Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Okay okay then I just agree with the last one about the hyperbole.

So we should only be positive about WWE? Come on, people loving something shouldn't make you want to see it less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

So we should only be positive about WWE? Come on, people loving something shouldn't make you want to see it less.

Of course not. I watched the matches. They were loving spectacular matches. It's more that I think rewriting the book on ratings twice in a few months because of how incredible it supposedly was is a bit excessive. That's all. It feels like trying too hard. And trust me, I know all about that.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Of course not. I watched the matches. They were loving spectacular matches. It's more that I think rewriting the book on ratings twice in a few months because of how incredible it supposedly was is a bit excessive. That's all. It feels like trying too hard. And trust me, I know all about that.

Twice? You are aware that Dave gave out a six star match back in 1989, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Twice? You are aware that Dave gave out a six star match back in 1989, right?

And again for All Japan in the mid 90s.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

And again for All Japan in the mid 90s.

Fine but I just think it's a little silly, especially given how rare 5 star matches are anyway. I'm not trying to impugn the quality of NJPW, Okada, or Omega either on their own or in relation to anything else. I just think the extent of the love affair is a little much.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If you think it's over-rated but can't name anything better, what is it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Fine but I just think it's a little silly, especially given how rare 5 star matches are anyway. I'm not trying to impugn the quality of NJPW, Okada, or Omega either on their own or in relation to anything else. I just think the extent of the love affair is a little much.

In the aftermath of the match NJPW World subscriptions shot up 20% and Kenny Omega became way more in demand than he'd ever been, it's hard for one match to have more of an impact on a company.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

If the match had been anywhere but Japan, Big Dave would have only given it *****3/4

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I watched their first match the other day having never seen a match with either of them save Omega's against that 9 year old. I heard people say it was an amazing match, but I also remember people saying that Paige was going to totally change the Divas division for the better, so I didn't pay much attention to them.

Fuckin' match blew me away. Definitely the best match I've seen and if the 2nd one is supposed to be even better, I don't think it's just mindless overhyping.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have for one, never felt like accusing Meltzer of overrating anything. I may not always agree with the guy, but I can't fault him for liking what he likes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Omega/Okada isn't in my top 10 all time but I sure won't argue such a tiny difference of opinion when so many people reacted that way.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

There is no human being on earth who cares less about star ratings than Dave Meltzer. He only does it because for some reason people care about them a lot, so acting like there's some sort of purity to them is incredibly stupid.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 26, 2017

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dave's ratings for matches he saw in person deserve much more conversation than NJPW ratings people complain about.

It's also kind of endearing when Dave tries to separate the mask vs. mask ceremony from the match itself. Like somebody is going to stop watching Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero at the finish and get mad the bell to bell action was well below Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Dave's ratings for matches he saw in person deserve much more conversation than NJPW ratings people complain about.

It's also kind of endearing when Dave tries to separate the mask vs. mask ceremony from the match itself. Like somebody is going to stop watching Atlantis vs. Ultimo Guerrero at the finish and get mad the bell to bell action was well below Dragon Lee vs. Kamaitachi.

Wrestling fans have proven that in fact someone will.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

In the aftermath of the match NJPW World subscriptions shot up 20% and Kenny Omega became way more in demand than he'd ever been, it's hard for one match to have more of an impact on a company.

Well that's loving impressive as hell! I dunno, maybe I'm underrating it. Ignore me I guess.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

rare Magic card l00k posted:

There is no human being on earth who cares less about star ratings than Dave Meltzer. He only does it because for some reason people care about them a lot, so acting like there's some sort of purity to them is incredibly stupid.

People obsessing about his star ratings are far worse than any star rating he's ever given

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"lets all listen to the numbers the dumb autism man says, and not believe in our own justice" - The Marks, 198x - 2017

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dave overrated the pwg 5* match and it hurts me to say it.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I can't wait for the Usos to split up so Left Uso can finally show his superiority over Right Uso.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Endless Mike posted:

I can't wait for the Usos to split up so Left Uso can finally show his superiority over Right Uso.

I miss when only one of them wore a shirt. Shirt Uso and No Shirt Uso was the best configuration of Usos

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
wrong thread im dumb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

best configuration was when the samoan fat genes hit one of them about a year before the other one

now they're both fat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Endorph posted:

best configuration was when the samoan fat genes hit one of them about a year before the other one

now they're both fat

That was when one wore a shirt

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Remember when an Uso got injured and the other Uso did commentary because they were afraid he'd get over as a singles star and the crowd would resent the injured one when he came back.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Web Jew.0 posted:

Remember when an Uso got injured and the other Uso did commentary because they were afraid he'd get over as a singles star and the crowd would resent the injured one when he came back.

Well he's related to Roman OF COURSE he will get over

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Defiance Industries posted:

Well he's related to Roman OF COURSE he will get over

The Rock only got over because people knew that Roman Reigns would be along in 15 years.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

Yes, this is the problem with the storyline.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guy posts list of every move Roman Reigns did in his last match.

He then blocked me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/BohsJohnny/status/887096730419961856
:psyduck:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maybe it's that irony stuff you hear about these days.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

I was catching up on this thread and lmao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

He's always been like this. I used to post on DVDVR and he was a schmuck then, too.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

I literally have no idea who this is, I've tweeted about wrestling maybe three times ever (once calling Vince Russo a moron and twice generic questions to Dave) and he has me blocked. Please if you're posting some :psyduck: inducing tweet from an idiot, use the screenshot feature.

Thanks posting friends!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I literally have no idea who this is, I've tweeted about wrestling maybe three times ever (once calling Vince Russo a moron and twice generic questions to Dave) and he has me blocked. Please if you're posting some :psyduck: inducing tweet from an idiot, use the screenshot feature.

Thanks posting friends!

here you go friend

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So the Big Guy is a real big pile of garbage. Who would have thought?

https://twitter.com/nicolesbrianna/status/887425838341382145/video/1

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"Women should use their sexuality, it's very subtle" he says, only example he's given being that they should get on the top rope and shake their rear end.

Also the other guy calling Trish's implants "gimmicks" :discourse:

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
But wait, there's more! He posted this as a reply later on, via snapchat. Someone took it and uploaded it to Streamable.

https://streamable.com/qapmh

He is literally this tweet right now:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He's spent two weeks on his podcast defending that by saying he was joking when he said women can't climb ladders with no mention of the "you should smile more" esque stuff