Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I'd definitely agree bear only hitting cards coming directly from hand helps weather monsters, since it won't hit eggs and foglets. I still find it annoying to play against with other decks though, still feels like it gets a lot of value :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I'm not honestly sure if this meta, now that it's settled, is any better than axemen. Who could have guessed that after removing every efficient punish to row stacking except gigni, every good deck would start using thunderbolt, minion spam, and gigni.

Gigni, as insanely good and stupidly easy to trigger as it is, is in 50%+ of all decks and isn't doing anything to stem dagon swarm. I think bekker's is really stupid as well, massive swings for basically monsters and only monsters.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
This meta is way better than Axemen. Every faction has at least two high-tier competitive decks (I guess you could quibble about Skellige here). I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's much, much better than the silliness that was Axemen.

Play Lacerate. :)

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
Any one playing Northern Realms armor based list? This is what I'm currently running - found on gwent db at the start of the current patch

Cards I like:
Bronze:
Redanian Elite - Starts off small, but can get pretty swole. These guys are pretty core to the deck idea.
Dun Banner Heavy Calvary - Also starts small, but are used to break armor on your Elites to buff them up, and them selves. Usually comes out around 11, but can be higher/lower depending on the match.
Immune Boost - These are used to refresh armor on your Elites, to get them a 2nd round of +5, or your Witchers/Knight Elects to keep them boosting.

Silver:
Sile De Tansarville - Useful for playing out immune boost, and getting a card. Wow!

Gold:
Shani - Most often used on Redanian Elites or Dun Banner Heavy Calvary in round 3. If you do resurrect a DBHC, they can eat the 4 armor from themselves rather then a Knight Elect (I didn't realize this at first though it might be obvious.)

Cards I don't like:
Bronze:
Reaver Scout - I understand why this card is in the deck, and using it to pull what you need if you've only drawn one is great. They suck when you draw too many and none of the cards you need, or block a sweet epidemic off Keira. They do provide another body for Knight Elects to buff however.

Silver:
Witchers 3 - Silver cards in NR, and this deck seems to suck. They are great backup targets for Immune Boost, and round 3 tempo/points. I just don't like that they eat all the silver slots.

The rest of the cards are pretty much just filler.

Redanian Knight Elects - These are like a false lock target most of the time. You can usually row stack a Redanian Elite, Knight Elect, Redanian Elite, for your immune boost. Try to stagger the powers though. Play RE, then KE, then RE so that you won't get entirely destroyed by Scorch.
Marching Orders - If I have this I usually throw away Sile so she is another dandelion target. Use marching orders when you wanna play a Immune Boost, by playing Sile. Can also be used to fish a Thaler, or Witcher if you some how don't draw all three every mulligan.
Thaler - played in a round you won't win for card advantage/draw.
Dandelion - Mainly used on the Witchers, but sometimes Sile, and sometimes a Redanian Elite/ DBHC if you know you can pull it with a Reaver Scout.
Keira Mietz - Mostly used for Thunderbolt Potion on the Witchers, or wherever you have 3 units, just try to hit units in a way that they aren't all the same power. Very rarely you can hit a powerful epidemic (when all the carry over units are at the same hp) just don't eat your Reaver Scouts by mistake.
Geralt Igni: Kills big things, or a lot of small things. Can't run scorch. I tried, it goes badly for the Redanian Elites usually.

If any one has some insight on how to improve it, let me know! Here's some stats, but probably no where near enough to be useful!
All factions: 11-13 (46%)
Monsters: 3-1 (75%)
Nilfgaard: 3-2 (60%)
Northern Realms: 1-3 (25%)
Scoia'Teal: 2-5 (29%)
Skellige 2-2 (50%)

e: that monsters stat is probably a bit misleading, this isn't particularly good against them.

Nezkar fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 16, 2017

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
Been playing Eithne magic dorfs with pretty good success. Do well against skellige and northern realms decks(suck it control radovid), and ok against weather monsters. Definitely runs into trouble against swarm monsters and any nilfgaard decks that run both peter and auckes though.

