense for unfortunately.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think 2011-3 is too new to get really good used deals yet. 2011 has some interesting options flooding the market from recent datacenter upgrades, the 2650 and 2670 are 8 core options with different clock speeds and wattages, The 2651 is a 12 core option still in the sub 150 range. They're all 2011 processors though, the 2650 and 2670 are Sandybridges and the 2651 is an Ivybridge.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

Palladium posted:

If you are the guys who keep their CPUs for 5 years it makes little sense not to just spend $100 more for the top-binned HT and 4GHz+ stock clocked part plus the resale value. There are already games where even a stock 2600K beats a heavily OCed 2500K thanks to '~.more threads.~'

Besides, these ain't the days where OCing a Celeron 300A to 450MHz will save ~$500 just on the CPU and get 95% of the performance versus a P3-500 while both would be completely obsoleted just 2 years later either way.
Can you honestly say that games in the next 5 years will generally start utilizing more than 4 threads? I know they will eventually, but 5 years seems like a very short lapse in a slow evolving market that is usually dictated by the console segment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Otakufag posted:

Can you honestly say that games in the next 5 years will generally start utilizing more than 4 threads? I know they will eventually, but 5 years seems like a very short lapse in a slow evolving market that is usually dictated by the console segment.

They already use 8 threads.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

A handful use lots of threads (GTA/Civ), the rest use like two most of the time.

I don't think there's gonna be a sudden explosion in CPU parallelism. People predicted that 8 years ago (hence Bulldozer), and it never happened.

But if intel slots the new 6's in where the Kaby 4's are pricewise, I would probably spring for the 6+HT cuz why not. Worth the extra $100 to add some extra future proofing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can someone please interpret the insane Intel system for me and recommend a high-clock/low-core (>= 3 GHz, 6-10C) and a low-clock (<3 GHz, 8-16 core) choice of E5 Xeons (2011-3) that gives me the best value for my money in a very shallow low-end build, let's say $200-400 budget? I could probably run up to 90W or so under non-AVX load. Real TDP, not paper TDP. Retail only, no ES/QS, but used is fine (even encouraged to get the cost down, I'm A-OK with server farm pulls).

(I realize those numbers are probably hilariously optimistic but I'm totally willing to take whatever works and is cheap as long as it's a retail chip. I'm pricing out the Plans B to Threadripper for a luxury home NAS with a big-gun Xeon build.)

A bit optimistic, yes. Within just Broadwell, your best options at that range are E5-2620 v4 (8C/16T, 2.1 base/3.0 max turbo) and E5-1630v4 (4C/8T, 3.7/4.0). To get 6+ cores at 3+ GHz you need to go up to at least the E5-1650 v4 (6C/12T, 3.6/4.0) for $617.

Here's a list of Socket 2011 Xeons - if you zoom out enough you'll get a sortable price column to go with the cores/speeds.

e: Oh, and you're not going to get over 3GHz and under 90W for cheap - the 1630 above is 140W TDP. E5-2618L v4 is 10C/20T 2.2/3.2 in 75W but it's $779.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2017

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm pricing out the Plans B to Threadripper for a luxury home NAS with a big-gun Xeon build.

Just use Threadripper.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Cygni posted:

A handful use lots of threads (GTA/Civ), the rest use like two most of the time.

I don't think there's gonna be a sudden explosion in CPU parallelism. People predicted that 8 years ago (hence Bulldozer), and it never happened.

But if intel slots the new 6's in where the Kaby 4's are pricewise, I would probably spring for the 6+HT cuz why not. Worth the extra $100 to add some extra future proofing.
Might happen with the next generation of AMD-based consoles considering how bottlenecked the current generation has been with pre-Ryzen CPUs, but who knows what happens before that.

It seems a little crazy that devs don't commit resources to it.

My i5-760 is old as hell (8y?), and I remember all the times I waited for something amazing to come along. Ryzen is the only one to really make things look different, but it's gonna take a Zen+ before I find it polished enough to try.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/883985273683681280

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Otakufag posted:

quite a few games run substantially better on equivalently clocked i7s than i5s; it's really up to you whether you think that's worth it at the point of purchase to eke out that last bit of perf. note that it's pretty much impossible to 'future proof' when building a pc so just go with what suits you best. ryzen could end up magically curbstomping its contemporaries in the magical multithreaded benchmarks of the future but there's no way to actually know for sure.

ufarn posted:

Might happen with the next generation of AMD-based consoles considering how bottlenecked the current generation has been with pre-Ryzen CPUs, but who knows what happens before that.

It seems a little crazy that devs don't commit resources to it.

My i5-760 is old as hell (8y?), and I remember all the times I waited for something amazing to come along. Ryzen is the only one to really make things look different, but it's gonna take a Zen+ before I find it polished enough to try.

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/883985273683681280

ehhh i think the bottlenecks with the current gen really lie with gpu power and memory bandwidth more than anything else. the jaguar cores aren't too bad, at least compared to their amd desktop contemporaries. while there seem to be pretty hard limits on how much you can multithread games, a lot of cpu bottleneck issues can probably be laid at the feet of devs. not that it's necessarily their fault; it's just that the hectic pace of game development is pretty much the personification of the 'the moment it works, ship it' philosophy

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 19, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

CPU performance in gaming may not matter much at 30 (console) or 60 FPS (PC) but it does matter at higher refresh rates.
Destiny 2 performance will be interesting to watch. The dev comments make it sound like a heavily multithreaded game that'll run fine at 30 FPS on a PS4 Pro or Xbox One but requires serious CPU horsepower to drive anywhere near 144 FPS on the PC.
If these types of game engines become more common in the near future then 4C/4T potatoes of any clockspeed will run trouble.
Then again you could argue that most people with i5 PCs don't own high refresh rate panels and you'd probably be right. :shobon:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have an i7 and an xb271; checks out.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anyone have experience delidding a 6700k? I have one core that gets 13C hotter than the others when playing some games, up to 86C spikes at times. Fairly certain the cryorig h7 is mounted properly with max-4 paste and I have no desire to go water. My idles temps are between 25-30C.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 19, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Otakufag posted:

Streaming geometry games will probably be able to profit from it, so long the IO subsystem can keep up. With SSDs, unpacking data takes way longer, so if you can spread it across multiple threads, the more you can prevent pop in. As far as CPU based stuff goes, most rendering engines have task based systems to spread things that can be done independently across multiple threads. If procedural generation starts to pick up more, that should also be plenty parallelizable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So it's an a+ Dwarf Fortress upgrade. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

ehhh i think the bottlenecks with the current gen really lie with gpu power and memory bandwidth more than anything else. the jaguar cores aren't too bad, at least compared to their amd desktop contemporaries. while there seem to be pretty hard limits on how much you can multithread games, a lot of cpu bottleneck issues can probably be laid at the feet of devs. not that it's necessarily their fault; it's just that the hectic pace of game development is pretty much the personification of the 'the moment it works, ship it' philosophy

https://youtu.be/LjjRdrVAHCQ