I just had a match against queensguard skellige in the first round he johnny's for a silver and the only silver I have in my deck is roach. I go a couple cards down to take round 1 with some heavy dorfs, and play him down to his last card on round 2. He draws his only card, stares at it for a bit, then mulligans it and of course he draws my roach he johnny'd.

Cunning play.

Cunning play.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
They clearly realized big carryovers could be a problem when they nerfed olgierd and mork. Guess they just kind of forgot about all the bronze carryovers in monsters.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Does anyone have any positive thoughts about merigolds hailstorm

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Yeah, going back and winning my 18 rounds for the day with monsters was nuts.
I didn't get a single GG across any of those games and everyone ran Avallach for some inane reason.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I crafted hailstorm to deal with dwarves but now it's all swarm monster and nilfgaard decks that don't stack rows at all so I owned myself

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
the only situation where hailstorm beats dimetrium bomb is against, like, queensguard.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dwarves deck wasn't never that good. I've had opponents that could beat it in total strength value without teching against it, because their synergi combo was even stronger than mine.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Anyone got a good Calveit or Emhyr deck?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I saw a recent emhyr deck that seemed to be built around emisaries and nauzicaa (the ones that eat spy cards) and Assire so you can play them repeatedly.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/25995-rank-20-bounce-toolbox-control
http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/25357-freddybabes-tgo-top-16-calveit

Turin Turambar posted:

Dwarves deck wasn't never that good. I've had opponents that could beat it in total strength value without teching against it, because their synergi combo was even stronger than mine.

Dwarves are tier 1, yes other decks can match the pure strength in r1 but they don't get the 60 points worth of resilience for next round

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Calveit Ciri:Dash deck has proven fun and versatile for me. It's got great tempo early round one and finishes strong.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Started playing last week and one of the first rares I opened was Queensguard, which I immediately thought was really cool and possibly powerful so I've been playing SK resurrect/discard ever since. Reading through this thread though, apparently I'm huge degenerate but I think maybe it's not that good anymore or at least was never the most hated SK deck?

In any case, I'm having a lot of fun learning the game (currently level 7) and hovering over cards people play against me and watching them hover over mine. I love this place I'm in right now where I've discovered a really fun game but I don't know all the ins and outs yet. Some opponents seem to know exactly what my game plan is and they have as many rares as me, while others still seem to be playing the Starter Deck Plus Bits decks I was playing only a few days ago.

I crafted Cerys as my first gold even though I didn't think it would be super good and crafting a neutral would probably have been more useful, but that extra seven power feels crucial almost every time she hits the board. I always start the game with Bran -> dump 2 x QG and Cerys, then I boost the QGs with that silver guy if I have him in my hand, then based on what my opponent is doing I decide whether to pass round one to them (I usually do).

I think I have all of the good silvers for this deck but I really need to replace my starter Geralt and I guess Triss Merigold, though I think she's still pretty decent for a gold? My other gold is Ermion and he's super good almost every time I draw him (even if I don't have any discard guys, it lets me dig for more resurrect priests or the Captains which are often 14 power in round three).

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Just watch out for nilfgaard. Vicovaro medics can resurrect a unit from your graveyard onto their side. NG also has my favorite silver Assire who moves 2 cards from a graveyard back into the players deck. Most people just use her to recycle one of their own units, but she can completely trash a queensguard gameplan by shuffling 2 of them back into your deck.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah I've had the medic played against me, with unfortunate results. I played against a couple of consume Monsters last night and I was expecting they would consume my QGs because I swear that's happened to me before, but they didn't. Is there a commonly played consume card which can eat things in my graveyard?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Ghouls, but hardly anyone runs them anymore.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Katakan.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Foolish me, I didn't properly "tech" to deal with the 6 different fog effects that my Dagon opponent threw out (3 bronze fogs, Dagon, Woodland Spirit, Renew Woodland Spirit).

gently caress you Dagon, you're the only absolutely fun crushing deck to play against.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Heh, beat two Radovid control decks in a row tonight by baiting out their Shackles with a big gold unit (Tibor in one and a self-Letho in another) and then D-bombing their Borkh and locking it with Auckes. Not really planned either time, just happened to be holding the right cards, but drat if it wasn't fun.

NG is pretty good against Radovid, actually. Radovid doesn't have much tempo, so you can often get a big lead in R1 and then either win or have huge card advantage, and if you win, just dead-pass R2 and leave them with an anemic Baron. I really love how I can almost hear the opponent's eye twitching when there's a juicy cow bomb about to go off but nothing else for him to lock, as well. They always seem to obsess over cows; maybe because they don't run many units, I guess? I had one drop Yen on the third turn just to Chironex a cow that was gonna pop one 8-point unit, then he dropped an Epidemic the next turn to kill a cow that was about to kill the Chironex (which also killed the Chironex itself, of course...). :psyduck: To be fair, I think he just wanted to toss the Epidemic because he had a board full of 2-str spies, but it was still funny....

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I was thinking how, in a way, their generosity in Ranked is a caused of why people netdeck/use the 'cheap' popular decks of the moments so much.
If I would win something silly like cosmetic items I wouldn't care as much about winning, however the reality is that for example with rank 15 you get 6 kegs now and 16 more when the season ends. That's 22 kegs, that's an good incentive to play the most 'efficient' deck. Of course you always will have netdecking in a game like this, but maybe without the reward I would play more NR armor or elves or whatever.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Eh, it's the same in a game like HS with vastly shittier rewards.

It's pretty much impossible to get around that problem without abandoning the ladder system entirely, or at least I've never seen a game pull it off.

Plus people just like winning, and I'd bet like 75% of players at least would still be netdecking even if there was literally zero reward for it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The EOS rewards are that generous? I've reached rank 13 playing exclusively johnny ciri dash decks for the 6 round daily three times a week and conceding extremely early like a third of the time. I shouldn't be getting a prize for this...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

No Wave posted:

The EOS rewards are that generous? I've reached rank 13 playing exclusively johnny ciri dash decks for the 6 round daily three times a week and conceding extremely early like a third of the time. I shouldn't be getting a prize for this...

Yeah, it's honestly kind of nuts, I think you hit 10 kegs at less than 2k mmr, which you could reach with some absolutely abysmal 25% winrate deck. Plus the kegs for leveling up and the dailies. Between those and the constant refunds on nerfed cards, I basically have a complete collection now aside from some random trash legendaries and cards that pretty much don't see play, and I never bother to do anything more than the 6-round daily. I can't imagine how loaded people who spent money and / or grind a lot are.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Two straight matches where my starting hand contained 3 imperial golems, Assire and Roach. I think the game is trying to tell me something.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

dennyk posted:

Heh, beat two Radovid control decks in a row tonight by baiting out their Shackles with a big gold unit (Tibor in one and a self-Letho in another) and then D-bombing their Borkh and locking it with Auckes. Not really planned either time, just happened to be holding the right cards, but drat if it wasn't fun.

NG is pretty good against Radovid, actually. Radovid doesn't have much tempo, so you can often get a big lead in R1 and then either win or have huge card advantage, and if you win, just dead-pass R2 and leave them with an anemic Baron. I really love how I can almost hear the opponent's eye twitching when there's a juicy cow bomb about to go off but nothing else for him to lock, as well. They always seem to obsess over cows; maybe because they don't run many units, I guess? I had one drop Yen on the third turn just to Chironex a cow that was gonna pop one 8-point unit, then he dropped an Epidemic the next turn to kill a cow that was about to kill the Chironex (which also killed the Chironex itself, of course...). :psyduck: To be fair, I think he just wanted to toss the Epidemic because he had a board full of 2-str spies, but it was still funny....

Playing Radovid at 3400 I'm realizing more and more that a lot of my matchups are strongly dependent on my opponent misplaying. I don't know how good the deck is going to be when monsters representation drops.

This might change if I swapped out Roche for Ciri, but not sure.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Spell Radovid is a slightly underpowered deck that happens to have good matchups against Monsters and Dwarves, making it pretty well positioned on the ladder right now. Against a broader field it's not great.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Playing my resurrect/discard SK deck last night a NG opponent used his first turn to grab one of my QGs with the medic, then on his second turn he used his leader ability to return the medic and grab another one. I guess I should have played the one in my hand on my second turn to stop that, but then he could have just grabbed one later on after I strengthened it so I'm not sure.

I actually won the game in round three due to my 13 power captains and a Deployed Gremist turning two of his dead cows into raging bears. It felt like he made a really clever play on the second round by immediately passing to me, making me spend a card to win the round and then making me play first since I won the round (I'm not 100% sure but I think if you win a round you have to play first on the next one?)

In the last few turns of the game he played some abilities he'd obviously been saving which made us both draw cards, but my deck was empty. Pretty tense match!

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Kalko posted:

It felt like he made a really clever play on the second round by immediately passing to me, making me spend a card to win the round and then making me play first since I won the round (I'm not 100% sure but I think if you win a round you have to play first on the next one?)

You are correct, the winner of a round plays first next round. Dry-passing round 2 after winning round 1 is a common and effective strategy, enough so that people sometimes play a little bit of carryover like Olgierd specifically to prevent it.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

King Pawn posted:

You are correct, the winner of a round plays first next round. Dry-passing round 2 after winning round 1 is a common and effective strategy, enough so that people sometimes play a little bit of carryover like Olgierd specifically to prevent it.

Also one of the many reasons Caleano Harpies are the best bronze unit in the game. Blocking the round 2 quick pass is incredibly effective.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's also the elven wardancer fantasy but watching everyone dump all of theirs on round 1 indicates most people aren't that aware of it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
have you guys tried not losing round one? check mate.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Who wants a new weekly meta report? https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6o86an/weekly_meta_report_by_gwentup_1219_july/

quote:

Winrate Leaders Rating 3,5k+
Dagon 56%
Eredin 54,4%
Unseen Elder 53%
Eithne 52%
Foltest 51,4%
King Bran 49,8%
John Calveit 48%
Radovid 47,7%
Henselt 47,5%
Crach an Craite 46,1%
Brouver Hoog 46%
Francesca 43,1%
Harald the Cripple 43%
Morvran Voorhis 41,8%
Emhyr var Emreis 40,4%

Popularity Leaders Rating 3,5k+
Dagon 24,4%
Eithne 11,9%
Radovid 11,8%
Unseen Elder 11,6%
King Bran 11,1%
Eredin 5,7%
Foltest 5,5%
Morvran Voorhis 4,5%
John Calveit 4,5%
Henselt 4%
Brouver Hoog 2,2%
Francesca 0,9%
Crach an Craite 0,9%
Emhyr var Emreis 0,9%
Harald the Cripple 0,2%

By faction winrate (weighted for popularity) going here, WIP:
Monsters - Winrate: 54.95%, Popularity: 41.7%
Scoia'tael - Winrate: 50.59%, Popularity: 15%
Skellige - Winrate: 49.42%, Popularity: 12.2%
Northern Realms - Winrate: 48.62%, Popularity: 21.3%
Nilfgaard - Winrate: 44.49%, Popularity: 9.9%

Good job everyone, we've managed to lower Dagon's winrate from 60% to 56%.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Hey game's not bad so I don't really care that monsters is that good. Big changes are coming in august either way apparently.

The middle three factions are looking good tho, we're getting there.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Calveit at 48% isn't too bad. All the reveal NG players are dragging the entire faction down!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I think there's a problem when one faction has all three leaders well above 50%, two other leaders slightly above 50% and the rest are trash. And this is when monsters is already 40% of the meta and fully teched against.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

King Pawn posted:

Calveit at 48% isn't too bad. All the reveal NG players are dragging the entire faction down!

When they open with two mangonels and I instantly pass ruining their entire strategy, that's amore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

No Wave posted:

Hey game's not bad so I don't really care that monsters is that good. Big changes are coming in august either way apparently.

The middle three factions are looking good tho, we're getting there.

Oh yeah, this is miles better than the axeman and endless weather nightmare. At the start of this hotfix I hated playing dwarfs and consume, but as I've gotten familiar with them now they're a pretty fun challenge to play against. Dagon just sucks though.

I think Calveit's bump is from people abandoning spies for Dash decks.